Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marmotte 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Sounds good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

One of the main problems with training for marmotte in Ireland is the length of the climbs. There is nowhere around that will give the type of relentless 1 hour plus consistent climbing.

Mosiki's training is certainly well on course, getting both the distance and the climbing in.

At the moment I am concentrating more an the climbing aspect and trying to cut down on the lenght of 'middle' miles, those miles spent getting to and from different climbs.

Focusing on climbing stocking lane, up Featherbed and over to Sally Gap (admittedly there is nearly 2 miles of downhill) and then up Kippure. Takes me about 60 minutes. Then descend and turn around and do it again. Only done it twice in a row so far, hoping to up that in May to 3 and then 4. Hit W200 in early June so review distance and time in the saddle conditioning and then some tweeking before heading out.

Not sure which is the 'better' option, hence the post, but it has been mentioned before that the climbs in Marmotte are more akin to 25TT efforts rather than a series of smaller climbs and descents.

Longest ride so far is 65 miles so distance defo needs to be worked on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

Mosiki wrote: »
    wed 14th - 70km - 1000m

sat 17th - 130km - 2000m. First contact with Shay Elliott (twice) and Slieve Mann, return via Sally Gap. SE and SM are the most consistent and satisfying climbs i've done this year, no ups and downs really just a gradual up, up....

Hoping for a longer spin this weekend with a few more climbs thrown in. Proper prep required during the week, something like:

Mon - morn 30min swim, evening 30min lightweights, high reps
    Tue - 2hr flat spin
    Wed - morn 30min swim, evening 45min weights, lightweights, high reps
    Thur - morn 1 hr swim
    Fri - stretch and rest.
    Sat - 170 km spin, 2500m climbing.

Will carb load thur evening and friday. See how this works out, its a long day no matter what so best to give it a decent shot. Furthest i've done this year so far is 130km x 3.

Mon to Thur was fine, then at 6.00pm Friday evening it went pear shaped. Met a mate on way home from work and decided to pop in to the pub across the way for a quick pint. 9 hours and countless pints later I stumbled to bed and the weekend was a write off.

Saturday - couple recovery pints as you do.
    Sunday - went to tag along for the boards spin, felt like sh1t, still hanging from friday night, reached sally gap and turned for home, 65km cycled which felt like 130km.

As far as the Marmotte is concerned - cycling + alcohol = failure.

I have a family wedding next weekend so be no cycling, I have then 2 months to prepare drink free, on the wagon until the day after the Marmotte, fingers crossed:eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

As far as the Marmotte is concerned - cycling + alcohol = failure.

I have a family wedding next weekend so be no cycling, I have then 2 months to prepare drink free, on the wagon until the day after the Marmotte, fingers crossed:eek:.

Dont worry about it. You have to let loose every once in a while. I honestly think there is little point in doing something like the Marmotte if it means you have to give up living in irder to do it.

Two months is plenty of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Anyone planning one of these japes this weekend? I'm a newbie to the Marmotte and having followed this thread I realise I need to take out a time share in the pain cave. An early Sunday morning start would suit me if it suited anyone else.

There's no cure for masochism.

Not much progress to report, quite the opposite actually. The 2 months to prepare is now 6 weeks with little done in between.

Been abroad working for one of the weeks, and been on anti biotics for a week for throat/sinus infection (which i got cycling while hungover couple weeks before, so karma i guess).

2 short 40km spins the first week. Decided to get back at it properly on saturday (yesterday) with repeats of stocking lane. 4 circuits done and felt my knee twingeing so cut the day short (was planning on doing 8 repeats). Could barely walk upstairs last night with the pain in my knee, yet another set back. :mad:

Todays plan of a 150km flat spin has been shelved while my knee repairs itself. It does feel better today and should be right by wednesday for an evening spin, stocking lane repeats again. The descent via cruagh is the worst part, bad road and very winding with gravel in parts which can be misleading when cornering.

I think i should have done stocking in the granny gear as opposed to thrid which put extra strain on my knees, especially when the 2 weeks previous my legs would have weakened rather than got stronger due to sickness and lack of cycling.

Plan for the week:

Monday: swim (1hr morning), weights (1 hr evening)
    Tue: as monday
    Wed: 3hrs cycling (to, from and 4 x stocking lane)
    Thur: rest
    Friday: weights (1hr morn)
    saturday: cycling 150km (flat spin at gentle pace HR zone 150)
    sunday: cycling (6-8 times stocking lane, dependent on how i feel)

Hope this week can go as planned cause any more set backs and marmotte could turn out to be a spectator sport for me. If my knee cant hold to the intensity of repeats of stocking lane then it wont on marmotte either so only one way to find out. Hopefully it was a combination of too much too soon with low immune system and lack of training in previous 2 weeks, as i was motoring up it in higher gears 2 weeks ago.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,754 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sorry to hear about your unluckiness(is that a word?) but I guess it's better to get it all out of the way now rather than have it happen the week of the event.

Woudn't worry too much about the last two weeks. Firstly, they're gone now and nothing you can do to get em back.
    Secondly, you can't shortcut training, trying to push too hard to make up lost time etc is a receipe for disaster. If you've missed the two weeks move your plan, it's not simply a case of added it all together.
    Of course, everything being right you might get away with it, but as your knee is giving problems sounds to me like your body is trying to tell you something, it's not really in a cyclists nature to listen to pain but sometimes it makes sense.
    Lastly, with the event so close it seems strange that you are putting yourself in unnecessary danger by descending Cruagh, the part after the Foxes turn off (on the descent) is a mess so why make crashing a bigger possibility. Why not just descend Stocking Lane. Sure it make the interval sessions boring as fook, but then it's an interval session after all!!

Instead of focusing on the last two weeks and what you haven't done, focus on what you have done and how that prepares you for it.

One thing I would say is that while cross training is very useful for overall fitness, and certainly something I coulddo with doing, this close to the event it really gives little benefit to spend time swimming and weight training. At this stage you are probably really fit, so it all about getting right for the event, and that means cycling. From you're schedule aboe that an additional 5 hours on the bike. Even some recovery rides would be more useful than the weights at this stage.

My two ce....well one cent worth anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeoD

If my knee cant hold to the intensity of repeats of stocking lane then it wont on marmotte either so only one way to find out.

I'm a complete amateur so feel free to ignore my advice but I wouldn't go with that approach. It sounds like you're really pushing those climbs up Stocking Lane which is putting a lot of stress on your knee - I would ease back on climbing and focus more on high intensity/heart rate work on the flat and allow your knee time to recover before France. I know a guy that had to train on a turbo exclusively for the 2007 Etape (route) after he broke his wrist at Easter and he managed to finish it so killing yourself doing hill repeats is not completely necessary if you just want to finish the event. I would also agree with the advice to drop the weights and swimming at this stage. I hope to be out there myself in under 7 weeks (volcanic ash permitting) and I can't say I've done a whole lot of hill work up to now.

Probably a better idea to go with the intensity side rather than get straight back to climbing and give the knee a better chance to fully heal.

The weights and swimming serve two purposes, first to drop weight, second to increase/maintain strength. This will increase my power-weight ratio for the event and aid the climbing. I cannot cyle everyday as i'd simply be burning out my legs. Anyway, 4 days swimming and weights is quite normal as far as my schedule is concerned whether i cycle or not.

The main difference alongside this will be my diet which i normally ignore. For the next 6 weeks i will be measuring the calories to drop from 184 to approx 170 lbs. To maintain my current weight with approx one hours exercise per day I would require approx 3,200 calories. I will consume 2,600 for the next seven days, re-weigh and adjust going forward. I have upped my carb intake and lowered the fat content of my meals so that i will not feel lethargic before training.

• Advertisement

@ Mosiki.

I am just back from the Pyrenees. On our longest day we spent 130km covering almost 3000km of climbing. It was tough but very very doable.

Now I know the Marmotte is 180km with about 5000m of ascent. However you know that I am a very very slow climber, but I got thru the day ok. Took me 7 hours, but I was fine (once I ate).

My advice would be the following.

(1) Do hill repeats, but dont prioritise them. Do them at a tempo pace - dont push it. Your knee could explode.

(2) Go for very very long spins. It will be a long long day. Be able physically and MENTALLY to spend a long time on the bike.

(3) I found that on the very long climbs that I just got bored beyond belief. It is mentally very very depressing to spend almost 2 hours travelling very slowly. You are a much better climber than I, nut you need to be mentally prepared to climb. I would advise bringing a distraction (IPOD etc). For the climbers that like to sprint up the climbs this is probably not an issue. But going slowly for a long period of time is pure hell on the mind/but easy on the body.

I think you will be fine on the climbs. Prepare for the length, not the intensity. Niceonetom kept banging on about this, and having been over there his advice was the best I got.

Train for spending a long time in the saddle. Repeats of Stocking lane isnt bad training at all, but it simply doesnt prepare you for 5 long climbs over what could be a 9-11 hour day.

Think about cycling to say Kilkenny and back with minimal breaks, refuelling on the bike, and staying in a certain HR zone.

Got a good week's training done, bike, swims, weights and running. Even managed to squeeze a wedding in too.

Dropped 4 lb in the weight stakes which is good...

This weeks plan:

Monday: 45km cycle (done today, home stocking lane, glencullen, home).

My heart beat has dropped ten bpm's climbing stocking lane compared to before which is encouraging. I put this down to a combination of legs getting stronger, weight dropping off and proper diet increasing energy and providing proper fuel fro muscles to be more efficient.

Tuesday: 130km cycle (take in enniskerry, djouce, luggala, sally gap, laragh, wicklow gap, boherbreena, home). no breaks.

Wednesday: 1 hr swim in morning, 1 hr gym in evening

Thursday: staff night out (go-karting, should be fun)

Friday: moving house so its as good as an hour or more in the gym.

Saturday: 60km cycle (sally gap and back)

Sunday: hoping to do the 160km Mick Byrne, will cycle there and back to dalkey so will be 190km for me.

Good week for training, didnt get anything done on saturday but everything else went as planned.

Did 215km on Sunday at the Mick Byrne, good tough course and is easily the strongest day i've had on the bike in a long time, if not ever. My pace is similar to before, but a lot less effort required climbing and increased endurance and strength. Was with empty from boards for most of the ride, until i got dropped at glenmacnass on way home, the last 35km were tough but i'd previously only gone 130km as longest spin year to date so not worried about that too much.

Dropped another 4lbs which makes a huge difference on the hills, if i get another 7lb off before Marmotte I'll feel ready.

This week i'm resting up a little, especially after sunday and i've a spin planned for next sunday to cover djouce - lugala - slieve mann x2 - SE x 2 - Wicklow gap x 2 - glenmacnass - home.
    Probably do a day in the gym and a swim one morning this week to keep me ticking over til sunday.

Training and especially the diet is starting to show dividends which is a relief and particularly satisfying when I can see and feel the rewards.

Hmmm. Will be interesting posting back here in July. My Marmotte prep has been a bit underwhelming to date. My km's for the past 4 weeks has been 363, 275, 185 & 165 with very little hill work. Will try to get the head down between now and the Tour de Burren which will mark the end of my 'training' regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

ROK ON wrote: »
    On our longest day we spent 130km covering almost 3000km of climbing. It was tough but very very doable.

Savage climbing, 3 million metres of climbing. Nope, not for me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 psychylist

hi - just wondering if anyone knows if there is any chance of getting accomodation in Bourg or alp d'huez this late. meant to be doin marmotte. any help appreciated. the accom is just for myself

• Advertisement

Not long to go, last 2 weeks were up and down. Have a good days training followed by a night out for a 3 course meal, one cancelling out the other.

Yesterday did: Cruagh, Sally Gap, Laragh, 2 x Shay Elliott, 2 x Slieve Mann, Glenmacnass, Home.

Bonked on Glenmacnass, dehydrated and didnt fuel enough, was a torturous long drag home. The 120km yesterday was tougher than the 215km Mick Byrne because I bonked, such a difference proper eating plans make. Was my own fault for skipping the stop at laragh shop on way back, trying to save a few mins to get home for the match, another lesson learned (although I kind of had a feeling I'd regret it as I cycled past the shop at Laragh).

My last 6hr plus ride will be next weekend, where i'll do same as yesterday plus wicklow GAP X 2 OR 10 x Cruagh. After that it will be short one hour spins up stocking lane/cruagh/ kilakee and practice descending too. The 2 weeks before Marmotte will be mostly short session bike work or swimming and gym to taper down and let the Glycogen bulid up so I can slowly carb load the last week and be fresh as possible for it.

It will be more a mental battle staying of the bike the last week, tough rides the week before will only weaken the muscles instead of strengthening them for the event itself. I'll have a couple of short 1-2 hr spins during the week at a higher heart rate than normal to try an increase aerobic capacity.

105km last week. Kinda hoping the Marmotte isn't as hard as people make it out to be. :o

16k tt last night - first time on the bike since the Burren tour last Saturday. That's the training finished now - flying out on Monday. Prix des Rouses on Wednesday and then a quick dash around the Marmotte on Saturday. Piece of p*ss I'd say... ;)

psychylist wrote: »
    hi - just wondering if anyone knows if there is any chance of getting accomodation in Bourg or alp d'huez this late. meant to be doin marmotte. any help appreciated. the accom is just for myself

I'd say if you arrive in Alpe d'Huez you'll find accommodation no problem - shur it's a massive resort that's practically deserted for the summer - even if you count the couple of thousand cyclists staying for a night or two.

I'll put up a report later of the trip, over next day or two when I get the time. Or else I might blog it and send the link. I dont normally but its no ordinary course. Have a few photos along the route also.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,138 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wonderful report, amazing effort.

I love this one...

What+you+order+when+entering+La+Marmotte.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Mosiki. Chapeau that was some report. Your honesty , no excuses, lessons learnt.
    'Go Neiri an Bothar Leat' for 2011;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Fair play for keeping it going for so long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Well done on a heroic effort Mosiki. You will have your revenge, I've no doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Jesus well done and well written, the pain certainly comes across on that. The Croix de Fer is a different col from the Glandon, basically if you go straight on instead of turning for the Glandon it is another kilometer or so. So the climb we did is the climb to both the Glandon and Croix de Fer if that makes sense. The cols themselves are the passes at the top rather than the climbs.

Pacing and nutrition are essential for that ride. You really have to go slow at the start and keep something in reserve for later in the day. The heat is what it is, the only way to deal with that is do more cycling in higher temperatures and you do adapt to it. It still makes it tougher certainly but it becomes manageable.

On the food stops, I was near the front (7am start) and what you describe is I think pretty much what it is, bread and salami, we had brie cheese as well. On the one hand I think it is fine but the problem is it is difficult to get down quickly and they don't really have anything you can take with you. This year I carried all my food myself (7 bars) to minimise stopping and so I wouldn't have to rely on them.

Good luck in 2011!

Heartbreaking and very well written. Chapeau.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Eggie!!!!!! I didn't notice that you had change your nick, I thought we kinda lost you. Amazing report, well done man, well done.

It's probably crazy, but reading those lines (and all the other reports) I want to do it as well, feel the pain. If you need a training buddy for the 2011 Marmotte let me know, I 'll be doing it! :)

Great report and photos although I expect neither do justice to the severity of the course under those conditions-you had to be there and you were. You're correct that you cannot explain to people who have not ridden or seen the climbs just how unrelenting and steep they are. Fair play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Fair play Mosiki, that was a pretty harrowing read but is one of the best accounts of capturing just how epic those climbs are that I've seen. When I was reading the Glandon bit I was sure you weren't gonna make it to Alpe D'Huez so fair play to you for having a shot at it when it would've been so much easier to not even try. Strange thing is, even after all that sufferring it still sounds like you enjoyed it! And in a bizarre way, I get that, it's kinda part of what cycling's all about.

The funny thing is that I think the pain affects the memory and it sounds like your recollection of the Galibier doesn't reflect just how hard it is. My memory is that it's 8% or so for the first bit coming out of the village and then after a few km there's a fairly flat bit but then it kicks up from there towards Plan Lachat. My hunch is people don't recognise how steep that section is as doesn't look steep but my vague recollection is there's plenty of 11% and 10% sections in the run-up to Plan Lachat. I remember it this way as I was told by locals beforehand that the climb only really starts 9km from the end (which I think is the actual distance from Plan Lachat to the summit, not 5 or 6km). Plan Lachat is at 2000m and Valloire is around 1400m, so you've ascended around 600m before you even 'begin' the climb.

I found Plan Lachat to be pyschologically the most difficult stretch of road I've ever done on the bike as you're cycling into the end of a U-shaped valley and you can see the angle of the road on the other side with a rare unobstructed side-on view - and that particular stretch (which I witnessed a truck fail to get up ahead of me) is 15-16% gradient and it just looks incredibly intimidating....and add in that I was already sufferring from what was allegedly the easy bit and it was the closest I came to getting off the bike.

But that bit all seems to have been a haze for you....you're probably better off!

One thing I'd ask - if you're going to do it again, does it have to be as part of the official event? I did it solo (girlfriend did support car) in September and though the extreme cold at the summits and on the descents (my Garmin battery froze when the mist came in on top of the Galibier), on balance I'd opt for that any day over descending with 9,000 lunatics and dealing with that intense heat and limited access to water and food.

• Advertisement

If you're interested in more reports, here's my Marmotte account. Not half as interesting as Mosiki's I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Great report - enthralling reading, fair dues to you ..

Reading all the reports have brought one thing home to me. I never ever ever ever want to partake in the particular piece of madness that is the Marmotte.
    Chapeau to all ofyou.

Some day I would like to cycle up Alpe D'Huez however.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Kenneth111

I have the utmost respect for anyone who even tries this let alone finish it.

I would love to give it a go and try as part of a group as you'd have people around to push you along in training for the race and for the race itself.

Maybe who know in 2012 i might give it a go. Would need some serious training and loose maybe 3 stone before i could tackle this. Not many hills let alone mountains in meath to train on so i might have to travel to find some.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭honkjelly

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Eggie!!!!!! I didn't notice that you had change your nick

Think i might have been on a boards spin with you the first time you went up Shay Elliot. Just came across your report this morning. Great read and think your goals for next year are spot on. Hill Repeats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

honkjelly wrote: »
    Think i might have been on a boards spin with you the first time you went up Shay Elliot. Just came across your report this morning. Great read and think your goals for next year are spot on. Hill Repeats!

Yeah, the super windy day!

That time of year again, Marmotte 2011 - entered. Now the easy bit, drop 20lbs and speed up over hte next 6 months and try it all again.

That time of year again, Marmotte 2011 - entered. Now the easy bit, drop 20lbs and speed up over hte next 6 months and try it all again.

Your experience of last year will definitely stand to you. Best of luck with it-we'll be looking forward to another report like the last one, this time with a happy ending.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Where did you register for the event, can you do it online?

I am thinking of giving it a go this year although after reading your blog, I'm not so sure!!!

• Advertisement

For those who enjoy pain and cruelty (of the self inflicted type), can register via the website below I believe (my mate registers me so I have no experience first hand).

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/index.php?langue=2

Weighing in at a monstrous 14st and 1/4 lb (my heaviest weight ever) I duly picked my jaw off the floor and recognised the work that lay ahead to fulfil 3 objectives:

1. Drop 20lb+ to make life easier for my aching legs when hauling my ass over the alps come July.

2. Improve my climbing to such a degree whereby my name can be mentioned in the same sentence as the word "goat" (maybe wishful thinking with the word "goat", but improve my climbing speed at least).

3. Improve average speed at various heart rate levels while climbing and on flat.

If I manage 1 & 2 then 3 will have looked after itself. Training will again involve cycling, swimming, weights and maybe running (but I hate running so maybe not).

Friday - 1 hour Turbo Trainer, moderate to easy pace (fat burning rather than cardio, need to stay in this HR zone for about a month initially to reduce weight, alongside controlling my diet.)

Saturday - 1 hr Turbo Trainer, moderate to easy again.

Sunday - 65km group spin with ThinkBike.ie in rathmines. Was great to get back out in the open air, and for longer than an hour on the bike again. 3 hour spin at an easy pace. Rathmines to Enniskerry (via Dundrum), along the N11 towards the turn off for Delgany, stopped in Greystones for a tea break, back up through Enniskerry an home. Just what the doctor ordered. No real climbs, didnt risk the hills as the roads were frosty in places nad would no doubt be a lot worse the higher we ventured.

Monday - resting up.

Tuesday - 25km, 1hr flat spin. Wet and windy but grand once you get out. Didnt particularly feel like it but its nights like that which make the difference. Felt better for it afterwards.

Thursday - 30km spin after work around Phoenix park, moderate enough, burn calories if nothing else.

Sunday - Went out with the Thinkbike group. Left Rathmines and by the time we reached Glencree (25km) half of the group were going home, couple of others only doing Sally Gap and returning via same way. Myself and another lad, Paul, continued on over Sally Gap, descended Lugalla, through Djouce, Enniskerry and home.

First climb of the year and not as tough as I had anticipated, the pace was easy which obviously helped but I'm looking for distance and time in the saddle so I'm happy. Funily enough, Paul has entered for the Marmotte this year with his mate so we will be arranging Saturdays as Marmotte specific training spins, and using the Sunday group as a recovery spin.

First Marmotte training spin next Saturday, nothing too heavy at first. I could feel the legs getting heavy after todays 70km spin so something around 100-110 next saturday will be plenty to start off with. Probably go for Sally Gap, Laragh, Wicklow Gap, Bohernabreena which is circa 110km.

Now to watch Tottenham inflict the first defeat of the season upon Alex's men, and a couple of well earned pints of course:D

Not the most productive week, partly my fault, partly not.

Mon - Fri: Got two nights in the gym, which is pretty poor really, If I'm honest I was a lazy bollocks. This has to be improved upon starting this week, aiming for 3-4 nights per week training whether it be onthe bike, swimming or gym. Then saturdays and sunday where I have no other committments.

Sat: Arranged a Marmotte training spin with a guy the previous week, to take place 9.30am saturday morning. I duly showed at the meeting place at 9.30am, and duly left the meeting place at 9.45am, alone. No show on their side, which I was half expecting as they said they had a shindig the night before in advance, and I later learned he had a fall the day before and was wary of the roads higher up. No harm.

Not to worry, off I set heading for Sally Gap via Edmonston Road. Edmonston road is so much better now since they resurfaced it and I now prefer it to Stocking lane. It was pretty cold and I was wary of frost and ice further up, but their was nothing major of any concern the whole way to sally gap, other than a couple of stretches in the shade where the frost hadnt melted but it was dry and safe enough once slowing down on approach.

Saly gap was fine too, so I headed on to laragh. There were some stretches again in teh shade with heavy frost but dry and manageable at slow speed. A few icy patches where the water runs over the road and had frozen solid but again only 6 foot wide and manageable once slowing on approach. I set a relatively sedate pace and the legs were pretty fine climbing wise. When I reached Laragh I decided I would head back the way I came as I knew it was safe enough, rather than risk the unknown on Wicklow Gap. After a tea and a sandwich, shared with some stray dog, I climbed back up to Sally gap and home. 90km covered in 4hrs 45 mins (slow I know), felt fine and will look to stretch that to 120km next time out.

Sun: Showed up with a hangover for the Thinkbike.ie spin from Rathmines. 17 showed which was pretty good. Again via edmonston road whereby half way up I (or rather Bikerbhoy) realised my rear tyre was wrote off, a bulging rip ready to burst. That was the end of that spin, a slow descent of edmonston and then slouched home with 20km under the belt. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise because when I got home I got the rough end of the hangover from hell, weird. Felt fine out on the bike earlier.

Note of caution: Schwalbe Ultremo tyres, easily the most comfortable and quickest, grippiest tyre I have used (opposed to Continental GP 4000s & Open Corsa Evo CX). However, 500km and the are banjaxed so they will be used only in future for maybe the Marmotte, Mick Byrne 200, etc. One day events.

I have ordered a set of Continental GP 4000s from e-bay which should arrive in the next week. I used these last year and they lasted 6 months over the winter and are quite durable with decent enough grip (although not the same as the corsa evo's or ultremo). But what you lose in grip you gain in reliability, and I wont need to buy a new set every month as I would with Ultremos, or every 2 months as I would with Corsa Evos.

Next weekend I wont get any bike time as I am away so aiming for 4 nights traing after work Mon-Thur to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Roadrat

Excellent report.Thanks for giving me hope.

• Advertisement

Decided to update blog with progress as I attempt to drop from fat frog to beanpole before July. Link in my signature below.

Blog

You have a great writing style and I really enjoy your reports so I hope you give us all a happy ending this July. I'm no expert but have you got a structured training plan? And by structure, I don't mean a detailed daily plan - just an overview of what you want to do/achieve during the months of Feb/Mar/Apr for example? I'm a bit surprised you're hitting the mountains already - isn't it a bit early for that? As this is a cycling forum it's going to be frequented in general by people who absolutely love to cycle and pound out the miles which can make you anxious but if your goal is to complete the Marmotte then I wouldn't get drawn into a competition to see who has done more miles/climbs this early in your preparation. There is lots of information out there about the importance of laying down a good base - working at 60-75% max HR (or 60-80% depending on fitness level) - at this time of the year before moving into the higher HR zones. If you're hitting the hills already I'm assuming your HR is going above 75%? I don't think this is going to help you reach your goal - it may in fact even be harming it. I have a brain like a sieve so can't ever remember all the info I've either read or been told but between now and the end of March I hope to ride 3-6 hours a week (training spins only - not commuting) at between 60-80% max HR at a cadence of 80-90 RPM. I will mix in a few big gear intervals for power - don't know how beneficial they will be but it's makes me believe I know what I'm doing anyway! My training is geared towards A4 racing this summer and the Maratona dles Dolomites in July where I hope to go balls out and complete it in a decent enough time.

You've probably received tonnes of advice in the last 12 months so sorry for being another pseudo expert in this but if you ike, take a look at Zone Training: Planning Your Cycling Training Program.

Oh and finally, trim down the booze and calorie intake! ;)

I havent written down a plan because mentally I'll have turned a goal into a chore. My current training is pretty sedate, pace wise, even climbing the hills. And to be honest, compared to the Marmotte, a couple of loops of Sally Gap isn't exactly difficult and wont do any harm whatsoever.

My main aim is to drop the weight and gain distance ( hills included), then up the pace. My base fitness is fine, always was, have trained regularly for 15 years, just about a stone 4lb above my optimum weight for cycling but it wont be an issue dropping down. I have done it many times before.

I ordered this book , apparently its an interesting read and may help. Time wise I will be looking for 6 - 10 hrs on a Saturday and 3-6 hrs on a Sunday on the bike as the norm. Obviously there will be weekends were I have other committments and that will be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Improve my climbing to such a degree whereby my name can be mentioned in the same sentence as the word "goat"

Ideally not in the sentence "you look like a .... " :P

Seriously though, best of luck. Your report on last years was great and I'm looking forward to following your progress on this years.

Bad week for weather. Latest update.

• Advertisement
Advertisement