Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Cars... Toyota??????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

You could be right about the expense, but since when did expense matter when it came to State cars?

(Although I am sure a big discount comes into play for the bulk, especially in these times)

When ''our countries leaders'' wanted something more comfortable to sit there arses on.

But joking aside I wouldn't be surprised if the Laguna was considered at the very early stages and was then given the tumbs down for what ever reason i.e performance (lack of bigger engines as the 2.0L is rare compared to the 1.5L), possibly un-able to buy in bulk and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

Which renault dealership do you work for?

My sister owns a megane scenic. Costing her a fortune with electrical problems.

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/tuv-model/renault-megane

had a 04 laguna myself imported, no trouble for 18 months, then in the last year clutch went twice radio/gps intermittently working, other electrical jiggles and both front window regulators :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭pah

You could be right about the expense, but since when did expense matter when it came to State cars?

(Although I am sure a big discount comes into play for the bulk, especially in these times)

in the case of patrol cars expense is ALWAYS a determining factor

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hobbitt

pah wrote: »

The fleet sales section of Skoda.co.uk gives good reviews of the Octavia and Superb, especially the 170bhp diesel models, written by Met driving instructors.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Hmmm

Sounds like someone has been listening to all his mechanic buddies, the ones who never work on Renaults.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that other manufacturers do not have gremlins?

Well your assumptions are completely incorrect . . .I dont have any buddies who are mechanics . . .but I have driven Renaults in the course of my duty . .

Non Stop Electrical Problems . . . .Dash Boards like Christmas trees and cars constantly grounded and out of use due to these issues . . . .renault traffic vans too . . .we had one, had constant problems with it. Never had any such problems with the old transits or the new ones.

Issues I've NEVER had with the dozens and dozens of different Mondeos I've driven year in year out.

The Laguna isn't fit to sit in the Mondeo's shade as a Patrol Car.

( and no I dont own a mondeo, I own a VW Passat . . .which wouldn't be a patch on a Mondeo as a Patrol Car either )

• Advertisement

pah wrote: »

So is who you buy it from. The Mahony family, with strong Fianna Fail connections, distribute Toyota cars and forklifts in Ireland. O'Flaherty's only do Mercedes now that VW has directly taken over selling all the VAG group cars here, including Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Which renault dealership do you work for?

My sister owns a megane scenic. Costing her a fortune with electrical problems.

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/tuv-model/renault-megane

And your sister's make is the only one that has problems?
    mle1324 wrote: »
    When ''our countries leaders'' wanted something more comfortable to sit there arses on.

But joking aside I wouldn't be surprised if the Laguna was considered at the very early stages and was then given the tumbs down for what ever reason i.e performance (lack of bigger engines as the 2.0L is rare compared to the 1.5L), possibly un-able to buy in bulk and price.

I don't have any experience with the 1.5dCi, so can't comment. What size engine are the Avensis that are being ordered?
    hobbitt wrote: »
    The fleet sales section of Skoda.co.uk gives good reviews of the Octavia and Superb, especially the 170bhp diesel models, written by Met driving instructors.

I was originally going to put down the Superb ahead of the Octavia, but I thought I would get skewered for saying the top of the range Skoda.

Corcioch wrote: »
    Well your assumptions are completely incorrect . . .I dont have any buddies who are mechanics . . .but I have driven Renaults in the course of my duty . .

Good for you, I'll bet your a$$ enjoyed the sumptuous seats that Renaults all come with.
    Non Stop Electrical Problems . . . .Dash Boards like Christmas trees and cars constantly grounded and out of use due to these issues . . . .renault traffic vans too . . .we had one, had constant problems with it. Never had any such problems with the old transits or the new ones.

Once again I put it to you, there are no other makes with problems? Ever?
    Issues I've NEVER had with the dozens and dozens of different Mondeos I've driven year in year out.

I would be skeptical of this...
    The Laguna isn't fit to sit in the Mondeo's shade as a Patrol Car.

If I am right in saying that the Laguna, and specifically the latest version, has never been used in your area, you cannot say this. Simple.
    ( and no I dont own a mondeo, I own a VW Passat . . .which wouldn't be a patch on a Mondeo as a Patrol Car either )

It is strange how a person would pick one of the most unreliable cars in recent history for his daily and would not pick the workhorse that has 'never' given hassle.

There's logic in there somewhere I am told.

So is who you buy it from. The Mahony family, with strong Fianna Fail connections, distribute Toyota cars and forklifts in Ireland. O'Flaherty's only do Mercedes now that VW has directly taken over selling all the VAG group cars here, including Skoda.

hmmm

*strokes chin*

A favour from an outgoing government? Should we move this to politics? :eek:

Good for you, I'll bet your a$$ enjoyed the sumptuous seats that Renaults all come with.
    Once again I put it to you, there are no other makes with problems? Ever?
    I would be skeptical of this...
    If I am right in saying that the Laguna, and specifically the latest version, has never been used in your area, you cannot say this. Simple.
    It is strange how a person would pick one of the most unreliable cars in recent history for his daily and would not pick the workhorse that has 'never' given hassle.
    There's logic in there somewhere I am told.

I dont know what your vested interest in Renault is . . . .or where your smug attitude comes from . . . .

( your statement about the VW Passat says a huge amount about you, its purile, cheap and incorrect )

But the experiences of persons who actually know what they are talking about are that Renaults used by AGS before were simply not up to the standard . . .

. . . .and came no where close to the Ford Mondeo in terms of reliability, road holding, build quality and an ability to take the punishment ES vheicles take week in week out.

Who gives a damn about the seats in the car, its a patrol car . . .not a limo.

Btw; why would anyone pick a workhorse car for their own family car?? . .what a completely stupid idea. My Passat is far more comfortable than a Mondeo . . .but a Mondeo makes a far far better patrol car. . . .I dont need a workhorse to get my family from A to B, to go to the shops, visit folks etc.

An no, I have never in 200/ 300 + kms a day in Ford Mondeo Patrol Cars had an issue arise with one. Thats the truth, not a tale from some vested interest, I'll leave that to you. . . . .but im sure there have been issues . . .but no where near the scale associated with the reno's we used before . . . .thank god we got rid of them!!!!!!!

I have colleagues at work who prefer the Ford Mondeo 3.0 to the Volvo's XC70's.

I have colleagues at work who prefer the Mondeo 2.0 to the BMW 3 series 2.0 they drive.

I used to drive a Volvo S40 Patrol Car . . .wayy prefer the Mondeo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

An no, I have never in 200/ 300 + kms a day in Ford Mondeo Patrol Cars had an issue arise with one. Thats the truth, not a tale from some vested interest, I'll leave that to you. . . . .but im sure there have been issues . . .but no where near the scale associated with the reno's we used before . . . .thank god we got rid of them!!!!!!!

I have colleagues at work who prefer the Ford Mondeo 3.0 to the Volvo's XC70's.

I have colleagues at work who prefer the Mondeo 2.0 to the BMW 3 series 2.0 they drive.

I used to drive a Volvo S40 Patrol Car . . .wayy prefer the Mondeo.

+1

Same as....only thing that goes in a ford is the usual use ables, brake discs, tyres, and window wipers.

Very good on clutch, tyres etc..........unusual for cars that take so much abuse.

I wouldnt touch a renault, Toyota or Volvo with a barge pole for a polis car.....however they are excellent family cars

I dont know what your vested interest in Renault is . . . .or where your smug attitude comes from . . . .

Not a vested interest, just having a laugh at someone who doesn't like Renaults.
    ( your statement about the VW Passat says a huge amount about you, its purile, cheap and incorrect )

No, it's not, and I can attest to that. The newest Passats have horrendous build quality problems and electrical glitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭legallyblonde86

While they're negotiating this kinda crap, they should have worked into the deal that toyota or whatever palce sticks the markings on the cars, have to put a cage in there, too.

Have never travelled in a patrol car, but it seems far too dangerous to have nothing between Gardaì and criminals.

it is... try gettin kicked in the head while tryin to drive!!!!

And your sister's make is the only one that has problems?

I don't have any experience with the 1.5dCi, so can't comment. What size engine are the Avensis that are being ordered?

I was originally going to put down the Superb ahead of the Octavia, but I thought I would get skewered for saying the top of the range Skoda.

Enter "police* on the Skoda.co.uk site search button, to get the individual Met reports on various models, including the Superb 3.2 v6 with 4 wheel drive, the ultimate Q car !

Not a vested interest, just having a laugh at someone who doesn't like Renaults.

No, it's not, and I can attest to that. The newest Passats have horrendous build quality problems and electrical glitches.

You see that was the problem with your purile comments about the Passat, made in reply as soon as i mentioned what car I drove . .

. . .you have no idea what mark/ model Passat I drive. It could be a Mark 1 Passat from 1973 for all you know . . . .or a 1988 B3, a Bullet Proof Car.

And I dont drive one of the newest model Passats . . . .Ill leave the purchase of brand new cars to the Bankers and such.

+1

Same as....only thing that goes in a ford is the usual use ables, brake discs, tyres, and window wipers.

Very good on clutch, tyres etc..........unusual for cars that take so much abuse.

I wouldnt touch a renault, Toyota or Volvo with a barge pole for a polis car.....however they are excellent family cars

Thanks, someone who actually knows what they are on about.

Enter "police* on the Skoda.co.uk site search button, to get the individual Met reports on various models, including the Superb 3.2 v6 with 4 wheel drive, the ultimate Q car !

AGS have Skodas . . . ..Skoda Suberb and all.

Dont know for sure but I'd reckon the 2.0L diesel, anything below a 1.9 wouldnt really be suitable for traffic dutys.

You see that was the problem with your purile comments about the Passat, made in reply as soon as i mentioned what car I drove . .

. . .you have no idea what mark/ model Passat I drive. It could be a Mark 1 Passat from 1973 for all you know . . . .or a 1988 B3, a Bullet Proof Car.

And I dont drive one of the newest model Passats . . . .Ill leave the purchase of brand new cars to the Bankers and such.

Are we buying old model Avensis under this contract?

Didn't think so.

Are we buying old model Avensis under this contract?

Didn't think so.

Are you aware of the feedback from the people who tested them for AGS? No. There is only one reason they are being purchased. Price. Why did Ford and Opel supply estates for the tender and then Toyota win with a saloon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rialtas

I would have thought the new 2011 Mondeo Eco-Boosts, with 2.2 TDCi 200 bhp or 240 bhp 2.0 Petrol would have been no-brainers for this. But sure, common sense is a scare commodity these days.

http://www.gmotors.ie/blog/2011-ford-mondeo-gets-a-new-237-hp-ecoboost-turbo-petrol-engine/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The word you are looking for is puerile. It comes from puer, the Latin word for boy and means childish.

I had in the past suggested that every Garda car be a Ford Mondeo. From 1.6 to 3.0. Saloon, estate and hatchback. 4x4 and 2x4. I can't think of a task for a police car that one of the Mondeos cannot do. Get a good rate on purchasing them and have Garda mechanics service them. All parts are interchangeable and new parts can be bought in bulk at a discount. Gardai will be trained using the vehicles that they will drive in everyday usage. The Garda fleet managers could negotiate with Ford Motor Company directly.

It's essentially the same model which Ryanair employed in using only 737s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

dont the gards posess 2 evos??:D

Rialtas wrote: »
    I would have thought the new 2011 Mondeo Eco-Boosts, with 2.2 TDCi 200 bhp or 240 bhp 2.0 Petrol would have been no-brainers for this. But sure, common sense is a scare commodity these days.

http://www.gmotors.ie/blog/2011-ford-mondeo-gets-a-new-237-hp-ecoboost-turbo-petrol-engine/

Think the days of buying petrol cars are gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

The word you are looking for is puerile. It comes from puer, the Latin word for boy and means childish.

I had in the past suggested that every Garda car be a Ford Mondeo. From 1.6 to 3.0. Saloon, estate and hatchback. 4x4 and 2x4. I can't think of a task for a police car that one of the Mondeos cannot do. Get a good rate on purchasing them and have Garda mechanics service them. All parts are interchangeable and new parts can be bought in bulk at a discount. Gardai will be trained using the vehicles that they will drive in everyday usage. The Garda fleet managers could negotiate with Ford Motor Company directly.

It's essentially the same model which Ryanair employed in using only 737s.

Ah but not going to tender goes against the spirit of fair trade in the EU. :rolleyes:

I do agree however that it would have made much more sense to have gone down this road bar suggesting that they use the 1.6 Focus instead of the 1.6 Mondeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭trackcar

I was told by a person in Ford that price Toyota was selling the Avensis for was less than Ford could have supplied a focus for

AGS have Skodas . . . ..Skoda Suberb and all.

No Skoda dealer has been able to give me a test run in the Superb V6 4wd. Special order only, no demos available. They would supply various cages for the estates, dogs or prisoners (the wife).:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Ah but not going to tender goes against the spirit of fair trade in the EU. :rolleyes:

I do agree however that it would have made much more sense to have gone down this road bar suggesting that they use the 1.6 Focus instead of the 1.6 Mondeo.

Well, the whole point of my argument, completley not supported by anything other than supposition and blind estimation, is that the savings made in maintenance, training, livery design etc by keeping it all Mondeo should make up for the extra cost to buy Mondeo instead of Focus or Fiesta.

As for the tender process, if the likes of the vehicles currently fulfilled by the Transit and Ranger were included, it would rule Toyota ineligible for no van and Renault ineligible for no crew cab flat bed.

The Garda fleet managers could negotiate with Ford Motor Company directly.

Highlighting spelling mistakes could be considered childish. Anyway, the fleet managers don't just head down the road to the nearest dealer. The motor companies have departments that deal with fleet supplies like this one.
    As for the tender process, if the likes of the vehicles currently fulfilled by the Transit and Ranger were included, it would rule Toyota ineligible for no van and Renault ineligible for no crew cab flat bed.

You forgetting the Hiace and the Hilux?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rialtas

mle1324 wrote: »
    Think the days of buying petrol cars are gone now.

Ah ya, fair enough, but the eco-boost engines give approx. a 20% decrease in fuel consumption. That would bring it close to the consumption of a standard diesel. In addition, they give massive increases in performance over a standard 2.0 petrol, so you'd be getting near to BMW 530d / Volvo T5 power at a Mondeo price. And unlike back along, when the Mondeo's and the like weren't able to lay the power down due to poor dynamics, today's models are well able for it.

Even the 200bhp Tdci diesel would be a cracking model for the fleet and would cover most TC and district requirements?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement