Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the disregard of Sinn Féin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

maccored wrote: »
    sf is about the people in it and the general man/woman on the street. im afraid your bias against sinn fein, doesnt mean you have a valid point.
    Your entitled to your vote and view on them. That is MY view on them and what i think they stand for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

im not in any way denying we all have a right to our views. i just cant take yours as fact, since its incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Well they do hate the way of British life. British culture, British people, people in Ulster who are British. The British Army etc.

In fairness Keith, the British Government work with Sinn Fein, so do the DUP. Britain is our neighbour and will always be important to our island as for hating British people and their way of life, that would be like hating ourselves, millions of Irish live there and the reality is we have the same type of democracy, law, language, economies etc

im not in any way denying we all have a right to our views. i just cant take yours as fact, since its incorrect.
    In your opinion it is incorrect. The past shows me it isn't incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

mickdw wrote: »
    And to hear g adams refuse to condemn Gerry McCabes killers/killing when confronted by his wife was just sickening. I wouldnt vote for them under any circumstances
    His name was actually Jerry McCabe. So many people take an interest in this mans life yet they cant even spell his name properly which means theyve obviously never paid much attention to the case and use it as their one stick to bring up on every thread about Sinn Fein.
    Gerry Adams as president of Sinn Fein isn't the man to condemn the killing.
    The robbery in question was organised at local level by PIRA members which is why the Army Council initially denied involvment as they knew nothing about it. The facts as I understand them was that McCabe and O'Sullivan were held at gunpoint while the robbery was in progress, and McCabe tried to obtain his machine gun from the back seat of the car while there was a gun been pointed at him. You can either be a dead hero or an alive coward and unfortunately for McCabe and his family he choose to be the dead hero and place his life above a few thousand pounds. This doesnt excuse the robbery but McCabe did throw a gauntlet down to the men who had the gun pointed at him.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    In fairness Keith, the British Government work with Sinn Fein, so do the DUP. Britain is our neighbour and will always be important to our island as for hating British people and their way of life, that would be like hating ourselves, millions of Irish live there and the reality is we have the same type of democracy, law, language, economies etc
    I have always made the argument on here that actions speak louder than words. When Sinn Fein start to care for the normal British person on the street in Ulster and that culture, then i will have a bit more respect for them as a party. Due to certain members in that party, i don't think that will be happening any time soon.

I have always made the argument on here that actions speak louder than words. When Sinn Fein start to care for the normal British person on the street in Ulster and that culture, then i will have a bit more respect for them as a party. Due to certain members in that party, i don't think that will be happening any time soon.
    Sinn Fein aren't a secterian political party like the openly bigoted DUP. How can we respecet a culture that insists on every July marching through nationalist areas in a triumphists manor as to cause trouble. The July marches could be settled like grown ups if the orange order weren't so intent on causing flashpoints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Dotsey wrote: »
    You can either be a dead hero or an alive coward and unfortunately for McCabe and his family he choose to be the dead hero and place his life above a few thousand pounds. This doesnt excuse the robbery but McCabe did throw a gauntlet down to the men who had the gun pointed at him.

Despicable post.

No mention of the gauntlet thrown down by the criminal thugs when they chose to engage someone who had sworn to uphold law & order on our behalf.

If he'd let them away with the cash then we'd have people claiming that he didn't do his job.

In your opinion it is incorrect. The past shows me it isn't incorrect.

i suggest you stop living in the past then?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Despicable post.

No mention of the gauntlet thrown down by the criminal thugs when they chose to engage someone who had sworn to uphold law & order on our behalf.

If he'd let them away with the cash then we'd have people claiming that he didn't do his job.
    I don't think so. Sometimes its better to sit on hands and live for another day. There's nothing despicable about the post, its the truth about what happened whether you like it or not. McCabe shouldve used his training to realise he was in a no-win situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

His name was actually Jerry McCabe. So many people take an interest in this mans life yet they cant even spell his name properly which means theyve obviously never paid much attention to the case and use it as their one stick to bring up on every thread about Sinn Fein.
    Gerry Adams as president of Sinn Fein isn't the man to condemn the killing.
    The robbery in question was organised at local level by PIRA members which is why the Army Council initially denied involvment as they knew nothing about it. The facts as I understand them was that McCabe and O'Sullivan were held at gunpoint while the robbery was in progress, and McCabe tried to obtain his machine gun from the back seat of the car while there was a gun been pointed at him. You can either be a dead hero or an alive coward and unfortunately for McCabe and his family he choose to be the dead hero and place his life above a few thousand pounds. This doesnt excuse the robbery but McCabe did throw a gauntlet down to the men who had the gun pointed at him.

This post shows the lowest of the low of republicanism.

i suggest you stop living in the past then?
    How is it living in the past? Its just my view on Sinn Fein and what i think they are all about. Until a big member change happens, i don't think my view on them will ever change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

You can either be a dead hero or an alive coward and unfortunately for McCabe and his family he choose to be the dead hero and place his life above a few thousand pounds.
    Vile post. Would you make the same point about the victims of bloody Sunday? That they could have just stayed at home instead of being brave and going out looking for civil rights?

At least such posts allow people to see the darkness at the heart of republicanism.

How is it living in the past?

well, because you said "The past shows me it isn't incorrect"
    Its just my view on Sinn Fein and what i think they are all about. Until a big member change happens, i don't think my view on them will ever change.

as i said before, we're all entitled to our views.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That is the most disgusting post I have ever seen on boards, you should be ashamed of trying to justify the murder of a garda. I suppose you and SF/IRA would prefer us all to be 'alive cowards' and refuse to stand up to them? If they dare set foot on my doorstep they'll be asked how on earth they can claim to justify this sort of vile crime.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

well, because you said "The past shows me it isn't incorrect"

as i said before, we're all entitled to our views.
    Yes, i said on based on the view i have on them on what i think they are about.

I don't think so. Sometimes its better to sit on hands and live for another day. There's nothing despicable about the post, its the truth about what happened whether you like it or not. McCabe shouldve used his training to realise he was in a no-win situation

So if you're being beaten up by a gang of 6 people should a Garda realise that it's no-win and let them at it ?

and i say more power to ye keith! Honestly.

So if you're being beaten up by a gang of 6 people should a Garda realise that it's no-win and let them at it ?

the RUC were great at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I am not going to warn posters again about the rules of this forum.

Read the charter, understand it, if anything confuses you, PM me and I'll explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Sinn Fein don't apply the same rules to themselves. If they did mr dotsey would be suggesting that all the people who died at the hands of the britsh chose to die and the British couldn't be blamed for any atrocity.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    As usual, one post about McCabe and suddenly every Republican and SF supporter is responsible for pulling the trigger.
    No they are not. But like anybody who is loyal to the state they should give their unconditional support to those that risk their lives to protect the state. And they certainly should not be suggesting that it was Jerry McCabe's own fault. Truly despicable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

lugha wrote: »
    No they are not. But like anybody who is loyal to the state they should give their unconditional support to those that risk their lives to protect the state. And they certainly should not be suggesting that it was Jerry McCabe's own fault. Truly despicable.
    Well, yes they are. Rogue IRA elements are no more accountable to Sinn Fein than AIB thieves are to their Fianna Fail buddies, are they? SF is much bigger now than those McCabe/terrorism issues, and there's an amazing number of people assuming complete homogeneity in the party.

Well, yes they are. Rogue IRA elements are no more accountable to Sinn Fein than AIB thieves are to their Fianna Fail buddies, are they? SF is much bigger now than those McCabe/terrorism issues, and there's an amazing number of people assuming complete homogeneity in the party.

This would be a valid point were it not for Adams' & the Ferris' stance on the murder.

Which - thankfully - gets us back on-topic as to why SF are objected to by many; it's a valid reason.

Well if they are rogue elements then it should be all the easier for Sinn Fein to distant themselves from their actions.
    The McCabe issue won't go away, not because everyone suspects that all republicans endorse what happens, but because SF don't properly condemn it.

And this is very relevant and not just a Sinn Fein beating stick. Anyone who claims to recognize and support the state must give their full allegiances to that state and in particular, to the men and women who defend it. It is absolutely perverse to claim loyalty to the state but be unable to condemn the murder of a policeman who was protecting it.
    And this is as Liam says, a reason why many people will discount SF at the ballot box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

As with most parties, it's a compromise. In this case I have to weigh up the 50 billion of our money being given away by thieves to German banks against a murdered garda.
    Right now I feel selling Ireland down the swanny for generations is a bigger concern unfortunately. It'd be nice if there was an alternative but there isn't.

As with most parties, it's a compromise. In this case I have to weigh up the 50 billion of our money being given away by thieves to German banks against a murdered garda.
    Right now I feel selling Ireland down the swanny for generations is a bigger concern unfortunately. It'd be nice if there was an alternative but there isn't.

Why isn't there?

FF support people who take money that isn't theirs
    SF support other people who take money that isn't theirs

There are parties other than those two.

So i'm the lowest of the low of republicanism for explaining why something happened regardless of the circumstances? Some people on these boards just dont understand at all.
    Every single thread on Sinn Fein on here is littered with the same comments and brought back to past IRA actions by the same five or six posters talking nonsense. You know nothing about recent Irish history or the troubles. You're ignorant of the enormous amount of work Sinn Fein and other parties have put into conflict resolution and putting an end to this chapter in Irish history and allowing us to move on peacefully toward Irish unity.
    You mention nothing about electoral policy or anything just the fact that certain tabloid jounalists have labelled them "economically illiterate" so of course they must be.
    Have you ever wondered why the IRA was formed? Maybe its got something to do with the reign of tyranny and oppressivness nature, cruelty and greed of a neighbouring country and the countless crimes theyve committed over centuries on this island.
    The mainstream Republican movement has moved on yet some people cant drop their obsession with the IRA.

lugha wrote: »
    Well if they are rogue elements then it should be all the easier for Sinn Fein to distant themselves from their actions.
    The McCabe issue won't go away, not because everyone suspects that all republicans endorse what happens, but because SF don't properly condemn it.

And this is very relevant and not just a Sinn Fein beating stick. Anyone who claims to recognize and support the state must give their full allegiances to that state and in particular, to the men and women who defend it. It is absolutely perverse to claim loyalty to the state but be unable to condemn the murder of a policeman who was protecting it.
    And this is as Liam says, a reason why many people will discount SF at the ballot box.
    I don't see why SF could and will not condemn it. Didn't this happen in 1996? Wasn't the process towards peace just starting around that time, if not earlier.

Why can't they condemn it? Iv never understood this case enough. Perhaps i should look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Pat D. Almighty

It's a sad reflection of our education system when people still bring up the Sinn Féin and the blood on their hands issue.
    Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, and even Labour have some elements of a bloody and violent past. And yes, it's fair to say that Sinn Fein and Labour are the only parties who still have elements of the violent past in leading positions within the party, but what is the difference?
    Most people say "ah that was years ago, that was different".
    The Sinn Fein/IRA of the early 1900s was set up to remove British rule from Ireland.
    The Sinn Fein/IRA we know of that evolved in the late 60s was rejuvenated to removed the remaining element of British rule from Ireland, the remaining element of British rule that Fine Gael signed away and Fianna Fail failed to act upon.
    Sinn Fein get a hard time for being too hardline and too republican (what ever that means) but one just has to look at the splinter groups that came from Sinn Fein.
    Republican Sinn Fein/CIRA, still refuse to take seats in the Republic and the Northern Assembly. They also refuse to condemn the murder of British soldiers in recent years.
    32 CSM/RIRA, responsible for the Omagh bomb and various other murders.

Sinn Fein deserve at lease some credit for biting the bullet (pardon the pun) and removing the violence from their agenda, and concentrating on peaceful methods. What more do they have to do to win the support of narrow minded revisionists and nay-sayers?
    Removed the name Sinn Fein and replace it with something elese? We already have that, and it's called the leadership of the Labour Party.

Advertisement