Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Transposers/Relays upgraded to DTT?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But, the current roll out may not match that, also it's likely to be a Tad optimistic.

Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

watty wrote: »
    But, the current roll out may not match that, also it's likely to be a Tad optimistic.

They had better start praying that the Ka Sat satellite makes it up In November so and they should pray for Hylas the week before too :)

If neither makes it then there will be no plan for Schull and no backup plan for Schull and no backup plan to the backup plan either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They had better start praying that the Ka Sat satellite makes it up In November so and they should pray for Hylas the week before too :)

If neither makes it then there will be no plan for Schull and no backup plan for Schull and no backup plan to the backup plan either.

Hylas doesn't have a dedicated Ireland spot beam. So that won't be used.

ASO doesn't happen for at least 2 years so if Ka-Sat fails they have that time to develop a backup plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Let's not stray off into the realms of satellite delivery chaps!

Looking at the last map posted, there was an assumption on here that Forth Mt. in Wexford would be used as the local fill in site - there is a sparsely populated area to the south of the hill that will have no coverage. If the map is accurate.

Puzzled about the location for the Wexford Town mast. It seems to be located in town somewhere... but there is limited coverage to the south of the town. I cannot see the need for a Wexford town in-fill, partcularly when there is good reception here (from outdoor aerials) across town.

Perhaps they will use Forth Mountain after all - and maybe that is now part of the revised plan, but I cant recall if that has been confirmed or not?

The Cush wrote: »

Plan is dedicated UK and Ireland spot.
    If Ka-Sat fails they have that time to develop a backup plan.

That would be Hylas or the continuation of DTT Transmitter Rollouts, they say they cannot afford the latter. A 'new' ka sat could not launch before early 2013 in my opinion.

• Advertisement

ASO doesn't happen for at least 2 years so if Ka-Sat fails they have that time to develop a backup plan.

Hylas doesn't have spot beam or capacity. It's tiny in comparison. Also dual feed impossible. It's for 33.5W! http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=17992.0

There would be nearly two years, so yes very late 2012 or early 2013 at best for a replacement. I think Viasat could get a replacement built in that time frame. But they might even decide to deploy 2011's Viasat 1 (an almost identical satellite for USA) in Europe to replace Kasat as they already have two satellites doing this service in USA and then put replacement in USA slot in 2012/2013.

So a replacement is technically possible in mid to late 2011, by depriving USA of additional Two way Internet. In terms of the dynamics of US and EU two way satellite vs time scale of fibre and other satellite competition the use of Viasat for Europe rather than US as replacement is likely. The TV is of course of no concern as the main use of ka-Sat and ViaSat1 is Tooway DOCSIS VSAT (internet)

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Please set up a new thread on this if you wish to discuss how transposers will be fed by satellite...

Satellite launches *should* be discussed in the satellite thread...

marclt wrote: »
    Let's not stray off into the realms of satellite delivery chaps!

Perhaps they will use Forth Mountain after all - and maybe that is now part of the revised plan, but I cant recall if that has been confirmed or not?

Sorry!

Basically we have a lot of info on various previous plans and almost none on current. Only just more than 1/2 the 51 sites are 100% confirmed.

RTE at the moment seem more secretive than Kremlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

is cairn hill on schedule for upgrade by end of september(thursday)???

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭roverdublin

In theory you should be covered by Mullagh or Clonakilty or Castletownbere.

The BEST map of proposed coverage plots is this colour coded one ( 25MB !!!)

http://www.bci.ie/DTT/easy_tv/map_hidef_bestserver_q1_2013.jpg

Quite WHITE around Schull and Ballydehob :(.

• Advertisement

is cairn hill on schedule for upgrade by end of september(thursday)???

Sure it's been running ages.
    6 Cairn Hill Longford 47 41 44 51 H B Yes Yes 53.8069, -7.7161

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Sure it's been running ages.
    6 Cairn Hill Longford 47 41 44 51 H B Yes Yes 53.8069, -7.7161

thanks Watty... I should have clarified it was to increase power at the end of september from 80kw to 160kw?

Really?
    Before ASO?

Really?
    Before ASO?

Mmm'Yahh! You told us so on page 1 :cool:

http://www.techtir.ie/sites/default/files/appendix7.3_coverageplotsmapsA3.pdf

But those are the boxer rollout plans?
    * Earlier plan for 53 sites (11main, 42 infill) with coverage plots (pdf download).

Appendix

* List of Irish Analogue Transmitters and frequencies (pdf download)
    * Discussion on Boards.ie ICDG forums
    * Earlier plan for 53 sites (11main, 42 infill) with coverage plots (pdf download).
    * BAI Boxer DTT Technical Proposal (53 sites) PDF
    * RTE Tender for DTT Aerials (Section 1 PDF)
    * RTE Tender for DTT Aerials (Section 2 PDF)
    * RTE Tender for DTT Aerials (Section 3 PDF)
    * Specificationfor Saorview
    * See also UHF Aerials
    * External Aerials Site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

And you're positive they weren't Divis aerials? The 7dB extra power makes a big difference compared to the extra 5 or so miles that Divis is (and directivity may make it worse), compared to Brougher. The hills around Grangegeeth in Co. Meath may stop parts of Navan getting good Divis, but maybe not the western side of Navan.

Honestly it's been a while since I've been in Navan itself so I can't remember the finer detains of aerial positioning in the town:D
    Same here! But in the times I've travelled through the town I recall seeing "northern" aerials pointing two different directions, either north-west (Brougher) or north-east (Divis), fairly easy to tell using Clermont Carn aerials as a reference. Brougher is about 10 miles closer as well and local terrain seems to favour reception better. On a car radio, FM radio from Brougher came in very well. I also remember previous posts on this board discussing that Brougher was a safer bet than Divis in Navan and some other parts of Meath, can't recall them now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

lawhec wrote: »
    Same here! But in the times I've travelled through the town I recall seeing "northern" aerials pointing two different directions, either north-west (Brougher) or north-east (Divis), fairly easy to tell using Clermont Carn aerials as a reference. Brougher is about 10 miles closer as well and local terrain seems to favour reception better. On a car radio, FM radio from Brougher came in very well. I also remember previous posts on this board discussing that Brougher was a safer bet than Divis in Navan and some other parts of Meath, can't recall them now unfortunately.

That's a variety of good reasons to prove your point:D Particularly the Clermont Carn aerial one. But are there many Group A aerials up, for Brougher or otherwise? In any case, I'm probably going to look over my own part of the world for problems before I speak up for the poor citizens of Navan!

You'd have to wonder why they assigned Divis frequencies in Drogheda and Brougher frequencies in Navan... An amazing coincidence there on ComReg's part methinks:rolleyes:

Spectrum planning doesn't presume people sticking up big aerials to deliberately get out of area reception. Maybe it should. But it's not how it's ever done. Presley/Mt Leinster is a more stupid example as these are both BIG masts on high ground with mostly water between.

Carn Hill Analogue uses same channels as Kirk O'Shots Scotland. Not a problem in Scotland or even on North Antrim coast.

But Divis Analogue Rebroadcast uses Kirk O'Shots if the local feed fails. I was working in BBC the first time this happened after Carn Hill started. RTE was perfectly rebroadcast on Divis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's not hard to get Divis reception in much of Drogheda. Most houses would have an aerial for Divis or Kilkeel and Kilkeel has the advantage of being cheaper but somewhat weaker in signal. In any case, Brougher frequencies would work no problems in Drogheda and cause interference to no-one. Navan wouldn't cause so many problems with Divis but it depends on how far the Navan signal would propagate.

Anyway I'm going off topic so I'll leave that for the moment!

Spectrum planning doesn't presume people sticking up big aerials to deliberately get out of area reception. Maybe it should. But it's not how it's ever done. Presley/Mt Leinster is a more stupid example as these are both BIG masts on high ground with mostly water between.

Carn Hill Analogue uses same channels as Kirk O'Shots Scotland. Not a problem in Scotland or even on North Antrim coast.

But Divis Analogue Rebroadcast uses Kirk O'Shots if the local feed fails. I was working in BBC the first time this happened after Carn Hill started. RTE was perfectly rebroadcast on Divis :)
    Kirk O'Shotts hasn't broadcast any TV since the BBC 405 line service closed down. Maybe you're thinking of Black Hill, Watty?

• Advertisement

What ever place it was in Scotland! :) It was a while ago.
    Could have been Darvel or Black Hill?
    I don't think Caldbeck?

I'm sure people "called it" Kirk O'Shotts, but that might have been habit. Some ot the guys in CTA looked like they had been there during Reith's Rule.

According to link, the last test was 12 January 2009 on BBC1 3am-4am & BBC2 4.30am to 5.30am. It's not possible on DTT.

"Divis via Cambret Hill which is the RBL point that takes a Scottish feed from Sandale"?
    Sandale AKA Caldbeck

In my BBC TX handbook, there is ballpoint pen X beside Cambret Hill, 16kW ERP, 44, 51, 41 and 47 H
    But Cairn Hill Longford (Today) is listed as 40 43 46 50 (800kW)
    Black Hill in 1989 book was 40 46 43 50 H (500kW).
    Darvel was 33, 26, 23, 29

So Indeed Black Hill must have been RBS/RBL source in those days as it was exactly the channels of Cairn Hill Longford.

You learn something every day. Kirk O'Shotts was I think 1000ft mast (300m). I wonder why not used for UHF?

Somewhat inaccurate. The map is NOT the RBS/RBL map.
    http://www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051527&PGSTART=0

Because bitrates and content on Freesat don't much match Freeview, The UK doesn't use satellite backup for Freeview. In that respect the Saorsat plan for DTT site feed backup is something the UK doesn't have.

RBL at Divis from Black Hill sounds feasible enough considering the location. Where I live before DTT started, tropo from Black Hill and Darvel often came through during periods in the Summer, along with FM from both sites (Black Hill often coming in at slight lifts). DTT cut out much of Darvel (co-channel) and Black Hill needed a push, first sign is co-channel with Black Mountain on Channel 5 (E37). Both Darvel and Black Hill are due to DSO next summer so that's a back-up link gone then.

There was a BBC analogue RBL test in July this year, but it covered (most of) England only. Possibly with the "Borders" region being the first to DSO, getting an analogue RBL link from NE England to Central Scotland was not sufficient.

In pre-DSO (at least) areas in the UK, the SDN multiplex is distributed by satellite, with three regional variations, Scotland, Wales & England/NI with the appropriate streams stripped out. Years ago in the public library in Omagh, there was an application document by the group that lost to BDB (later OnDigital and ITV Digital) which cited the feasibility of RBR DTT multiplexes at some of the "relay" sites that had been allocated multiplexes back in the 90's. Some were thought to be possible, but the rest were to be line fed.

I'm pretty sure that in parts of the UK where DSO has taken place, most relay stations are being RBR fed (particularly the smaller ones), if only because of the cost of line feeding some 1100 sites would be horrendous. It must somehow be possible because some self-help DTT relays do exist in areas that have been DSO'd (example).

Fibre is cheap now.

I'm sure it's mostly fibre. Apparently major sites have two fibre routes.

I posted this in september
    The list of sites due in 2010 was given to Liz McManus in the Dáil in May 2010 and posted here by the Cush some time back.

I frankly cannot see any more being done in 2010. Ryan said all of these would be done by 31 Oct but Knockmoyle went live in November and Collins in mid December.

Can we check whether Ryan was lying to Liz McManus back in May.

Black = Live
    Blue = Suspect Live
    Red = Not Live

1 MullaghanishCo. Cork
    2 TruskmoreCo. Sligo
    3 Clermont CarnCo. Louth
    4 Three RockCo. Dublin
    5 Mount LeinsterCo. Carlow
    6 Cairn HillCo. Longford
    7 KippureCo. Wicklow
    8 MagheraCo. Clare
    9 Woodcock HillCo. Limerick
    10 Spur HillCo. Cork
    11 DungarvanCo. Waterford
    12 Holywell HillCo. Donegal
    13 GreystonesCo. Wicklow
    14 CastlebarCo. Mayo
    15 Forth Mountain Co. Wexford
    16 ArklowCo. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford

18 Suir Valley Co. Waterford
    19 Waterford Co. Waterford
    20 TonabrockyCo. Galway
    21 Collins Barracks Cork City
    22 CrosshavenCo. Cork
    23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    25 DroghedaCo. Louth

and only 3 done since the summer Collins, Knockmoyle and Arklow from what I can make out.

Does anybody have any corrections to this 2010 list ???

Can we check whether Ryan was lying to Liz McManus back in May.

Black = Live
    Blue = Suspect Live
    Red = Not Live

1 MullaghanishCo. Cork
    2 TruskmoreCo. Sligo
    3 Clermont CarnCo. Louth
    4 Three RockCo. Dublin
    6 Cairn HillCo. Longford
    7 KippureCo. Wicklow
    8 MagheraCo. Clare
    10 Spur HillCo. Cork
    13 GreystonesCo. Wicklow
    14 CastlebarCo. Mayo
    16 ArklowCo. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford

19 Waterford Co. Waterford
    20 TonabrockyCo. Galway
    21 Collins Barracks Cork City
    22 CrosshavenCo. Cork
    23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    25 DroghedaCo. Louth

and only 3 done since the summer Collins, Knockmoyle and Arklow from what I can make out.

Does anybody have any corrections to this 2010 list ???

Mitchelstown started testing back in March and is reported live on UHF Ch 40.

Crosshaven started testing in Feb and was reported live on Ch 34 in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

Crosshaven started testing in Feb and was reported live on Ch 34 in May.

Crosshaven moved channel from Ch34 to Ch46 about 3 months ago .

I have a list of what is Supposed to be live "now"
    All the Black and Blue ones

Black = Live
    Blue = Supposed to be Live
    Red = Never happening/Cancelled
    Orange/Apricot= Don't know

1 Mullaghanish Co. Cork
    2 Truskmore Co. Sligo
    3 Clermont Carn Co. Louth
    4 Three Rock Co. Dublin
    5 Mount Leinster Co. Carlow
    6 Cairn Hill Co. Longford
    7 Kippure Co. Wicklow
    8 Maghera Co. Clare
    9 Woodcock Hill Co. Clare (Serves Limerick City and Environs)
    10 Spur Hill Co. Cork
    11 Dungarvan Co. Waterford
    12 Holywell Hill Co. Donegal
    13 Greystones Co. Wicklow
    14 Castlebar Co. Mayo
    16 Arklow Co. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford
    19 Waterford City Carrigpherish ? **
    20 Tonabrocky Co. Galway
    21 Collins Barracks Cork City **
    22 Crosshaven Co. Cork
    23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork (Serves Co. Limerick allegedly)
    24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    25 Drogheda Co. Louth Supposed to be cancelled
    25 Laragh Co. Wicklow I presume, not the one in Cavan, Monaghan or Fermanagh?
    26 Bantry Co. Cork

** Don't know why these are not on my list as people claim they are running.
    Also Alleged Reports of
    Clonakilty Co. Cork? Is this a mistake
    Glanmire Co. Cork? Never heard of one here either.

So I'm a slight bit confused.

Could the list below be the 24 Saorview trial launch sites. With the three new Cork sites added we are almost at the 28 sites announced by Conor Hayes at the Dáil committee presentation last July.

Black = Live
    Blue = Suspect Live
    Red = Not Live

1 MullaghanishCo. Cork
    2 TruskmoreCo. Sligo
    3 Clermont CarnCo. Louth
    4 Three RockCo. Dublin
    6 Cairn HillCo. Longford
    7 KippureCo. Wicklow
    8 MagheraCo. Clare
    10 Spur HillCo. Cork
    13 GreystonesCo. Wicklow
    14 CastlebarCo. Mayo
    16 ArklowCo. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford
    19 Waterford City (UHF Ch. 22)
    20 TonabrockyCo. Galway
    21 CrosshavenCo. Cork
    22 Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    23 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    24 Laragh Co. Wicklow

25 Collins Barracks Cork City - live Dec2010

26 Clonakilty Co. Cork
    27 Glanmire Co. Cork

(http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69596002&postcount=11)

?? DroghedaCo. Louth

I can only find 42 sites.

http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

Which ones are missing?

Or has it been cut back more?

• Advertisement

I can only find 42 sites.

http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

Which ones are missing?

Or has it been cut back more?

Ones that I know will be done because a mate checked them for me.

Belmullet/Dooncarton/Iorras ( interchangeable names)
    Achill
    Arranmore
    Casla (at RnaG HQ)
    Clifden

Gone walkabout for sure since the days of the 53 .

Galway was envisaged as probably the Hynes Building in the centre if one looks at the HighDef coverage maps for the DTT applications , then it went to Tonabrocky above the town in the end. So there is a Galway mast but it is the wrong one :)

Westport, when the list was changed from 53 to 51 Cush and I speculated on which two were dropped and I said that one of Belmullet Achill and Westport would be dropped.....and it was Westport.

Advertisement