Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footballer kills owl during football match

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

"It wasn't my intention to hit the animal. What I tried to do was wake it up so it could fly," Moreno said, according to Reuters.

JFC..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I don't think I'd have done it myself but to go on and imply he might have a predisposition towards violence against children is a bit obscene. This isn't some degenerate who boots his dog when his horses don't come in.

Actually cruelty to animals and cross species cruelty (ie people who are liable to inflict cruelty on animals dont stop with non human species) is well documented and first noticed and documented by the fbi, animal protection agencies in america report such criminals to the police in a pre emptive effort to prevent their violence crossing species.

In a study of 57 families being treated for incidents of child abuse, 88% also abused animals. In two-thirds of the cases, it was the abusive parent who had killed or injured the animals to control a child. In one-third, the children had abused the animals, using them as scapegoats for their anger. (Quoted from The American Humane Association)

Edit: to reiterate its not a sign of a healthy mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

steddyeddy wrote: »
    well hopefully more death threats to follow not that I want them followed through but maybe the scum involved will cop on and get help.
    numerous studies have been done indicating that people with an inclination towards animal abuse have tendencies towards child and spousal abuse. Putting the phrase "its just a" in front of the subject of the violence makes it any more acceptable, in the past "its only a" has been used to justify everything and anything that has been seen as inferior and fair game for violence. The more enlightened amongst us recognise that the will it takes to inflict pain on an animal is interchangeable with the will required to inflict pain on any living thing!
    In fairness kicking a downed animal isnt a reaction of a stable human being
    I couldnt care wheter he gets death threats as I said before I wouldnt want them followed through. Wheter or not he meant to kill it is irelevent. He saw a injured creature and his first reaction was to kick it. Truely a depraved man.
    They wont be followed through theres some extremists in animal welfare but saying that If it stops him doing it again good. Frustration during a game is no grounds to kick an injured animal.
    True its not to be expected in any situation but in that situation my instincts dont guide me to kick it, if they did id seek help.

http://www.springer.com/psychology/book/978-0-387-76661-4

May I suggest you read this before you hand out any advice on ones mental condition. For someone condoning death threats you should really look into ones self before sitting up there on your almighty high horse.

Just a point on the "frustration" (of a game by the way, a bloody game) I dont know how many times has a dog ran on the pitch during a game between friends in my youth and not one of us out of instinct or "frustration" ( if a frustrating game causes animal abuse how will more frustrating situations affect the person) kicked the animal to get of the pitch. Not a normal reaction, the civilised part of me would not see that as viable and im proud of that.

May I suggest you read this before you hand out any advice on ones mental condition. For someone condoning death threats you should really look into ones self before sitting up there on your almighty high horse.

Almighty high horse ha ha, if the ability to not kick an animal out of frustration paints me as holier than tho then things are getting bad. As i said i have no problem with the player getting death threats if it prevents him doing it again as i clarified i would have a problem with any violence towards the man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

To speak of such things is an entirely different thing altogether then to actually be in a position to act on them.
    One is of anger and frustration, the other..well, it's of a mental imbalance.
    Should do well to not get them mixed up.

As for the player, well, he's a scumbag. What more?

Almighty high horse ha ha, if the ability to not kick an animal out of frustration paints me as holier than tho then things are getting bad. As i said i have no problem with the player getting death threats if it prevents him doing it again as i clarified i would have a problem with any violence towards the man.

So rather than use proper methods to work with this man and possible issues he may have you would rather his life threatened and would condone possible threats?

You do realise in spousal abuse death threats are heavily linked right? Many Men use the death threat of a child against their spouse. Whether they ever follow through on hitting the child is another thing but the mere threat alone is enough to keep the spouse in the same house as her abuser out of fear he will bring harm to the child.

That book I pointed to you shows the link between death threats and many different situations that involves abuse or deaths or shootings. So before you condone death threats before more safer methods to deal with the issue of kicking a bird maybe do a bit of research into the affects of said threats.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

What a rat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

In fairness kicking a downed animal isnt a reaction of a stable human being

Have you ever done something stupid in the spur of the moment that you regretted and that was out of character and ill though out? I have and so have most people I know. If this guy expresses regret then stop the witch hunt, i am an aminal lover but I've seen people do just as bad to other people and the public stood by and did nothing!!

So rather than use proper methods to work with this man and possible issues he may have you would rather his life threatened and would condone possible threats?

You do realise in spousal abuse death threats are heavily linked right? Many Men use the death threat of a child against their spouse. Whether they ever follow through on hitting the child is another thing but the mere threat alone is enough to keep the spouse in the same house as her abuser out of fear he will bring harm to the child.

That book I pointed to you shows the link between death threats and many different situations that involves abuse or deaths or shootings. So before you condone death threats before more safer methods to deal with the issue of kicking a bird maybe do a bit of research into the affects of said threats.

Well I would rather proper methods be used of course and in fairness its hard for me to have sympathy for a man who does this to another animal but saying that it would be fair to say that someone who sends death threats is of course disturbed but inflicting injury on a creature like this is far worse than sending death threats. Both may have connections to abuse but actual abuse of a living creature is far more pressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I coulda sworn that video was fake... It just doesn't look real.

WHY WAS AN OWL ON THE PITCH?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

Kersmash wrote: »
    I coulda sworn that video was fake... It just doesn't look real.

WHY WAS AN OWL ON THE PITCH?

It was the other teams mascot :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Metallitroll

Absolutly low, that scum better not have kids. people who enjoy inflicting suffering on animals are more likely to inflict suffering on those weaker than them

incapacitated beauty meets big strapping beast, i've already voiced my grievances about this over in the fifa forum the fella is a complete bobo and an arrogant thicko, no paused football match is more important than that bird's life, not quite a rat with wings its a bizarre act to see, real touching moment of humanity looks all the more epic in slow mo.

i'd have thought he should have his career ended and imprisoned, however the owl was the home side's club mascot also i have heard mumblings of superstition/witchcraft, ju ju mumbo jumbo where it may have been considered bad luck/evil, but the bird had some serious bad luck finding itself incapacitated in the face of evil.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

For all we know this is a once off incident and when playing football, you get frustrated, should he have kicked the owl? No but he probably didn't mean to kill it. And despite your holier than thou attitude, you're the one who is encouraging him to get death threats, thats hardly the sign of an 'enlightened' empathetic person is it?

I believe that anyone that removes the life of any creature should or can have the same reciprocated, so while I condemn kicking a bird to death I don't mind if the person who does such faces the same faith.

Well I would rather proper methods be used of course and in fairness its hard for me to have sympathy for a man who does this to another animal but saying that it would be fair to say that someone who sends death threats is of course disturbed but inflicting injury on a creature like this is far worse than sending death threats. Both may have connections to abuse but actual abuse of a living creature is far more pressing.

Out of interest people who kill animals for game, Do you regard those folk as potential abusers?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tbh, it didn't look overly healthy before the guy kicked it.

Or perhaps it was just having a wee snooze on the pitch, before the guy hit it with the ball?

I'd say the kick didn't kill it, it was on the way out anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

What an absolute asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

NIMAN wrote: »
    tbh, it didn't look overly healthy before the guy kicked it.

Or perhaps it was just having a wee snooze on the pitch, before the guy hit it with the ball?

I'd say the kick didn't kill it, it was on the way out anyway.

A nocturnal creature on the middle of a football pitch during the day? I'd imagine it just didn't have a ****ing clue what was going on. this scumbag deserves nothing less than his balls in a vice, pure fúcking animal behaviour, hope he gets a serious taste of his own medicine some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

It's a shame as kids look up to footballers...although personally I don't think the majority of them would be great role models outside of owl kicking anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

mayordenis wrote: »
    I believe that anyone that removes the life of any creature should or can have the same reciprocated, so while I condemn kicking a bird to death I don't mind if the person who does such faces the same faith.

Get a grip!

You think he should be kicked to death because he kicked a bird off a pitch. I think I know who is a bigger sociopath.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

kowloon wrote: »
    Apparently he has received threats. Good.

Yeah. Hopefully he and his family will be executed for this. That would be good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

yekahS wrote: »
    Get a grip!

You think he should be kicked to death because he kicked a bird off a pitch. I think I know who is a bigger sociopath.

It's nothing off or out of the ordinary to put more value onto an animals life than it is a humans. Certainly nothing of a sociopathic nature.
    Especially when the animal has shown nothing but love to them and the human nothing but hate.

Out of interest people who kill animals for game, Do you regard those folk as potential abusers?

Glad you asked actually (by the way its not me who done the studies, take it up with the fbi) Personally I dont consider those who hunt for food in the same barrel as someone who delibratly wants to inflict suffering on an animal no, food is essential the desire to cause an animal suffering is not normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Glad you asked actually (by the way its not me who done the studies, take it up with the fbi) Personally I dont consider those who hunt for food in the same barrel as someone who delibratly wants to inflict suffering on an animal no, food is essential the desire to cause an animal suffering is not normal.

So if he ate it after kicking it then it would be ok!

Bosco boy wrote: »

:D I was about to ask the same thing myself.

steddyeddy whatever way you look at it you have told me that you would condone threats on anyone who purposely causes harm to animals. Killing an animal for food it purposely causing harm to the animal whether its for food or not. So by your own logic you would have to tar hunters with the same brush.

What I am glad is that the proper authorities in most cases investigate and send people to shrinks to make sure there is no deeper issue than a mistake where the person showed regret after. You do realise most abusers or killers never show regret for their actions. And the footballer did show regret.

I find it hilarious though to see people condone violence with violence or even the threat of violence. A tad hypocritical really. Just remember though when you threaten someone you strike fear in that person and everyone immediately close to them i.e family members.

Bosco boy wrote: »

no because the intent was to inflict suffering

steddyeddy whatever way you look at it you have told me that you would condone threats on anyone who purposely causes harm to animals. Killing an animal for food it purposely causing harm to the animal whether its for food or not. So by your own logic you would have to tar hunters with the same brush.

What I am glad is that the proper authorities in most cases investigate and send people to shrinks to make sure there is no deeper issue than a mistake where the person showed regret after. You do realise most abusers or killers never show regret for their actions. And the footballer did show regret.

I find it hilarious though to see people condone violence with violence or even the threat of violence. A tad hypocritical really. Just remember though when you threaten someone you strike fear in that person and everyone immediately close to them i.e family members.

The footballer regretted the fine and the ban. anyway bud whatever your views mine are that people who kick a sick animal are indeed themselves a sick animal. the threats were wrong especially for the mans family who did no wrong but t this moment im not having a heart bleeding moment for this piece of sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Basq wrote: »
    Not nearly harsh enough, but it's something - the principle that this sort of behaviour should not be tolerated.

Damn right it wasn't harsh enough, he should have had his bollocks chopped off!!!

As has been posted above, people who act this kind of way towards animals will inevitably do the same to their own children.

****ing scumbag!:mad:

Do you understand the difference in killing to attain satiety and killing,maiming torturing to achieve a good feeling?

• Advertisement

Do you understand the difference in killing to attain satiety and killing,maiming torturing to achieve a good feeling?

Firstly I do, Secondly nowhere did I condone the players actions. I merely chalenged two things you wrote. The first was the death and secondly the killing of animals. But not once did you convey maiming or torture the posts I replied to. You basically put it and I quote:
    "someone who delibratly wants to inflict suffering on an animal no,"

That is why I came back at you with the piece you just quoted. Next time make your feelings on the issue a tad more clearer. I hunt every year hence why I brought it up. All through your pieces you kept saying inflicting pain on animals. Killing an animal is inflicting pain and abuse no matter what way you look at it. Sure the end goal is different no arguments there.

The funny thing is you back tracked on the Death threats very quickly. First you condoned them and then you said they were wrong.

Advertisement