Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmotte 2010

Options
  • 18-12-2009 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Planning on doing this. From those of you who have completed this in the past, any training/prep tips.

Looking at Jan start date for training program.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Cycle up hills as much as possible. If you can go somewhere in Continental Europe before the big day with proper mountains and cycle up them.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

Devised a route which I'll need to complete handy enough if I want to do a Marmotte I guess:

Covers: Sally Gap, Shay Elliott, Slievemann, Wicklow Gap.

Anyone do this before and the Marmotte?

http://www.mapmyride.com/view_route?r=298126779602667213

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You might find this thread useful for challenging route suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Mosiki wrote: »
    Devised a route which I'll need to complete handy enough if I want to do a Marmotte I guess:

That's not a particularly hard route. Only 2000m of climbing. The big M is 5000m. I'd be hoping to be doing something like the route you've outlined above pretty much every weekend by May or June.

thats my plan, every weekend. Get a few routes drawn up with more climbing in the mean time.

Edit: I think the elevation on mapmyride is off cause i done that once last year and it was over 2500m on the Garmin AFAIR, must check later to see.

• Advertisement

Nice route. I've done similar but a fair bit more difficult in Wicklow but it doesn't even come close to the level of difficulty in the Marmotte, honestly.

Garmin metres mean nothing as they count every undulation as climbing. With the Marmotte it is basically all going up (for well over an hour at a time) or down.

thats my plan, every weekend. Get a few routes drawn up with more climbing in the mean time.

Edit: I think the elevation on mapmyride is off cause i done that once last year and it was over 2500m on the Garmin AFAIR, must check later to see.

I'm sure the prospective marmoteers will be able work together to get some group spins going when the weather picks up. There's no shortage of mad men always up for an epic around here.

I think MMR used to use a more generous dataset/smoothing algorithm to generate elevation totals. Bikeroutetoaster gives more, and garmin is very generous indeed.

I think it's a bit moot though as I wouldn't really count the undulations (+20m then -20m) that account for an awful lot of any spin in Wicklow. What I'm really looking for is as much sustained climbing as possible. Over-and-backs of Slieve Mahn and Glenmalure would be a good way to accumulate time climbing, as would loops of Stocking Lane and Cruagh. Short climbs (and they're all short from an alpine perspective) do mean that you're never very far from a point where you'll get a chance to recover, or indeed be forced to recover as it's very hard to keep the heart rate up while descending... and recovery periods are very very well spaced on the Marmotte so hard spins on the flat will be part of the mix too... argh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Eggie.

I am hoping to take next Thur off work. Not sure if you are still on for midweek spins. If so we can give something like those routes a shot, with the provisio being that I must be back in D15 by 330pm at the very latest.
    I know you are a fair bit stronger than me on the climbs, but you are still very welcome to tag along.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

ROK ON wrote: »
    Eggie.

I am hoping to take next Thur off work. Not sure if you are still on for midweek spins. If so we can give something like those routes a shot, with the provisio being that I must be back in D15 by 330pm at the very latest.
    I know you are a fair bit stronger than me on the climbs, but you are still very welcome to tag along.

Not a marmotteer, but would I be able to tag along? Need to get some midweek spins and don't like going out on my lonesome :o

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Not a marmotteer, but would I be able to tag along? Need to get some midweek spins and don't like going out on my lonesome :o
    Sure thing. I really hope to start early. Say 8am at bottom if Cruagh.
    Anyway, we can talk at the quiz.
    BTW, I am heading to a quiz tonite, so I will be able to see what I am like. Its been a while. But I came 2nd in the last quiz I was in (sorry for going OT).

• Advertisement

I'm back working. Be in Guernsey next week mon - fri. I would be up for some night spins if anybody fancied? Even if it was only repeats of stocking lane, just to get the legs built up.

That would also give me good reason to buy the Exposure Maxx Daddy and i'm running out of reasons as it stays brighter longer every day now.

I'm back working. Be in Guernsey next week mon - fri. I would be up for some night spins if anybody fancied? Even if it was only repeats of stocking lane, just to get the legs built up.
    Very glad to hear that Eggie. Good for you.
    I head out on evening spins twice a week if I can. One is Hill repeats of Three Rock, which can be fun (sortof).

7th Mar: Headed out to join the Orwell Sunday spin, tagged on to the medium group as there was a few boardsies there. Route was Dundrm - devils glen - laragh - sally gap - stocking lane - home.

120km, first time i seen sally gap in a few months and felt it too, suffered on the way home. The distance was fine, trying to keep pace with stronger/fitter riders at this point of the year was my downfall per usual. Slept like a log.

14th Mar: Route - city centre - dundrum - enniskerry - djouce - luggala - sally gap - devils elbow - dundrum - home. 80km. 4hrs.

Felt stronger than last week, hills weren't as painful as i expected but was pretty tired afterwards. Slight Improvement all the same climbing wise.

17th Mar: same route as 14th Mar, purposely did the same route to compare how it felt even though was close together. Felt stronger again on the climbs with lower heart rate than previously. Took 10 mins off previous time.

21st Mar: Route - city centre - dundrum - stocking lane - sally gap - laragh - wikclow gap - blessington - boherbreena - tallaght - home. 120km.

Decided to ride at a comfortable pace today on my own, not slow but not pushing it either, maintain an aerobic endurance heart rate of 155 - 165 bpm. Felt much stronger climbing than before, although this varied from 8 - 12 kph on various gradients, not setting the world on fire but i'm not worried about pace at the moment, distance and ascendng more important. 5hrs 50mins.

Didnt stop at laragh for food today which helped as I would normally feel full and lethargic when stepping back on the bike. Instead I took a sandwich, cut into 4 squares and wrapped separately, eating one every 20km on the way out (along with a bar every 40km), water and energy drink. This eating strategy suits me a lot better and think I'll maintain this in future.

Back to Guernsey tomorrow for 5 days with work. Good news is the hotel this time has a pool and gym so I can get a good weeks off-bike training done during the week which was lacking previously. Think i'll attempt Shay Elliott and Sleive Mann next week. Hopefully there wont be as many bikers speeding past as there was today on wicklow gap.

21st Mar: Route - city centre - dundrum - stocking lane - sally gap - laragh - wikclow gap - blessington - boherbreena - tallaght - home. 120km.
    Think I saw you at some point between the N81 and the Wicklow Gap, I was coming up the other side in an Orwell jacket, black Planet X.

blorg wrote: »
    Think I saw you at some point between the N81 and the Wicklow Gap, I was coming up the other side in an Orwell jacket, black Planet X.

Yeah, realised it was you at last minute passing, you looked like you putting the effort in. (as opposed to myself lazily coasting down the hill).

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭LeoD

niceonetom wrote: »
    That's not a particularly hard route. Only 2000m of climbing. The big M is 5000m. I'd be hoping to be doing something like the route you've outlined above pretty much every weekend by May or June.
    :eek: Maybe people should clarify what level they're at to avoid frightening the bejaysus out of the rest of us? I'm doing the Marmotte and will probably do around 6/7 x 100 mile rides between now and July. My level is currently getting shelled out of A3 races after 20km :o How long would that ride above take you? 7hrs? Outside of my 100 milers I reckon 5hrs will be the longest I'll do any day.

blorg wrote: »
    but it doesn't even come close to the level of difficulty in the Marmotte, honestly.
    You seem a pretty capable cyclist with loads of endurance cycling experience - how did you find the Marmotte last year? A tough day or just plain torture? Any top tip you could share?

Sorry OP for taking this off topic slightly...

LeoD wrote: »
    :eek: Maybe people should clarify what level they're at to avoid frightening the bejaysus out of the rest of us? I'm doing the Marmotte and will probably do around 6/7 x 100 mile rides between now and July. My level is currently getting shelled out of A3 races after 20km :o How long would that ride above take you? 7hrs? Outside of my 100 milers I reckon 5hrs will be the longest I'll do any day.

I really don't see why anyone planning on doing the Marmotte would be scared of a route like that in Wicklow. The route above might be knocking on the same length as the big M, but it's flat (comparatively)!!! You do like riding your bike don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭LeoD

niceonetom wrote: »
    I really don't see why anyone planning on doing the Marmotte would be scared of a route like that in Wicklow. The route above might be knocking on the same length as the big M, but it's flat (comparatively)!!! You do like riding your bike don't you?

Doing a route like that a few times wouldn't bother me but every weekend seems a bit overkill? But I suppose it depends how fast you want to complete the Marmotte. I like riding my bike most of the time (not a fan of it with HR is above 98% max) but churning out long slow mileage every weekend does not hold much appeal. Quality not quantity is my notto. :D

I'll post back here in July and let you know how I got on...;)

Who said anything about slow? Quality and quantity. :P

On related topic. Is there any benefit to hill repeats on short climbs with crazy gradients.
    Close to my home there are 2 2-3km climbs close to 15% on average. Thi king of this in relation to building ability to manage HR intense pressure as a way of helping one cope better with much longer climbs where the road maynot be as severe.

• Advertisement

I dunno. Can't do any harm I suppose. Should build strength anyway, and ~10mins (or whatever) above threshold, repeated, never did anyone any harm*.

There's no way to properly simulate alpine (or pyrenean) climbs here so everything we do is non-specific to our task.

*may not be true.

ROK ON wrote: »
    On related topic. Is there any benefit to hill repeats on short climbs with crazy gradients.
    Close to my home there are 2 2-3km climbs close to 15% on average. Thi king of this in relation to building ability to manage HR intense pressure as a way of helping one cope better with much longer climbs where the road may not be as severe.

Gradient is largely irrelevant. The things that matter IMO are: effort, cadence, fuelling and heat adaption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Lumen wrote: »
    Gradient is largely irrelevant. The things that matter IMO are: effort, cadence, fuelling and heat adaption.

The fuelling is very much overlooked I'd imagine... you need your body to adapt to using fat for fuel.

mloc123 wrote: »
    The fuelling is very much overlooked I'd imagine... you need your body to adapt to using fat for fuel.

I don't know too much about that. I just think that if you're going to do long cycles you need to eat as much as you can physically digest whilst on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

heat adaption.

Probably the hardest one to get used to while in Ireland ...

I don't know too much about that. I just think that if you're going to do long cycles you need to eat as much as you can physically digest whilst on the bike.

I am only basing this on what I have read for Ironman training.. the body can only process about 2-300kals an hour, the rest needs to come from fat stores... which is what needs to be trained.

I am only basing this on what I have read for Ironman training.. the body can only process about 2-300kals an hour, the rest needs to come from fat stores... which is what needs to be trained.

So it's ok to be fat? woooo!

haha, even people at 5% have enough to fuel them for an event.. but it could be a good excuse ;)

haha, even people at 5% have enough to fuel them for an event.. but it could be a good excuse ;)

yes but i am doing 4 that week ....

• Advertisement

it's so much more satisfying to eat a piece of cake with a cup of tea while lounging in the living room ... you can't enjoy it going up a 3000m climb.
    I think Grand trophee/Marmotte will be a great way for me to try out my new : 'Eat your cake before the marmotte not during' theory.

Advertisement