Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Boxes .....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

whyulittle wrote: »
    I'll see if I can bury the Robin box a bit more. It's just where it is, the lower down I go, it will end up on the wall.

Sorry, mate. Vile 'connection' tonight. Struggling to stay on line for five minutes at a snatch :mad:

Robins? Walls? Listen; If mankind had been around for ever, building walls? Robin would be called a " Natural Wall Nester ".

As it is? They've just always nested in vegetation covered, natural crevices in rock piles and stuff ~ probably left by glacial action etc. Basic school stuff. Right?

But, the fact is; Robins were nesting in 'walls' long before man learned to make kettles and leave those in hedges ;)

Get that box stuffed away, down low, buried away in some corner of that wall. I've known them nest at seven foot. Far more likely though at four foot. 'Secrecy' is the word with our mate, the Robin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭siledee

Ditch, you are so right about the sparrows. I've had loads o them at my feeders.

I watched where they went and it was to an ivy covered garage wall..north facing!!

Problem is the ivy blew down during the high winds 2/3 wks ago taking most of the fascia with it.

The ivy has sort of doubled over itself and is now only about 4ft at its highest point.

The sparrows still use it as a roost but I'm hoping they won't nest there (will they??)...way too low I think and cats around.

siledee wrote: »
    The ivy has sort of doubled over itself and is now only about 4ft at its highest point.

The sparrows still use it as a roost but I'm hoping they won't nest there (will they??)...way too low I think and cats around.

Siledee; This is just the sort of kick in the nuts sparrows could well do without :( 'Obviously', it's not Your garage, so ye can't do damn all about it.

I mean; One way would be to get a few 'up for it' mates round there. Fix that fascia and the ivy to it.

As it is, I expect the owner will either leave the lot to collapse into a heap. Or attack the ivy before restoring the wall. See how birds lose out, pretty much as soon as man starts 'Tidying Up'? :rolleyes:

Cats? I never mentioned how those things were strolling over for a mooch round beneath the council estate wall. Absolute stream of them.

Anyway; Your sparrows trying to nest that low? Read again what I originally wrote; Eight foot. Any that try to nest at four will simply be removed from the pool.

Know any north facing, twelve foot plus, ivy covered walls? Better still; control any such walls?

As it happens, I own a 'perfect' wall. I just need the ivy ~ Or Do I ? Ivy's never grown there because a hay barn roof always abutted to it. Now the barn's collapsed, I have a 'perfect', north facing, flat fronted, probably pushing twenty foot, wall! :)

I'm trying to catch up with so much work, around here. If only I knew a good 'fertiliser' for ivy. I'd plant ~ how does one Plant that stuff? ~ a load around my wall.

As it is? I need to work on the roof yet. That'll need a double extender ladder ~ again :rolleyes: Get another of those though, and I'm willing to drape that wall with boxes. Ivy or not. As said above; I've seen them hanging out of just rotten walls. Anywhere there's plenty of holes, really.

Come on you people; North facing wall? Eight foot and above? Get those boxes up!

Then, let's discover how best to encourage ivy ~ aside from having an Ash tree! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

Hi apologies if this is a re-post but have been following threads on here for a while and anyway my niece is fascinated with wild life/nature so I got her a book that I have had for some time as an early birthday present.

It's a good wee book (Tony Soper's Bird Table Book) and at this price even with postage its cheaper than a bag o peanuts.

Just to add great to see so many intersted people putting up nest boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That is without doubt one of the best starter books around. I have a copy going back many years and I still use it when teaching children aspects of wildlife/bird watching. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Ditch re the ivy....v easy to grow... take cuttings around 5/10ins long make a nice angle cut / put them in a pot or direct in the ground where you want it to grow (pull any grass weeds from around it) and let it off..

Soot is great fertilizer for any green foliage plant full of nitrogen, spread a fistful of it around the base of plants.

I always add a few more cuttings than I need, Just in case of any failures..

Just on the use of soot:Fresh soot is caustic and can be used as
    a soil fumigant to destroy insects and slugs (not that any of us nature lovers would want to). For use as a fertilizer
    it is best stored in the dry for three or four months first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've copied the content of posts about ivy and soot over to the chat thread so if anyone wants to follow up specifically on that (i.e. non nestbox related) you can do so there. I'm leaving the (3) posts here too because they're still (kinda) relevant to the ongoing discussion here.

:) Here ye go: Following all this back and forth, especially with 'WUL', about how to get ye nest boxes to blend into the environment? I figured a picture paints a thousand words.

So, we've seen WUL's boxes during this thread. Now I thought I'd show ye one of mine, which I slung up today. I'm ongoingly involved in building and placing boxes. I'll be doing so all through summer and next winter, all things being equal.

No 'right' time to put them up, or stop putting them up. Just Put Them Up! ;)

And, if they then look somewhat like this? Bonus:

NestBoxProper.jpg

Rolf Harris voice says; " Can yi giss weer id is yit? " thgrinning-smiley-003.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I can see it, and mine is weathering nicely with the tree! :D

• Advertisement

Fiver says ye haven't got a clue! 412e026e.gif

Actually, I've just this minute ~ in anticipation of a bit of fun ;) ~ taken the photo and circled the box. Maybe I should lodge that photo with someone, then they can hold it as certain evidence that I'm not up to any hanky panky.

For the record, by the way; This is one of my absolutely bog standard 'Tit Boxes'. Now, there's a major clue.

To be perfectly frank though? If I hadn't put the damn thing there myself? I'd never find it again. I even had a hell of a job being sure it was what I was looking at when I circled it.

I learned about camouflage from The Best! :cool:

Now, come on. Let's have some craic: " Spot The Box " :D

Here goes......have me doubting myself now!

149602.jpg

icon_eek.gif You must have eyes like a hawk!!!

Honestly; I put it there, barely an hour ago. And yet I was squinting and chewing my lip. I knew it was there. But I just needed convincing that subtle patch of solidity was it.

Oh well. Cost me a fiver! :D

Now, will ye Please join the BTO NRS? If ye can spot that? Few nests will be safe from you on a Cold Search!

Ah see you have taught us well, I knew what height to look at!

eusa_doh.gif I never thought of that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

Ditch wrote: »

Now, will ye Please join the BTO NRS? If ye can spot that? Few nests will be safe from you on a Cold Search!

how does one go about this Ditch?
    is there a thread on this already!

Trebor; Just off out. I'll explain all later on. I'm actually talking to " BWI " about this 'as we speak' ;)

Check this thread tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Hi Ditch. I cannot agree with WUL - i can't see 'diddly squat'...is it about 4 meters up slap bang in the center of the trunk??, if so, i can just about make it out i think...camouflaged is an understatement!

Ditch wrote: »
    Trebor; Just off out. I'll explain all later on. I'm actually talking to " BWI " about this 'as we speak' ;)

Check this thread tomorrow.

no panic Ditch, was looking on the bto site, and a few on their rare list nest close to me, or at least i think they do so it might be handy.

sables2 wrote: »
    Hi Ditch. I cannot agree with WUL - i can't see 'diddly squat'...is it about 4 meters up slap bang in the center of the trunk??, if so, i can just about make it out i think...camouflaged is an understatement!

Ah Sables it's quite easy to see. you just need to get your eye in. It comes with practice and there's nothing magic about it. That box is typical of how 90% look.

• Advertisement

trebor28 wrote: »
    no panic Ditch, was looking on the bto site, and a few on their rare list nest close to me, or at least i think they do so it might be handy.

Yes Trebor it's all on the BTO site. It's well worth registering for all their surveys and they explain them all very well. Likewise it's worth checking out Birdwatch ireland, Biology.ie, RSPB etc as you can provide valuable information to all of them - and often from the one counting trip.

Surveys peovide great material and we can all help at whatever level we wish. No count of anything is ever wasted. And please don't just count rare species. common species counts are just as important.

http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/nrs/taking-part

Just be aware; The BTO are taking and holding Irish Records, and holding them, until such time as there is an Irish based system of collation actually asking for them.

They have it sorted. They can keep Our records in order. They'll give us our information back, as and when we figure we can do do anything with it.

Meanwhile; We simply need more people, here, gathering and sending in the information.

No good, next year, figuring; " Oh. We had a Mistle Thrush nesting in the fork of that Cherry Tree. Some time in February. Laid some eggs ..... I forget ... "

Get started. Today wouldn't be a bad point ..... ;)

Correction. Survey results from Ireland are passed to BWI and NPWS b the BTO.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

the dippers have started to lay eggs, went down yesterday and felt two eggs in the nest and theres three today.:D

finished nest

2ds0ej6.jpg

It has been found at least. :)

BCAD79E605744E5EA0598E1D88645CF0-0000315944-0002192918-00800L-022A1FF4AD9449DE8A2D36FC37DC380A.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

I have a new box with wireless camera for Bluetits. The receiver is plugged into AV2 on my telly. How can I get the picture onto the internet without using a computer, or is that possible?

you need some sort of recording device to get some of the action.
    either a dvd recorder or else a tv tuner in your pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

JimG wrote: »
    I have a new box with wireless camera for Bluetits. The receiver is plugged into AV2 on my telly. How can I get the picture onto the internet without using a computer, or is that possible?

You need a web server in the camera itself (which it appears you don't have) or you need similar somewhere downstream of the camera.

There's a widely linked thread on here about the devices and software used to achieve this - but yes, you will need a computer of some sort.

Just thought I'd post this link, particularly for house martin and swallow boxes. It was mentioned before they could only be got from the UK, and would cost a fair bit for heavy postage.

http://www.birdfood.ie/products.php?area_id=2&nav_id=41&CJWIEID=xuwuailq
    Delivery Charges

For orders under €80.00 we continue to heavily subsidize postage, packing and insurance making it a reasonable €9.99 per order, no matter whats the size!

For orders of €80.00 or over we are delighted to now be able to offer free delivery.

Please note: our courier service requires goods to be signed for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

Super photo WUL. Can i ask you one thing: I put this question to Ditch before - I am not getting any Blue tits around my boxes. How ever, i cannot be certain. I probably should have a camera installed to be absolute certain. It's very dis-heartening to say the least. I look every day for about 10/15 minutes a day through the binoculars to see if there's activity. Would it be because one is within striking distance from the other....parted 4 meters apart. One is above the other. IE: one at head height and the other about 15 ft above... The bird feeders are scattered around the garden. They are not too near the nest boxes. :confused:

Advertisement