Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭eefums

poconnor16 wrote: »
    It is so fantastic to see posts from people who are losing weight the best way - through exercise and a healty diet (I hope:)).
    If you guys have been losing 3lbs + imagine what you can do when you are able to run 3 miles non stop!;)

Thats what im wondering p? If i continue this and eat a moderate diet ( basically tryint o be really good durign the week and lettin myself eat out at he weekends) what can I expect? Continued weight loss adn finally be thin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I started Week 8 yesterday! Aiming to finish the program before February 11th 2010. That's just five more runs... easy, right?

Unfortunately I've started and restarted this program about 3 or 4 times since last April (usually I'd get to about W6D2 and things would drop off... then I'd start back about Week 4, get stuck repeating Week 5 for ages, and fall out of habit again) but this time it's really seemed to click into place. I've learned to recognise the things that cause me to fall out of the habit and how to avoid that happening. Right now I'm still on a high from the 28 minute run last night :D I never thought I'd be able to run for 5 minutes, let alone that! I'm so very very glad I started this program, it's one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Well.....
    regular exercise + healthy diet = a fit body. Not necessarily 'thin'. But if you are over weight, you will lose weight.
    Healthy diet - huge debate on this. Some low carb, some do Weight Watchers. I find low GI is the key, loads of veg, no starchy white carbs, lean protein, fruit and gallons of water. Everything in moderation.
    Weekends? We all love to let lose I know but try not to 'cheat' for the whole weekend. Try have a cheat meal instead and leave it at that.

Its a tough question to answer really as I am not an expert. But I can give you my own experience. I started by doing C25K. Was eating crap though so saw no weight loss - wasn't too bothered. Trained for a 10k before xmas, again not watching the food. Completed it. No weight loss but was eating all sorts of crap without weight gain. (A positive as such :)).

Then after xmas, I cleaned up my act completly. Cut out the booze, sweets, crisps, white bread, white pasta etc. no fizzy drinks...I basically began to fuel my body for my runs.
    I run almost 6 days a week. Two 3 miles runs, one long run (5/6 miles for now) and I help my friend do C25k the other three days. (She is on week 4).

What was my point? Oh yes....I'm nearly weigh a stone less. :):)
    I eat to run, not run to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Anybody else use the "from couch to 30 minutes" program on the "321run lite" app for the iphone?

I did the regular couch to 5k program before but this one is killing me already after w1d2!! The programme only has 6 weeks as opposed to 8 so I suppose it has to kick my ass a bit faster than usual. Got it done anyway but was walking faster than I was running for the last 2 or 3 runs (the day was 40 seconds running with 20 seconds walking for 30 minutes). Was doing a 13 min. mile which I suppose is progress!!!

Sunday is 45 seconds running with 15 seconds walking for 20 minutes which actually sounds a bit easier to be honest!:D Guess I'll see then!

Well.....
    regular exercise + healthy diet = a fit body. Not necessarily 'thin'. But if you are over weight, you will lose weight.
    Healthy diet - huge debate on this. Some low carb, some do Weight Watchers. I find low GI is the key, loads of veg, no starchy white carbs, lean protein, fruit and gallons of water. Everything in moderation.
    Weekends? We all love to let lose I know but try not to 'cheat' for the whole weekend. Try have a cheat meal instead and leave it at that.

Its a tough question to answer really as I am not an expert. But I can give you my own experience. I started by doing C25K. Was eating crap though so saw no weight loss - wasn't too bothered. Trained for a 10k before xmas, again not watching the food. Completed it. No weight loss but was eating all sorts of crap without weight gain. (A positive as such :)).

Then after xmas, I cleaned up my act completly. Cut out the booze, sweets, crisps, white bread, white pasta etc. no fizzy drinks...I basically began to fuel my body for my runs.
    I run almost 6 days a week. Two 3 miles runs, one long run (5/6 miles for now) and I help my friend do C25k the other three days. (She is on week 4).

Thanks p, i have tried to have jsut a cheat meal that was my original plan btuthe two weekends since iv started were jsut extra busy ones.
    I dont eat much carbs at the min, two rice cakes for lunch with my salad btu I have some with my dinner, either potatoes, pasta or rice, but I have cut back myportion sizes on these. I dont eat bread baguettes or wraps etc as I cant eat wheat, I eat corn pasta which is supposedly low GI and I jsut dont like brown rice. Also ahve cut out all the crap crisps, sweets choclate etc. in the last few weeks I could tell you almost exaclty how much crap I have eaten as it has been so little.

What do u think of this? Hoping it eventually pays off.
    Gonna stick to this for another week or so anyway, as I would prefer jsutt o eat helathier rather than join weight watchers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Your diet seems grand, just make sure you are getting as much veggies into you as possible. Especially the green leafy ones. Watch the portions - thats important. Dont forget brekkie!! Very important meal.
    The important thing is you have cut out crap. I'd rather see someone eating a potato or two with dinner than chocolate bars and crisps. ;)

Effums - Its very hard to do every weekend perfectly. Just keep up your running religiously. And try your best to keep the food 'clean'. If you lapse, you lapse - so what! Just start again afresh. You're a runner now so you have one up on the 'non exercise dieters'. Constantly obsessing about food is not good either. Just start to tell yourself 'I'm a runner, so I have to put good things into my body'.

If weight loss is your number one goal, then think about this: how long did it take you to put on the extra lbs? It hardly went on in 2/3 weeks so will hardly come off that quickly (safely).... and dont be discouraged by that. You WILL get there and you WILL get fit in the meantime.

Just enjoy the feeling that running gives you. Conquer the C25k first. Then set your next goal distance - and I tell you the healthy eating will follow..

And..

well done so far - you'll kick ass on week 4.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭mvron

Hi guys,

Just back from finally doing W1D1 (had to wait til payday to get some decent running shoes). I'm about 2 stone overweight so really that's the main motivation. I'm not so good at cutting down but reckon if I get a bit of exercise in then that can't be bad.

Anyway, have been watching the thread for a while and all your stories really encouraged me to start tonight instead of going for a drink. Didn't find it too bad, but really stuck to the going slow on the run (more like plodding alright but who cares!). Only problem I found was with my breathing. Couldn't take a full breath by the end of each run. I guess that just shows how unfit I am - I'm sure it'll improve.

Thanks to all for the thread.

Thanks a mill for the encouragment P.
    Just in from week 3 run 3 and am delighted wiht how it went.
    Tried hard to slow down my pace without actually stopping:D turned out at the end of the last 3 min jog I actually felt like I could go for longer
    BRING ON WEEK FOUR :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭needaname

Wow so happy I found this thread I feel more motivated already :D going on to week 3 day 1 tomorrow. A little bit worried about the 3 minute runs but hopefully I'll get there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

Well.....

Well done to you. Great accomplishment and sounds like you have a really healthy lifestyle now. Thank you for all your positive feedback and encouragement, it is a big help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have to admit I do struggle with my diet and my weight loss is not what it should be as a result. Having said that it's taken me a bit longer than expected to get back into the swing of things where my running is concerned too.

I'm not really quite sure what the best diet is for me. I've sort of tried the more extreme end of things to a certain extent, eating seemingly nothing but protein and veg and cutting out pretty much everything else (even tomato ketchup) and I found it hard to stick to for more than a few days.

I often think everything in moderation is the key but I find myself using that to kind of allow me to come off the rails and start having one or two bars of chocolate every day when I probably should cut them down to once a week.

I'm quite interested in the Kenyan diet at the moment as described by KiwiRunner on his thread in the main A/R/T forum. I think what I like about it is that it's quite a basic diet and while it's plain, there's something appealing about it. I sometimes get a bit fed up with "western diets" so to speak and the amount of sauces and processed food that I eat. I sometimes think going back to a more "natural" diet is possibly a better option.

By "natural" I mean eating more veg and fruit and more stuff like plain carbs such as rice and potatoes. Stuff that isn't concocted in some lab with loads of stuff added to it, just to make it into something that people can eat. I don't know why, but I'm thinking about baguettes when I consider that :)

Albeit a Kenyan style diet would be very hard to stick to long term, but I think there's no harm in giving it a go for a few days or a week, or basically whenever you feel your body telling you it wants more plain food with good nutritional value.

For example the other day for lunch I just had plain boiled basmati and wholegrain rice. The only thing I added to it was a bit of salt and pepper. It was plain but it wasn't that bad.

I guess also part of the appeal is that these more plainer foods are less likely to give you an upset stomach, especially the type that has you begging for mercy in the toilet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

W2D1 complete phew! I never knew i was religious but found myself 'praying' during the running bits (holy jesus, mother of god etc), as i watched six year olds running around playing football :o

Anyway I did it and to everyone who is posting on the site please keep posting coz it certainly keeps me motivated...

one thing i have noticed is that my ahem.. bowels.. are moving a lot more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Well.....

This is very important. A lot of people are combing this with some sort of diet control/food restriction. Your body needs fuel to run, which should be a good diet. As for weight loss 2-3 lbs/month is how quick it goes on so do not lose it any quicker otherwise you will end up feeling tired/depressed and miserable because your are starving yourself and trying to to do something that requires energy.

Just did Wk 3 D1. I ran for 3 mins without stopping!!!! I am full of the joys. I am heading out tonight.... first time out in ages. All is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭pokermonkey

This thread is making me sad!
    Haven't been able to run since last saturday cause of injury. All I want to do is get out there and I'm jealous of the lot of you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Week 9 Day 2 complete! one more day left :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

W6R3 Failed last night, walked for 5 mins and was suppose to run for 25 mins, I could not do it, I only ran for 15 mins then walked more than I ran for the last 10 mins, I Am so angry with myself for stopping, No reason I stopped except mental reasons, Why is my head telling me to stop when my breathing, legs etc are fine? I can't get my head around the mental aspect of long runs? Don't know weather to attempt the run again or start back at W6D1. HELP!!!!!!!!:mad:

Week 9 Day 2 complete! one more day left :eek::eek:

oh very well done, im very jelaous! Have you managed this in nine weeks or have u repeated weeks? Just curious to know. If it took you the nine weeks, were u quite fit to start?

told you so cenedra, well done

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Quick query, I'm on week 3, just completed Day 2. I'm running every second day since I started the C25K program, which means I am doing 4 sessions a week. Is this too much? So far I have found it okay, but I know the program says not to be impatient and rush through it. Should I stick to the 3 workouts a week recommended??

Everyone is different, if you find it works for you then go for it.
    If your worried you might be overdoing it then just cut down to 3 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

W4 d2 done I found it really hard my head just wasnt in the game. I did complete it but at a slower pace than d1. My 3 old has been sick since Friday night temperature vomiting during the night bathing her had 5 in the morning so id say tiredness played a big factor in me finding it so hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Well done elsy. At least you still made the time for your run and completed it. Did W2 D2 myself last night.

As I am new to running I find this tread brilliant. Also found this video helpful regarding the basics of arms / head, etc, during running and noticed the differance last night when I tried implementing the advice. Hope others do too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2qsSuUGGrM&feature=related

Keep it going one and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Cabaal wrote: »
    Everyone is different, if you find it works for you then go for it.
    If your worried you might be overdoing it then just cut down to 3 a week.

Well unfortunately after posting above, I came down sick with what started as a bad cold, the last day I ran (wk 3 d2) was 24th Jan! Everyday I thought I would be better and would get back into the program, but no, I'm now on antibiotics after I developed a chest infection and have zero energy.

In hindsight, I feel I overdid it, should have stuck to the 3 days a week. I burned myself out.

Am fed up too, was dying to get back on the road last week, this week, I'm not so bothered, I just want to feel better again.

Not look for medical advice here, but would you experienced runners take another week off to fully recover b4 getting back into the program ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Wait until your chest is completely better. The usual rule of thumb with colds and illness is that anything above the neck is okay to run with, but if its below the neck you should wait.
    Then maybe go back to week 2, to ease yourself back into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

RayCun wrote: »
    Wait until your chest is completely better. The usual rule of thumb with colds and illness is that anything above the neck is okay to run with, but if its below the neck you should wait.
    Then maybe go back to week 2, to ease yourself back into it.

Thx 4 the advice, but back to week 2, seriously :(

Thx 4 the advice, but back to week 2, seriously :(

Its up to yourself. All the week 2runs are the same, right? So you could do one of the week 2 runs, and if it feels good do W3D1 next.

Wohoooo on a serious high right now, just finished week 4 run 1 and I did it, I actually did it.
    When I started this program I always said once I got to week four I would be happy to repeat a week then because there was no chance of gettin past week four.
    BUT look at me now, I did it, I did it, IIIIII did it! WHoop whooop whoooooppppp
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Ok sorry, I am home on my own and needed to share the joy with people who understand!

eefums - CONGRATULATIONS!!! am delighted for you....

Finished W2D2 myself.... found it easier than D1 ... am so happy i started this programme.... whatever the benefits around fitness and weight it really lifts my mood and for that alone it is worth it....:)

Ramette wrote: »
    eefums - CONGRATULATIONS!!! am delighted for you....

Finished W2D2 myself.... found it easier than D1 ... am so happy i started this programme.... whatever the benefits around fitness and weight it really lifts my mood and for that alone it is worth it....:)

Cheers Ram, was really delighted wtih myself. I keep surprising myself week on week. Glad you found ur run easier tonight, ig ur anything like me you will find your runs getting easier as the week goes on and at the end u will be thinking how next week sounds do-able!

• Advertisement

eefums wrote: »
    Wohoooo on a serious high right now, just finished week 4 run 1 and I did it, I actually did it.
    When I started this program I always said once I got to week four I would be happy to repeat a week then because there was no chance of gettin past week four.
    BUT look at me now, I did it, I did it, IIIIII did it! WHoop whooop whoooooppppp
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Ok sorry, I am home on my own and needed to share the joy with people who understand!
    well done im on w4 too and when I completed day 1 of it I rang my hubbie in work to tell him cause I was so excited id did it. When I first started I use to see posts from ppl w4 + and be like wow there doing so great there so far into it never thought id actually be one of them! Go us we are getting there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thelas

I started this as a new year's resolution at the start of the month. I am a Dub living in Melbourne at the moment, 28 and was relatively out of shape starting it. I am tracking my progress on this site.

My next run is the Week 5 Day 3, which has the first 20 minute straight run (the longest concentrated run up until now was 8 minutes) and I suppose this is the most daunting of all the runs in the programme.

Anyone doing this, i would wholeheartedly recommend the iphone app "C25k" which is superb. It has GPS features in it now too (you have to pay more for that though).

W4 d3 done such a hard week so next run onto w5 it will definitely take a few extra runs to get me to the 20 min run on d3 but I dont mind it takin longer as long as I get there in the end

Finished Week 9 day 3 today!!! Im officially finished!!

Seriously never thought I'd get this far so to everyone on this programme..... KEEP GOING!!! Its sooooo worth it!!!!

Good going. Now its time for you (and everyone else who'll be finishing in the next 6 weeks) to sign up for a race!

Good going. Now its time for you (and everyone else who'll be finishing in the next 6 weeks) to sign up for a race!

Thanks Raycun! I've been thinking about this for a while now :D

• Advertisement

wow congrats.... hope i get to post those same words someday soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Seriously never thought I'd get this far so to everyone on this programme..... KEEP GOING!!! Its sooooo worth it!!!!

Well done.........great work.......you're an inspiration to us all.

W3d3 done.........doing my runs on a beach and on last run hit strong winds head on and that made the run so much tougher.......had underestimated the effect of strong winds. Looking forward to w4d1.

Here's another 5k in Dublin, a little closer.

:cool::cool::cool:
    Wow seriously well done, fair play to you. A small question, are u actually running 5km now or 30 mins and a shorter distance? Just wondering if ur distance builds up as the weeks go on? I am on week 4 now and including my 5 min walk im just managing 3km?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Seriously fell off the running wagon! New job with erratic hours, but things seem to be getting a bit better. Starting today again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

anyone having trouble with knee pain...............mine are in bits and I am finding it hard to go out now. Have not been out since last wed night( a week goddam it)

I dont want to stop but it can get very uncomfortable!!

Any advice??

frAg

Get good shoes, run on grass, see a physio.

Well done to you all who are finishing the program or well into it. Delighted to see people keeping focused and getting there in the end.

I completed W3d2 today. It went well and I will run again Friday morning.

I too am still only covering about 3k in these runs, am wondering at whta week do you actually cover 5k. Could anybody who is further along shed some light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CeNedra wrote: »
    I too am still only covering about 3k in these runs, am wondering at whta week do you actually cover 5k. Could anybody who is further along shed some light?
    Back in the day when I did Couch to 5k, it would take me about 34-36 minutes to cover 5k in week 8-9. Just keep at it and you'll get faster.

Just signed up for the operation transformation 5k on 19th of Feb ill be on week 6 of the programme so will run some and walk some im actually really looking forward to it anyone else thinking of doing it.

elsy wrote: »
    Just signed up for the operation transformation 5k on 19th of Feb ill be on week 6 of the programme so will run some and walk some im actually really looking forward to it anyone else thinking of doing it.

Hey Elsy, I will be on week 6 that week too and signed up last night, figure I have to do a 25 min run anywya thatweek so why not push myself and see what its really like at that distance!
    I reckon Iw ill be walkin a lot of it tho!:D

I was thinking it would be a good one to start with people all shapes and sizes and fitness levels. It well help keep me motivated im starting w5 today this is the week ive been dreading but sure we'll see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've signed up for this too :eek:

I was thinking it would be a good one to start with people all shapes and sizes and fitness levels.

Most races do, to be honest. There are always a few people at the front who tear off at amazing speeds, and some people at the back who take the time to enjoy the scenery. There may be more of the latter in this race, but you shouldn't get the idea that the standard in other races is too high for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Get good shoes, run on grass, see a physio.

Cheers,

I have the good shoes(had gait done)

I try to run on grass but as I use Phoenix park for running and its usually dark I find it easier to run on the pavement as the grass is not too uneven in parts and as its dark I am afriad of spraining ankle in divet in grass. As soon as it gets brighter in the eves you wont get my of the grass I poromise ya!!

Hope to have physio next week.

Was thinking of joining gym also for swimming to build up strenght in leg. Has anyone tried this? Any advice?

Thanks again

frAg

• Advertisement
Advertisement