Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art / crafts courses/ events you would recommend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

trishw78 wrote: »
    this might be a dbl post if so I apologise...

The knit & Stitch Show is coming up in the RDS at the end of the month. 28-31 Oct

http://www.twistedthread.com/ for more details.

Im a card maker & planning a trip to this for supplies...... People have suggest this & Kings Hall. I was at this years ago & felt it was just a cross stitch supplies fair. Maybe im wrong..... Any suggestions & tips please as ill have mammy in tow & plan an arguementative free day !!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I agree, the Knit&Stitch in RDS is becoming more and more for cross stichers. I've given up going to the RDS and am booked on a flight to Birmingham NEC for the Craft Show which is humungous!! Lots of cardmaking stands which would interest you. If mammy likes baking or icing cakes they also have a Sugarcraft & Cake decoration show on at the same time. Here's the link:
    http://www.necgroup.co.uk/whatson/november.htm

Be warned, you will be shattered by the afternoon!!!

If the Birmingham show is too big for mammy to walk around, the Kings Hall one is about the same size as the RDS but you would find more cardmaking stuff there.

Whatever you do, Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 MuseumEducation

Origami Workshops

Choose from cards, boxes or hanging decorations in this exciting range of origami workshops with tutor Naomi Fleury.

Make your own hanging decorations using Origami Techniques
    Learn how to make beautiful hanging decorations using ancient origami techniques. This workshop will allow you to develop your creative side and continue to make origami decorations in your own home. All materials are provided.
    Saturday 6th November 2010, 10.00am – 1.00pm. Price: €45

Card Making using Origami Techniques
    Learn how to make cards using the ancient origami technique. The word origami is Japanese: oru means "to fold", and kami means "paper". During the 6th century, paper was introduced into Japan. It is here that paper folding became an art form and evolved into what we know today as origami. All materials are provided.
    Saturday 6th November 2010, 2.00pm – 5.00pm. Price: €45 or
    Sunday 7th November 2010, 10.30am – 13.30pm. Price: €45

Make a Japanese Box
    Learn how to make a decorative Japanese box using domestic recycled materials and Japanese paper. This workshop will allow you to develop your creative side and continue to make beautiful boxes in your own home. All materials are provided.
    Sunday 7th November 2010, 14.30pm – 17.00pm. Price: €45

National Print Museum
    Beggars Bush Barracks
    Haddington Rd
    Dublin 4
    Tel: 01 66703770
    Email: printmuseumedu@iol.ie
    Web: www.nationalprintmuseum.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

TOG's members are hosting a number of events for Science Week 2010 and Innovation Dublin Festival 2010, one is the following craft event.

Pretty and Bright – DIY Christmas Ornaments
    Sunday, 14th November 2010
    3:00 PM - 8:00 PM

This workshop is for the creative ones among you! The use of scissors, glue and a soldering iron should not scare you, and the eagerness to try new things should be your second nature.

The fun will last the whole afternoon, and 15€ will cover all your material costs.

Craft Night
    Every second Tuesday
    7:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Everyone brings whatever they want to work on, and we hang out, chat, craft, and share.

We've also got our own boards.ie forum where you can ask for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 hadas

There is a Christmas crafts fair scheduled for the 28th of November in the Westgrove Hotel in Clane, Co. Kildare. There are a few tables available for those of you who wish to display your art and craft! Or if you fancy, just come along to soak up the warm Christmas atmospher. There are some lovely crafty gift ideas and the prices are very sensible. It is between 12pm to 6pm. Send me a PM if you want more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭zelemon

HI folks.

Can anyone recommend me some good place I can get good oil painting lessons in the greater Tralee area, I've been very interested in it, i used to be good at art & want to resume it. I'd really appreciate any advice on where i could go to work on this an evening a week or more!

regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Foxkehs

Hi everyone :)

My name is Jackie Fox and I'm the chair of DCU's Art Society. As part of DCU's Art's week, run by myself, on Wednesday the 1st of December I am holding a art and craft market within Dublin City University from 12pm-3pm. This will give anyone who would like to sell their own artwork whether it's sketches, paintings, photographs, jewelery, jewelery boxes etc a great opporutinity to earn some extra cash esp coming up to Christmas and to get your name out there to the student population. A table costs €20 for the three hours, which will go to the Marie Keating Foundation. If you are interested please PM me :) I really hope I hear from you! It's going to be an incredible week and day so let me know please.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Foxkehs

Foxkehs wrote: »
    A table costs €20 for the three hours

Thanks!

Sorry! I meant €10 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 cardartkilcoole

Make Christmas Traditional This Year
    Learn how to make your own
    Christmas Wreath, Table Centre, Garland and swag.
    With Yvonne Tune Kilcoole Craft Club
    At a Demonstration over 2 nights
    Tuesday the 23rd of November and
    Thursday the 25th of November
    In Lee’s Pub Main Street Kilcoole
    Time 7.00 to 10.00
    Cost €20.00 for both classes
    Tea/coffee and Mince Pies supplied.
    I was a florist for almost 25 years, and at this demonstrations
    I will teach you how to make a Christmas wreath on a traditional mossed frame, allowing it to stay fresh for about 6 weeks on your hall door, Table Center made in oasis,Garlands are made on a rope frame, and swags are made as a tied bunch, I will also teach you how to make beautiful bows to decorate the wreath, but would also be a perfect finish for your wrapped gifts.
    Full details on our blog
    http://cardartblogkilcoole.blogspot.com/
    Many thanks Yvonne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 murphysheehy

Hello,
    Are you interested in learning how to sew and make your own clothes?
    Murphy Sheehy will be running sewing classes from the 4th of December in our shop in the centre of town.
    follow this link for more information

Send PM for details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

any place/courses i could do some clay modelling or something similar? in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Check the Trinity Arts Workshop site - they do different courses - timetable info here

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭belleray

Hi all,
    I'm looking for beginners classes in quilting, either day courses or evening classes in the Dublin area. Having incredible trouble trying to find any.

And then I'd also be interested in stained glass classes if anyone could recommend any.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

Hi All,

I wonder if any of you guys can point me in the direction of card making classes?

I live in Dublin and don't mind driving to someone who is good and knows their stuff.

Thanks a mill :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭LorDar

Rush & Lusk Educate Together National School is running a Christmas Fair on Sunday 12th Dec and we are looking for any arts/crafts people who may want to rent a table from which to sell their wares.
    If you are interested please send me a PM and I will come back to you asap.

Thanks,
    Aoife:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jennyhaytch

I'd like to recommend a series of four beautiful paper-craft classes running at Mad Art Studio and Gallery for one weekend only: Sat 18th and Sun 19th Dec.

Paperplane Jane (is the company name) teaches beautiful, bespoke paper lampshade making, traditional paper decorations and gift-wrapping classes, in a really unusual and beautiful style. They really are lovely, elegant and very original.

Following the success of the classes in Glasgow she's bringing them over here for two days before Xmas. And the class; it's a lovely day out, you can kill three birds with one stone: have a Christmas day out with friends, make a gift for someone else, and learn wrapping techniques so you can make your presents really special.

Photographs of the beautiful shades and decs are here:
    http://www.madartstudio.com/index.ph...craft-classes/

The company is on Facebook (Paperplane Jane):
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...00000568840289
    Please take a look! x
    (and book your place while you can, they're very limited...)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I can recommend the Beginners Dressmaking Course in Galway Community College (Moneenageesha). I completed it a few weeks back and it was great. I have done the one in the Galway Technical Institute before which I liked but I found this one more accessible than it and I felt I learned a lot more

I'll be continuing on with the intermediate in the new year. Enrollments are starting on Christmas Eve for the Spring Term.

https://gcc.enrol.ie/galwayae/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭newbie!

Has anyone done the beginners dressmaking class in Crumlin college? Hoping to do it in January but would like some feedback first.
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

belleray wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for beginners classes in quilting, either day courses or evening classes in the Dublin area. Having incredible trouble trying to find any.

And then I'd also be interested in stained glass classes if anyone could recommend any.

Many thanks

Ditto, in South Dublin or Wicklow. Let me know if you hear of anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Millypenny

Hi Belleray,
    Have you tried the Irish Patchwork Society for details about beginners classes in quilting. Their website is http://www.irishpatchwork.ie

The Eastern Branch also has their own web-site - there's a category listed for Beginner's classes. They are starting beginners classes in January and there's a list on their website about dates of classes, what will be covered etc. http://www.easternbranch-ips.com/Site/Welcome.html

There's an email address on the "Beginners Classes" Section for you to contact the people in charge of the workshops, so I'd say the best bet would be to email them for more details.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭MagDee

geetar wrote: »
    any place/courses i could do some clay modelling or something similar? in dublin

hi there, i do polymer clay cake toppers figurines and jewellery and would have no problem either putting your name down for a more public workshop (I'm planning it for April this year) or a private one in your own time. I teach polymer clay colour, shape techniques and also mixed media projects (what good is my clay pendant if I can't hang it properly? :)

I've also picked up basics of wire wrapping so we can do mixed projects altogether. my deviant art page and my Etsy store

or maybe there is anyone else interested? I've seen some polymer clay workshops avaialble in UK but the pricing is ridiculous especially for beginners levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TheSewAndSew

Hi there

The Sew & Sew! is a new business based in Cobh, providing sewing tutorials in your own home, as well as occasional public masterclasses. A series of classes will be worked out, specific to your level and your interests - anything from a once-off intensive session to get you started, to a 10-week set of lessons in your preferred area.
    Everyone is catered for, whether you've never taken the sewing machine out of the box, or you want to polish and develop your current skills.
    Areas we can cover include basic repairs, alterations, curtains and cushions, dressmaking, and crafts - with each lesson plan tailored to the clients wishes. Comprehensive notes are also provided, and basic assignments set between lessons to guarantee progress.

I am a professional seamstress, costume maker, and qualified tailor. I have also worked extensively in alterations and home furnishings.

Rates per hour lesson vary from E25 to E45 depending on the number of lessons booked, with a 50% deposit required at the first lesson.
    The once-off intensive Starter Lesson is 90 minutes, and is E70 including notes.

Feel free to get in touch through my profile here, or you can 'Like' the Sew & Sew! Facebook page for updates and special offers.

Rhona / The Sew & Sew!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Hey all,

The 30th Worldwide Sketchcrawl is taking place tomorrow and the Dublin event is happing with the Dublin Sketchers from 12.30pm - all welcome!

Details are on the blog - www.dublinsketchers.blogspot.com

I picked up a leaflet for Rathmines College yesterday. Maybe someone might like to check it out as there are a few art/craft courses on it. Details are:

Rathmines College
    Town Hall
    Rathmines
    Dublin 6

Tel: 01 4975334

http://www.rathminescollege.ie/EveningCourses.pdf

Creative Embroidery
    Drawing and Painting
    Knitting for beginners and improvers

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Craft classes on lots of different topics starting 1 February, in Letterkenny. You can do just one evening, or get a discount when you book 4 or more.
    http://www.treasurebin.ie/classes_2010_42.html

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Just spotted a class this morning. I'd be there if it wasn't for work... um.. despite being in the Old Folks Centre! :D
    Learn in easy stages how to create a beautiful patchwork quilt. A quick and versatile pattern that will teach you traditional patch work techniques such as measuring, rotary cutting, piecing, quilting and binding. Come along, find a new skill, make your first quilt in just six weeks and have some fun !

Venue: Old Folks Association Centre, Lower Road, Shankill.

Time: First Class only – Thursday afternoon 3rd March 2.00 to 4.30pm
    All subsequent classes – Thurs mornings 10am to 12.30pm 10th, 24th, 31st March, 7th, 14th April 2011

Cost: €75

Requirements: Sewing machine in good working order (not required at first class) Fabric selection and all other requirements will be discussed at first class.

They really should rethink that horrible name! Anyway a lot of centres which senior citizens use are rented out to different groups to run workshops and courses so don't let the name put you off.

I'm not quite a pensioner yet, its on the horizon though, and I'd hate to think I was going to attend an 'old folks centre'!! Even 'senior citizens' title could be improved I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 when poppy met daisy

Hey guys,
    When Poppy met daisy is after opening a brand new spanking studio just on Capel street Dublin 1
    We are teaching 6 week sewing /dressmaking
    burlesque sewing
    vintage revamp
    fashion styling
    tshirt design
    millinery fascinator workshop
    Sewing for kids
    Intro to the sewing machine.....
    Please have a little goo at our website...
    www.whenpoppymetdaisy.com
    Thanks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 when poppy met daisy

newbie! wrote: »
    Has anyone done the beginners dressmaking class in Crumlin college? Hoping to do it in January but would like some feedback first.
    thanks.
    Hey there...
    I dont know much about crumlin... Im sure they are good, but we are now teaching a 6 week sewing/ dressmaking course in our studios in Dublin city centre, please have a little look at our website
    www.whenpoppymetdaisy.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 my pea green shoes

hi all,i just signed up here and am excited to use the forum... i am an artist me self hense the name,i wanted to share some of the courses i have done which i thought were really good...

i did a 2 yr course(i ended up staying for 3) in north strand,it was brilliant,it was a vtos cours and i got paid 250 a week there and around for doing it... the course was sculpture and ceramics based with a woodworking room,metalwork room,ceramics room,printing room,painting room and drawing room, a bit of art history aswel.... it was 9-5 mon to thur,i got such a good portfolio out of this course that it got me into ncad,actually we all got in who applied...when i got into ncad i realised that there was not the same attention paid to skills being taught and i realised how great the course was in n. strand.... ncad was brilliant for adding a concept to your skills,but i was very greatful to have the skills going in because we dont get taught much of the basic skills of drawing and painting etc....

the others who did not apply to college,either went onto manor hamilton in sligo to speciaise in sculpture or got studios and applied to exhibitions or worked from home.... everyone got so much out of it,thought i would share that experiece i had because it gave me so much which led onto other artistic oppertunities x
    emmm... next year i'm doing my transition year, I love art, and my mother and I have been researching a lot recently, with no success to try and find some good art courses, that I could do. So when I saw your post about the 2 year course u did in North Strand. So, I was just wondering could you tell me what was the name of the course you did and would a 15/16 year old girl be able to do the course? I would appreciate it soooo much. Thank you! =)

Advertisement