Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Started this on Tuesday & did W1D2 today. My legs were a little sore after Day 1 but I definitely found Day 2 easier. Hoping to finally get fit after planning on it (but doing feck all) for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

To edit the table -
    Quote the most up-to-date post containing a table
    Remove the {QUOTE} tags at the beginning and end of the post
    Replace one of the (name) bits with your name
    Fill in the number of runs you have done in each week of the programme
    (if you are repeating a week, keep increasing the runs in that week instead of entering runs in the next week)
    Don't delete these instructions when you edit the post

Name|Week1|Week2|W3|W4|W5|W6|W7|W8|W9|W10
    (name)|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

well done you Elsy!

I've just completed Week 2 Day 3 also, and found it good. Somedays my legs are so heavy and I find the last 2 runs the hardest, but today I felt good, hopefully it will last into week 3. Bring it on. I'm loving it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vic20

Great advice! I think Im definitely going to try keep up my 30 min runs a week because they can always be fit in. I'll hopefully try to get them longer and maybe get to a point where I have one run a week thats much longer but I guess thats a few months away at least lol Thanks for the advice :)

Here's more options:
    http://mindplunge.com/c25k/one-hour-runner.html
    http://www.halhigdon.com/spring/Springnovice.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

To edit the table -
    (if you are repeating a week, keep increasing the runs in that week instead of entering runs in the next week)

(BrianJD)|1|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0
    [/Table][/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

To edit the table -
    Don't go near the {Table} tags

BrianJD|1|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭moonbug33

Just started c25k.....my first couple of runs were without the c25k programme and just ran as long as I could and then walked before running again. These first 2 runs went well and so when I got the c25k download I went straight to week 3........this of course was too ambitious and the 3 min run in the middle did me in. I wasn’t as fit as I thought and so went to week 2 which I have just completed........week 2 was good and I felt fine after the runs, however I suspect I am running too fast and so when I go to w3d1 on Saturday I aim to slow my running as I am still not convinced I can do 3 min run. Its great to get out and run/walk and my 2nd run this week was wonderful on a beach with full moon and clear sky........so glad I have started and I would encourage others to just start if they are still thinking about it. Things I have learnt so far are.......don’t run too fast......stretch before and after runs........don't skip weeks or runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭messynessie

I am planning on starting this today. Joined the gym yesterday and went for a 30min power walk on the treadmills just to get my bearings there. I'll be doing it predominantly on the treadmills and then starting alternating with road running once I'm able to run comfortably for 30 minutes so I'm not a heaving red mess on the streets lol :)
    I have a few questions before I start any help would be appreciated! :)
    I'm going to do W1D1 tonight but next time I can make it back to the gym will probably be Monday due to previous commitments for the weekend. Would I be better off doing W1D1 twice rather than having so long between my first two runs and just take today as a practice go at it?
    Also I do tend to walk quite quickly, should I be walking very slowly during the walking intervals so I don't end up pushing myself too hard and not beeing able to run then?
    I know these might seem like really stupid questions but I really am in the dark with running lol :)

Friday to Monday isn't a huge gap, so you could do W1D1 today and W1D2 on Monday. If you're running three days a week then you're going to have a two day gap between runs at some point anyway.
    But if you want to start 'properly' on Monday so each week is Mon/Wednes/Friday, there's no harm in that either.

Whether you're talking about walking speed or running speed, the key point is the same - go at a speed that will allow you to complete the session. If your normal walking speed is too fast to let you recover from your running intervals - slow down. If you're happy walking at your normal speed and can do all your running intervals - great, continue like that. You really have to try it out for yourself.

Thanks for the help :) I'm excited to get started now! Made sure to bring my gym bag to work with me and all so I have no excuse not to go after work now!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I just thought I'd mention that running indoors and outdoors is very different especially threadmill running. I've always found that running on a threadmill is far easier than running outide so I'd recommend that you treat this programme as an outdoor one. I'd at least try and do one of your sessions each week outdoors.

If you really can't do any sessions outdoors then I'd make use of the incline function on your threadmill to try and make the runs a bit more intense than simply running on level ground for 20-30 minutes.

If you do the whole programme on a threadmill and then go outside for a run you'll be in for a nasty surprise!

I agree, if you're running on a treadmill you should set the incline to about 2%.
    (but I find running outdoors to be much easier)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

I find outdoor running much easier too I think its the freshair and change of scenery. However with having 2 babies and a husband that does shift work most of my runs on a treadmill. Anyways w3 d1 done went grand im feeling like ive so much more energy really enjoying the programme so far.

well done you Elsy!

I've just completed Week 2 Day 3 also, and found it good. Somedays my legs are so heavy and I find the last 2 runs the hardest, but today I felt good, hopefully it will last into week 3. Bring it on. I'm loving it.......

I do get the heavy legs too but its so worth it when your finished your run it does have me feeling good for the rest of the day :)

I'm planning on getting started with the treadmill first and then when the weather gets better and brighter i'll feel more comfortable running outside for at least part of the plan. At the moment I've been trying to get myself motivated to start this programme for a good few months so i figure for the time being at least that the treadmill is a step in the right direction as it'll get me moving. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

After missing a day this week due to a bug I picked up I am happy to say I finished wk 1 yesterday. I am a working mother and only get time to run late in evenings. As I live in a rural area, I joined a gym and am running on a threadmill. I ran outside once and will try for an outside run at the weekends. Early days but we will see how it goes. With being ill I took the grand total of 2 weeks to do 1 week of the program. I still feel ok about that though. I have enough stress in my life with busy job and two pre schoolers so this isn't a rush for me. would love to think this is my new lifestyle where I get some time to get fit.

Well said Cenedra ive 2 young children too 3 and 5 months and I dont care if it takes me a year to finish this I just want to be fit for my babies and set a good example. Fair play to you seriously going the gym after a day in work and looking after 2 children. Well done on finishing w1

W1D1 down :)
    Not as bad as I was expecting, maybe I could have pushed myself a little harder but didn't want to fall in a heap walking home! I had walked from work to the gym (25 min) before hand so by the end of my session my legs were fit to fall off but can't wait for day 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

[HTML][/HTML]
    CeNedra wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML] I have enough stress in my life with busy job and two pre schoolers so this isn't a rush for me. would love to think this is my new lifestyle where I get some time to get fit.

I agree, it is great to get something for yourself and to set a good example to yourself. But it is also important that it doesn't become something else that adds stress to your life. I have 3 kids and am working also and I try to plan my week in advance so I can get my runs in. If I can only get 20 mins then thats what I do!
    On flip side running is the best stress reducing activity I have found...nothing like it to make you a better mum, colleague, partner etc etc. :)
    Great to see so many people keeping up c25k...I can promise you will never regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭CeNedra

I finished week 2 day 1. Feeling great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Week8D3 complete today. Finally have week 8 finished! Can't wait to get cracking on week 9 now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Great Thread RayCun - good to get the benefit of the experiences of those that have completed or are advanced in the program. Cheers for that.

I finished Week 1 last night and my wife started it. (Both Mid-40s'). I found week 1 surprisingly easy considering that I'm a heavy smoker and have put on 2 stone in the past 2 years. Mrs found it tough enough but got through it ok, albeit running a bit slower than my comfort level.

Question I have; I'm basically 2 runs ahead of her and our days will now go out of sync. She's due out tomorrow, W1D2 and I'm due out for W2D1 on Monday. Would it make sense or be stupid for me to go along with her as well as do my own - and as such do both programs simultaneously - or just bring us into sync and go together?
    The thing is that I found last night a bit too easy at the slower pace but she won't venture out herself alone at night. Basically, would keeping her company do me more harm through overdoing it or make little or no difference. I had intended on sticking rigidly to the program at my pace but that's possibly gone out the window now...

Hope that makes sense to somebody!!

I'd say you're better off just doing her programme with her, trying to do both will wear you out pretty quickly. Maybe you could do a run at your own pace on the weekend, when she can run in daylight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Just finished D1W1 - found it tough, lungs and shins were complaining. :( Great this thread is here to motivate me. My aim is to be able to run 30 mins by my 42nd birthday in April and also to do the mini marathon in under an hour...
    Have never liked exercise but want to get fit and lose weight so decided to give this a go.
    I have an iphone, have the 'get running' app which talks to you (obviously i have issues as i feel yer woman is talking in a very smug voice as i struggle along!) - i would like an app that allows you to play your own playlists in between the talking - can anyone recommend an app? thanks..
    and congrats to all who are well on their way.. yea are an inspiration...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

RayCun wrote: »
    I'd say you're better off just doing her programme with her, trying to do both will wear you out pretty quickly. Maybe you could do a run at your own pace on the weekend, when she can run in daylight?

I was thinking that too, prob lose enthusiasm as well if I was overdoing it.

Settled on a compromise, going to sync the runs towards the end of this week and go to a different place to do so. The Lough (Cork City) has a circular path around it so we can both do our own thing but won't be too far away from each other. She really doen't like going out alone!!! We both work as well and work every second weekend so late evenings are really the only time that we're off together.

Thanks Again..

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

I finished week one today!

I've ran/walked 3.44 km in 30 mins =D

I'm on a treadmill at the gym, my first 2 runs were at 1% incline. I forgot to press that button today so shall aim to match my speed/distance at my next run on Tuesday.

2% incline feels like running up a hill. So I think I'll stick to 1% for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Im at week 6 run 2 tommorrow, Found the 20 min run at w5 r3 really hard mentally, Cant believe I completed it, I felt really proud of myself at the end.

My head kept telly me to stop, and I kept telling it there was no reason to stop as my body and breathing were okay. It was a real mental challenge to keep going.

Just to warn other people to stay focused when doing it, Dont let your mind tell you to stop when your body is ok to keep going.

As for the 2% incline, I have done all of my runs on the treadmill at 0% incline, Last night I tried 2% incline and nearly crashed and burned on my first 8 min run, My advice to people would be if you started at 0% incline, Don't change it now, stick to the programme you started, It is better to be able to complete the couch to 5k at 0% incline than to crash and burn and end up quitting the programme.
    If you are just about to start the couch to 5k, then you can start at 2% incline.

W3 d3 done and feeling good. I have also lost 8lbs in 2 weeks through eating healthy and my 3 runs a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mumontherun

Quick query, I'm on week 3, just completed Day 2. I'm running every second day since I started the C25K program, which means I am doing 4 sessions a week. Is this too much? So far I have found it okay, but I know the program says not to be impatient and rush through it. Should I stick to the 3 workouts a week recommended??

• Advertisement

Every second day should be fine, as long as you're not pushing pressure on yourself to finish faster, and missing out on recovery when you need it
    The main thing is to take your rest days when you need them. But one rest day for every day of running could be plenty.

Advertisement