Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Couch to 5k thread

2456781

Comments



  • Only just found this thread now as I have been posting on the C25K thread in the food diary forum. Theres lots of people posting there too which is great.
    Im due to do Wk8D1 tomorrow! Can't believe I've only two weeks left!
    It really is a great programme!




  • Raycun,could you suggest a 5k for in and around paddys day??

    Last year there was a 5k in Dublin city centre on the Sunday before. I'm hoping it's on again, but I haven't seen confirmation yet. I'll post here if/when entries are open.




  • CeNedra wrote: »
    Is anybody doing c25k in a gym?

    I did most of the c25k on a treadmill in the gym. Running outside was a bit of a shock at first (the cold, wind, and rain!) but I quickly got to prefer it. Running in the gym can be very hot and sweaty but the air outside will keep you cooler. Plus you don't have to worry about your speed so much outside - you're not going to fall off if you slow down! - you can just run by feel.
    It saves a lot of time too, when you don't have to travel to and from the gym, just step out the door and run.




  • I started this week too - doing second run this evening!

    Finding it tough, but overdid it with a workout the day after the first run with too many squats and lunges and killed my legs! So took a days rest with just a 40min walk yesterday to try be ok for 2nd run today!

    Here's hoping.. :D




  • Hey I started this program on monday also,
    I found monday to be ok as i didnt think I could run for 60 seconds but I really surprised myself. Was feeling really ok on tuesday not sore at all so I thought I would do my second run then and try do 4 runs a week one also on Thursday and one on saturday. Yesterday I was in so much pain my legs were in bits so much so I am not sure how tonight will go.
    Do you think I am being overly optimistic with the 4 runs?
    I think next week I am jsut goin to do mon wed fri runs so I am not goin to be put off and give up?
    Are any of ye doing a diet with this also and using it to lose weight as well as get fit?


  • Advertisement


  • eefums wrote: »
    Do you think I am being overly optimistic with the 4 runs?
    I think next week I am jsut goin to do mon wed fri runs so I am not goin to be put off and give up?

    Yes, the best policy is to just stick to the plan and do three runs a week. Slow but steady progress will get you there, try to do too much and you might get hurt or discouraged. (Start missing runs and you might find yourself stopping completely)




  • eefums wrote: »
    Hey I started this program on monday also,
    I found monday to be ok as i didnt think I could run for 60 seconds but I really surprised myself. Was feeling really ok on tuesday not sore at all so I thought I would do my second run then and try do 4 runs a week one also on Thursday and one on saturday. Yesterday I was in so much pain my legs were in bits so much so I am not sure how tonight will go.
    Do you think I am being overly optimistic with the 4 runs?
    I think next week I am jsut goin to do mon wed fri runs so I am not goin to be put off and give up?
    Are any of ye doing a diet with this also and using it to lose weight as well as get fit?

    My reason - fitness & a new challenge for the New Year! Don't really need to lose weight apart from a few pounds, do need to tone up though, so hoping to do more yoga in a few weeks once I get more into the C25K plan. Don't ever diet but always try and eat sensibly and healthy.




  • CeNedra wrote: »
    Is anybody doing c25k in a gym? Or where do people run if the live in the sticks? I joined a gym and have started the program on a treadmill. Would prefer to be outside but figure I can do that in the summer. I just want to start before I give myself any more reasons not to. I am finding week 1 hard and am surprised and disappointed with how much I let my fitness go.

    "the sticks" :eek: :eek: :eek:




  • eefums wrote: »
    Hey I started this program on monday also,

    Do you think I am being overly optimistic with the 4 runs?

    I'm doing 4 per week at the moment, and am doing ok. But I'm just an impation SOAB. I think at our level and our shorter distances, I don't think we can do too much damage. (I HOPE!). I'd suggest do the 4 per week, but if you feel a niggling, take the extra day off and make sure its right before you carry on.

    Ray seems to know what he's talking about though and has given me good advice in the past, so maybe we should both be listening to him!:D




  • Ray seems to know what he's talking about though

    I have a whopping 15 months more experience than you guys:D


  • Advertisement


  • WHOPPING!!:D




  • Good run tonight. I am also doing some weights and lunges etc after the run. I felt better today than first day I ran. I am definitely starting this program for two reasons. I want to get my pre two babies figure back so diet features also. But I have always wanted to be a jogger so I am going for it. I used to go to gym right up to 4 weeks prior to birth of first baby and then I just stopped. I had a second soon after the first, a bit of a distraction.:D

    To say I have a bit of a task ahead of me is an understatement. But I have to say I am noticeably more upbeat and energetic since I started back in the gym. I wish I had not let having kids stop me going before and am buzzed doing this for myself.




  • Week 8 Day 1 completed :D first 28 min run Ive ever ran !!




  • Week 8 Day 1 completed :D first 28 min run Ive ever ran !!

    Congrats! You should feel so proud!

    I just did Week 1 Day 2 :D




  • Ray, nice one on setting this up.

    Best of luck to everyone doing this program; it's how I started my running over a year ago and haven't looked back since...i'm now addicted to running :).




  • Week 1 day three just done.

    Def the hardest but glad its done

    heres to monday night, week 2 day 1 here I come

    frAg




  • Twee. wrote: »
    Congrats! You should feel so proud!

    I just did Week 1 Day 2 :D
    Thanks twee! I definitely am proud! I took on a whole new healthy lifestyle attitude in october and started my running early november I think? (im too lazy to work out my weeks lol) and I swear I havent looked back once!

    I always say if I can do it anyone can! I was ridiculously unfit at the start!! I skipped about 2 weeks because of the snow but thank god got right back on the horse after the snow and actually kept the running during the secound snowfall.

    To everyone here just starting off, its unreal how quick the weeks fly by and this programme really is great because it pushes you gently, further than you would push yourself.

    So many success stories here on boards with this programme so its gotta be good :D

    Hope everyone enjoys their weekends and get some lovely runs in :D




  • C25k wk 1 day 2 done. I think I might do two more of these before moving on to wk2. I am not running fast but it's a comfortable pace for me. Enjoying this so far and will try to get out again tomorrow.




  • Ive just started this too like you CeNedra having 2 babies within 2 and half years has taking its toll on the owl figure. Mumontherun can I ask where you got the cuffed tracksuit bottoms ive been looking for these and can only find mens. Goodluck everyone hopefully by the summer we'll all be well able for nice summer evening runs!




  • elsy wrote: »
    Ive just started this too like you CeNedra having 2 babies within 2 and half years has taking its toll on the owl figure. Mumontherun can I ask where you got the cuffed tracksuit bottoms ive been looking for these and can only find mens. Goodluck everyone hopefully by the summer we'll all be well able for nice summer evening runs!

    I spotted some ladies ones in Dunnes yesterday :)


  • Advertisement


  • Week 8 Day 2 complete :D




  • Timeforachange that is fantastic. Week 8!!!! That seems a million miles away for me. I completed week 1 today but as I am still finding it hard I am going to repeat another day of week one. Finding it hard to face 90 sec running!!

    Fair play to you!!!!




  • CeNedra wrote: »
    Timeforachange that is fantastic. Week 8!!!! That seems a million miles away for me. I completed week 1 today but as I am still finding it hard I am going to repeat another day of week one. Finding it hard to face 90 sec running!!

    Fair play to you!!!!

    Thanks so much CeNedra!

    Trust me I was the exact same as you when I started! I have a food diary over in the nutrition and diet forum and after my first run I came back and wrote in my diary about how awful it was! I never thought I'd get week one done to be honest! I did week one 4 days and then somebody on here told me to go on to week 2 even though I hadn't planned to because they said to trust the programme and let it push you and I did and I haven't looked back since!

    Do whatever feels comfortable for you, but definitely believe in yourself. I guarantee you if I can do it you definitely can too! I started off with zero fitness and heavily overweight but in a matter of a few months things have changed so much for me and are continuing to change! So keep up the good work :D




  • Hi
    just wanted to say I done the C25k in August and ran the Aware 10k yesterday! Keep it up everyone, its great to done and keep running after it!.




  • Yo Yo dieter Number 1 would like to know what age you all are - this sounds great and I could start tomorrow but I'm nearly 50 - yes or no?




  • torregolf wrote: »
    Yo Yo dieter Number 1 would like to know what age you all are - this sounds great and I could start tomorrow but I'm nearly 50 - yes or no?

    Nearly 50 shouldn't stop you....yes start tomorrow....start at week 1,day 1 and take if from there. Nearly 46 here just did w2d1 this afternoon.




  • CeNedra wrote: »
    C25k wk 1 day 2 done. I think I might do two more of these before moving on to wk2. I am not running fast but it's a comfortable pace for me. Enjoying this so far and will try to get out again tomorrow.

    It's not about speed, it's about time on your feet in motion. Take it nice and slowly, once you've gotten distance in the bag you can work on speed then.

    Don't feel under pressure to move through the weeks either, softly softly will get you where you want to be, when you get there you'll wonder why you hadn't started sooner;)




  • torregolf wrote: »
    Yo Yo dieter Number 1 would like to know what age you all are - this sounds great and I could start tomorrow but I'm nearly 50 - yes or no?


    Age is just a number, who cares that your 50 yrs young......................just get out and enjoy yourself

    Im 31 and thought I had left it too long to get out and do it. Im starting week 2 day one this eve................bring on the pain!!

    frAg

    Edit. ok there aint that much pain, dont want to scare anyone of this!!




  • I started running last April having not done any (and I mean any) excercise in over 15 years! I completed the Dublin City Marathon last October in 4:15:20.

    With regard to the 50 year old poster, I ran 10 miles yesterday with a 56 year old man who started running 3 years ago and has completed 2 marathons since!

    Get stuck in, improvements come in leaps!


  • Advertisement


  • So w2 d2 done! I slowed down the treadmill a little and it was grand no feeling sick even ran 2 mins for the last interval feel great now actually looking forward to day 3.


Advertisement