Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession? pffft. I got a job!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

It's really quite simple, the fact that you don't understand it says a lot tbh.

What exactly does it say?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Can I ask about this?

Where have you advertised/tried to source a suitable candidate? What wasn't suitable about previous candidates? What characteristics do you deem as suitable/unsuitable for employment.

I ask because any jobseeking tips from employers are very valuable, espically on here where you can be frank (or judy or stephen or mary)

32C should deem you suitable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Can I ask about this?

Where have you advertised/tried to source a suitable candidate?

He hasn't cos he is too busy trolling boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That you travelled here in a time machine from 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Well you said you cannot understand why anyone can't get a job. There are companies closing down left, right and centre due to the r word.

Hundreds of qualified and capable people are currently on the live register looking for work and there are just not enough jobs for those people.

Can't really simplify it any more than that.

• Advertisement

If people were appropriately and diversely skilled they would get jobs. Simple.

Yep, sure is "simple".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Can I ask about this?

Where have you advertised/tried to source a suitable candidate? What wasn't suitable about previous candidates? What characteristics do you deem as suitable/unsuitable for employment.

I ask because any jobseeking tips from employers are very valuable, espically on here where you can be frank (or judy or stephen or mary)

I'll PM you about that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Clearly.:rolleyes:

The Irish workforce when employed were happy to stick to the skill set they required to do the job, now they are unemployed and whining "there's no jobs". There's plenty of jobs, perhaps not in your specific area, but people needed to diversify and didn't.

College graduates are useless morons. No surprise many are finding impossible to get a job.

• Advertisement

Idiot or troll? Idiot or troll? Idiot or troll? Daddy or chips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Irish workforce when employed were happy to stick to the skill set they required to do the job, now they are unemployed and whining "there's no jobs". There's plenty of jobs, perhaps not in your specific area, but people needed to diversify and didn't.

College graduates are useless morons. No surprise many are finding impossible to get a job.

I bet you work in McDonalds & consider flipping burgers & frying chips as "different skill sets".

Go you. You rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Dudess wrote: »
    Idiot or troll? Idiot or troll? Idiot or troll? Daddy or chips?

At first I thought he was trolling but then he does make some interesting points about graduates!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

And tradesmen who decided to get in to construction during the property boom are not?

Nah I work in software development. I could have taken a pluming apprenticeship a few years ago or worked in any area of construction if I wanted to.

But I decided I'd get a good education and got myself a first class honors.

I must be just a troll, or chips.

BTW having seen the quality and level of intelligence of people going through the education system, I think it's fair to say this country was destined to be ****ed regardless of the financial situation.

I had never met a truly dumb person until I met a tone of them when I went to college.

Nah I work in software development. I could have taken a pluming apprenticeship a few years ago or worked in any area of construction if I wanted to.

But I decided I'd get a good education and got myself a first class honors.
    That's a whole lot of contradictin' yourself there...
    BTW having seen the quality and level of intelligence of people going through the education system, I think it's fair to say this country was destined to be ****ed regardless of the financial situation.

I had never met a truly dumb person until I met a tone of them when I went to college.
    Oh so YOU were a college student, but YOU'RE not a useless moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

BTW having seen the quality and level of intelligence of people going through the education.....

You're slagging the level of intelligence in our education system:confused:.....It's tonne mate, with two n's;)

Oh noes I made a spelling mistake.

It seems no matter what argument or point of view you hold, once you make a spelling mistake it renders it null and void. :rolleyes:

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh so YOU were a college student, but YOU'RE not a useless moron.

Exactly. I could use words like "majority" to acknowledge not all college students are useless, and not all dole spongers are useless and unskilled, but I like to generalise.

I'd say your disingenuous nonsense about there being enough jobs to go around despite the country being bankrupt was what rendered your argument null and void.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

OP - is it a debt collection role?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

I just finished college a few months ago so I guess that makes your point moot :-o

OP - is it a debt collection role?
    Nope, software!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

I just finished college a few months ago so I guess that makes your point moot :-o

Nope, software!

There are jobs out there alright. We're hiring at the moment, but can't get good people.

Wobbles, u in java?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

futonic wrote: »
    There are jobs out there alright. We're hiring at the moment, but can't get good people.

Wobbles, u in java?

Yep. I would've thought there's a lot of java programmers out there? Nearly every software degree teaches it like...

Where ye based?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭futonic

Yep. I would've thought there's a lot of java programmers out there? Nearly every software degree teaches it like...

Where ye based?

Not that many good ones. It's like everyone is worried and are not inclined to move. Of course the rates have taken a 30% drop, which mightn't help!

We're in Dublin.

I rest my case.

Many HR departments will tell you it's a struggle to get quality, especially if the nationality is Irish. What a feeble people we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Yup! Got offered a full time position today! Woo!

NICE TRY BRIAN!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I rest my case.

Many HR departments will tell you it's a struggle to get quality, especially if the nationality is Irish. What a feeble people we are.

Speak for yourself. I'd be more likely to define feeble as somebody who crows about having a got a job and denigrating the thousands who have lost theirs by calling them idiots/lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Not that many good ones. It's like everyone is worried and are not inclined to move. Of course the rates have taken a 30% drop, which mightn't help!

We're in Dublin.

Hopeful computing graduate doing mostly Java for 4 years and may be looking for a job in September if you're still hiring :D

• Advertisement

Many HR departments will tell you it's a struggle to get quality, especially if the nationality is Irish.
    There may be software jobs, but in general there aren't enough jobs to go around, and you know it and are just going against the grain from your comfortable position of being employed because... maybe you want the attention. There are journalists who operate like that, why shouldn't there be online community members I suppose...
    What a feeble people we are.
    I take it you don't include yourself in the royal "we"...

Advertisement