Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Boxes .....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's much too early to see any meaningful activity around nestboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I'm afraid I'm no good for any advice Sables, I'm a complete novice.

I just got that shot when following a Robin up the garden, and then heard what I thought was a magpie further up. Looked up and saw the BT hanging onto the box.

I am lucky enough that I have different levels to the garden, so the feeders aren't visible from the nestbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

That's fine WUL. Maybe it's a bit early yet as Srameen says.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

sables2 wrote: »
    I am not getting any Blue tits around my boxes. How ever, i cannot be certain. I probably should have a camera installed to be absolute certain

have a close look at the entrance hole if you can see any damage then some one interested alright heres a picture of one of my boxes.

1zgfhn8.jpg

i know its obvious on mine but there might be some damage on yours

Another thing you can try is to put a small piece of thin twig into the entrance and if its later removed you have your answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I was worried I had scared the currnet owner of one of my boxes away today as I wired it up for the season. Was present only a matter of seconds and he flew over giving it loads.

Happy to report that he's (BT) currently fluffed up and sleeping inside.

I have a second box with a resident BT and 2 sparrow terraces that have evidence of roosting but by what I am unsure. The droppings seem to be different so hopefully there'll be some sparrow action this year.
    I have an external camera that I can train on the terraces to see if I can spot something.

Hi mg,
    That's the BEST bit of advice I've heard so far...fair play te ye! I like both possible solutions. The twig is very ingenious and sounds like a runner. I'm 'gonna try it tomorrow and see over the coming days. The entrance hole is new unfortunately and not treated or painted, so i may not see any scratch marks. I will have a good snoop though. THANKS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

E39MSport wrote: »
    You need a web server in the camera itself (which it appears you don't have) or you need similar somewhere downstream of the camera.

There's a widely linked thread on here about the devices and software used to achieve this - but yes, you will need a computer of some sort.

Thanks for replies.
    I can't find any link to that thread.

Your boxes are made from Marine Ply aren't they sables? So are mine, and even though I've seen a bird at the box a few times, you can't tell from looking around the entrance. It's tough stuff, so don't get too down if you can't see any evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

JimG wrote: »
    Thanks for replies.
    I can't find any link to that thread.

Hi there.

It's referenced in post 33 on this thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70292726&postcount=33

You need to get your skates on ;)

• Advertisement

Scrapes or gouges at the entrance is not any indication that the box will be or wass used. A box with teh correct sized hole will not be pecked at. Predators will try to attack boxes by widening the whole but they could just as easily try to access the box to get at spiders. Of my many boxes only 2 have even the slightest scrape at the entrance.

The best evidence is adult birds flitting in and out feeding young later in the tear.

I would appeal to people to stop examining boxes too closely at this time of year. Leave well enough alone. Dusturbing the nesst box location does nobody any good. Wait and see what the next few months bring. Be patient.

Scrapes or gouges at the entrance is not any indication that the box will be or wass used. A box with teh correct sized hole will not be pecked at. Predators will try to attack boxes by widening the whole but they could just as easily try to access the box to get at spiders. Of my many boxes only 2 have even the slightest scrape at the entrance.

The best evidence is adult birds flitting in and out feeding young later in the tear.

I would appeal to people to stop examining boxes too closely at this time of year. Leave well enough alone. Dusturbing the nesst box location does nobody any good. Wait and see what the next few months bring. Be patient.

to say a box with with the right size hole wont be pecked is wrong, the damage on the picture i showed i'v seen a blue tit do, hole size 28mm great tit size, if you have a quick look at the box it wont deter any posable users birds aren't as skittish as you may think.

I neither said that birds were skittish nor that pecking marks would deter them. I simply said that a box with no damage (as shown) will be used just as much as a damaged one. I can only speak from over 40 years experience of erecting and closely monitoring and recording nestboxes.:)

if you have a quick look at the box it wont deter any posable users birds aren't as skittish as you may think./QUOTE]

that part wasn't to you personally, apologizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

2 robins building a nest in one of my camera boxes! Hopefully I can post a few pics when they lay.

Hi WUL. Really sorry for late reply. Yes, marine ply indeed. It's so hard to tell if there is activity around the boxes. i suppose if i see some poo droppings or twigs, etc - that might tell me more, but, nothing of the sorts....:confused:. I'm keeping the faith. PS: Will i remove one of the BT (Blue Tit) boxes away from another one not too far away...(4mtrs). It may be this reason too?

Thanks for video WUL. Wow, your a lucky dude...to have a Blue tit building it's nest in YOUR box - and you caught it on film:D

I don't know. From what I've read, having two boxes in the same garden isn't necessarily a problem - you may not have both of them nested in, but you're giving them more options.

But having two on the same tree, they are probably too similar.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Well since putting up four nestboxes, three have been looked at and one has a nest under construction.

do tits nest in pairs as two were looking at one nestbox last week?

Will try to get pics but its tricky to catch them.....

Most birds nest in pairs.:)

Maybe I'm misreading your question.

• Advertisement

if your talking about blue tits and great tits sharing the same box , there are some occasions where it will happen but its rare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

i think i have about 6 pairs of woodpigeon nesting within a stones throw of my house!
    will try and get some pics of some of them and their nests!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

FA46F122B45041858DE9C8F7ED1EBEDC-0000335208-0002215107-00800L-F70AA70E3AF64709BEF1F08A0F679B5C.jpg

So this is a photo of a bird that tried to nest in a wall of mine just under 2 years ago.
    as you can see it incorporated the top of a broken Grolsch bottle into its foundations.

i never could get close enough to it to find out exactly what it was.

it was about the size of a robin and pretty much looked the very same as it except for the red breast.
    it was a very clean sleek bird with no "ruffled" feathers if you know what i mean.
    i has never seen a blackcap before and thought it was one but couldnt see a 'black cap'

it didnt stay too long though as that wall was along a major thoroughfare which i would walk past several times a day.

any ideas?

Sorry for the re-post, just saw LB's instructions in the video thread on how to embed videos properly! :D

I saw my first bit of investigating, ever so briefly, at my second BT box today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

After 2 days of furious nest construction, our 2 robins have stopped. 2 days with no activity. Both birds are still poking around the garden. Could the weather have halted nest building? Do robins start building several nests before selecting one to lay in? Anyone know about their nest building habits?

barn owl / kestrel box

DSCF0196.jpg

treecreeper box

DSCF0207.jpg

four apartment house sparrow box

DSCF0200.jpg

kestrel box

DSCF0215.jpg

robin / pied wagtail box

DSCF0201.jpg

swallow cup

DSCF0197.jpg

tit box 1 of 12

DSCF0213.jpg

barn owl / kestrel box

DSCF0211.jpg

DSCF0210.jpg

dipper box

DSCF0890.jpg

robin box

DSCF0195.jpg

spotted flycatcher box

DSCF0217.jpg

swift box

DSCF0214.jpg

housemartin cup

DSCF0198.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Respect mgwhelan, respect. No one can say you don't help our avian friends.cool0043.gif

:eek::eek:

Excellent stuff.

How well do your barn owl / kestrel boxes do?
    mgwhelan wrote: »

barn owl / kestrel box

treecreeper box

four apartment house sparrow box

kestrel box

robin / pied wagtail box

swallow cup

tit box 1 of 12

barn owl / kestrel box

dipper box

robin box

spotted flycatcher box

swift box

housemartin cup

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »
    :eek::eek:

Excellent stuff.

How well do your barn owl / kestrel boxes do?

none been used yet put the green one in the tree up early last year, the one in the shed was put up late last year and the kestrel box a month ago. they say it might take a few years for a box to be used.

Advertisement