Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Return to cold next week - Potentially Severe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

dasa29 wrote: »
    there is alot of stuff still around mullingar, the canal is still pretty frozen and a lot of footpaths and estate roads are still bad.

On friday the nra told westmeath coco to limit the amount of salt used from 35t instead of the normal 100t.

"Westmeath County Council has been requested by the National Roads Authority to restrict its usage of salt to 35 tonnes per night for the foreseeable future. This is a severe restriction as 100 tonnes of salt is required to treat the identified Priority Routes within the county.

In order to comply with this restriction, it is necessary for the Council to further prioritise routes for treatment and in this regard, ONLY NATIONAL PRIMARY AND NATIONAL SECONDARY ROUTES WILL BE TREATED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. Furthermore, these routes will be treated with a mixture of salt and sand, which is not as effective a de-icer as pure salt. Therefore, motorists are strongly advised to exercise extreme care whenever there is a chance that ice may be present and to assume at all times that surfaces have not been treated. Severe hills that are prone to ice may also be treated on some Regional Routes.

It should be noted that the main streets in the larger towns that have traditionally been treated will not be treated until further notice. Therefore, motorists should take extra care in urban areas."

I got an identially worded circular from Wicklow county council other day. The next day I go one saying gritting will be curtailed until further notice as they had very little grit left.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yas are all a bunch of alcos!....hahaha!

what else can we do man, snowmageddon is on the way, we'll be trapped in our homes, no gritters in sight, drink is all we'll have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

lucy2010 wrote: »
    I got an identially worded circular from Wicklow county council other day. The next day I go one saying gritting will be curtailed until further notice as they had very little grit left.....

I strongly susected that Mayo County Council had run out of grit when I noticed they were spreading porridge oats on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

How does the Greenland Express compare to the Polar Express ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

snow ghost wrote: »
    Worse than Prince I fear maq:

Could be more relevant..............for snow and cars.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just from a quick look at the latest charts, Donegal is going to get some serious falls of snow from about midday Thursday.

Hope Graces7 has the supplies in. !!

snow ghost wrote: »
    I strongly susected that Mayo County Council had run out of grit when I noticed they were spreading porridge oats on the roads.

if the council are like the footballers, they'll still think its the best grit in the country :D, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Jake1 wrote: »
    Well Iano, are ye sitting down... :)

MT said theres a greenland express coming :) take a read, and Im sure you'll be salivating like most of us here :)

There were sparks flying from my keyboard as I was reading that. The same happened earlier when I came accross his severe weather alert on IWO. Must try and keep my mouth closed in future, if that happens too often I'll start a fire!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

The Greenland Train :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Advertisement

The Greenland Train :D

i prefer the greenland express

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

what else can we do man, snowmageddon is on the way, we'll be trapped in our homes, no gritters in sight, drink is all we'll have.

Well for me , a person who doesnt drink , ill be out IN THE SNOW!, AS U ALL SHOULD BE WHEN IT ARRIVES!....Building igloos! WOOO! :D

Ha ha , my family keep looking at me like Im nuts, I keep saying too them, jaze, wait till next week, and muttering doom under my breath :)

But too hell with them in a handbasket, I shall finish my shopping early this week. I'll show them who is nuts.;)

(mwah hahaha! ):D

:o:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I don't think this was posted earlier - apologies if it was. The Met seem to be playing it down...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1212/breaking28.html

Snow set to make a return
    OLIVIA KELLY and PADDY CLANCY

Snow showers are set to make a return to the north and north west by the end of the week as temperatures drop back to freezing or low single figures, according to Met Éireann.

Early indications suggest “extremely cold” weather in store next weekend, following relatively mild mid-week conditions Met Éireann forecaster Jim O’Brien said.

“It will certainly be getting much colder by the end of the week with temperatures dropping by day to the low single figures. For Friday we’re looking at temperatures of zero to plus four, and Saturday and Sunday are looking much the same.”

While temperatures will once again plummet, reaching minus five at night on Friday, most of the country is expected to be free from snow. While the north and north west is set to see wintery showers of snow, sleet or hail, early forecasts suggest that “blanket coverage” of snow isn’t likely, Mr O’Brien said.

Day time temperatures up to and including Wednesday, while still below normal for the time of year, should remain high enough for the thaw which set in last week to continue. However any snow remaining on higher ground is unlikely to melt in the coming days.

There will be lots of dry weather for the first few days of the week, but then rain will pass over the country on Thursday, most likely falling as wintery showers in the north and north west.

Thursday, despite the showers, is likely to be one of the milder days of the week with temperatures reaching five to eight degrees. However temperatures are expected to plummet on Thursday night to as low as minus five, bringing a severe frost and risk of icy roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Duiske wrote: »
    Just from a quick look at the latest charts, Donegal is going to get some serious falls of snow from about midday Thursday.

Hope Graces7 has the supplies in. !!

Graces moved to the south of Cork to get away from this sort of thing :pac:

Its looking good for us still, the latest gfs hasnt changed much, still shows the cold air for Thursday but it shows no real breakdown so it looks like it might stick around for a while.

Still hard to know what sort of precipitation we'll get but we'll inevitably get some showers so at the moment it looks great for some decent snow

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Well for me , a person who doesnt drink , ill be out IN THE SNOW!, AS U ALL SHOULD BE WHEN IT ARRIVES!....Building igloos! WOOO! :D

you wont be able to get out of your house, look at all the potential warnings, snow in bucket loads, freezing temps, polar express's, greenland express's, no doubt we''ll have an arctic and siberian express as well, you step outside that door, you're done for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Hi, roads pretty bad in kilkenny at the min. Should be fun in the mornin. cant wait for the weekend lots more snow hopefully. bring it on ,or am I being too optmistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So it seems someone in Met Eireann enjoys the snow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

you wont be able to get out of your house, look at all the potential warnings, snow in bucket loads, freezing temps, polar express's, greenland express's, no doubt we''ll have an arctic and siberian express as well, you step outside that door, you're done for :D

Dont worry... IM used to it ... :)

26344_361439926717_631736717_5453283_3359362_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Anyone know if there is a late weekly forecast on RTE tonight :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

hopefully plenty of snow on the way.. few days of snow would be sweet around x-mas.. a foot of it would do the job....:D:);):cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yes Yes at last, Kerry looks like its gonna get blasted with snow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So it seems someone in Met Eireann enjoys the snow:D
    What happened Nacho?

MTs forecast seems great, except the cold supply will get cut off part.

The snow wont get as bad as this! :D

139178.jpg

139179.jpg

139180.jpg

139181.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    What happened Nacho?

MTs forecast seems great, except the cold supply will get cut off part.

I was reading a newspaper article about Jean Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DFS UTD

Yea
    The snow wont get as bad as this! :D

Amazing Photo's

139178.jpg

139179.jpg

139180.jpg

139181.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Jake1 wrote: »
    Ha ha , my family keep looking at me like Im nuts, I keep saying too them, jaze, wait till next week, and muttering doom under my breath :)

But too hell with them in a handbasket, I shall finish my shopping early this week. I'll show them who is nuts.;)

(mwah hahaha! ):D

:o:o:o

I'm the same, got all my shopping done in town on Saturday morning, filled the cupboard with bags of coal and kindling. My family think i'm a bit of a loon but i'd much rather be safe than sorry. although it looks like I'll be short a present from Mr Robinson as he always goes shopping on Christmas Eve...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

WolfeIRE wrote: »

So since the cold air is going to be cut off once the coldest air comes here ,where does that leave us all, will that mean a shortish cold period?
    Im detecting downgrades :(

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

According to the first alert today the low pressure system (purple one) would develop over svalbard (north Norway) and then head south westerly over ireland. But according to the synoptic analysis a different low pressure system developing over baffin bay is forced easterly and then southerly by a huge following high pressure system. Which of these two low pressure systems are responsible for the pressure system over Ireland on Thursday? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Pangea wrote: »
    So since the cold air is going to be cut off once the coldest air comes here ,where does that leave us all, will that mean a shortish cold period?
    Im detecting downgrades :(
    No pangea. No definite indication of an end to this cold spell yet. Fergal was referring to a NE stream of air being cut off. Weather models indicate cold will stay in place but not necessarily driven by a cold NE airmass

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement