Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enda Kenny to make irish optional?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Were you crap at irish and failed to get a place in a NUI?
    Which again would be irrelevant to this argument. It would be an anecdote and not evidence of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Were you crap at irish and failed to get a place in a NUI?

:D Made my night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Which again would be irrelevant to this argument. It would be an anecdote and not evidence of anything.

Just trying to understand where you're coming from ;)

_meehan_ wrote: »
    :D Made my night
    This will make your night even more...
    I was exempt and passed Irish anyway.

This will make your night even more...

Here have another 1
    http://www.csrplus.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/blue_peter_badge.jpg

• Advertisement

Sorry, you're only really making a fool of yourself by asking a question and then attempting sarcasm when the answer is the exact opposite of what you hoped and expected.:D

Just trying to understand where you're coming from ;)
    You have your answer then.
    Does this do much for your theory that I hate Irish and would therefore like it to stop being compulsory?:D

Sorry, you're only really making a fool of yourself by asking a question and then attempting sarcasm when the answer is the exact opposite of what you hoped and expected.:D

Not really, i couldn't give a monkey's what you think or did, i'm enjoying winding you up to be honest ;)

Not really, i couldn't give a monkey's what you think or did, i'm enjoying winding you up to be honest ;)
    Oh right, being walloped back into your box at every available opportunity floats your boat?
    Thanks for conceding that you've lost by the way. That's what you're doing you know.
    Yeah, I feel really wound up when I squash some kid to the point he can only come back with ad hominems. Oooh, really wound up.:rolleyes:

Maith thú, you won, here's something for you
    http://www.jonburgerman.com/images/uploads/BP11badge.jpg
    Oh right, being walloped back into your box at every available opportunity floats your boat?
    Thanks for conceding that you've lost by the way. That's what you're doing you know.
    Yeah, I feel really wound up when I squash some kid to the point he can only come back with ad hominems. Oooh, really wound up.:rolleyes:

That was conceded 2 pages ago, well done, you got me, youre a
    master debater ;)

• Advertisement

That was conceded 2 pages ago, well done, you got me, youre a
    master debater ;)
    Haha, you'd hardly need to be Cicero or Lincoln to do that, would you.
    I might come back to this thread when an adult next posts here.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Slán agat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭subedei

I should say I am not going to answer all the questions and comments above as this is taking me too long around already and I have alot of stuff to do, but I will try throw my hat in once more and give a part reply.

Succesive surveys have shown that a majority of the public supports policies to maintain Irish in the Gaeltacht,, to provide Irish Language services on the national television channels, to use Irish on public notices etc, to provide state services in Irish, to employ public officials who could speak Irish, and to support the voluntary Irish language organizations..... Thus the Irish public is willing to accept a considerable commitment of state resources to ensuring the maintenance of the irish language and even to support a considerable imposition of legal requirements on certain groups within the society to know or use Irish

Pádraig Ó Riagáin, Irish language policy 1922-2007
    A telephone poll of voters conducted between 15 and 24th of November 2005 by TNS MRBI on behalf of Fine Gael....62% of those polled expressed the belief that Irish should become a subject of choice after the Junior Certificate. 34% believed that it should remain compulsory....... The most surprising result contained in the poll was the very high percentage of people in the 18-34 gage group who stated that they thought Irish should remain compulsory at second level. (89% of the ones that voted for Irish to be compulsory)

While most commentors would readily acknowledge that the Gaeltacht areas continue to be under pressure from all manner of threats, very few would deny the phenomenal increase in the numbers of people living outside thse areas who are fluent in irish. This is in no small part due to the role being played in the promotion of the language by classes and by Gaelscoileanna. Ironically, too, the school system, which has been blamed for so many of the ills besetting the Irish language, is still the main reason why significant numbers of our population have a knowledge of the languages, in degrees from basic familiarity to complete fluency

As for an election issue, irish already was an election issue. Fine gael Lost an election because they wanted to make Irish compulsory, I cant remember which one it was but it was between Lemass and Fine Gael, Lemass's first term, and the entire election was about the Irish language even tho there was more "serious" issues like Ireland joining EU. Fianna Fail won because they supported Irish language being compulsory. This was stated in the 'Campaign daily' show on RTE, you can watch it online on the RTE player if you dont believe me, it was from last week.

Im not going to argue about the merits of culture, if someone doesnt like culture then there is no point in arguing about it, and culture that just makes money isnt really culture, it is just a form of business. Anyway that is beyond the scope of this thread.

As for why people want to learn Irish it is not simply because it is spoken or not, one will never understand fully this land of ours if one doesnt speak Irish, you wont be able to understand what a name means when you see it written, where it came from, why its there. The whole land around you opens up if you understand these things. You wont be able to read anything your ancestors wrote or said by not being able to understand Irish, it is important to understand what shaped their world and so yours, the particular world view they had. Irish matters because it is what they changed through their natural and creative uses of the language over thousands of years, it was their vehicle to understand what was around them and inside them. Not only is Irish important to Ireland but it is important to european history in general, Irish and other surviving Celtic languages are the only survives of a pre-Roman western European languages, our language is directly related to the Languages of the Gauls and the Iberians. By keeping it alive we keep another European tradition that we very much own and are part of, alive.

As for speaking I am sure there are some, I have heard some and I have used Irish sometimes to speak in the real world, I was useless in Irish in school and yes for a long time it colored my opinion of irish but with time and age my view has changed. But yes Irish is used by some to speak too, I wear a Fáinne and would be glad to speak to anyone in Irish at any time, even if its poorly. All one can do is take care of onesself and not have to worry about whether others are doing it or not.

But you are right in one way, yes the utter failure of Irish people was that adults never found a use for Irish, and they kept expecting their children to do it instead, passing the buck so to speak, this is exactly the same with government who have only ever half heartedly tried to do anything, Gaelscoils came in the 1970's from ground roots movements, not from government expenditure and as such are often not as well funded as catholic schools.

But its not too late for us to change it, and rediscover what it means to have a life throw Irish. The new Gaeltacht in Belfast is a sure sign of this. And I am looking forward to this debate ending because to be honest I think we are way too transfixed on Irish in school rather than it in the community and wider world. We should be taking notes from the welsh and the fact that education is just one of the ways they seek to continue their language. I see this happening, especially in Galway, even in Cork and dublin, to get something similar to Mentrau Iaith of Whales. Where the focus is on all aspects of community not just schooling. Perhaps making it voluntary will stop this fixation with schools and make irish look to other venues to make this language relevant to a wider audience.

As for compulsory Irish the original topic, this has as others have stated in previous posts, been tried in england with secondary languages and has not worked, and also compulsory welsh in wales has been tried and works, their language is in a much stronger position than ours now, even though they arent an independant country like us. Though probably because 20% of their schooling is done in Welsh medium schools while less than 5% in Ireland.

If making Irish not compulsory will stop blaming the entire language for how its taught then perhaps it is time to end compulsory Irish but I for one cannot do anything that would see it damaged or diminished in any way so I will not be voting for Fine Gael because of it (also because they are a mirror image of Fianna Fail). I only seek to improve things not destroy them, dar liomsa.

PS I think I expended way too much time on this, so doubt I will be back to it! slán!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Yes, I proved him wrong too.

In what reality was this?

You claimed that all jobs requiring Irish were paid by the state. I showed you that this was untrue, You then tried to shift the goal posts claiming that this wasn't a reason for Irish to be compulsory.

I am perfectly happy to get the quotes if you want.:rolleyes:

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Slán agat!!
    Another simple post you failed to comprehend.
    I said I'd come back when an adult posted, not that I was leaving for good.
    0/10 for you as usual.

In what reality was this?

You claimed that all jobs requiring Irish were paid by the state. I showed you that this was untrue, You then tried to shift the goal posts claiming that this wasn't a reason for Irish to be compulsory.

I am perfectly happy to get the quotes if you want.:rolleyes:
    I'm perfectly happy likewise for you to list "all" of those jobs which aren't state dependent that have an absolute requirement for Irish.
    If the best you can come up with is "you said all Irish requiring jobs are state dependent, but look! Look! I found 3 on earth that arent!!" then you're really arguing on my side of this whether you realise it or not.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Another simple post you failed to comprehend.
    I said I'd come back when an adult posted, not that I was leaving for good.
    0/10 for you as usual.

Dan, I tried to point it out to you last night and you took it the wrong way. I'll try one more time now.

Getting condescending with everyone in this thread is doing you no favours. Your attitude is really letting you down, and it's drawing the worst out of others as well. Your patronising "I'm waiting to talk to adults" holds no weight whatsoever, especially when your last reply to me was tantamount to "He started it".

Take a step back, take a deep breath, then come back and show a bit of civility to the rest of the forum. Respect works both ways.

Thanks, your post is worth a million of the kiddies' ones.

First, I do not have the "Pádraig Ó Riagáin, Irish language policy 1922-2007" to hand. Is it available online?
    I do however have several issues with the presentation of the data he has collected.
    Succesive surveys have shown that a majority of the public supports policies to maintain Irish in the Gaeltacht,, to provide Irish Language services on the national television channels, to use Irish on public notices etc, to provide state services in Irish, to employ public officials who could speak Irish, and to support the voluntary Irish language organizations..... Thus the Irish public is willing to accept a considerable commitment of state resources to ensuring the maintenance of the irish language and even to support a considerable imposition of legal requirements on certain groups within the society to know or use Irish
    "the Irish public is willing to accept a considerable commitment of state resources" does not follow directly from their desire to have Irish involved in the public service. It may be required, but it cannot be assumed.
    If you have these surveys, or references to them, I would be interested in seeing the trends and methodology of these.
    A telephone poll of voters conducted between 15 and 24th of November 2005 by TNS MRBI on behalf of Fine Gael....62% of those polled expressed the belief that Irish should become a subject of choice after the Junior Certificate. 34% believed that it should remain compulsory....... The most surprising result contained in the poll was the very high percentage of people in the 18-34 gage group who stated that they thought Irish should remain compulsory at second level. (89% of the ones that voted for Irish to be compulsory)
    So a 2 to 1 majority do not want it compulsory fot the leaving cert? I can't see how that's much of a fillip for compulsory Irish advocates? The last figure is a clear positive bias twist... 89% of those who voted for Irish to be compulsory voted for it to be compulsory at second level? How is that a "surprise"?
    While most commentors would readily acknowledge that the Gaeltacht areas continue to be under pressure from all manner of threats, very few would deny the phenomenal increase in the numbers of people living outside thse areas who are fluent in irish. This is in no small part due to the role being played in the promotion of the language by classes and by Gaelscoileanna. Ironically, too, the school system, which has been blamed for so many of the ills besetting the Irish language, is still the main reason why significant numbers of our population have a knowledge of the languages, in degrees from basic familiarity to complete fluency
    There is ZERO data presented here with regard to take up numbers of Irish post-Gaelscoil. Not one single bit.
    And I don't see the "irony" of people being forced to learn Irish then being able to speak Irish? Is that an "irony"?
    subedei wrote: »
    As for an election issue, irish already was an election issue...
    I will try and watch that. I'd have to say Lemass was neither yesterday nor the day before though.
    Im not going to argue about the merits of culture...
    I don't agree that it is entirely outside this discussion. It *is* a matter of cultural imposition, even if that culture is already "ours".
    As for why people want to learn Irish it is not simply because it is spoken or not, one will never understand fully this land of ours if one doesnt speak Irish...
    I agree totally. But you could say the same about doing a PhD in ancient Celtic studies. Would that make you more "Irish" than a mere Gaelgoir? No, it wouldn't. It might be entertaining personally to have these skills, but they are not a requirement, in my eyes, to be considered thoroughly and completely "Irish".
    As for speaking I am sure there are some...
    I have no issue with people speaking Irish, that is their and your choice. It is up to me whether I feel left out or not.
    But you are right in one way, yes the utter failure of Irish people was that adults never found a use for Irish, and they kept expecting their children to do it instead, passing the buck so to speak, this is exactly the same with government who have only ever half heartedly tried to do anything, Gaelscoils came in the 1970's from ground roots movements, not from government expenditure and as such are often not as well funded as catholic schools.
    Don't get me started on state funding for religious schools!
    Again, 100% agree. I'm sick of oldies saying they wish the had learned Irish when they were young, but then never bothering to learn it. It's a pipe dream. Then they transfer this "love of Irish" to their kids.
    But its not too late for us to change it, and rediscover what it means to have a life throw Irish...
    The won't quote brigade here won't believe me, but I would be perfectly happy if Ireland was fully bilingual. I don't think it's wise to lose the Lingua Franca of English. I do not think however it is worth the effort of transition to this bilingual state. Our very culture makes kicking against the rules a badge of honour, so if you force Irish on us, we will rebel against it. It's human nature.
    As for compulsory Irish the original topic, this has as others have stated in previous posts...
    The Welsh are an interesting case, where despite what would appear to be greater imposed cultural change from England, they have come back much more stringly than Irish. Someone from the Udaras should take a trip over and see what they're up to. If you can get even Premiership footballers to speak Welsh, you must be onto something!
    If making Irish not compulsory will stop blaming the entire language for how its taught then perhaps it is time to end compulsory Irish but I for one cannot do anything that would see it damaged or diminished in any way so I will not be voting for Fine Gael because of it (also because they are a mirror image of Fianna Fail). I only seek to improve things not destroy them, dar liomsa.
    With you on the hair's breath between FF and FG. I still don't see what's "in it" for Irish being compulsory. How does that make it a "living" language outside the traditionally Irish areas? As I asked earlier, if the government paid 100 people to speak Klingon, would it then become a "living" language? As I have already said (and misquote/no quote kids, try and read the whole sentence this time, right?) if Irish can *only* be kept alive through forced teaching, minimum "requirements" and government cheques, it is to all intents and purposes already dead.
    PS I think I expended way too much time on this, so doubt I will be back to it! slán!
    Thanks. Good points well made.

Take a step back, take a deep breath, then come back and show a bit of civility to the rest of the forum. Respect works both ways.
    Respect works both ways?
    (and "thanks" from meehan)
    I notice that when people who you agree with are trolling, and admitting it, there isn't a peep out of you, so don't pretend you've a problem with me because of my "tone".

Tá tú ar ais *ag cuimilt lámha le chéile*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Tá an snáith seo gan dóchas ar fad ag an bpointe seo. Ní féidir árgóint le duine muna bhfuil ciall á dtaispeáint aige/aici. Táim chun imeacht agus taitneamh a bhaint as an teanga, seachas am a chur amú le hamadachas mar seo.

D'éinne a chreideann go bhfuil an Ghaeilge marbh, tóg uair chun an clár fáisnéise seo a fheiceáil: Bliain in Inis Oírr. Tá an teanga beo beathach, is cuma cad a deir na daill.

If you are incapable of arguing your position, that's fine, just say so. Don't pretend again that there's something about the tone of my posts that you have an issue with, as we all know you have ignored self-confessed trolling in this thread.
    I never said Irish was "dead", so you can join the misquote brigade too, in Irish or not. I said if it can only survive on handouts then it is dead for all intents and purposes.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/15462
    A clinic for a population smaller than the average housing estate?
    Absolute economic madness. Maybe I should pass a few copies of the Buntús around the mainland for people who are stuck for years on waiting lists?

If you are incapable of arguing your position, that's fine, just say so. Don't pretend again that there's something about the tone of my posts that you have an issue with, as we all know you have ignored self-confessed trolling in this thread.
    I never said Irish was "dead", so you can join the misquote brigade too, in Irish or not. I said if it can only survive on handouts then it is dead for all intents and purposes.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/15462
    A clinic for a population smaller than the average housing estate?
    Absolute economic madness. Maybe I should pass a few copies of the Buntús around the mainland for people who are stuck for years on waiting lists?

Give us a copy i lost mine

I'm perfectly happy likewise for you to list "all" of those jobs which aren't state dependent that have an absolute requirement for Irish.
    If the best you can come up with is "you said all Irish requiring jobs are state dependent, but look! Look! I found 3 on earth that arent!!" then you're really arguing on my side of this whether you realise it or not.

You claimed All jobs needing Irish were paid by the state, I provided examples that proved you wrong.

In a fit of denial, You then claim to have proved me wrong, this is not the case. It seams you still cannot accept that you were wrong, but again, I am happy to get the quotes that show that you were.

You claimed All jobs needing Irish were paid by the state, I provided examples that proved you wrong.

In a fit of denial, You then claim to have proved me wrong, this is not the case. It seams you still cannot accept that you were wrong, but again, I am happy to get the quotes that show that you were.
    And yet again, feel free to quote your own list of private sector jobs where Irish is a requirement. See can you list enough to justify 50,000 students a year being forced to do Irish.
    What have you got, 10 of them tops?

This is simple: you work out how many jobs that require Irish there are that aren't state dependent.
    If the amount is more than zero I was wrong to say there were zero (though I did say 99% were state dependent elsewhere. I'm sure you can find my 99% quote too?)
    If the amount is embarrassingly small, you have helped to prove that compulsory Irish is pointless.
    Your choice.

So a 2 to 1 majority do not want it compulsory fot the leaving cert? I can't see how that's much of a fillip for compulsory Irish advocates? The last figure is a clear positive bias twist... 89% of those who voted for Irish to be compulsory voted for it to be compulsory at second level? How is that a "surprise"?

Well actually the latest survey shows 61% in favor of Irish remaining compulsory.
    You misunderstand the last bit, It dosent say 89% in favor of compulsion are in favor of compulsion to LC, It says that 89% of those in Favor of compulsion are in the 15 - 34 age bracket. Demonstrating that it is those with the most immidiat experience of Compulsory Irish that are in favor of it.
    In that age bracket, in that survey the majority were in Favor of compulsion.
    There is ZERO data presented here with regard to take up numbers of Irish post-Gaelscoil. Not one single bit.
    And I don't see the "irony" of people being forced to learn Irish then being able to speak Irish? Is that an "irony"?

It is ironic that the system that has been blamed for the biggest failure in the promotion of irish is still the biggest factor in its Survival.
    As for data, Statments made like the one in that piece are considered to be relevant to discussion such as this.

It is true that people leaving the Gaelscoil will most likely use English quite often, But it is also true that people leaving the Gaelscol will use Irish far more often than people leaving the ordinary education system.
    You can say no data to back up this, But then I can say where is you data to discredit it, Of the two sides, I have more to back up my position than you do.

I agree totally. But you could say the same about doing a PhD in ancient Celtic studies. Would that make you more "Irish" than a mere Gaelgoir? No, it wouldn't. It might be entertaining personally to have these skills, but they are not a requirement, in my eyes, to be considered thoroughly and completely "Irish".

The only requirement for being Irish is being bourn here and having Irish parents. That strict legalistic defination of 'Irish' however has nothing to do with cultural identity.

The won't quote brigade here won't believe me, but I would be perfectly happy if Ireland was fully bilingual. I don't think it's wise to lose the Lingua Franca of English. I do not think however it is worth the effort of transition to this bilingual state. Our very culture makes kicking against the rules a badge of honour, so if you force Irish on us, we will rebel against it. It's human nature.

Care to back this up? If it was true, then it seams we would be having this discussion in Irish, as English could never have been forced on the population in the First place.

The simple fact is that a population will not change its language habits for simple love of the language. No matter how affectionat the population is to the language, it will not change for Love of that language, there are always other factors that are needed to motivate a language shift.

In many surveys, time and again it has been shown that there is widespreas support for the preservation and promotion of Irish, including the provision of state services in Irish.

All the parties are in Favor of promoting the language, this includes the spendng of money on it. (Twenty year plan) If you are against this, which it seams you are, then it is up to you to make your case as to why it should not be done, and preferably show that there is support for your ideas.

The Welsh are an interesting case, where despite what would appear to be greater imposed cultural change from England, they have come back much more stringly than Irish. Someone from the Udaras should take a trip over and see what they're up to. If you can get even Premiership footballers to speak Welsh, you must be onto something!

Welsh started from a much higher base. Irish fell to around 1.5% - 2.5%
    Welsh on the other hand never fell below 10%.
    Irish is growing again, but there is still a lot of ground to make up before the two are in comparable situations.

With you on the hair's breath between FF and FG. I still don't see what's "in it" for Irish being compulsory. How does that make it a "living" language outside the traditionally Irish areas? As I asked earlier, if the government paid 100 people to speak Klingon, would it then become a "living" language? As I have already said (and misquote/no quote kids, try and read the whole sentence this time, right?) if Irish can *only* be kept alive through forced teaching, minimum "requirements" and government cheques, it is to all intents and purposes already dead.

You seam to misunderstand what a dead language is.
    A dead language is a language that has no(Or is certain to loose in a short period) native speakers.

Weather a government supports the language or not has nothing to do with it being alive or dead.

Irish being compulsory dosent make it a living language, Irish having native speakers makes it a living language. The future of the language however will be affected if it is made optional without a full and proper reform of the curiculum first. The reason why is dealt with very well by leto here.

Have you ever gone into a pub or a shop in the Gaelthacht? They use Irish there, Not paid by the state to do so, but paid by their boss, who gets his money from his paying Irish speaking Customers.
    I mean, just look at this. What exactly is that supposed to be an example of? Nowhere is there a mention of an Irish requirement. Is "they use Irish" now the same as "they would be unemployed except for their Irish"?

And yet again, feel free to quote your own list of private sector jobs where Irish is a requirement. See can you list enough to justify 50,000 students a year being forced to do Irish.
    What have you got, 10 of them tops?

This is simple: you work out how many jobs that require Irish there are that aren't state dependent.
    If the amount is more than zero I was wrong to say there were zero (though I did say 99% were state dependent elsewhere. I'm sure you can find my 99% quote too?)
    If the amount is embarrassingly small, you have helped to prove that compulsory Irish is pointless.
    Your choice.

Again you are simply moving the goalposts. I was proving that your statment that there are no jobs that are not funded directly by the state that require Irish wrong.

That has nothing to do with justifying compulsory Irish.

This is the second time you tried to shift the goalpoasts on this, It dident work the first time, why did you think it would this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

My experience of non-optional Irish classes;

I did honours Irish until 5th year, then dropped down to have it as my only pass subject, did a grind course where I learnt big chunks of text that I had no understanding of, purely to paste into my exam paper and got a B.

I currently know as much Irish as I do Chinese, very little...

The only positive I can think of, is after losing the will to live in an Irish class, I had improved concentration levels for all other classes!

I'm struggling to think of any other benefits those hundreds of hours labouring (or staring blankly in most cases) through Irish classes gave me

My opinion would be to introduce earlier Spanish/French/German lessons & allow Irish to be optional from Primary!

Anyone know how German/Dutch language curriculums are any different? There are so many young fluent English speakers.

I think it should be allowed to choose from an early age if you want to focus on one language aiming to achieve fluency, rather than being subjected to multiple mandatory basic courses that will be unused/forgotten when finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Respect works both ways?

(and "thanks" from meehan)
    I notice that when people who you agree with are trolling, and admitting it, there isn't a peep out of you, so don't pretend you've a problem with me because of my "tone".

I'm not trolling, actually. I'm standing up for something I love.
    Thanks, your post is worth a million of the kiddies' ones.

Again, unneccesarily condescending. Put a stop to that, please.

I still don't see what's "in it" for Irish being compulsory. How does that make it a "living" language outside the traditionally Irish areas? As I asked earlier, if the government paid 100 people to speak Klingon, would it then become a "living" language? As I have already said (and misquote/no quote kids, try and read the whole sentence this time, right?) if Irish can *only* be kept alive through forced teaching, minimum "requirements" and government cheques, it is to all intents and purposes already dead.

What we want is reform of the way the language is taught, therefore keeping it compulsory would be perfectly acceptable because people wouldn't be forced to learn off poems and stories.

Can you honestly say that changing the system would have no effect? (and before you say this is not what you're saying in the above quote, I've picked this quote because of your attack on the whole compulsory thing).

If it was more focused on the language (and I have said this before) it would be a completely different situation. More people would be more fluent, and it would be no more difficult than doing French or German for the LC.

Advertisement