Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mother Teresa

I'm a gold member (within range) & was asked for €10 for the new material :mad: Did anyone else have this?

I just rang WW head office to enquire about this, and they said that if your in your goal weight range (+/- 5lbs), these should be given to you for free!
    I know I'm not :) but I remember in previous cycles, joining back when there was a new programme and NEVER being charged for new material.
    Maybe ring the head office and take it up with them? I literally just rang 2 minutes ago after reading your post.
    I'm off to face the music after months of procrastinating. I think I'm back to, or even slightly over my original start weight, but looking forward to getting stuck into a totally new approach. Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pinkie19

Hey Guys!

Happy New Year to everyone. I've decided to give weight watchers a go for the third time, Im hoping its third time lucky!

I had managed to lose some weight beforehand when I was on weight watchers but I always fell off the wagon and then was too lazy to get back on! Then the weight would come back with a bang & more.

Im hoping that this time I can do it properly.
    Im a student which makes it a little bit more difficult because I dont have a set time that I can eat everyday and the canteen in college isn't great.

I know I can bring my own food with me, which I plan to do, but I think it will take some planning ahead.

I don't really have a sweet tooth, I prefer more savoury things, for example, I love cheese! I could eat cheese all day. These are the kinda things I'm gonna have to cut back on.

Im not joining back at the meetings because I know I wont go every week. I plan to do it at home myself, I have a WeightWatchers weighing scales, I have my points calculator, Im making up a tracker and I have my book from when I was at the meetings before.

My main problem is motivation. Im pumped and ready to do this now and I know that once the weight starts to come off I'll be really happy but its for the weeks when it doesn't come off or I gain, they are the times that I lose my motivation.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep my motivation up?

I was thinking maybe taking photo's every week (I got a new camera which will come in handy), writing down my feelings everyweek after I weigh myself.

Sorry for the story!

Thanks,

Emma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi everyone I am new to this forum too. I just signed up for 3 mths on line with ww uk cost 34euro. Might buy a propoints calculator to make it a little easier rather than having to go online to check points.
    Best of luck to everyone and thanks to all the regular posters this is a great tread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sarah948

Pinky I htink thats a brilliant idea about taking photos everyweek. I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

PinkChick wrote: »
    Hi all, everyone feeling all determined now? My meeting is back tonight. Really want to give it a good run this year. Got engaged at Christmas so more reason than ever now! Plus going to be a bridesmaid for my sister. So no more excuses. Need to shift at least a stone as quickly as possible!! Good luck everyone on first week back.

Congratulations on the engagement! What a start to 2011!
    Pinkie19 wrote: »

My main problem is motivation. Im pumped and ready to do this now and I know that once the weight starts to come off I'll be really happy but its for the weeks when it doesn't come off or I gain, they are the times that I lose my motivation.

Emma- I think it was Alpha had the tip here before to buy a "someday" outfit- as in the pair of jeans you will fit into "someday"- and hang it in a prominent place where they are in view everyday. I find that brilliant.

WI this morning and am up half a pound since I weighed myself last week. Not so bad- am not going to beat myself up over it.

Am loving the look of these new points- got the calculator this morning at the meeting cause that wheel is beyond me.

Also got the "shop" book- and have been flicking through it. My advice is don't bother. I don't think it's at all relevant to Ireland, and the basic foods are all listed in the material anyway. Could have saved myself €7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 sarah948

sarah948 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just been going through as much as this thread as possible. Looks like a great support network.

I am really thinking about joining WW again. I was a member years ago. Once when I was still in school we did it as a whole family that was great. And the class was a really good one. I lost over 2 stone, kept it off for ages until I started college!! Then again a few years ago I joined a different class. It wasnt great to be honest and I didnt really like the leader. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a class to join. I live in Ballinteer and see there is one in BCS. Where exactly in the school is it? Is it any good?

Sorry its just that we have gone onto another page already. Anyone got any advice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Hi Pinky,

one thing I do which really helps with motivation is write my goal weight (with eyeliner so you can clean it off if you have to!) in the bottom corner of the mirror in my bedroom, and write my current weight in the opposite corner so you can literally see yourself getting closer and closer to goal.

the photos sound like a brilliant idea too!

I find logging in and even just reading this thread to be motivational, even if you don't have anything to write reading other peoples stories and their successes can be great.

best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jack01

I joined WW before Christmas and lost 7 lbs which i was delighted with before Christmas, am contemplating going back now even though i haven't put on much over Christmas due to illness. Id love to know why WW Ireland doesn't do the special offers like they do in the UK has anyone ever inquired about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

ETA
    Found a propoints online calculator
    Just tested it and got the same result as with my new mind-bending circular points finder
    7 points for a Tesco Finest mince pie :lookround:

PRO POINTS FINDER

Try www.weightwatchers.co.uk for advice on the new counting methods; it has more information and advice than the site above, which "captured" the counter from a parent site, and then used it to promote its own diet programme, and definitely not weightwatchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Pinkie19 are you me?? :p I'm exactly the same with cheese and I don't have a very sweet tooth either. I can actually stand at the fridge eating cheese while deciding what to cook for dinner! I'm going back to WW on Thurs and I'm determined it will stick this time. As for motivation, when I was successful it was the small goals that kept me going. I found thinking too far ahead of myself would only drag me down and make me feel I wasn't doing enough even if I'd lost half a pound. This has to be my year, I turn 39 in a few weeks and I want to be looking for something beyond glam to celebrate (if that's the word) my 40th. My niece is also getting married in August and for once I'd like to look at photos without thinking 'who's the heifer?'

Here's to success for all us and from reading this thread the support here is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Hey Guys!

Happy New Year to everyone. I've decided to give weight watchers a go for the third time, Im hoping its third time lucky!

I had managed to lose some weight beforehand when I was on weight watchers but I always fell off the wagon and then was too lazy to get back on! Then the weight would come back with a bang & more.

Im hoping that this time I can do it properly.
    Im a student which makes it a little bit more difficult because I dont have a set time that I can eat everyday and the canteen in college isn't great.

I know I can bring my own food with me, which I plan to do, but I think it will take some planning ahead.

I don't really have a sweet tooth, I prefer more savoury things, for example, I love cheese! I could eat cheese all day. These are the kinda things I'm gonna have to cut back on.

Im not joining back at the meetings because I know I wont go every week. I plan to do it at home myself, I have a WeightWatchers weighing scales, I have my points calculator, Im making up a tracker and I have my book from when I was at the meetings before.

I was thinking maybe taking photo's every week (I got a new camera which will come in handy), writing down my feelings everyweek after I weigh myself.

Sorry for the story!

Thanks,

Emma.
    astra2000 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I am new to this forum too. I just signed up for 3 mths on line with ww uk cost 34euro. Might buy a propoints calculator to make it a little easier rather than having to go online to check points.
    Best of luck to everyone and thanks to all the regular posters this is a great tread.:)

Hi to all those starting on this thread new and welcome! Im not a very regular poster on this thread because I mainly post over in the food diaries thread but Im hoping to use this thread much more from now on! Im loving the fact its so lively now too!

Pinkie, I was similar to you when I started off. I had tried so many times to get started before but it never worked because I would wake in the morning full of motivation and by evening it would all be gone!
    My main piece of advice to you is, once you have your first week over and you see a loss on the weighing scales you will not look back! You just need to push yourself to get to a point where you see a loss and soon you will be motivated by the loss!
    Try making a big goal to get to eventually, with smaller short term goals in between. For example I have mini goals of half a stone intervals. So when Im loosing a couple of pounds each week, in my head Im thinking about how many more I have left to loose to get to my next mini goal!
    You could try treating yourself with something non food related each time you make a mini goal and you could have a big treat in mind for yourself when you get to your main goal!
    I also find if you get up and literally make yourself exercise early in the day (or whenever works for you) you wil be less likely to loose your motivation by night time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

astra2000 wrote: »

Hi astra! I'm joined the ww uk site too. I joined last August :) wooo! :D

Hi Pinky,

one thing I do which really helps with motivation is write my goal weight (with eyeliner so you can clean it off if you have to!) in the bottom corner of the mirror in my bedroom, and write my current weight in the opposite corner so you can literally see yourself getting closer and closer to goal.

the photos sound like a brilliant idea too!

I find logging in and even just reading this thread to be motivational, even if you don't have anything to write reading other peoples stories and their successes can be great.

best of luck!

That sounds like a great idea!! Thanks a mill for that, I'll defo do that! =]

Timeforachange - Thanks for that message. It was lovely to read. You're an inspiration!
    I have decided that I will take all the advice everyone has given me in the past few HOURS and Im gonna use it all =]

Its brilliant. I have a dress that I adore but its two sizes too small.. I want to fit into it by maybe easter?? I have to be realistic tho! So I may have to change that goal!

Thanks so much to everyone who posted to me!
    Good Luck to you all.
    I will be posting often - Keep up the great work guys! We can do this!!

Emma x

When I'm being good,

I use a mix of all the above...

I have my "someday jeans"....and SOMEDAY I WILL GET MY ASS INTO THEM!

I also reward my self....even it its only a loss of 1lb...a loss is a loss! after all 1lb a week is 52lbs a year! THAT'S A HUGE WEIGHT LOSS!

in the xmas sales I got alot of positve motivating goodies! I got the new EA Sports Active fitness game for the wii + a wii balance board. Going to start using that as much as i can. Also got some new runners.

Got some dvd box sets, to watch on the old tv+dvd player which i've set up infront of the treadmill.

I got some nice make up and a new top to wear out for my birthday next week. Everyone likes to look there best on nights out.

If I find my self hovering around the biscuit tin or fridge outside my actual meals....I try to ask my self "okay....why am i actually at the fridge....am i bored/depressed/self rewarding....or am i actually hungry"

I've been back on track pro pointing since new years day...and i'm already feeling lighter and less bloated.

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    When I'm being good,

I use a mix of all the above...

I have my "someday jeans"....and SOMEDAY I WILL GET MY ASS INTO THEM!

I also reward my self....even it its only a loss of 1lb...a loss is a loss! after all 1lb a week is 52lbs a year! THAT'S A HUGE WEIGHT LOSS!

in the xmas sales I got alot of positve motivating goodies! I got the new EA Sports Active fitness game for the wii + a wii balance board. Going to start using that as much as i can. Also got some new runners.

Got some dvd box sets, to watch on the old tv+dvd player which i've set up infront of the treadmill.

I got some nice make up and a new top to wear out for my birthday next week. Everyone likes to look there best on nights out.

If I find my self hovering around the biscuit tin or fridge outside my actual meals....I try to ask my self "okay....why am i actually at the fridge....am i bored/depressed/self rewarding....or am i actually hungry"

I've been back on track pro pointing since new years day...and i'm already feeling lighter and less bloated.

You're right! That is a huge loss. Im hoping to lose around 35lbs by next xmas. That's my main goal I think! Im still unsure of my goals right now.
    I'm going to go through everything tonight and completely re-organise my life.

It's great that you're feeling better already! Well done! :) Get rid of all that extra xmas bloat! I need to do that too! heheh!
    Good Luck to youuu!!

Best way to do it! Embrace it completely! I'm just aiming for 1lb a week. I'll be happy with 4 -5 lbs a month. I'm so crazy busy with college. College is my priority. Its a very hands on exhausting course. So I think 1lb a week is the best I can do. And sure I'm doing it for no one but my self. So 1lb a week consistently is going to do me just fine. Anything more than that a week will be a bonus. I'm hoping the doctors can find a new thyroid medication for me. cos i'm seriously exhausted after a day at college. All I'm looking for is the energy to do half an hour of exercise a night.

Im in college too and my course is pretty tiring so I know that feeling.

Do you have an underactive or overactive thyroid?

That's great that you know how much you want to lose and you know you can do it! :)
    That's brilliant!

Make sure you keep us updated! Can't wait to see your progress every week! :D

Im in college too and my course is pretty tiring so I know that feeling.

Do you have an underactive or overactive thyroid?

That's great that you know how much you want to lose and you know you can do it! :)
    That's brilliant!

Make sure you keep us updated! Can't wait to see your progress every week! :D

HOPE i can do it! I only lost 38lbs in 12 months (and I've gained back like 10lbs of that cos of college...I was hoping for at least 50lbs in my first year :( But i know where and why I went wrong and have learned from it.

Boarderline underactive thyroid. Have had few different blood tests to confirm. the medication they had me disrupted my sleep so much. Going for blood tests in a week or two again to try and find a new medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭irishneady

Hi guys

meeting is tommorow and am dreading it! I can actually feel the extra wobble when I run. anyway have gone and got new runners, track suit bottoms etc today as plan on doing more exercise this time round. I think it is defo the accelartaor (sp) to beating the belly. Work is hectic for me right now as am workingg full and part time (don't ask lol) so I don't know when the exercise will fit in but have signed up for a class on one of my spare evenings.

as another motivator = ppl used to have the tickers on their profile. I thought they were brilliant. Although was too embarassed to do it myself.

Am looking forward to meeting and finding out all about pro points and what my daily allowance is.

Hope ye are all getting on ok - keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

Hi Guys!

Was looking online for weight loss tips and came across this page. Have only read a few pages but it's so good and definitely could do with the motivation. I tried WW in the past and did okay (:() with it so I'm interested to try the new system. I could do with losing around 2 stone, maybe a little less. I really am sick of being over weight and I want 2011 to be the year to fix that and be done with it for good. It's the 4th of Jan now so it's the perfect time to begin!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and has said goodbye to the tins of Roses for another year!!!

A.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭timeforachange

Hi Guys!

Was looking online for weight loss tips and came across this page. Have only read a few pages but it's so good and definitely could do with the motivation. I tried WW in the past and did okay (:() with it so I'm interested to try the new system. I could do with losing around 2 stone, maybe a little less. I really am sick of being over weight and I want 2011 to be the year to fix that and be done with it for good. It's the 4th of Jan now so it's the perfect time to begin!!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and has said goodbye to the tins of Roses for another year!!!

A.:)

Welcome :D Im so confident your going to find this thread so helpful! I know I do anyway! It might also be worth your while taking a look at the food diaries sub forum because you can get some great inspiration there too.
    Good luck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Hey,

Really excited by the new ProPoints system at my meeting tonight! Feel really motivated by the change!

Just checking out the uk website and its soooooo much better than the Irish one. Is there any way we can login there? There is always an official ww iphone app which members can download, which looks great, but again only available in UK :(

I was going to email ww Ireland, but they don't seem to have an email address!!

Are we not very technological in Ireland??
    :(

i did find an app last night that is not official. I wanna go to meeting first and might just buy the calculator.

wanna fill me in on some propoints pointers???

oh dear us irish don't seem to be at a peak of ww technology. you would think they have an email>?

I wanted to try find out who the leader is in this area but I think I will just go and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

A new app for propoints would be amazing! I don't have any of the books or anything so something like that would definitely help esp with the shopping. I went onto the calculator that was posted here and worked out a few things in my press...oh dear :o is all i have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

HOPE i can do it! I only lost 38lbs in 12 months (and I've gained back like 10lbs of that cos of college...I was hoping for at least 50lbs in my first year :( But i know where and why I went wrong and have learned from it.

Boarderline underactive thyroid. Have had few different blood tests to confirm. the medication they had me disrupted my sleep so much. Going for blood tests in a week or two again to try and find a new medication.

Well done ladylainey great weight loss. I have to say I can see myself getting hooked on the online version, there seems to be much more info available there than I ever got at meetings and it is much cheaper.
    Do any of you guys ever use a site called minimins? Its an english weightloss forum covers every diet imaginable and the ww forum is very good, though I prefer this one as it has the irish element:).
    I have to agree the irish ww site is not great, such a shame it would have been great to get points on dunnes products ect.

A new app for propoints would be amazing! I don't have any of the books or anything so something like that would definitely help esp with the shopping. I went onto the calculator that was posted here and worked out a few things in my press...oh dear :o is all i have to say!

i found one called ProPts Plus. I haven't downloaded it yet - its 1.59. It states it can be used with the new ww pro points and says its based on fat, fibre, carbs and protein. So I would say this will work?

irishneady wrote: »
    i found one called ProPts Plus. I haven't downloaded it yet - its 1.59. It states it can be used with the new ww pro points and says its based on fat, fibre, carbs and protein. So I would say this will work?

yeah that app sounds about right, like if they are charging you...it has to be ok!

yeah that app sounds about right, like if they are charging you...it has to be ok!

Will download it after I get my wheel and make some comparisons. It has no ratings yet so I am apprehensive. I did have iwatch for the old points which was very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

Hey,

Really excited by the new ProPoints system at my meeting tonight! Feel really motivated by the change!

Just checking out the uk website and its soooooo much better than the Irish one. Is there any way we can login there? There is always an official ww iphone app which members can download, which looks great, but again only available in UK :(

I was going to email ww Ireland, but they don't seem to have an email address!!

Are we not very technological in Ireland??
    :(
    you are right, there does not seem to be an email address for ww hq in Swords!! surprising, but ring them and you should get an email address!

• Advertisement

Looking forward to hearing from ppl here how pro points is presented at the meetings!

I'm off to do my shopping list! The house (the fridge) is back to normality. Christmas has been banned for another 9 months!

Too wrecked to get the numbers right this second, but the Dolmio Stir in Pasta sauces work out kinda okay on pro points. about 4 pro points for a whole container! I know the 150g Carbonara Dolmio Stir in is 5pro points. thats my favourite. that one I remember!

I mix it in with 80g of brown pasta and have REALLY REALLY nice a FAST carbonara dinner for 12 pro points

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement