Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kubica injured after crashing out of rally

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

reiger wrote: »
    will you go away and educate yourself on what happens in rallying,such a daft comment.
    most F1 fans hadnt a clue what a skoda fabia S2K was before last sunday or what a rally car looked like, now there all experts.

Are you for real? Most F1 fans?

All he said was the WRC should look at improving safety with regards to armco's. & he's right. Motorsport is a sport at the end of the day, it has its risks, but no sport is worth the cost of human fataities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

reiger wrote: »
    will you go away and educate yourself on what happens in rallying,such a daft comment.
    most F1 fans hadnt a clue what a skoda fabia S2K was before last sunday or what a rally car looked like, now there all experts.

Oh yay an F1 hating rally fanboy!!:rolleyes:
    I am not an expert on rallying, F1, Indycars, MotoGP, Touring cars etc. and nor will i pretend to be. All i'm saying is that there are ways to improve safety in all forms of motorsport so accidents like this can be prevented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Alright guys, lets keep it friendly

You both have points but you cant compare F1 safety standards to rallying. Rallying by its very nature is on open roads, you cant expect them to have F1 standard barriers on a couple of hundred Km`s of stages. It was very unlucky crash but lets no go having one of those knee jerk reactions.

It's like road racing, there's an amount that can be done but there'll always be the few who are unfortunate every year. Not being critical of them or anything but they know the risks and choose to keep doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

As much as I like Kubica, he and everyone around him knows the risks of driving around a cliff face at 100+ mph. I dont agree in making knee jerk reactions, like those rediculous grooved tyres which plagued F1 for 10 years or the chicane at Eau Rouge, just because a top driver gets injured. And I'm sure Kubica and drivers of his mentality would not want to race in a steralised, risk free environment. That I respect.

And he has already made known his intention to be back racing in F1 before the season is over, which is great to hear.
    Kubica determined to ‘come back stronger than before’

11 February 2011

Robert Kubica is hoping to make a return to Formula 1 during this year’s championship, with the Pole beginning a long course of recovery after a rally accident in Italy last weekend. The Lotus Renault GP driver believes a 2011 comeback is possible, with the sport entering an all-time record 20 Grands Prix this season.

Kubica was taken to hospital on Sunday after losing a substantial amount of blood, as well as suffering multiple fractures along the right-hand side of his body. Despite the serious nature of his injuries, the 26-year-old is remaining strong-minded, and wants to get back into the cockpit of an F1 car as soon as possible.

"I want on to be even stronger on my return than I was before," Kubica told Gazzetta dello Sport. "After my crash in Canada, I missed a race, but I came back stronger. Since 2007, I am mentally stronger and it will not be different this time. My goal is to return this year.

"I must return this year. I remember well my state when, seven years ago, I was in a car with a friend driving, we were hit by another car driven by a drunk. Back then too, we ended up against an armco barrier and bent it, before falling down a cliff."

Pre-season testing is continuing at Jerez this week, with Nick Heidfeld set to be at the wheel of the R31 on Saturday, when the German makes his bid to claim the currently vacant seat at Renault.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/252473/kubica-determined-to-come-back-stronger-than-before/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

its good to hear that he wants to get back into an F1 car and hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets back this season :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Great to hear he has the fight in him. Best news i heard all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I never knew he was hit by a drunk driver - he has really been through the wars :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Christ. He's a bit of a jinx. If I ever see him boarding the same plane as me I'm getting off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

At this point I'd be listening to what the doctors say and not his fiancée.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Renault have a released a statement ahead of Kubica's operation today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9397019.stm
    Robert Kubica's Renault team say his condition remains "good" and he is due to have a final operation on Wednesday to repair his remaining injuries.

The Polish driver suffered multiple fractures and a partially severed right hand in a rally crash eight days ago.Surgeons have repaired his hand and on Friday they operated on fractures in his right arm and leg. The remaining surgery is to repair his injured elbow.Renault said he would stay in intensive care until his final operation.

A team statement on Monday read: "The latest update on Robert is that his condition remains positive. He will stay in intensive care for the next couple of days to allow a complete check-up and to avoid another change of department before his final operation. His good general condition means that the final surgery (on the elbow) is scheduled for Wednesday."

Renault's statement followed reports that Kubica's girlfriend had told a Polish television station that his physical and psychological condition had worsened. The team described the report as "wrong".

Kubica, 26, who finished eighth in the 2010 drivers' table, underwent seven hours of surgery to save his hand after crashing his Skoda Fabia against a church wall. On Friday, he underwent a further nine hours of surgery to rebuild his foot, shoulder and the inner part of his elbow. He is being treated at the Santa Corona Hospital, 35 miles south-west of Genoa, one of the country's leading trauma care units.

Kubica is expected to miss the entire 2011 season, but he told Gazzetta dello Sport on Friday that he was aiming to return to F1 before the end of the year. Renault are expected to name his former BMW Sauber team-mate Nick Heidfeld as his stand-in this week. The 33-year-old German impressed in a test at Jerez in Spain at the weekend, setting the fastest time on Saturday.

His girlfriend isn't a neurosurgeon then :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They're (the doctors and fiancee) talking about different things and from different perspectives I think. When someone has had very serious injuries and major surgery, they're going to have better days and they're going to have worse days, both mentally and physically. As a visiting loved one his fiancee is going to be very focused on how he is feeling at any particular time. The doctors on the other hand will look at various scans and indicators etc to form an opinion about a long term prognosis and recovery prospects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

stevenmu wrote: »
    They're (the doctors and fiancee) talking about different things and from different perspectives I think. When someone has had very serious injuries and major surgery, they're going to have better days and they're going to have worse days, both mentally and physically. As a visiting loved one his fiancee is going to be very focused on how he is feeling at any particular time. The doctors on the other hand will look at various scans and indicators etc to form an opinion about a long term prognosis and recovery prospects

More like F1 sites willing to publish anything just for a few page views. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

Skoda recreate Kubica’s rally accident

Advertisement