Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

eefums wrote: »
    so w5 d2 done? madness!
    was pretty tough but i struggled throough, was counting down the seconds to the end of the 8 minutes each time!
    No idea how I am gonna manage 20mins on friday? struggling with 8 mins cannot see myself being able to push it to 20? anybody got any advice hints or tips!
    and yea I am already going slow, defo slower than if i was walking for sure? Is this normal?

Before I started doing the second 5min run on w4d1, I thought I was going to keel over and die but I kept the pace very slow and ended up doing 8 mins.
    Just go very slow, keep the feet moving up high enough, and distract yourself. I think a lot of the "i cant go on" is psychological. Maybe put on some more inspirational or upbeat music toward the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

bluewolf wrote: »
    Before I started doing the second 5min run on w4d1, I thought I was going to keel over and die but I kept the pace very slow and ended up doing 8 mins.
    Just go very slow, keep the feet moving up high enough, and distract yourself. I think a lot of the "i cant go on" is psychological. Maybe put on some more inspirational or upbeat music toward the end :)

The Superman or Rocky theme tunes would do the trick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tigamber

I finished W6 D2 last nite! last session with a walking section:confused: Eefums i was like that last week thinking i wouldnt be able for the 20mins but finished it! just keep a nice slow pace and keep going you will want to stop at times but think of the good feeling you have when you finish a week that will help keep the motivation up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

mrslow wrote: »
    The Superman or Rocky theme tunes would do the trick ;)

ha ha that was the song that palyed for the last 8 min run lst ngiht the rocky one!
    Think I may have to play them on loop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

W1 D2 complete. Tried running for an extra 30 seconds just to see, but could only make it 10 seconds. Am not looking forward to next week for the 90sec run :(

But judging by other posters here, we all seem to have started thinking that it was impossible.

What keeps me going is writing it up here that another step is complete :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

w4d2 complete :cool:

w4d3 completed at 7am this morning because I am a crazy person

commence hobbling around til monday, week 5... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Wk 2 Day 3 completed this morning.

I found day 1 to be bad, day 2 was not to bad and today was ok, bar my legs felt like they were going to give up at a few stages.

Taking it easy now until W3 starts monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W4D1 completed this morning, cant believe i rang for sixteen minutes yahoo! i ran on the beach in portmarnock.. sand is definitely the surface to run on.... cant believe i have come so far in just a few weeks.... have a feeling i may need to repeat this week though... the thoughts of doing that amount of running again on monday is daunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

You'll be grand - the second time is easier.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    You'll be grand - the second time is easier.

+1

You've conquered it, you know you can do it, it will be easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

So w6 d2 done and the last day of intervals all straight through running now eeeeek! Wish me luck! By the way I enjoy running never in a million years did I think them words would come out of mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

Wow you are all such an inspiration. I had been contemplating whether to do the C25K or not for ages and after reading this thread I'm definitely motivated.

My problem is that I'm the type of person that needs music to exercise, My I pod is broken and I don't have a Iphone. I have an MP3 player nice and cheap but would love to be able to download music with instructions in MP3 format as opposed to pod casts, has anyone any advise/help on this.

Really want to get started with this.

Hope you can help me :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The Robert Ullreys podcasts are available in MP3 format.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I started this this evening. Found it tough enough but felt great afterwards.

I am slightly paranoid that my knees/legs will give out from under me though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭colliewobbles

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Started w3 today.

90 seconds run was fine, first 3 minute run was tough, but the 2nd one i felt i was stumbling to the end of it. It was very tough, (for me anyways). But i got through it and had a great sence of achievement when i completed it.
    31 and never did any excercise in my life and now running for 3 minutes straight in just 3 weeks. delighted with it

Those are great and I really recommend them, except for week 4, I think the music isn't really good for it. I made my own playlist for week 4 carefully timed :pac: back to him for w5 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

W5D1 completed. Unbelieveably found it fine. Found the start of W4 so hard that I never thought I'd find the start of W5 okay!

Delighted with myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Well thats week 1 down, legs are killing me though. Might have to start on grass I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

11811 wrote: »
    Well thats week 1 down, legs are killing me though. Might have to start on grass I think!

Make sure you have a decent pair of runners too.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭pokermonkey

RayCun wrote: »
    Make sure you have a decent pair of runners too.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W4D2 done! thought i would find it really hard but it was okay... cant believe the difference in my fitness level in just four weeks..
    am so glad i started this programme, if anyone is reading this as nike say 'just do it'! I am 41 and have never done any exercise bar walking in my entire life and now i can run (albeit slowly) for five minute stretches..

Ramette wrote: »
    cant believe the difference in my fitness level in just four weeks

Wait until you see yourself at 4 months, once you get to 5k the advances come in leaps and bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

So w6 d3 done 25 mins non stop I still cant believe im at this stage and running 25 mins straight! On with week 7 now :)

w5d1 done :D

dreading the rest of the week!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Getting addicted to this running business.........I am on w4d2 but due to working 12 hour days and family activities I haven’t had a chance to get running in the last 6 days, looking forward to finishing w4 on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

W2-D1 Complete :)

Delighted! Even managed a couple of extra seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Week 4 completed :D

Actually cant believe it!! feels like such an achievement :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Moman

Whoah Great Thread, Just noticed it
    Im on wk2..... part 2 planned tonight

Really encouraging comments as i have been finding changing from wk1 to wk 2 hard , i have a bit more hope for the future weeks

Advertisement