Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBS on stand by...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

:rolleyes: ' Yawn '.......As per the link supplied -

• Blair to offer Libya military aid in return for declaring WMDs
    • Deal may include training Libyan cadets and MOD expert advice
    • Offer puts UK firms in pole position to sell arms to Libya

"to offer"
    "may"
    "in pole position"

So NO in other words. No actual arms have been supplied, I asked for confirmation as your link was useless speculation and thats the best you can do? Pathetic.

If your going to use "rolleyes" you might want to make sure you have a basis to when you quite clearly don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I wonder why the are SBS getting the Nod over SAS for this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

RMD wrote: »
    The link you supplied though any stated what will happen if the deal is agreed, it doesn't state that it did happen. When I looked for a source of the Brits arming Libyan forces I couldn't find anything, the only European equipment I could find which the Libyans had was a couple of Belgium small arms and 2 French missile systems, one AT and one AA. The rest of the equipment was all of Russian and Brazilian origin, except for a 105mm American Howitzer.
    "to offer"
    "may"
    "in pole position"

So NO in other words. No actual arms have been supplied, I asked for confirmation as your link was useless speculation and thats the best you can do? Pathetic.

If your going to use "rolleyes" you might want to make sure you have a basis to when you quite clearly don't.
    The children have to be spoon fed :rolleyes:

The British government has approved the sale to Libya of a wide range of equipment for use against civilians. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/20/british-crowd-control-equipment-libya

UK firm defends Libya military sales http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/21/uk-firm-defends-libya-military-sales

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

BigDuffman wrote: »

normal makey-uppy press crap. they don't know so they say 'SAS' to make themselves sound informed and 'in the loop'. most journalists - even the 'defence' corresponents, couldn't tell the difference between the SBS and the Air Cadets.

both units come under Director Special Forces and he will alot whatever sub-units are available and to hand - either would be as capable as the other, i suppose its more likely that it'll be SAS purely because they're a bigger unit than SBS, and therefore more (statisticly) likely to be the high readiness unit than SBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Patsy I'm not treating you or your argument with any condescending bull**** so I'd appreciate is you showed me the same respect I'm showing you. If you can't be part of a debate without acting like a wanker there's no point in arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The British government has approved the sale to Libya of a wide range of equipment for use against civilians. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/20/british-crowd-control-equipment-libya

UK firm defends Libya military sales http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/21/uk-firm-defends-libya-military-sales

the operative word in the first link being "APPROVED".

the second is about a bunch of poxy police vans, not "arms".

As usual, specious non-information.

Patsy I'm not treating you or your argument with any condescending bull**** so I'd appreciate is you showed me the same respect I'm showing you. If you can't be part of a debate without acting like a wanker there's no point in arguing.
    Apologies RMD, the replies were mainly intended for Blaas, I shouldn't have included you, who is been his usual self.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Surely the reason the sbs would go in is the close protection of britons stranded there. Its getting worse out there by the minute.. There are still some 200+ stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

SAS trains Libyan troops - The SAS has been ordered by the Government to train Libyan special forces
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/onthefrontline/6176808/SAS-trains-Libyan-troops.html

OH come on patsy. Since when is the Guardian such a reliable source. It is as much use as Wiki.

I expected better from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Utrinque Paratus

elius wrote: »
    Surely the reason the sbs would go in is the close protection of britons stranded there. Its getting worse out there by the minute.. There are still some 200+ stranded.

Its a complex situation, if they send a rescue party to the oil workers Gaddafi will claim Libya is under attack from the west and it could get him sympathy from those who are on the fence and pogroms against westeners still out there by his forces.

Its best to wait and see how the situation plays out.

This is potentially the start of a tribal civil war out there.

• Advertisement

Many countries have sold arms to Libya, not just the UK.Gaddafi is better then Libya falling to Islamic extremists in a civil war.

http://www.expatica.com/es/news/spanish-news/ngos-urge-spain-to-halt-arms-sales-to-libya_132473.html

Spain sold arms to Libya, including planes and equipment, worth 7.0 million euros ($9.6 million) in the first half of 2010, according to figures quoted by the group of NGOs, which also includes Oxfam and Greenpeace.

Seems British, US and French military advisors are supporting the rebels.

US, British and French military advisers have arrived in Cyrenaica, Libya's eastern breakaway province, debkafile's military sources report exclusively. This is the first time America and Europe have intervened militarily in any of the popular upheavals rolling through the Middle East since Tunisia's Jasmine Revolution in early January. The advisers, including intelligence officers, were dropped from warships and missile boats at the coastal towns of Benghazi and Tobruk Thursday Feb. 24, for a threefold mission:

1. To help the revolutionary committees controlling eastern Libyan establish government frameworks for supplying two million inhabitants with basic services and commodities;

2. To organize them into paramilitary units, teach them how to use the weapons they captured from Libyan army facilities, help them restore law and order on the streets and train them to fight Muammar Qaddafi's combat units coming to retake Cyrenaica.
    3. The prepare infrastructure for the intake of additional foreign troops. Egyptian units are among those under consideration.

http://www.debka.com/article/20708/

I did find it odd that Libyas special forces were defeated according to reports by members of the public who had got hold of weapons.

The warship landing would also tie in with claims of potential SBS deployment.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110224/tuk-libya-sbs-on-stand-by-for-rescue-mis-45dbed5.html

Security sources have told Sky that the Special Boat Service (SBS) had already forward mounted liaison officers to a Mediterranean location, which Sky will not reveal, as part of the preparations to rescue an estimated 170 people unable to reach Tripoli where RAF

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Have you not been following news, Accuracy International were over there trying to flog sniper rifles, bull**** cover up story about them being "non firing demonstrators" HA HA

Source?

Guardian, Telegraph around sept/oct 2010:D:D

BigDuffman wrote: »

cos the SAS need rescuing, HA HA:D:D:D:D:D

Savage93 wrote: »
    Guardian, Telegraph around sept/oct 2010:D:D
    Yet another poster who believes newspapers print the truth.

Wise up gentlemen. Research and quote from reliable sources or dont contribute to the noise ratio of the thread.

If Special Forces were being used, you may be assured that the world and his dog would not know until after the event, if at all!!

Dogwatch wrote: »

Wise up gentlemen. Research and quote from reliable sources or dont contribute to the noise ratio of the thread.

If Special Forces were being used, you may be assured that the world and his dog would not know until after the event, if at all!!

The vast majority of SF operations let alone locations wont receive a mention in newspapers / tabloids till after the operation has been completed or it has been drastically ****ed up, reason being they wont know of it obviously enough. The only reason the media has found out about these is the UK government is 1) Sending a clear message to Gaddafi they're serious 2) To assure the public they're taking the situation seriously. And no savage they're not going in to save the SAS boys, safe to say that since they were helping train Libyan soldiers Gaddafi will look after them, if not they'll now be on the rebels side since the Brits have sent in advisers to assist the rebels.

The vast majority of SF operations let alone locations wont receive a mention in newspapers / tabloids till after the operation has been completed or it has been drastically ****ed up, reason being they wont know of it obviously enough. The only reason the media has found out about these is the UK government is 1) Sending a clear message to Gaddafi they're serious 2) To assure the public they're taking the situation seriously. And no savage they're not going in to save the SAS boys, safe to say that since they were helping train Libyan soldiers Gaddafi will look after them, if not they'll now be on the rebels side since the Brits have sent in advisers to assist the rebels.

The Libyans were being trained in the UK. Mainly in anti terrorism techniques.

To counter potential Islamic extremism, Gaddafi was the lesser evil.

Forgot that, initially thought it was the SAS in Libya, don't know how I mixed it up there. Ye I'll certainly agree to that, as much as a bastard that Gaddafi is, I'd still prefer him to Islamic fundamentalists.

• Advertisement

OH come on patsy. Since when is the Guardian such a reliable source. It is as much use as Wiki.

I expected better from you.
    The Guardian = Wiki :D

So what according to you are " reliable sources ". The British Ministry of Defence ? An SAS member interviewed in silhouette on BBC newsnight ?

Can you tell me how the Brits training Gaddafi's thugs to torture and murder civilians is "anti terrorism" ? I would have thought it a case of British army terrorists training Gaddafi's terrorists ?

Can you tell me how the Brits training Gaddafi's thugs to torture and murder civilians is "anti terrorism" ? I would have thought it a case of British army terrorists training Gaddafi's terrorists ?

They never tarined them to torture and murder civilians, why do you need to make stuff up ?

They trained them in the covert survelliance of possible Al Qaeda suspects.

In fairness Patsy they were being trained to deal with Islamic extremists if they cause trouble in Libya, what Gaddafi puts them to use for further down the line isn't the fault of Britain. Considering the Brits have sent advisers in to help the rebels, it's clear where their priorities are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Been and gone already SBS c squadron performed the operation. All 150 rescued.. Now who said they wouldnt go in?

Patsy wrote: »

So what according to you are " reliable sources ". The British Ministry of Defence ? An SAS member interviewed in silhouette on BBC newsnight ?
    A reliable source is one which over time has proven to be reliable and accurate. Newspapers are neither.

If you are giving information, at least make sure it is accurate and factual.

Given your boards name, I suspect that may be difficult.

Originally Posted by Patsy viewpost.gif

A reliable source is one which over time has proven to be reliable and accurate. Newspapers are neither.

If you are giving information, at least make sure it is accurate and factual.

Given your boards name, I suspect that may be difficult.
    And when he's asked to provide actual examples of a "reliable source" he comes back giving a f***ing lecture again :D

Been and gone already SBS c squadron performed the operation. All 150 rescued.. Now who said they wouldnt go in?
    Yeah seen it on Sky news and already the megahype and BS is flying thick "A small group of determined you men took to the air on an almost impossible mission " :D You'd think it was the raid on Entebbe or something :D The Air Corps plucking some fishermen out of a trawler in the middle of a raging storm stranded on rocks off Galway would be probably be a more difficult and dangerous operation but I'd doubt if they'd be hyping themselves up describing it as an "almost impossible mission".

Regardless well done to the RAF pilots in getting the people out safely. Thankfully Gaddafi's trigger happy thugs weren't around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Entebbe

Yeah seen it on Sky news and already the megahype and BS is flying thick "A small group of determined you men took to the air on an almost impossible mission " :D You'd think it was the raid on Entebbe or something :D The Air Corps plucking some fishermen out of a trawler in the middle of a raging storm stranded on rocks off Galway would be probably be a more difficult and dangerous operation but I'd doubt if they'd be hyping themselves up describing it as an "almost impossible mission".

Regardless well done to the RAF pilots in getting the people out safely. Thankfully Gaddafi's trigger happy thugs weren't around.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Entebbe

"but I'd doubt if they'd be hyping themselves up describing it as an "almost impossible mission".

why are you making up bs ? Where did someone from the above operation say this ?

• Advertisement

"but I'd doubt if they'd be hyping themselves up describing it as an "almost impossible mission".

why are you making up bs ? Where did someone from the above operation say this ?
    As stated Sky News. http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Libya-150-Oil-Workers-Rescued-From-Libyan-Desert-By-RAF-And-British-Special-Forces/Article/201102415941694?lpos=World_News_Carousel_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15941694_Libya%3A_150_Oil_Workers_Rescued_From_Libyan_Desert_By_RAF_And_British_Special_Forces

Advertisement