Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

I think that the rolling stock might be a somewhat bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

westtip wrote: »
    You are having a laugh aren't you, I mean why can't you get a train from Dublin to say Longford or Mullingar or Sligo or Galway or Athlone after 8.00 pm All single track lines - Is this level of service delivery functioning fine? Places like Longford or Mullingar or Athlone are long distance commuter lines, after 7 pm there shoudl be an annual service up until 11.30 pm if they really want to attract people onto trains this is what they need to do! If you live in the sticks the idea of gonig up to Das Kapital for say a night at the theatre is simply not on by train cos there is no late night service. IE "functions fine" if you want a third world service.

I don't think it is the single track that is preventing a late night service. Especially seen as if you wanted a train out of Dublin late at night there would be little or no conflicting movements in the opposite direction, if they were they could be accomadated at passing loops just like during the day.

Of course you could theoritically double-track the whole system, but that would be alot of money; think about all the cuttings, embankments, bridges etc that would require significant engineering work to widen them, that's before so much as a sleeper is put down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Of course you could theoritically double-track the whole system, but that would be alot of money; think about all the cuttings, embankments, bridges etc that would require significant engineering work to widen them, that's before so much as a sleeper is put down.

Not withstanding the fact that much of it was built for - or AS - double track and was either never doubled or was singled by the GSR to save mainto costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dowlingm

IE could run later trains to the outer suburban stops, but that would mean basing trains and drivers in places like Mullingar and Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

KC61 wrote: »
    To be fair the fact that there are no later trains on the other routes is down to a lack of rolling stock and drivers and not the fact that they are single track routes.

I think the latter point re the drivers is the issue - its all about who runs IE - the unions or the management - as there is no management (they are in the pocket of the unions and do as they are told), the issue comes down to drivers/unions - As long as IE remains in tact as it is - An organisation run for its union members then the kind of service we have debated - later night services to the outer commuting towns (and at least one late night train to Galway), then they won't happen. As for this thread - the WRC - Indeed the west demands hourly 247 services on OUR LINE which is of course critical to survival of every family in the wesht (sic). In fact the point made about drivers in Gorey is equally applicable to drivers based in say Ennis, a late night servce from Limerick to Ennis with drivers based in Ennis might just be a runner - I don't know - but i do know it is highly unlikely to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

I collected a punter in wet and wintry SMB at 4pm today, about 40 on the train from Galway, 4 got off, none got on. Last Friday there was about 10 people huddled in SMB shelter waiting to board the ~10am to Galway.

There was comment back along about what the numbers might be in the depths of winter well theres a few numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

KC61 wrote: »
    To be fair the fact that there are no later trains on the other routes is down to a lack of rolling stock and drivers and not the fact that they are single track routes.
    IE very "cleverly" retired their Mark 3s prematurely, and the locomotives to haul them.
    I collected a punter in wet and wintry SMB at 4pm today, about 40 on the train from Galway, 4 got off, none got on. Last Friday there was about 10 people huddled in SMB shelter waiting to board the ~10am to Galway
    Wonder what the significance of Sixmilebridge ridership is; the town has less than 2,000 residents.

about 40 on the train from Galway, 4 got off, er well theres a few numbers.

But not enough to fill a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

to be fair, i raised my eyebrows at 40....more than I would have expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

corktina wrote: »
    to be fair, i raised my eyebrows at 40....more than I would have expected!
    it is a lot more than is on the new trains from docklands to dunboyne!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ah come on Sixmilebridge is between Limerick and Ennis so the number onboard provided no indication of use north of Ennis

yes absolutely this mythical mid morning loading ofr 40 passengers at 6MB is based on an observation from where - on the train - from the platform, an anedotal comment, how many were fare paying passengers, how many were using the line north of Ennis?

Its hardly "hard" evidence - and as said before - not enough to fill a bus. Not seen any shouting from the rooftops from IE recently or indeed WOT about the massive level of usership that was expected.

Nothern WRC will get postponed indefinitely in the budget anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

yes absolutely this mythical mid morning loading ofr 40 passengers at 6MB is based on an observation from where - on the train - from the platform, an anedotal comment, how many were fare paying passengers, how many were using the line north of Ennis?

Its hardly "hard" evidence - and as said before - not enough to fill a bus. Not seen any shouting from the rooftops from IE recently or indeed WOT about the massive level of usership that was expected.

It was probably the night after an American Wake and they were all leaving Sixmilebridge for the last time to get a coffin ship from Galway. :D

It was probably the night after an American Wake and they were all leaving Sixmilebridge for the last time to get a coffin ship from Galway. :D

poor eejits...train was Limerick bound....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

But on the other hand there has been no hard evidence to suggest it's not doing well either. If someone reported here the train was empty that would also be only ancedotal evidence.

You're probably right. I believe Tuam-Athenry has some viability though would be sceptical about north of Tuam. However, seen as Metro North is now looking more and more unlikely I wouldn't hold my breath for the rest of the WRC project.

I recall when the Maynooth commuter service was restarted; during the early afternoon, the outbound trains ran empty, but when the heavy rush hour hit, you couldn't get a seat. Nowadays you have almost as many trains as buses serving Leixlip and Maynooth, and the trains are much higher capacity than the buses.

As far as direct service between Limerick and Galway, a bypass of Athenry might do. Overall, holding the average speed of trains down (which looks to be utterly deliberate on the state's part, on all lines) has to stop; the passengers have to be adamant about that, because the railways and current rolling stock are capable of much faster.

the problem with the WRC is there are too many stops (and more planned) to maintain any sort of decent average speed. The line falls between two stools, it isnt a proper InerCity service because of the stops and is too slow to be a useful commuter service.

Bad planning by IE who only half-heartedly went into this project on Government insistance.

CIE wrote: »
    I recall when the Maynooth commuter service was restarted; during the early afternoon, the outbound trains ran empty, but when the heavy rush hour hit, you couldn't get a seat. Nowadays you have almost as many trains as buses serving Leixlip and Maynooth, and the trains are much higher capacity than the buses.

As far as direct service between Limerick and Galway, a bypass of Athenry might do. Overall, holding the average speed of trains down (which looks to be utterly deliberate on the state's part, on all lines) has to stop; the passengers have to be adamant about that, because the railways and current rolling stock are capable of much faster.

This is just complete cloud cuckoo land talk. Comparing the likely demand on a suburban service from Dublin to the outer suburbs of the only sizeable city we have to the likely demand from a large town (sorry city) to a series of small towns and villages in the middle of the west of Ireland is poppycock. Face facts - we simply don't have the population to support this hair brained scheme.

Re the direct services - we got what was campaigned for - the re-opening of the old alignment - of course it made sense to bypass Athenry with a southern loop to the southwest of Athenry and to at least make Limerick/Galway feasible but that would have defeated the whole "corridor" argument by WOT up there in Claremorris. this whole thing was a calamity from the start because amateur armchair transport planners with a missionary zeal became the mouthpiece of the west and we dared not speak against the folly of the whole wretched project, we have a transport department that just caves in to parish pump politicians. Instead of governing - and saying no - sorry this is not part of the overall scheme of things. Instead we got this shambles we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Any bets as to when Ballycar is going to be flooded again? According to several people interviewed on RTE tonight the Shannon is already flooding land not normally affected this early in the Winter. Will the WRC still be operating by Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Any bets as to when Ballycar is going to be flooded again? According to several people interviewed on RTE tonight the Shannon is already flooding land not normally affected this early in the Winter. Will the WRC still be operating by Christmas?

It better not flood, What will Duncan do then ? :eek:

• Advertisement

no problems for crusheen from tomorrow - Duncan will have a lovely little cycle along a quiet road......as all that traffic is shifted onto a lovely new Dual carriageway bypassing the town. Its hilarioius to watch this piece of broadcasting again - the zealot from the Weshtern Development Commission and the environmental warriors they interviewed - he didn't go to one real business asking for an opinion about whats needed or one major retailer or anyone involved in supply chain planning - this programme was such a load of old tosh it really is comical to watch it again. Very encouraged to read in the Irish Times today the positive comments about Gort bypass and the report that Gort Tuam will be the only major road project starting next year. The toy train line if ever built will then be an embarrasing play thing for WOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

Is phase 2 under construction? and when should it be completed approxiametly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Teddy455 wrote: »
    Is phase 2 under construction? and when should it be completed approxiametly?

No, and at this stage, never.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Irish Rail might like to take notice of this when the WRC floods again this winter :D:pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,314 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not funny. Surely the train driver couldn't know what any of the signals said or whether there was an obstruction on the track - hidden by the water ... or the waterfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »
    Not funny. Surely the train driver couldn't know what any of the signals said or whether there was an obstruction on the track - hidden by the water ... or the waterfall.

you can see the track so the water is only a couple of inches deep. also all the people standing around aren't phased in the least giving the appearance of it being "normal". and as it was such a short section you'd see signals far in advance of it.

Either a) the driver was not expecting it and so didn't slow down or b) they know its happens and don't care and just deal with i. given the general reaction of people I'm of the opinion that option b) is the more likely, they look like they are used to it and not bothered.

more cool than funny anyway.

it quite possibly wasnt possible for the train to slow up in the time available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

IR should set up a 'Soak Zone' (a la theme parks) and charge people. It might pay for the WRC!

...or not

Does this mean that the railway south of Wexford will close permanently the next time the sea floods it, as well? If not, then all such discussion is moot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The X51 bus service will now be going directly from Galway-Limerick. Cant wait to see what time it will take on the bus now.
    I refer to your email of the 2nd November 2010 regarding our X51 service Limerick to Galway.
    Please note, when the new Gort bypass is opened all our X51 services will be travelling direct to/from Galway/Limerick.
    Gort will then only be served by our table 51 service.
    Trusting this clarifies our position.
    Yours sincerely,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement