Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBS on stand by...

Options
  • 24-02-2011 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Just seen it on sky news the sbs are on stand buy to rescue stranded Britons in Libya.. Wonder how true it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

elius wrote: »
    Just seen it on sky news the sbs are on stand buy to rescue stranded Britons in Libya.. Wonder how true it is?

Radio four mentioned the SAS and the para special forces support group. HMS Cumberland is awaiting permission to dock and HMS York is en route.

I would imagine this is pretty normal and other countries have done the same. Reports this morning suggest Tripoli airport is descending into chaos so the UNSC may look to put a force in to secure it.

There was a Professor from Dublin interviewed on BBC radio four who had made it to Gatwick. Her accounts were pretty scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Am I the only one who turn off the news at the mention of SBS / SAS as you know what follows is bollicks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Am I the only one who turn off the news at the mention of SBS / SAS as you know what follows is bollicks

Most time's i would agree but given the political uncertain i wouldn't be so shore. The Middle east is awfully un-staple at the mo.

Extracting British citizens from situations like this, at short notice, is a fundamental role for both, so I doubt very much that it is crap.

There is also the added factor of sending a clear message that the UK isnt sitting on its hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I wouldn't be surprised at all, what's going on there is a lot more serious than what's being reported here. As said, there's no group better prepared for a rapid extraction at the BA's disposal than the SAS / SBS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The SBS/SAS are probably best placed to extract people from the remote areas of Libya. These areas will probably have an airstrip of some sort but ground security may be uncertain.

You send in your SAS helicopter and the troops can provide local security for the extraction in the event it's needed. It just so happens that the SAS are best trained to this.

I doubt of the Brits want to send a message to anybody. They are just extracting their nationals. I trust they'll send them or their employers a bill for services rendered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

My own thoughts, Bravo Two Zero fiasco in the making.
    Extracting British citizens from situations like this, at short notice, is a fundamental role for both, so I doubt very much that it is crap.

There is also the added factor of sending a clear message that the UK isnt sitting on its hands.
    I think they would make the situation vastly worse for the British citizen's there. Britain because of Iraq and it's history in the middle east etc, Britain is not too populiar over there at the best of times. I could see an awful bloodbath of British civilians or anyone else in the vicinity, if the trigger happy supporters of Gidaffi go at it with the trigger happy SBS and Parachute regiment etc

My own thoughts, Bravo Two Zero fiasco in the making.

I think they would make the situation vastly worse for the British citizen's there. Britain because of Iraq and it's history in the middle east etc, Britain is not too populiar over there at the best of times. I could see an awful bloodbath of British civilians or anyone else in the vicinity, if the trigger happy supporters of Gidaffi go at it with the trigger happy SBS and Parachute regiment etc

The way Gaddafi is acting right if he hears the SAS / SBS / Para 1 (SFSG) are on the way in,I wouldn't be surprised if he'll take that very seriously and considering he basically sees a lot of his soldiers of "expendable" I wouldn't rule out a full scale shootout. Thing is though, in a firefight between some standard Libyan soldiers and a group of special forces there's only going to be one winner unless the Brits are drastically out numbered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

wonder if they are sending in the carriers , ogh i forgot they dont have any , better ask the Indians

RMD wrote: »
    The way Gaddafi is acting right if he hears the SAS / SBS / Para 1 (SFSG) are on the way in,I wouldn't be surprised if he'll take that very seriously and considering he basically sees a lot of his soldiers of "expendable" I wouldn't rule out a full scale shootout. Thing is though, in a firefight between some standard Libyan soldiers and a group of special forces there's only going to be one winner unless the Brits are drastically out numbered.

From what I heard this morning, the big concern seems to be the desert compounds where a lot of Brits are working for oil companies. I would imagine the sas would be used to secure these rather than a full scale punch up in Tripoli.

I would guess Tripoli airport would be a much bigger international thing. But I would agree, this could get messy.

• Advertisement

danbohan wrote: »
    wonder if they are sending in the carriers , ogh i forgot they dont have any , better ask the Indians

You're a bit late Dan, its already been done

But yeah, it does call that decision into question. Still, I guess if air cover was needed, it won't take ling to get a few typhoons to Akrotiri or Malta.

From what I heard this morning, the big concern seems to be the desert compounds where a lot of Brits are working for oil companies. I would imagine the sas would be used to secure these rather than a full scale punch up in Tripoli.

I would guess Tripoli airport would be a much bigger international thing. But I would agree, this could get messy.

Ye I saw that, there was a group of British oil workers trapped in the desert countryside, the army barracks beside them had been bombed and looters with machetes had already tried to break into their compound. Problem is, I don't see how the SAS can get them without it escalating into full scale war, I doubt Gaddafi would be to keen on British special forces going through the country considering his history of supporting the PIRA. Anyone know if HMS Cumberland / York has helicopter launch capabilities, the only way I can see them rescuing those trapped in the compounds is a heli extraction.

Ye I saw that, there was a group of British oil workers trapped in the desert countryside, the army barracks beside them had been bombed and looters with machetes had already tried to break into their compound. Problem is, I don't see how the SAS can get them without it escalating into full scale war, I doubt Gaddafi would be to keen on British special forces going through the country considering his history of supporting the PIRA. Anyone know if HMS Cumberland / York has helicopter launch capabilities, the only way I can see them rescuing those trapped in the compounds is a heli extraction.
    I agree with you, unless the British civilians are in some very empty area near the Eygptian border or something, he or his cronyies are not going to take kindly to what they would see as a " British invasion".

Anyway, Britain and Gaddafi have been military friends for a while now. Sky News had a discussion that much of the military hardware been used by his forces/supporters were sold to him by you know who ;)
    Britain to help rebuild Gaddafi's military

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Britain-to-help-rebuild-Gaddafis.2514427.jp

I would guess they both carry a lynx helicopter.

I would guess they both carry a lynx helicopter.

According to Wiki x 2 per vessel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

danbohan wrote: »

Not really a problem in this situation. If it became that serious, then no European military power would hesitate to let British Typhoons use their air bases. After all, who would want to have an aggressive and unpredictable military just across the mediterranean should they become hostile to us?

Not really a problem in this situation. If it became that serious, then no European military power would hesitate to let British Typhoons use their air bases. After all, who would want to have an aggressive and unpredictable military just across the mediterranean should they become hostile to us?

Off the Top of my head

France Spain Italy , and any number of countries who reckon they could steal arms contracts off the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

Off the Top of my head

France Spain Italy , and any number of countries who reckon they could steal arms contracts off the UK

No, not with Gaddafi in charge. Its even more in their interests to remove him should his forces threaten warfare on a larger, possibly regional scare due to the unpredictable nature of the man and their proximity to his country.

Off the Top of my head

No country in their right mind would want to arm Gaddafi if he started acting as an aggressor towards Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Are they going to rescue all British citizens or just the SAS boys who are over there training Gadaffi's people since just after the Lockerbie bomber was released????????:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

were sold to him by you know who ;)

What equipment does he have thats of UK Origins??

Steyr wrote: »

His Bentley?

His Bentley?

Is it a proper Bentley or a rebadged Volkswagen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I agree with you, unless the British civilians are in some very empty area near the Eygptian border or something, he or his cronyies are not going to take kindly to what they would see as a " British invasion".

Anyway, Britain and Gaddafi have been military friends for a while now. Sky News had a discussion that much of the military hardware been used by his forces/supporters were sold to him by you know who ;)
    Britain to help rebuild Gaddafi's military

http://news.scotsman.com/world/Britain-to-help-rebuild-Gaddafis.2514427.jp

If you've got any ACTUAL proof that britain supplied arms to Libya then please supply it, otherwise all you have is idle speculation. From what I've seen of the Libyan forces its been mostly Soviet/Chinese equipment thats been used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Savage93 wrote: »
    Are they going to rescue all British citizens or just the SAS boys who are over there training Gadaffi's people since just after the Lockerbie bomber was released????????:D:D:D

Source?

Is it a proper Bentley or a rebadged Volkswagen

Whatever it is, I'm sure its better than my Rolls Canardly.:)

Steyr wrote: »
    If you've got any ACTUAL proof that britain supplied arms to Libya then please supply it, otherwise all you have is idle speculation. From what I've seen of the Libyan forces its been mostly Soviet/Chinese equipment thats been used.
    :rolleyes: ' Yawn '.......As per the link supplied -

• Blair to offer Libya military aid in return for declaring WMDs
    • Deal may include training Libyan cadets and MOD expert advice
    • Offer puts UK firms in pole position to sell arms to Libya

Source?
    SAS trains Libyan troops - The SAS has been ordered by the Government to train Libyan special forces
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/6176808/SAS-trains-Libyan-troops.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

To be fair, offering military training in exchange for them to giving up their WMD program is a bit of a bargin.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: ' Yawn '.......As per the link supplied -

• Blair to offer Libya military aid in return for declaring WMDs
    • Deal may include training Libyan cadets and MOD expert advice
    • Offer puts UK firms in pole position to sell arms to Libya

The link you supplied though any stated what will happen if the deal is agreed, it doesn't state that it did happen. When I looked for a source of the Brits arming Libyan forces I couldn't find anything, the only European equipment I could find which the Libyans had was a couple of Belgium small arms and 2 French missile systems, one AT and one AA. The rest of the equipment was all of Russian and Brazilian origin, except for a 105mm American Howitzer.

Advertisement