Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion / Heavy snow & Blizzards continue - 02/12/2010

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Supercell wrote: »
    How do i make a webcam, this is mental, you have to see it to believe it!

You should see it here in the Northeast of Dublin. Insane. Deepest snow I have ever seen here on the coast and it's going stronger then ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Will anybody get to work tomorrow i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Comer1

Is this going to hit, and what will it do?

Don't know anything about weather patterns:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

I was in town for a good part of the afternoon. Absolutely epic. Then I came back to Donabate expecting the fail of the last few days to be still going on. What a great surprise to see the whiteout we have here. An absolute privilege to see this after all these years. Yes I know the overall amounts in 1982 were greater, but this is the closest I've seen since then and there's a long night ahead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

darkman2 wrote: »
    You should see it here in the Northeast of Dublin. Insane. Deepest snow I have ever seen here on the coast and it's going stronger then ever!

Yes, especially in Drumcondra- it's actually crazy!

Have you told su campu ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

any news on the change on wind direction because we are missing a serious amount of stuff in the south east thats ending up in the irish sea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Here is the latest radar :eek:

dec22.png

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Just listening to the control tower here, they are trying to open the runway for 18:30 for departures and 19:10 for arrivals, but it's still snowing on the runway, they are doing a braking action test on the runway at the minute, they don't know whether they can open it yet...

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2

When they talk about braking action test I picture a couple of DAA employees in a Subaru STI doing handbrake turns..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The incredible thing is when this stops in a few hours, the winds will be off the land so thetemperature is going to fall off a cliff. Tmorrow is going to be an interesting day. Dublin city center will be like xmas day - deserted!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Fizzix wrote: »
    http://imgur.com/a/39Isi/1#QptKb

Drumcondra and its still going strong.

In Drumcondra myself, steady snow most of the day. Looking out at the canal and the ice that's been there since last Friday now has a deep layer of snow :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Supercell wrote: »
    The incredible thing is when this stops in a few hours, the winds will be off the land so thetemperature is going to fall off a cliff. Tmorrow is going to be an interesting day. Dublin city center will be like xmas day - deserted!

Dublin wont be anything like christmas as there will actually be snow . .:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

It's happening again.........huge flakes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

bauderline wrote: »
    When they talk about braking action test I picture a couple of DAA employees in a Subaru STI doing handbrake turns..... ;)

I would have thought that was seriously overestimating the competence of DAA workers!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

pic earlier today - any sign of a thaw coming?

Will anybody get to work tomorrow i wonder?

Unfortunately I think time is running out for Northeast Dub - might just queeze another hour or two then the Southeast of the country getting hit on the coast. Doubt we will get near midnight out of this streamer. Hope we do though! This is an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

linguist wrote: »
    I would have thought that was seriously overestimating the competence of DAA workers!

infairness ... the fact that the airport is actually operational at all today is a credit to these workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Holy crap, :eek:

Cleared the deck again at 4:30 and have another 1.5 inches since then. Gotta be coming up on a foot in total for the week.

Have 20 inch drifts as well!

Gonna head out for a walk around now. Probably wont be any carnage on the roads like Tuesday though. Last night was fierce quiet on the roads.

If its like this in the City Centre I can only imagine what its like!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Unfortunately I think time is running out for Northeast Dub - might just queeze another hour or two then the Southeast of the country getting hit on the coast. Doubt we will get near midnight out of this streamer. Hope we do though! This is an event.

as far as kilkenny do u think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

is there a change in the wind direction that will favour the south east

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Is your snow heading my way by any chance ?

smokin ace wrote: »
    is there a change in the wind direction that will favour the south east

Yes, slightly more Northerly of the wind direction now but only on coastal fringes.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭laurence997

Braking test under way, and it'll take bout another 20 mins for the results according to the ATC;)

channaigh wrote: »
    as far as kilkenny do u think

No. Sorry. You have to wait till tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Was out there for a while. Snow went way past my ankles in some parts. Never seen anything like it. And it's still chucking it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Comer1 wrote: »
    Is this going to hit, and what will it do?

Don't know anything about weather patterns:rolleyes:

Holy crap. We in for alot of action if the wind changes to a north western direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

Yes, slightly more Northerly of the wind direction now but only on coastal fringes.

I'm being a bit greedy here but is there any chance of more snow for Blanchardstown, I only have about 6 or 7 inches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

City centre in that little gap right now on the radar..fear not...its a temporary respite!!

137813.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Sonovagun wrote: »
    Holy crap. We in for alot of action if the wind changes to a north western direction.

what you mean we?? dublin only??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement