Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest place to buy contact lenses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Read comment 2 on this thread see if it applies to you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056046927

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Was just about to head into town to order some daily disposable lens from specsavers when I noticed this thread?

Just wondering guys what info I'll need when ordering online.
    There's numbers wrote on my lens but I dunno whats what,so will I have to go to the opticians to get the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    Was just about to head into town to order some daily disposable lens from specsavers when I noticed this thread?

There's numbers wrote on my lens but I dunno whats what,so will I have to go to the opticians to get the info?
    I bought contacts online for the first time last week and all the info you need is on the box of the lenses that you have. That's all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

If your prescription is for your Optician's own brand lenses you can find the equivalent lenses under their original manufacturer name here. As the previous poster said the relevant numbers should be on the box but if you don't have them ask specsavers for a copy of your contact lens prescription - you're entitled to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Anybody else get hit by customs when buying from Daysoft?

I ordered a pile from here
    http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/IE/CountryHomepage.aspx
    and got a €60 customs charge as they came from the US.

Edit: I just got a call from the guy in Daysoft offering to refund the customs charges which is great customer service. But then when I was talking to him I realised it wasn't a shipment from Daysoft I was charged against. So now I feel like an idiot and want to fix my post.

And I've put Daysoft in my bookmarks so I remember them the next time I'm ordering.

• Advertisement

Daysoft only despatch from Jersey and you should not have incurred those charges. Several people on here have bought from Daysoft, including me, and nobody has reported such charges. It may well be that there is an error at the Irish customs end of things and charges were wrongly applied. I would contact Daysoft and see what the story is. In my experience their customer service has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i never have and from here http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/IE/FAQ.aspx
    Do your charges include taxes and duties?
    The price you pay is the delivered price, to your home or office, including applicable taxes and duties.

i suggest you contact them here to find out why (could impact a lot of us here)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Squiggle wrote: »
    Daysoft only despatch from Jersey and you should not have incurred those charges.

I've just ammended my post above. Daysoft rang me (after reading this thread) to offer a refund of the customs charge. Then when I was looking for the charge I realised it wasn't a Daysoft shipment I was charged for.

So no charges from customs and spectacular customer service so I'll order my next batch from them.

The company who did cost me for customs was Eurolens.ie
    Already mentioned on Boards now that I searched for it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055704867&highlight=eurolens.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

That's what I call service.

Just looking at Daysoft now. My wife uses J&J 1-day Acuvue Define (previously only available in SE Asia, now also in the UK from Boots).

Would Daysoft be any good does anyone know? I'm afraid I don't know very much about contact lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

I'm gonna switch from monthlies to dailies. I'm just sick of using the solution, and a lost contact lens (which happens frequently!) works out a little too much for me. Plus, I'm using them less and less now.

Would I be better off staying with the opticians or ordering online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

E.T. wrote: »
    I ordered contacts from opticalinstitute.com lately. Great price but they took ages to arrive - over 2 weeks from when I ordered them. It took a full week for them to even be posted and then another 8 days to arrive. I would order from them in future because their acuvue advance are €35 (!!) cheaper than my optician but I'd order in plenty of time.

Just an update on this - ordered from them again in the middle of October. Still no sign of even a shipping email last week so I emailed them and was told my contacts were on backorder (normal brand and prescription, nothing special) and that they'd be shipped today. Still no email today, I'm really unimpressed.

I ordered 2 and a half weeks ago, and from shipping email to delivery last time was 8 days so I'm just going to cancel this order as I've run out of contacts and am going to have to buy them from the local (staggeringly expensive) optician now. Very annoyed at the poor customer service, if they'd let me know there was a delay I'd have cancelled long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

I wonder is it possible to buy lenses somewhere online without prescription? I don't know where it is but I need lenses. I'm new to lenses and surprised over this. Thanks!

padyjoe wrote: »
    I wonder is it possible to buy lenses somewhere online without prescription? I don't know where it is but I need lenses. I'm new to lenses and surprised over this. Thanks!
    You want to get contact lenses without having visited an optician first?

Or you can't find your prescription but want to buy lenses?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Squiggle wrote: »
    If your prescription is for your Optician's own brand lenses you can find the equivalent lenses under their original manufacturer name here. As the previous poster said the relevant numbers should be on the box but if you don't have them ask specsavers for a copy of your contact lens prescription - you're entitled to it.

Ya my brand is Easyvision premium one day from specsavers.

On the side of the box it reads -2.25 8.6
    ct 0.100 DIA13.8

Would that be the info I need?

Sorry for that! The prescription missing, I visited an optician before.Thanks!
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    You want to get contact lenses without having visited an optician first?

Or you can't find your prescription but want to buy lenses?

Well you'd need a recent prescription which you can ask your optician for. It wouldn't be advisable to use a very old prescription though.

I'm going to search for my prescription then. It's only a month old. Cheers!

padyjoe wrote: »
    I'm going to search for my prescription then. It's only a month old. Cheers!

Ah if it's only a month old just ring your optician, think they're entitled by law to give you a copy.

Ya my brand is Easyvision premium one day from specsavers.

On the side of the box it reads -2.25 8.6
    ct 0.100 DIA13.8

Would that be the info I need?

Yes. You know the lenses you are after so you will only have to select the strength ie PWR -2.25 during the ordering process. The BC 8.6 and DIA 13.8 are the base curve and diameter of the lenses you are buying. The CT 0.100 is the centre thickness of the lens but you more than likely won't come across that at all when you are ordering on line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amy21

One say moist for me are the best, the accuve ones, plus there made in limerick so supporting our own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Are these daysoft contact lenses safe to use? I mean Iv been using focus dailies for over a year now and find them great, usually buy from 1800-contacts in the US,

but daysoft looks ridiculously cheap, are they a solid alternative, seems way way to cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Can anyone help me? I'm looking for an alternative brand to Specsavers' Easyvision Lacrima monthlies
    BC: 8.4
    DIA: 14.1

I have been searching online but can't find anything and was wondering if anyone here had been using these and found a suitable brand for cheaper online?

I just ordered off daysoft lenses, a months supply for ten euro!!! wow i usually pay 35 with specsavers

Could anyone tell me abotu daysoft lenses, theyre experience with them?

My order was processed but I sent an email to them Saturday and havent got a reply yet today

Anyone?

shortys94 wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me abotu daysoft lenses, theyre experience with them?

My order was processed but I sent an email to them Saturday and havent got a reply yet today

Did they say the lenses were dispatched? Usually you get an email confirming the order and then a second one saying your order has been processed and your daysoft lenses are being despatched ! I have always found their customer service excellent. If you read back over this thread you will read all you need to know about daysoft, and it's mostly positive.

Yea thanks alot, they just emailed me earlier, the adverse weather kept them out of the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Cadoche

I use monthlies and just ordered 12 months supply of Air Optix for €133, incl solution.

www.123optic.com

I used to use getlenses.ie but now they've changed to UK based, and are ridiculously more expensive.

I ordered over 2 weeks now, no email, no replies, money taken and no package. Stay away people!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Cadoche wrote: »
    I ordered over 2 weeks now, no email, no replies, money taken and no package. Stay away people!!!

Any response from 123optic.com yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 thefelix

I've used www.misterspex.co.uk so far, who are quick to deliver and pretty cheap, but you have to pay delivery. Great service though with emails and a free callback if you want it.

Advertisement