Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Cars... Toyota??????

Options
  • 09-11-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

02/11/2010
    Toyota to Supply Gardaí Fleet
    Toyota Ireland today has confirmed it has won the tender to supply a fleet of cars to the Garda Síochána over the next two years.

Toyota Ireland said it believed the Avensis’ quality, performance, durability and reliability were key factors in winning the contract. The company claimed the car's attributes were especially pertinent given the rigorous demands Garda cars are required to withstand on a day-to-day basis.

Other winning factors included the low cost of ownership and after-sales support from the dealer network.

Commenting on the announcement, David Shannon, Managing Director of Toyota Ireland said: “Toyota Ireland is proud to have been chosen as a key vehicle supplier for the Garda Síochána. When it comes to dependability, quality, performance and value Toyota leads the way, and the success in winning this contract is a testament to the confidence the Toyota brand inspires.”

The delivery of new vehicles will commence before the end of the year, 2010.

The Toyota Avensis is a large family car built in Derbyshire, United Kingdom. Gardaí will be supplied with the third generation Toyota Avensis (model code T270), which was revealed at the 2008 Paris Motor Show.

The new engines feature more power and lower CO2 emissions. The new Avensis received a five star rating under the latest Euro NCAP ratings scheme with an 81% overall score and a 90% score for adult occupant safety.

Also today, the Government has signed an agreement with Toyota to deliver its new Prius Plug-In Hybrid vehicle to the Irish market.

The vehicle, which is the first Toyota hybrid to use lithium-ion batteries, will be available on a trial basis in advance of its full launch to the market in 2012.

(DW/GK)

article link
    >http://www.build.ie/national_news.asp?newsid=118684

How was this kept so quiet???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It wasn't kept quiet. I read about it on Boards at least a week ago. I also have seen the picture of the marked 10 reg Avensis outside a Toyota garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Cue pun about braking news...

While they're negotiating this kinda crap, they should have worked into the deal that toyota or whatever palce sticks the markings on the cars, have to put a cage in there, too.

Have never travelled in a patrol car, but it seems far too dangerous to have nothing between Gardaì and criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Toyota Ireland said it believed the Avensis’ quality, performance,

I lol'd:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Do they not use vans for prisoner transport? Or is that only in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Del2005 wrote: »
    Do they not use vans for prisoner transport? Or is that only in the UK?

Vans aren't always available, a lot of the time the car is used for prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Toyota Ireland said it believed the Avensis’ quality, performance,

I lol'd:)

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

It wasn't kept quiet. I read about it on Boards at least a week ago. I also have seen the picture of the marked 10 reg Avensis outside a Toyota garage.

where did you read about the article and the official toyota line on boards, i'd like to read it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Lads , I know next to nothing about cars but I've heard the Avensis is a comfortable and reliable one. You seem shocked it was chosen as a Garda fleet car - why ? Sorry if I'm asking the bleeding obvious :confused:

You have heard about the Toyota recalls haven't you?

And comfort should not be high on the list for Garda cars. Performance would be more important surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Handling is poor compared to the mondeo and reliability is surprisingly shoddy with gearboxes especially being known to pop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

the petrol avensis is also very light, and doesn't feel comfortable when cornering, and the power steering is far to light
    The mondeo feels a lot more stable in cornering at at speed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Not a member, but have drove both high end versions of the mondeo and the avensis, mondeo is streets ahead in terms on (lay mans) view of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭pah

mondeo was recommended by the driving school i think but at the end of the day it came down to price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Not a member, but have drove both high end versions of the mondeo and the avensis, mondeo is streets ahead in terms on (lay mans) view of performance.

wont be the high end version that we'll be getting

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

i've driven both and would agree that the mondeo is much easier to handle. i would say the only consideration when the gardaí made the decision on which supplier to go with, was the price. toyota obviously came in cheaper and thats all that matters to the powers that be!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Laugh if you want lads, but I'm very impressed with the Skoda Octavias we have...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

psni wrote: »
    Laugh if you want lads, but I'm very impressed with the Skoda Octavias we have...

Id pick an octavia over an avensis any day! big powerful solid and well built cars (octavia) and you have th evrs model which ive been told is an animal of a car.
    Toyota are good cars but can they stand up to the abuse? and anyway the mondeos are much nicer looking car :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

stimpson wrote: »
    You have heard about the Toyota recalls haven't you?

And comfort should not be high on the list for Garda cars. Performance would be more important surely.

Is where you work for 8 hours a shift comfortable and safe ??

If I am out there spending 8 hours in a Garda car surely i should be entitled to some bit of safety and comfort.

Gone are the days of Garda management removing headrests and heater matrix's to keep the occupants awake!!!

Chief--- wrote: »
    Gone are the days of Garda management removing headrests and heater matrix's to keep the occupants awake!!!

Did they do that before?! :eek:

Scabby bastards. :mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for the answers - like I said I'm not a petrol head and thus know zip about cars - must admit I had forgotten about the Toyota Recall :rolleyes:

where did you read about the article and the official toyota line on boards, i'd like to read it..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68782295&postcount=65

Chief--- wrote: »
    Is where you work for 8 hours a shift comfortable and safe ??

If I am out there spending 8 hours in a Garda car surely i should be entitled to some bit of safety and comfort.

God forbid you'd fall asleep. You might miss the view

http://streetviewireland.tumblr.com/post/1238573806/boys-in-blue-taking-a-break

It may be more suited to the Conspiracy Theory board but I reckon a large part of the Toyota recall was due to the American government attempting to put a bit of life back into the ailing big 3 car manufacturers there.

I would not let the Toyota recall alter my opinions on Toyota vehicles at all.

I am not sure though whether that makes them good cars. I presume that this contract will cover Yaris, Auris, Avensis, Camry, Land Cruiser, Hiace, Hi Lux and any other vehicle required? In that case Toyota could be a sensible enough choice.

Anyone know if the Opel Insignia was considered ? Beautiful looking car I think , but again I know nought about how good it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

Good car,but there petrol engines are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Avensis_Saloon_4_Door.jpg

Weight ; 1950 KG

Top Speed ; 200KPH

Engine speed for max torque 4400@RPM.. (Quite low for max output) Total max torque Nm 160, Max engine output at the wheels 147BHP..

So a heavy family saloon car with some pull, but you would have the feeling the car could move alot faster..

The Colt Mivec, is max torque 6700@RPM, MAX torque Nm130, Max engine output at the wheels 137BHP. With a curb weight of 1250KG.

So I wouldn't expect this to be the most powerful car on the road.

Still looks nice !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

psni wrote: »

I'm not a Skoda owner but surely these were in the running, if they tendered ?

Boots are huge, economical to run and plenty of leg room in the back.

Amazing how Irelands No1 family saloon care becomes Ireland No1 Garda car. Makes perfect sense.......... in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Petrol or Diesel?
    We have a combination of Mondeos and Avensis at work and the difference in performance is huge. The Avensis is a gutless tank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 in your face

Saw an Insignia estate at the driving school, looked very impressive, LED on roof and bumpers and inside grill. The lads said that it was very comfortable to drive but the steering is light and the view of from the rear view mirror is shockingly bad on both the saloon and estate models. I hope the steering on the new Avensis improves on the last model, too light and skittish. I'd personally be an advocate of the Mondeo. Agree with poster re Skoda Octavia. The 2.0l TDI churns out 140bhp and has the handling and reliability to go with it, never mind the potential savings on diesel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement