Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL QB Power Ratings

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Favre isn't top 10 when it comes to QB skills. Toughness and longevity he isthough, doesn't make him one of the top 10 QB's of all time though. Give me rings over stats any day.

More than 1 man on a team, Chucky. So your top 2 would be Brady and Roethlisberger?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

davyjose wrote: »
    If Brett Favre -- holder of every major career record -- isn't elite, over the course of his career, then I must have a fcuking hole in my head tbh.

We're fortunate enough to be in an era when probably 3 of the ten best QB's of all time are playing, and that makes them elite. Favre is one of those QB's.

Brees is undoubtedly better now. But I have to put Favre ahead of Brees because he has been doing it for so long. To put Brees' body of work over Favre's is madness.

+1.

He was league MVP 3 times. Winning rings requires a great team and some luck. Trent Dilfer (elite QB) has one. Dan Marino (good or maybe very good) does not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

More than 1 man on a team, Chucky. So your top 2 would be Brady and Roethlisberger?

Brady is number 1, then Manning. IF Manning was to finish his career with just one ring then I'd reconsider how high I rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭Justin10

My rankings on QBs right now not what they have done years ago.
    I would have Brady in a group in between Elite and Excellent. I just dont think he is where he was. (Prob being stupid)

Elite
    Peyton Manning
    Philip Rivers
    Drew Brees

Excellent
    Tom Brady
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Aaron Rodgers

Very Good
    Eli Manning
    Brett Favre
    Matt Schaub
    Matt Ryan

Solid
    Matthew Stafford
    Michael Vick
    Donovan McNabb
    Tony Romo
    Joe Flacco
    Jay Cutler
    Kyle Orton
    Sam Bradford
    Josh Freeman
    Vince Young
    Carson Palmer
    Mark Sanchez
    Matt Hasselbeck

Back Up
    Chad Henne
    Matt Cassel
    David Garrard
    Jason Campbell
    Colt McCoy
    Derek Anderson

Poor
    Matt Moore
    Alex Smith
    Ryan Fitzpatrick

IF Manning was to finish his career with just one ring then I'd reconsider how high I rate him.

See this is what I don't get. You're either as good as you are, or you're not. Championships have no bearing on your actual ability.

John Elway was nowhere near his best when he won his 2 rings, do you really think winning these made him a better QB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

See this is what I don't get. You're either as good as you are, or you're not. Championships have no bearing on your actual ability.

John Elway was nowhere near his best when he won his 2 rings, do you really think winning these made him a better QB?
    John Elway had his 1st and 4th best seasons by QB rating in his last 2 years. He also threw for his fourth best yardage total in his second last season.

Thats regular seasons numbers by the way.

eagle eye wrote: »
    John Elway had his 1st and 4th best seasons by QB rating in his last 2 years. He also threw for his fourth best yardage total in his second last season.

Thats regular seasons numbers by the way.

He also had easily his best team those years. Hence the rings. Fair enough, I caught myself out there. But it doesn't really disprove my point: Elway probably wasn't better ability-wise. He just had a better team.

As good as he (this goes for anybody) was at the role of QB, it's not tied to how many rings he won. He certainly wasn't any better than when he dragged his team through the playoffs in 1990.

Same as Brady. Brady wasn't better in 2001 than he was in 2007. but he didn't win the ring in 2007. That, IMO, is why you can't judge a player on rings. It really is a team sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Added a few extra tiers to clear the picture up

Elite
    Brett Favre
    Peyton Manning
    Drew Brees
    Philip Rivers

Excellent
    Ben Roethlisberger
    Aaron Rodgers
    Tom Brady

Very Good
    Donovan McNabb
    Eli Manning
    Joe Flacco
    Kyle Orton

Good
    Matt Schaub
    Michael Vick
    Tony Romo
    Vince Young
    Matt Ryan
    Mark Sanchez

Solid

Matthew Stafford (injury and turnover prone but that could be down to a bad offensive line)
    Sam Bradford (will probably move up but not played enough yet to warrant it)
    Josh Freeman
    Jason Campbell (past 3 weeks move him up to this level)
    Colt McCoy (probably same as bradford)

Serviceable

Jay Cutler (way too many picks and bad decisions, is a lousy leader and holds on to the ball far too long)
    Matt Hasselbeck (injuries, road form)
    Matt Cassel
    David Garrard (inconsistent)
    Chad Henne

Poor
    Alex Smith
    Derek Anderson
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Matt Moore
    Carson Palmer (nowadays, he sucks now tbh, offence loaded with talent and playing dire)

spiralism wrote: »
    Added a few extra tiers to clear the picture up

Elite

Brett Favre
    Philip Rivers

Excellent

Tom Brady
    :rolleyes:

Brady's very borderline but the 4 under elite are just unbelievable

Favre - holds nearly every record
    Manning - is the difference between the colts going 12-4 every year and going 4-12
    Brees - absolute force of nature when he goes off and turned a scrub franchise into a powerhouse when he became QB
    Rivers - is a slightly watered down version of manning imo, he has a phenomenal arm, great leader and can put the numbers up with any aul eejit as receiver. Also the difference between SD being a playoff contender and average.

Brady imo hasnt been the same since his knee injury in 08 (though very good) and often was on great teams with an absolute genius of a coach to boot, which is why i put him on the next tier with 2 other class QBs in Rodgers and Ben. He's still unreal and its very close between putting him under excellent or elite...

the QBs under excellent are still technically elite anyways but i classed them separately because both Brady and Ben have had great teams and genius coaches around them their whole careers while Rodgers has only played 2 full seasons. at least 3 of the QBs under elite win in any situation really, and Favre is holder of all the records and an absolute nailed on HOFer. That's the distinction.

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Brady's very borderline but the 4 under elite are just unbelievable

Favre - holds nearly every record
    Manning - is the difference between the colts going 12-4 every year and going 4-12
    Brees - absolute force of nature when he goes off and turned a scrub franchise into a powerhouse when he became QB
    Rivers - is a slightly watered down version of manning imo, he has a phenomenal arm, great leader and can put the numbers up with any aul eejit as receiver. Also the difference between SD being a playoff contender and average.

Brady imo hasnt been the same since his knee injury in 08 (though very good) and often was on great teams with an absolute genius of a coach to boot, which is why i put him on the next tier with 2 other class QBs in Rodgers and Ben. He's still unreal and its very close between putting him under excellent or elite...

the QBs under excellent are still technically elite anyways but i classed them separately because both Brady and Ben have had great teams and genius coaches around them their whole careers while Rodgers has only played 2 full seasons. at least 3 of the QBs under elite win in any situation really, and Favre is holder of all the records and an absolute nailed on HOFer. That's the distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Brady is number 1, then Manning. IF Manning was to finish his career with just one ring then I'd reconsider how high I rate him.

LOL. Possibly the most stupid comment I've read on these forums, and I've read the posts from BigDoaf and TomBrady.

So you think he is top 2 in the league at QB at this time but if he was to maintain his current forum and retires without more rings then suddenly he is a worse QB?

Just lol.

Also you might have NFl confused with boxing? or some other sport where it's 1 v1.

LOL. Possibly the most stupid comment I've read on these forums, and I've read the posts from BigDoaf and TomBrady.

So you think he is top 2 in the league at QB at this time but if he was to maintain his current forum and retires without more rings then suddenly he is a worse QB?

Just lol.

Also you might have NFl confused with boxing? or some other sport where it's 1 v1.
    Possibly the most stupid comment I've read on these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Careful. Brady is part-god on these forums - any suggestion he's slipping is paramount to telling a five-year-old that Santa isn't real and their parents are just very good at sneaking into your room and stealing their baby teeth from under their pillow, at the same time.

Syferus wrote: »
    Careful. Brady is part-god on these forums - any suggestion he's slipping is paramount to telling a five-year-old that Santa isn't real and their parents are just very good at sneaking into your room and stealing their baby teeth from under their pillow, at the same time.
    Well if you put up any facts to back up your opinion you would get some respect but you didn't and the reason for that is you can't because there is none. Brady had the second best regular season of his career going by numbers in 2009 the year after his injury.

He has lead a team to a 6-2 record so far this season, thats joint top of the NFL. And thats without a good receiving corp.

Case in point!

Well if you put up any facts to back up your opinion you would get some respect but you didn't and the reason for that is you can't because there is none. Brady had the second best regular season of his career going by numbers in 2009 the year after his injury.

He has lead a team to a 6-2 record so far this season, thats joint top of the NFL. And thats without a good receiving corp.

The **** are you on about. How do you decide the criteria for who gets respect. And just maybe not everyone is posting here to have their ego stroked.

The **** are you on about. How do you decide the criteria for who gets respect. And just maybe not everyone is posting here to have their ego stroked.
    Well somebody that insults a long time poster by saying his posts are the most stupid he has ever read and even more stupid than BigDoaf's or TomBrady's is certainly not going to get any respect.

You seemed like a decent lad before so I'm hoping you are drunk or something.

Case in point!
    No the problem is you come up with something stupid that you can't back up.

Public service annoucement: don't feed anger by letting yourself get dragged into arguments you know will prove pointless!

• Advertisement

Public service annoucement: don't feed anger by letting yourself get dragged into arguments you know will prove pointless!
    There is no anger here at all. Just pointing out your ridiculous posts.

Does anyone else notice that the ridiculous thing is that for some reason threads like this - that should be a bit of fun and entirely not meant to be taken-deathly seriously - routinely turn into yet more yawnsome anger that dispenses with any semblance of cordiality.

Remember, kids, in the end of the day we're all talking about a game where grown men dress in shoulder pads and skin-tight knee pants as well as routinely grope each other in places where if touched on the street they'd be slapped with a sexual assault charge. Let's try to keep a little perspective, eh?

Does anyone else notice that the ridiculous thing is that for some reason threads like this - that should be a bit of fun and entirely not meant to be taken-deathly seriously - routinely turn into yet more yawnsome anger that dispenses with any semblance of cordiality.

Remember, kids, in the end of the day we're all talking about a game where grown men dress in shoulder pads and skin-tight knee pants as well as routinely grope each other in places where if touched on the street they'd be slapped with a sexual assault charge. Let's try to keep a little perspective, eh?
    No you don't get it. This is where we talk about American Football.

If you want to joke around I'm sure there is a joke forum or in your case a horrendous sense of humour forum.

No you don't get it. This is where we talk about American Football.

If you want to joke around I'm sure there is a joke forum or in your case a horrendous sense of humour forum.

You're not really talking, tough, are you? You're telling people they're wrong (or stupid), either through smilies or in those exact terms.

Eagle Eye, you're as guilty as anyone for adding to a less-than-enjoyable environment on this forum. You can inteligently discuss a topic without routinely descending into absolutes, indignation or insults and I know I'm not the only one who has felt uneasy when you get your teeth into something. You could be completely on the money or completely wrong but it's way too easy for you to end up entrenched on topics.

You're not really talking, tough, are you? You're telling people they're wrong (or stupid), either through smilies or in those exact terms.

Eagle Eye, you're as guilty as anyone for adding to a less-than-enjoyable environment on this forum. You can inteligently discuss a topic without routinely decending into absolutes, indignation or insults and I know I'm not the only one who has felt uneasy when you get your teeth into something. You could be completely on the money or completely wrong but it's way too easy for you to end up entrenched on topics.
    Well lets have a look at that then.

You posted twice and I gave you :rolleyes: twice. So then you posted a suggestion that Brady is part god around here and I then explained to you why your posts got the :rolleyes: but you just continue on with the same off topic ramblings.

So basically you posted something absolutely retarded and then go off on a tangent.

I'm done with this, just in future if you want to make a statement about somebody not being as good as they were before their injuries, check the facts on that like a good man. It will save us all time.

I notice you seem to get on the wrong side of the regular posters who have been here a while. If you don't get why that is, maybe you should just step back and think about it.

You posted twice and I gave you :rolleyes: twice. So then you posted a suggestion that Brady is part god around here and I then explained to you why your posts got the :rolleyes: but you just continue on with the same off topic ramblings.

So basically you posted something absolutely retarded and then go off on a tangent.

I'm done with this, just in future if you want to make a statement about somebody not being as good as they were before their injuries, check the facts on that like a good man.

I notice you seem to get on the wrong side of the regular posters who have been here a while. If you don't get why that is, maybe you should just step back and think about it.

Is it all just bleeding together for you, Eagle Eye?

My points still stand and I'm fully confident almost everyone on the forum would agree with them. You can suck the fun out of a thread by not having an appropriate level of levity in many cases and that's not something anyone should wish to see happen if they care about the community in any small way.

I'd also wager that there's far less people who bear ill-will towards me than they do you, so the only thing worth addressing is that for some reason you decided it was a good point to raise.

Is it all just bleeding together for you, Eagle Eye?

My points still stand and I'm fully confident almost everyone on the forum would agree with them. You can suck the fun out of a thread by not having an appropriate level of levity in many cases and that's not something anyone should wish to see happen if they care about the community in any small way.

I'd also wager that there's far less people who bear ill-will towards me than they do you, so the only thing worth addressing is that for some reason you decided it was a good point to raise.

Favre isn't top 10 when it comes to QB skills. Toughness and longevity he isthough, doesn't make him one of the top 10 QB's of all time though. Give me rings over stats any day.

Another point maybe you could clarify? Would Dan Marino make your top ten? He has no rings, but he had all the skill in the world.

Also I'd love someone to answer my question before all the bickering. Was Elway better in '98 than he was in '89? And was Brady better in '01 than he was in '07?

I'm done with this, just in future if you want to make a statement about somebody not being as good as they were before their injuries, check the facts on that like a good man. It will save us all time.

Actually that was me lol

• Advertisement

Well somebody that insults a long time poster by saying his posts are the most stupid he has ever read and even more stupid than BigDoaf's or TomBrady's is certainly not going to get any respect.

You seemed like a decent lad before so I'm hoping you are drunk or something.

Honestly what's with you and respect. I don't look at a users join date before replying to their post. The post itself doesn;t change because the user joined in 2002 or whatever.

Chucky mostly makes quality posts but that wasn't, that post was the epitomy of everything I dont like about football fans.

Eagle Eye you're entitled to your opinions, but you're not entitled to talk for everyone on this forum, saying users have to do certain things for respect? I'll be the judge for who I respect and why, I don't need you telling me who to respect thank you very much.

Advertisement