Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kubica injured after crashing out of rally

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Christ. Was going to stick a few quid on him for the title but I won't be doing so now. Hope he's back for the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

Another report i have says it happenen on a Road section between stages http://thef1times.com/news/display/02616

but i belive talk from rally sourses confirm frostie500's story is spot on

hope all is ok and a speedy recovery,maybe reports are worse than actually things are

Well he's conscious supposedly so unless they're some extreme broken bones he should be back for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

amacachi wrote: »
    Well he's conscious supposedly so unless they're some extreme broken bones he should be back for the season.

The new season starts in five weeks today so if its a broken leg he could be touch and go for Bahrain but he would, in all likelihood be fit enough for Melbourne. If its a broken arm it could be a different story because of a past fracture.

It's all up in the air at the minute anyway so best to wait until Renault release their statement before looking at how much time he'll miss

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

bad news for Renault and Kubica after strong test, hope it's nothing too serious.

When they say "serious accident" its worrying. Eurosport say he hit a wall

• Advertisement

Renault released their first statement on the accident. It doesnt go into any detail on Kubica's injuries but I'll update this page when they release their next statement

planet f1 mentions more details but mightn't be accurate
    Robert Kubica has been seriously injured in a rallying accident.

Preliminary reports claim that the Renault driver has suffered 'several fractures' after overturning his Skoda Fabia when he left the road at high speed and crashed into a wall of a church on the opening stage.

His co-driver, Jacub Gerber, emerged from the wreck unhurt but Kubica had to be helped from the car.

The Pole, who was taking part in the Super2000 category of the Rally Ronde di Andora, was then flown to the Santa Corona hospital in Pietra Ligure.

Initial reports suggest he has 'several fractures but not life threatening' and has broken one, if not both, of his wrists.

More to follow...

and from bbc
    Formula 1 star Robert Kubica has suffered fractures to his left arm and left leg after a high-speed rally crash in Italy, BBC Sport understands.

The 26-year-old Pole crashed into a church wall and was air-lifted to a hospital near Genoa.

A spokeswoman for his British-based Renault team told Reuters the driver was conscious and a statement would be issued shortly.

It looks unlikely he will be ready for the new season, starting on 13 March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The fractures seem to be the true story it seems, hope its not too serious. Can see this being his last rally anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

crazy news..what was he doing rallying anyway? ferrari wont even let their drivers go skiing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Gintonious wrote: »
    The fractures seem to be the true story it seems, hope its not too serious. Can see this being his last rally anyway.

German media are reporting that his hand may need to be amputated, hope this isn't the case.

• Advertisement

Cool_CM wrote: »
    German media are reporting that his hand may need to be amputated, hope this isn't the case.

That would be pretty ****.

Cool_CM wrote: »

Considering the lack of information on Robert's condition I think it very irresponsible for any leading media outlet to be releasing stories like that. In this era of instant news it seems that everyone wants to be able to say "we got there first with this story" and as a result there is sensational reporting that can easily be deleted when Robert's condition is confirmed. Until that point I don't see why anyone should report on what is the ultimate worst case scenario

An Italian paper just released the first pictures of Kubica's car:
    kubica-rally-crash2.jpg

frostie500 wrote: »
    Considering the lack of information on Robert's condition I think it very irresponsible for any leading media outlet to be releasing stories like that. In this era of instant news it seems that everyone wants to be able to say "we got there first with this story" and as a result there is sensational reporting that can easily be deleted when Robert's condition is confirmed. Until that point I don't see why anyone should report on what is the ultimate worst case scenario

Could be a case of them getting the story first. Hopefully you're right though and they're just being dicks. We don't live in an age of "instant news" yet, there'll always be certain people who can get news before anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

there are photos of him intubated so really does look pretty bad but speculating about how bad injuries could be is pretty bad from some media, might be an update at 1pm

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sockpuppets

press conferance at 1pm from the hospital

Anywhere confirmed as showing the press conference? If Sky Sports News don't I'll be disappointed. I know they try to ignore sports they're not allowed to show but this is a big story.

amacachi wrote: »
    Could be a case of them getting the story first. Hopefully you're right though and they're just being dicks. We don't live in an age of "instant news" yet, there'll always be certain people who can get news before anyone else.

The main reason I was negative about the RTL story was that I saw it about an hour and a half ago, at a time when there was little to no information, so it struck me as them taking a stab in the dark and looking to get quick hits on their site. I'd be surprised if they knew the seriousness of Kubica's condition somewhere in the region of two hours before anyone else.

frostie500 wrote: »
    The main reason I was negative about the RTL story was that I saw it about an hour and a half ago, at a time when there was little to no information, so it struck me as them taking a stab in the dark and looking to get quick hits on their site. I'd be surprised if they knew the seriousness of Kubica's condition somewhere in the region of two hours before anyone else.

True, though you never know. Would there have been much of a media presence at the rally? If they were one of the few there who got the story then it could be true.

If it's inaccurate though it's very bad form. Even if it's accurate the fact that others aren't really reporting it would imply that they won't confirm the story to other news outlets so either way they're being dicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I really hope hes OK. Hes already survived one huge shunt in Canada but why did Renault allow him to go rallying. Madness. Havent they not learned from Red Bull and Mark Webbers troubles?

The press conference has been put back until 3 because Kubica is still in surgery.

I really hope hes OK. Hes already survived one huge shunt in Canada but why did Renault allow him to go rallying. Madness. Havent they not learned from Red Bull and Mark Webbers troubles?

Presumably it covered in contracts what he can and can't do. Could have been something he needed to be allowed do when agreeing to join the team. Or maybe they just didn't see it as risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Its all speculation at the minute anyway, I'd say it will be the evening before we get anything concrete about his condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭danh789

danh789 wrote: »

Well basically nothing has been said by hospital, so it's a bit of a silly statement saying certain things haven't been discounted

here are some photos of him stabilised and going to hospital, nothing bad but not the nicest thing to look at
    http://www.sportmediaset.mediaset.it/formula1/photogallery/3931/kubica-le-immagini-dellincidente.shtml

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Jesus I hope its not as bad as we think. Its never good to hear of drivers being injured.

Well I think it's pretty much confirmed there's a few fractures so it looks like he may as well get ready to write off yet another season in the best case scenario.

Then that means that Senna will get a drive after all. Which isnt great as he isnt a patch on Kubica.

Be nice to see Senna get a decent drive though. Pity for Kubica, did great in 2008, BMW messed up for 2009 then he spent last year building for this year and now this year may be written off as well.

• Advertisement

Then that means that Senna will get a drive after all. Which isnt great as he isnt a patch on Kubica.

Heidfield might be another option, if they want somebody experienced

Advertisement