Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling + Penalty Points

Options
  • 05-01-2011 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Right so I've just been done by a bike cop for cycling down a one way street - up in court over it would you believe - a fine is inevitable I suppose but does anyone know what the deal is with penalty points - can they hit cyclists with them?? Would seem unfair I think because if I didn't have a licence it wouldn't be possible - thoughts???

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well, you were in breach of the road traffic act. I think it's a joke that if you didn't have a licence you'd get off with a fine.

Remember kids. Follow the rules of the road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Oasis44 wrote: »
    up in court over it would you believe

I would
    adoes anyone know what the deal is with penalty points - can they hit cyclists with them??

You won't get penalty points. They are only levied for motoring offences at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You wouldn't be getting away with anything if you didn't have a licence- any points applied would be waiting for you when you do get one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think sympathy here is going to be thin. Cyclists breaking the rules of the road gives the rest of us a bad name (not that I'm totally innocent either).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I think sympathy here is going to be thin. Cyclists breaking the rules of the road gives the rest of us a bad name (not that I'm totally innocent either).

+1 for he no sympathy. The amount of cyclists I see day in day out breaking lights, going wrong way up one way streets etc is rediculous so its nice to see the cops actually tackling the issue at last. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Right so I've just been done by a bike cop for cycling down a one way street - up in court over it would you believe - a fine is inevitable I suppose but does anyone know what the deal is with penalty points - can they hit cyclists with them?? Would seem unfair I think because if I didn't have a licence it wouldn't be possible - thoughts???

You wont get penalty points just a fine which you deserve. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Dublin Bike by any chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

There was a story in the media a few months ago - A guy went through a red light on his bike (bicycle, definitely, not motorbike) and went through a windscreen of a car. The judge did something to his licence even though he hadn't been in a car at the time - He either suspended it or added penalty points. It was either Dublin or the UK.

Sorry about the hazy recall - I tried googling for details but I can't find it.

Edit:Ah, here we go. Link to story

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/injured-cyclist-gets-driving-ban-for-breaking-red-light-2228117.html

Here's an extract:
    Robert Pierse, the author of Road Traffic Law in Ireland, which is now in its fourth edition ..... said the judge was perfectly entitled to impose a driving ban for a cycling offence.

Mr Pierse added: "It is highly unusual but legal. ......

Mr Pierse.. said that he had not come across any previous cases where a cycling offence led to a driving ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

blobbie wrote: »
    Dublin Bike by any chance ?

Yes afraid so - no it's fair enough getting pulled for it I did wrong and to be honest I deserve a fine cause I've been using one way streets for ages and it's dangerous for motorists and cyclists - glad to hear I won't be getting penalty points though!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP lets us know how you get on in the end,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

whats next pedestrians gettin penalty points when jumpin the red man...then upon consistent re-offence...

"you have been banned from walking on footpaths for 2 years"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hi OP,

Assuming you went the wrong way down the one way street......

First - you won't get penalty points, because in all seriousness you don't deserve them.

Second - you won't get sympathy :) You might have got some sympathy except for the fact you were on a DB. Sorry, but a lot of DB'ers are giving everyone a bad name. Today while stopped (on my bike) at the junction of Talbot and Gardiner Streets, 3 DB'ers broke the lights heading towards O'Connell Street; 1 came the wrong down Talbot Street breaking the lights and another came along the footpad.

It's a great scheme that's getting a bad name because of such idiocy.

Anyway, good luck. I think the best advice is to go and plead guilty and apologise.

Sungodbr wrote: »
    whats next pedestrians gettin penalty points when jumpin the red man...then upon consistent re-offence...

"you have been banned from walking on footpaths for 2 years"

What about jumping the red woman? (NSFW)

By the way, is the "g" broken on your keyboard?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭Sungodbr

Jawgap wrote: »

By the way, is the "g" broken on your keyboard?

ye its hit and miss, works 50% of the time, that burnin"g" man festival is deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

up in court over it would you believe

Down with this sort of thing.

A policeman doing his job indeed. What next?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Down with this sort of thing.

A policeman doing his job indeed. What next?

He should have been out catching real criminals :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

i guess Dublin, there be no sympathy since there are many cyclists but in a town where there is probably only a one or two streets only one way then pile on the sympathy.

But local guards wouldnt have time i guess for such small cases. But now on i will make sure to follow the rules of the road. ill try anyway.. its a start

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

The footpad,im sure that reminds of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No sympathy for the cyclist in Dublin city????

Is right.

The cyclist is about as welcome in Dublin as a fart in a spacesuit.

I have sympathy for you my friend. I hope you get a judge who has actually tried cycling in Dublin, and that he shakes your hand, sends you on your way, gives the guard a bollicking and tells him to start ticketing cars parked on bicycle lanes, and pulling over and fining aggressive motorists who take out their pent up frustration on vulnerable road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

fat bloke wrote: »

Is right.

I have sympathy for you my friend. I hope you get a judge who has actually tried cycling in Dublin, and that he shakes your hand, sends you on your way, gives the guard a bollicking and tells him to start ticketing cars parked on bicycle lanes, and pulling over and fining aggressive motorists who take out their pent up frustration on vulnerable road users.

Just because other road users are flouting the law does not give cyclists license to do the same. I agree that the odds are stacked against the cyclist, but that doesn't mean that they should lower themselves to the level of other road users.

• Advertisement

Is right.

OP has a driving license, so s/he has studied the rules of the road and will know them. I don't like the attitude of a lot of cyclists who feel the law doesn't apply to them. The OP realises that it was wrong but is worried about penalty points, which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

To each his own.

Personally I find it infinitely safer to jump lights (safely - yes it's possible), and have some clear road, rather than be continuously hemmed by oblivious motorists.

Anyone who's tried negotiating their way across a few lanes of traffic to get into a right turning lane should have an appreciation of the point - eg. coming from Harold's cross up to Christ church junction - the bike lane is all the way over to the left, you have to cross three lanes of traffic to get into the right turning lane. Try it on a bike in traffic and you just get abused, beeped at and right and left hooked.

As far as I'm concerned there are two rules on a bike on the city streets - self-assertion, and self preservation. I wouldn't personally cycle the wrong way down a one-way street but I do deliberately make myself a fly in the ointment. Make your presence known, take up your space in the road when you need to, and don't take any sh1t from motorists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone who's tried negotiating their way across a few lanes of traffic to get into a right turning lane should have an appreciation of the point - eg. coming from Harold's cross up to Christ church junction - the bike lane is all the way over to the left, you have to cross three lanes of traffic to get into the right turning lane. Try it on a bike in traffic and you just get abused, beeped at and right and left hooked.

I do it all the time and rarely have a problem. Indicate across the lane in enough time to merge and move across each lane. Admittedly you might occasionally get hassle but to be fair that occurs regardless of what vehicle you are in.

The only way this causes a problem on a daily basis is if you are genuinely incapable of operating a vehicle on the road safely. if this is the case, you should either stop cycling or stop at the pedestrian crossing, dismount and walk across the junction.

Regardless of this, the OP mentioned a one way street, not how difficult cycling in Dublin and whether or not that is an excuse and has admitted fault. He knows he made a mistake and seems genuine about not repeating it, in this respect I hope he gets no more than a fine, their purpose being to teach you a lesson, if he learned it, job done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To each his own.

Personally I find it infinitely safer to jump lights (safely - yes it's possible), and have some clear road, rather than be continuously hemmed by oblivious motorists.

Yeah this works fine and its perfectly safe, I do it all the time in my car
    :rolleyes: (not)

As far as I'm concerned there are two rules on a bike on the city streets - self-assertion, and self preservation.

Yes but neither which means you can break the law, there's plenty of ways you can keep yourself safe and assert yourself on the road without breaking the law.

I wouldn't personally cycle the wrong way down a one-way street but I do deliberately make myself a fly in the ointment. Make your presence known, take up your space in the road when you need to, and don't take any sh1t from motorists.

Why wouldn't you cycle the wrong way down a one way, is it because it breaks the law? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

To each his own.

You can get clear road without jumping lights by going into the middle of the leftmost lane just in front of the traffic. Then keep an eye on the light patterns and get ready to go. Bikes can pull away faster than cars so you'll have a few seconds headstart.

Darwin

Is right.

I don't think that's entirely true - Dublin ain't exactly Copenhagen or Amsterdam but it's not exactly Mogadishu either. I think the city is fine for cycling in. Yes, it could be a lot better, but it is improving.

The OP did something a bit silly, a bit selfish and - depending on the road in question - potentially dangerous. Hopefully he gets a fair judge who deals with the matter quickly and professionally.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I don't think that's entirely true - Dublin ain't exactly Copenhagen or Amsterdam but it's not exactly Mogadishu either.

No, you need to come out into North County Dublin for that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Hi OP,

Second - you won't get sympathy :) You might have got some sympathy except for the fact you were on a DB. Sorry, but a lot of DB'ers are giving everyone a bad name. .................

Why don't I feel tainted by Op's actions ?.... does this mean I'm not a real cyclist ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

There was a story in the media a few months ago - A guy went through a red light on his bike (bicycle, definitely, not motorbike) and went through a windscreen of a car. The judge did something to his licence even though he hadn't been in a car at the time - He either suspended it or added penalty points. It was either Dublin or the UK.

Sorry about the hazy recall - I tried googling for details but I can't find it.

Edit:Ah, here we go. Link to story

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/injured-cyclist-gets-driving-ban-for-breaking-red-light-2228117.html

Here's an extract:
    Robert Pierse, the author of Road Traffic Law in Ireland, which is now in its fourth edition ..... said the judge was perfectly entitled to impose a driving ban for a cycling offence.

Mr Pierse added: "It is highly unusual but legal. ......

Mr Pierse.. said that he had not come across any previous cases where a cycling offence led to a driving ban.
    I do remember reading about this. And technically he did end up in a car :p

Advertisement