Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thelas

I started this as a new year's resolution at the start of the month. I am a Dub living in Melbourne at the moment, 28 and was relatively out of shape starting it. I am tracking my progress on this site.

My next run is the Week 5 Day 3, which has the first 20 minute straight run (the longest concentrated run up until now was 8 minutes) and I suppose this is the most daunting of all the runs in the programme.

Anyone doing this, i would wholeheartedly recommend the iphone app "C25k" which is superb. It has GPS features in it now too (you have to pay more for that though).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

W4 d3 done such a hard week so next run onto w5 it will definitely take a few extra runs to get me to the 20 min run on d3 but I dont mind it takin longer as long as I get there in the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Finished Week 9 day 3 today!!! Im officially finished!!

Seriously never thought I'd get this far so to everyone on this programme..... KEEP GOING!!! Its sooooo worth it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Good going. Now its time for you (and everyone else who'll be finishing in the next 6 weeks) to sign up for a race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

RayCun wrote: »
    Good going. Now its time for you (and everyone else who'll be finishing in the next 6 weeks) to sign up for a race!

Thanks Raycun! I've been thinking about this for a while now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

wow congrats.... hope i get to post those same words someday soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Seriously never thought I'd get this far so to everyone on this programme..... KEEP GOING!!! Its sooooo worth it!!!!

Well done.........great work.......you're an inspiration to us all.

W3d3 done.........doing my runs on a beach and on last run hit strong winds head on and that made the run so much tougher.......had underestimated the effect of strong winds. Looking forward to w4d1.

Here's another 5k in Dublin, a little closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭eefums

:cool::cool::cool:
    Wow seriously well done, fair play to you. A small question, are u actually running 5km now or 30 mins and a shorter distance? Just wondering if ur distance builds up as the weeks go on? I am on week 4 now and including my 5 min walk im just managing 3km?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Seriously fell off the running wagon! New job with erratic hours, but things seem to be getting a bit better. Starting today again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

anyone having trouble with knee pain...............mine are in bits and I am finding it hard to go out now. Have not been out since last wed night( a week goddam it)

I dont want to stop but it can get very uncomfortable!!

Any advice??

frAg

Get good shoes, run on grass, see a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Well done to you all who are finishing the program or well into it. Delighted to see people keeping focused and getting there in the end.

I completed W3d2 today. It went well and I will run again Friday morning.

I too am still only covering about 3k in these runs, am wondering at whta week do you actually cover 5k. Could anybody who is further along shed some light?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CeNedra wrote: »
    I too am still only covering about 3k in these runs, am wondering at whta week do you actually cover 5k. Could anybody who is further along shed some light?
    Back in the day when I did Couch to 5k, it would take me about 34-36 minutes to cover 5k in week 8-9. Just keep at it and you'll get faster.

Just signed up for the operation transformation 5k on 19th of Feb ill be on week 6 of the programme so will run some and walk some im actually really looking forward to it anyone else thinking of doing it.

elsy wrote: »
    Just signed up for the operation transformation 5k on 19th of Feb ill be on week 6 of the programme so will run some and walk some im actually really looking forward to it anyone else thinking of doing it.

Hey Elsy, I will be on week 6 that week too and signed up last night, figure I have to do a 25 min run anywya thatweek so why not push myself and see what its really like at that distance!
    I reckon Iw ill be walkin a lot of it tho!:D

I was thinking it would be a good one to start with people all shapes and sizes and fitness levels. It well help keep me motivated im starting w5 today this is the week ive been dreading but sure we'll see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've signed up for this too :eek:

I was thinking it would be a good one to start with people all shapes and sizes and fitness levels.

Most races do, to be honest. There are always a few people at the front who tear off at amazing speeds, and some people at the back who take the time to enjoy the scenery. There may be more of the latter in this race, but you shouldn't get the idea that the standard in other races is too high for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Get good shoes, run on grass, see a physio.

Cheers,

I have the good shoes(had gait done)

I try to run on grass but as I use Phoenix park for running and its usually dark I find it easier to run on the pavement as the grass is not too uneven in parts and as its dark I am afriad of spraining ankle in divet in grass. As soon as it gets brighter in the eves you wont get my of the grass I poromise ya!!

Hope to have physio next week.

Was thinking of joining gym also for swimming to build up strenght in leg. Has anyone tried this? Any advice?

Thanks again

frAg

• Advertisement

Most races do, to be honest. There are always a few people at the front who tear off at amazing speeds, and some people at the back who take the time to enjoy the scenery. There may be more of the latter in this race, but you shouldn't get the idea that the standard in other races is too high for you.
    thats great to know I was worried that other races would be like that and id be hobbling at the back miles behind the rest. Its all so new to me most ive ever done is womens mini marathon but that was just walking having a chat with the girls not pushing myself at,all.

I was thinking it would be a good one to start with people all shapes and sizes and fitness levels. It well help keep me motivated im starting w5 today this is the week ive been dreading but sure we'll see how it goes

yea elsy I was the same, thought I wouldnt stand out form the crowd too much!
    week 5 wow, can u believe it? You will fly it today tho i k now it, havnt you every week? I keep surprising myself so why will it be different eh?
    thanks ray, also good to know this as its really daunting thinking you will look likke a twat, and having the medics rush over cos u look like ur about to drop! :D

The first race I ever did was the Jingle Bells 5k (december 2009)
    The winner finished in under 15 minutes, I got in around 28/29 minutes, and about 20 people finished in over 38 minutes.

some good advice just posted in the operation transformation event thread
    If it's a first race for anyone looking here then just follow a few basic rules if you're beginning
    1. don't march up the front and place yourself in front of someone who is wearing small amounts of lycra and looks like they weigh about six stone - they will probably be faster than you

2. equally have a bit of faith in yourself and don't be afraid of pushing up a bit and getting into an area that looks about your pace. If you're down the back surrounded by people in three layers of coats and jackets and with a bag of snacks then you'll spend the whole race trying to dodge around walkers which is very frustrating and tiring

3. don't wear too many clothes - you should be cold starting off. However have someone at the finish with a warm jacket if you can, you'll get cold very quickly when you stop

4. don't change your routine, eat the same breakfast - there's no need to carb load or start glugging gels for a 5k

5. have your breakfast early, I need at least two hours before a race to digest but everyone is different. Others can be munching ham sandwiches on the way to the start without a bother.

6. keep a smile on your face and enjoy the race. Don't be afraid to push yourself for the last one or two kilometers.

7. enlist the support of family or friends. It's lovely to have a smiley face at the finish. And if it's your first race, you'll have an amazing sense of achievement that's lovely to share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rachelle

Hi everyone i am also doing the couch to 5k.
    Does anyone know of a podcast/download available to bring you from 5k to 10k when you are finished the original programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Totally agree, there's only one person in last place and odds are that it won't be you, and even if it is you, the race is about your accomplishment, how fast and how far you've run.

Most people can't run 5k at any pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

mrslow wrote: »
    Totally agree, there's only one person in last place and odds are that it won't be you, and even if it is you, the race is about your accomplishment, how fast and how far you've run.

Most people can't run 5k at any pace.

+1

I admire anyone who can run 5k - no matter the time. I also admire the people who start at the back more, usually because it is a first for them and therefore a hell of a challenge.
    Hold your head high for even entering. And when you cross the finish line, smile and think of all those who are sitting in front of the tv, eating stodgy food....while you are out there burning the calories. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

I finished C25k last August and did 5K run in Oct and finished in 37 mins and the sense of accomplishment was great! I think this is a great race to enter for all us newbie runners and even newer c25k babes. It is only after doing your first race/run that you realise what everyone always says...it doesn't matter where you finish.
    Just smile as you cross the line and admire yourself for your accomplishment.
    See you all there, I bet there will be a great atmosphere!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

maria74 wrote: »
    I finished C25k last August and did 5K run in Oct and finished in 37 mins and the sense of accomplishment was great! I think this is a great race to enter for all us newbie runners and even newer c25k babes. It is only after doing your first race/run that you realise what everyone always says...it doesn't matter where you finish.
    Just smile as you cross the line and admire yourself for your accomplishment.
    See you all there, I bet there will be a great atmosphere!:D

Racing is your reward for training, it will hook you and keep you motivated past 5k and beyond.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all the positive race comments they have me really looking forward to it. So just finished w5 d1 and to my shock felt it fine so fine that at the last interval I decided to keep running and guess what I made it too 12 mins I cant believe it especially as I found week 4 a challenge like really hard I actually cried when I finished d 3 think w4 was my wall but im passed it and back in form for w5.

Advertisement