Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kubica injured after crashing out of rally

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

picture shows how lucky he is to be here at all

350348059.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

From Lotus Renault.
    Robert Kubica underwent a seven-hour operation at the Santa Corona Hospital in Pietra Ligure this afternoon. The Lotus Renault GP driver had been diagnosed with multiple fractures to his right arm and leg following a high-speed accident at the Ronda de Andora rally this morning. He also suffered severe cuts to his forearm, which could have an impact on his right hand mobility.

Doctors are reasonably satisfied with the way the operation went. Tonight, Robert’s condition remains stable but serious. He has been placed into an induced coma and could be woken up in the morning.

Professor Mario Igor Rossello, Director for the Regional Centre of Hand Surgery at San Paolo Hospital in Savona: “It has been a very important and difficult operation. Robert Kubica’s right forearm was cut in two places, with significant lesions to the bones and the tendons. We did our best to rebuild the functions of the forearm. It took seven doctors, split into two teams and a total of seven hours to complete the operation. One team was the emergency task force from the hospital of San Paolo (Savona) that is normally appointed to treat this sort of injury, while the other team came from the orthopaedic department of the Santa Corona Hospital (Pietra Ligure). At the end of the operation, Robert’s hand was well vascularised and warm, which is encouraging. Following the surgery, Robert Kubica will remain under permanent monitoring overnight because his condition remains serious.”

Eric Boullier, Team Principal and Managing Director of Lotus Renault GP: “The news of Robert’s accident came as a real shock to the whole team. All of us, at Lotus Renault GP, wish him a quick recovery. We have been really impressed with the way the doctors looked after him today and we would like to thank the whole team of the Santa Corona Hospital for their professional approach and dedication. I will be traveling to Italy tomorrow, along with Vitaly Petrov, in order to see Robert and tell him that we are impatiently waiting for his return.”

Another update will be made tomorrow morning at 9h30, at the hospital, by Prof. Rossello and Daniel Morelli, Robert’s manager.

Given how bad his arm is injured it is hard to see him returning this year. Just hopes ne returns sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The reports dont make for good reading, I really doubt Kubica will be back this year. From what I can tell he is lucky to not have lost his arm.

Description of operation does make it sound like a big reconstruction. Got to hope things go well the next few days and he at least gets a chance at driving again sometime in the future. Had been such a good week with the car being talked about so much and things looking positive.

But like you say could have been worse, with the barrier penetrating the car could have been a fatal accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

guyfo wrote: »
    Your one of those people who watch f1 on a Sunday and call themselves a motorsport enthusiast arent you? theres more than 1 top tier. f1 for single seaters, wrc for rallying, wtcc for touring cars and the sprint cup for stock cars.
    dont be so closed minded.

Well since you asked, no. I also watch NASCAR, IndyCar, Formula 3 when I get a chance, BTCC when I have time, ALMS and highlights of plenty of other stuff. Unfortunately I like other sports too and I'm in college and enjoy alcohol and company quite a bit so I don't have time to follow every series.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Aaaaaanyway, back on topic. From what the doctors have been saying, it looks increasingly likely that the earliest we'll see him back will be 2012. Probably a good thing too, given the seriousness of his injuries. Don't want him coming back too early and causing even more damage.

I really think that we will see him race in Formula 1 again. The patients attitude and outlook plays a big part in recovery and I think its safe to say that he'll be incredibly motivated to get back to to F1. The fact that he was rallying at all shows how passionate he is about racing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

When Kubica has an accident, they're big. Feel really sorry for the bloke and it certainly doesn't look good for his 2011 season. Kinda like the guy, and would hate to see him miss out on challenging for the title this year.

Sure his massive Canada crash back in 2007 only put him out for a one or two races (can't remember exactly), but it was reserve driver Seb vettle who stepped in for him. Will history repeat itself? (too soon to discuss possible replacements?)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

astrofluff wrote: »
    When Kubica has an accident, they're big. Feel really sorry for the bloke and it certainly doesn't look good for his 2011 season. Kinda like the guy, and would hate to see him miss out on challenging for the title this year.

Sure his massive Canada crash back in 2007 only put him out for a one or two races (can't remember exactly), but it was reserve driver Seb vettle who stepped in for him. Will history repeat itself? (too soon to discuss possible replacements?)

Not too soon at all, it's pretty much an inevitability that he'll have to be replaced for some period of time. Bruno Senna is their third driver this year but this years car seems like it could be a genuine contender in the right hands and i think that it would be wasted on the pairing of Petrov and Senna.

I think they need an experienced driver to develop the car alongside Petrov. Heidfeld would be the most obvious choice but de la Rosa and Liuzzi are also available at the moment. The only driver I can think of whose talent even comes close to that of Kubica is Kimi Raikkonen but it will take a lot to prise him away from WRC.

How I'd love if Kimi just popped back for a year, won the title then pissed off again. :pac:

Ficus wrote: »
    petrov gets his setups from kubica so he is going to struggle without a true team leader able to do the tough setup work. i dont think senna is the correct replacement for an entire season, a few races perhaps, but i think the team could do no wrong in picking up heidfeld or even de la rosa who is legendary for his setup work.

How's DLR for development? Unless they pull someone really top class out of the hat they may write this season off.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Latest news form tvn24.pl-Kubica woke up after surgery, -surgery took 7h, -his hand or arm won't be amputated, but ful recovery can take up to 1 year.-he was just 10 cm from death, when barrier wnet to the car. in 2003 he already broke the same right hand - he has 18 screws in right hand. this is a camera from a car that was behind Kubica's skoda. http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALbxMiwf4nw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Pic here of the Armco sticking out the front of the car

http://www.gry-online.pl/Galeria/Forum/2/350348059.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Inbox wrote: »
    Pic here of the Armco sticking out the front of the car

http://www.gry-online.pl/Galeria/Forum/2/350348059.jpg

You're about 11 hours too late :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

With testing starting on Thursday the team need to start thinking in terms of replacement drivers if, as is now expected, Kubica misses the whole season. There's the usual lineup to be considered of race drivers from last year and Raikkonen should get a call from the team as well but I've got an outsider for consideration

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

True but look at Zanardi, he lost both his lower legs and is still racing at the top level.

Zinardi is astonishing although I can imagine how someone could be quick given all the controls at their hands if enough feel could be built into the brake controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    Latest news form tvn24.pl-Kubica woke up after surgery, -surgery took 7h, -his hand or arm won't be amputated, but ful recovery can take up to 1 year.-he was just 10 cm from death, when barrier wnet to the car. in 2003 he already broke the same right hand - he has 18 screws in right hand. this is a camera from a car that was behind Kubica's skoda. http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALbxMiwf4nw

He also lost aprox 6-7 litres of blood and preventing from any further loss was doctors main concern. How ever it seem's he's in stable condition.

Best luck to him and let's hope he gets well quickly and goes back to racing. Would be a great tragedy if this has ended his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    this is a camera from a car that was behind Kubica's skoda. http://www.youtube.com/embed/ALbxMiwf4nw

That stretch of road looks ridiculously dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

omri wrote: »
    He also lost aprox 6-7 litres of blood and preventing from any further loss was doctors main concern. How ever it seem's he's in stable condition.

Best luck to him and let's hope he gets well quickly and goes back to racing. Would be a great tragedy if this has ended his career.
    Doubt he lost 6 or 7 litres of blood seeing as the body only has around 5 and a half litres in total. Must be more sensationalist reporting somewhere!
    Shame though, he's one of my fav drivers. Fantastically talented. Really hope he recovers for next year.

I was just about to post that. Regardless of that, apparently his arm was practically hanging off him.
    It'll be a fairly horrible and painful recovery none the less for the poor chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fanthomas

Footage from on-board camera of Mauro Morano and Corrado Bonato['s. car.At 3.15 min there is Kubica's crashed car on the road.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMm18Bu8bo

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Doubt he lost 6 or 7 litres of blood seeing as the body only has around 5 and a half litres in total. Must be more sensationalist reporting somewhere!
    Shame though, he's one of my fav drivers. Fantastically talented. Really hope he recovers for next year.

When they say lost that much blood, they are no doubt referring to blood lost while hooked up to an additional blood supply. If he was a long time in the car, Im sure they had blood at the scene. With an injury like that, im sure it was just running out of him as fast as they could give it to him.

Looking at the video, its certainly a challenging stage, no room for loss of concentration there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

Really gutted for the lad, loved watching him last year and taught he could really give it a good go this year. He could have been in a decent car. hope the reports of a year out are untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

frostie500 wrote: »
    With testing starting on Thursday the team need to start thinking in terms of replacement drivers if, as is now expected, Kubica misses the whole season. There's the usual lineup to be considered of race drivers from last year and Raikkonen should get a call from the team as well but I've got an outsider for consideration

Very Interesting. Had thought of all this. Could have wrote it myself except the Raikkonen part.

I think all things being equal, its a no brainer.

1) Raikkonen
    2) Heidfield
    3) Davidson ( IMO, some may disagree on this one, but I think he is faster than De La Rosa, and, Liuzzi and has more experience than Hülkenberg )

This is assuming that Renault decided not to use one of their in house drivers. Dont know why they, first of all signed Senna, who had a very disappointing year against all three team mates, and second have all made him reserve driver over Romain Grosjean. If Renault do look in house, I think they should go with Grosjean. He deserves another shot at F1

Just throwing all this out for comment

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

LOL. JV back. Would be interested to hear if he has made up any more excuses for being out qualified.

I think when all is said and done, it will be Heidfield. He ticks all the boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Nah, I think Hulkenberg would be quicker than all of them. Would Force India let him though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I understand where yore coming from Lightning but Raikkonen is the best driver that they could target and he would be very useful in bringing in sponsorship for the new year. At the launch there was a lot of in-house advertising on the car from GenII and their companies and when you consider that last year they requested to get their 2011 TV money early its pretty clear that they need an injection of cash. I'd imagine that Raikkonen wouldnt be interested in coming to the team, he clearly loves rallying, but the team need to target him. I believe that if they can offer him an attractive deal that sees very few PR days that he would suddenly find his love of F1 again-it was never driving the car that was an issue for him.

If it was a choice between the likes of de la Rosa, Heidfeld or Davidson I'd give Davidson a shot. He has so much experience developing cars and at the end of the day de la Rosa and Heidfeld did very little to distinguish themselves last year, admittidly the Sauber was not a great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Heidfield would be my choice, experienced driver who hasn't been out of F1 for any long period, can't see Kimi coming back to be honest

mickdw wrote: »
    When they say lost that much blood, they are no doubt referring to blood lost while hooked up to an additional blood supply. If he was a long time in the car, Im sure they had blood at the scene. With an injury like that, im sure it was just running out of him as fast as they could give it to him.
    It doesn't really work like that to be fair. If all his blood left his system he'd die instantly. Once they attended to him at the scene, they'd have stopped the blood loss. You get blood intraveinously, at a very slow rate, something like half a litre in 2 hours, as you can't take it in that fast, regardless of how quick you're loosing it. (recent experience with blood loss and new blood being administered!!)
    I'd say that story is just from some journalist who was over eager with the headline grabbing.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It doesn't really work like that to be fair. If all his blood left his system he'd die instantly. Once they attended to him at the scene, they'd have stopped the blood loss. You get blood intraveinously, at a very slow rate, something like half a litre in 2 hours, as you can't take it in that fast, regardless of how quick you're loosing it. (recent experience with blood loss and new blood being administered!!)
    I'd say that story is just from some journalist who was over eager with the headline grabbing.

Fair enough. I thought it was considerably faster than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

On the replacement driver scenario, i think the lure of a black and gold Lotus-Renault with a yellow helmet and the name Senna next to the cockpit will be a bit too much for the teams top brass. After all they aint exactly rich and had to ask for this seasons tv money last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Fanthomas wrote: »
    Footage from on-board camera of Mauro Morano and Corrado Bonato['s. car.At 3.15 min there is Kubica's crashed car on the road.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poMm18Bu8bo

Very sad sight when they come upon Kubicas car and thats the reason they got rid of all the armco barriers in F1. Too many deaths and serious injuries.

Advertisement