Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Stinicker wrote: »
    I hope I am wrong howver when it is a private firm doing something it will be all about money.
    You claimed that people would be ticketed for doing 100.01km/h in a 100 - of course you're wrong, and you knew it when you said it. It was rabble-rousing, pure & simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Anan1 wrote: »
    You claimed that people would be ticketed for doing 100.01km/h in a 100 - of course you're wrong, and you knew it when you said it. It was rabble-rousing, pure & simple.

I don't want to get into an argument with you but I was not rabble rousing, I am simply going on what I know, have read and have been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

have read

Where? Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

How about a complete review or speed limits in the country i.e. a formor N road that had a serious amount of traffic but a new motorway was built so now it has a 80kmh limit the same limit as a boreen with grass in the middle. Or the new dual carriageway in waterford with a 60kmh limit.

If they stick them in places that will help reduce deaths no prob but shooting fish in a barrel i.e. lets say a certain road near nass is nothing but raising money thats the problem.

Is that on the kilcullen road, kilcullen side of the roundabout?

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I love how they are being referre to as Safety Cameras (much likse the Garda Gatso Vans)

How are they Safety Cameras/Systems, when they let the people carry on down the road, at the "unsafe" illegal speed.

The cop with the radar gun at least stops you and tells you to slow down. May or may not give you ticket/points but you are told that you are breaking the law and have been caught doing so. These systems do nothing to stop the speeder from driving at excessive speeds. The first he knows about being caught is a week later, when the points letter will arrive

• Advertisement

I love how they are being referre to as Safety Cameras (much likse the Garda Gatso Vans)

How are they Safety Cameras/Systems, when they let the people carry on down the road, at the "unsafe" illegal speed.

The cop with the radar gun at least stops you and tells you to slow down. May or may not give you ticket/points but you are told that you are breaking the law and have been caught doing so. These systems do nothing to stop the speeder from driving at excessive speeds. The first he knows about being caught is a week later, when the points letter will arrive
    Google 'deterrence'.:)

Google 'deterrence'.:)

show me the facts behind gatso vans reducing relative speeds? Cops stopping people are a much bigger deterrence but they still do not stop all speeding

It does not matter though. If one guy speeds and gets stopped by the cops and fined/points, I imagine that he slows down for the rest of his journey. These types of operations will not stop the person speeding, the guys can speed on for up to a week without getting the deterrent.

It does not matter though. If one guy speeds and gets stopped by the cops and fined/points, I imagine that he slows down for the rest of his journey. These types of operations will not stop the person speeding, the guys can speed on for up to a week without getting the deterrent.

1. A week isn't much out of the average driving career.

2. All that's required for deterrence is the knowledge that cameras are out there.

The knowledge the cameras are out there is making me slow down. I'm sure I'm not alone.

1. A week isn't much out of the average driving career.

2. All that's required for deterrence is the knowledge that cameras are out there.

OK I will go off and commit some other crimes and carry on for a week, untill i get told to stop.

It is not a safety measure, it is revenue generation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

This is about the only loophole around this I know of to avoid getting Penalty points, obviously with the car registered in your name they can still track down the speedster and fine you the €80 just not attach points to your foreign licence. Driving a foreign registered car to avoid this is not advisable as it is illegal to drive a car that is not registered in Ireland except for the purposes of getting it VRT cleared, driving it to the NCT centre etc.

but what if the car you'r driving is not in your name? what if its in some fake name or even in a persons name just say that was living in the drivers house but has gone to england for a few months? if the car is not in your name and you are not actually stopped driving it at the time of the offence then you cant be fined because the fine will be in the name of the registered owner and there is no proof of anyone else driving the car at the time as the car wasnt stopped!!?

germanator wrote: »

but what if the car you'r driving is not in your name?

what if its in some fake name or even in a persons name just say that was living in the drivers house but has gone to england for a few months?

if the car is not in your name and you are not actually stopped driving it at the time of the offence then you cant be fined because the fine will be in the name of the registered owner and there is no proof of anyone else driving the car at the time as the car wasnt stopped!!?

I think you kind of answered your own question there. This however happens regularly with husbands driving wifes cars etc.

If you are flashed speeding the fine and fixed penalty notice will be sent to the registered keeper of the car, if the keeper was not driving at the time then the guilty party must confess and have the fine and points put on his or her licence. In some cases the registered keeper will choose to take the points on his/her licence to save their partner or son or daughter getting points etc.

Eg. An Irish man married to a Polish wife owns the car, his polish wife is flashed speeding and the Irish guy gets the fixed penalty in the post, as he was not driving at the time they can have the fine and points issued to his polish wife. She having her polish licence will be fined €80 but she will not have any points attached to her licence and will never be at risk of losing her polish licence unless she happens to commit a motoring offense in her home country.

Reminder: It's again the Charter to discuss ways to break the law.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Reminder: It's again the Charter to discuss ways to break the law.

I completely agree and as I pointed out earlier driving a foreign registered car in the Republic is against the law if the VRT has not been paid.

Also coming back to the "What if the registered Keeper was not driving question?" When you are flashed speeding not only is the speed recorded but also a high definition photo of the car and occupants which will indicate to the authorities who was actually driving. So a mother or father taking the fall for the kid for example could land them in hot water despite their best intentions.

(Apologies Mods, I missed the bit about him mentioning a fake name and was concentrating on his question about what happens when a different driver to the registered owner is caught speeding.)
    what if its in some fake name or even in a persons name just say that was living in the drivers house but has gone to england for a few months?
    Having a car under a false name would be breaking the law and I something I cannot condone, it most likely would see the individual concerned ending up in a lot more trouble than they would originally be in.

If it was in a House mates living in England? Well it would be incumbent on him to have his post forwarded to him and so he would notice any offences being commited in his vehicle in his absence. Either that or he should do a change of ownership over to whoever is using his vehicle while he is away.

OK I will go off and commit some other crimes and carry on for a week, untill i get told to stop.
    A lot of criminals are charged afterwards rather than being caught in the act.
    It is not a safety measure, it is revenue generation
    Maybe they are, but not because they don't stop speeders immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

-Chris- wrote: »
    The knowledge the cameras are out there is making me slow down. I'm sure I'm not alone.

....'making me slow down...where camera's are, or a likely to be' you mean.......

You're not alone: and I daresay, being more careful about where, and by how much I may speed, I'm not alone either.

Camera's won't 'cure' anything - they'll just relocate the problem.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

well i know that the speed vans already in operation only take a pic of the front of the car and the reg and model can be clearly seen but no way could a description of the driver be made out, so are these new vans then different in that they have a higher definition camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Spotted one of them this morning in Waterford. Red 10ky transit not too hard to spot air vent on roof and something extra stuck over the back door higher than the roof maybe anther camera or the likes.

What will these lads be checking for? Just speeding or tax etc?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Theirs 4 around Listowel and two of them are always on the same stretch of n69 road to Tralee within a few miles of each other.

They process the pictures across from my house too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Spotted one of them this morning in Waterford. Red 10ky transit not too hard to spot air vent on roof and something extra stuck over the back door higher than the roof maybe anther camera or the likes.

and there is a white one around as well... the two of them where parked up on the N25 into waterford within 1 mile of each other yesterday....

hoping to get get the guys who speed up after they pass the first van, thinkign its all clear now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Not that I condone what happened the cop speed van in cork last year but I can't help feeling that these lads operating the vans are in a very dangerous situation. I wouldn't like to be operating one of them vans cos when people get to know which ones are speed vans I'm fairly sure they will become targets for vandalism especially by disgruntled motorists. There has been a good few speed vans in the uk attacked over the years.

I must admit though where I saw the van this morning that I was clearly there for revenue making purposes only!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 burlap

passed one this morning in monaghan on the way to dublin... think i was just over the limit too!!! is there still a percentage theyll let you go over or is it on the button now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Yes they will and anyone who thinks Private Speed Cameras are a good thing are deluding themselves. There are many many stretches of roads rated at 100km/h perfectly suited to 130km/h and every Motorway is grand at 160-180km/h.

The whole enterprise is operated by Xavier McAuliffe’s Spectra Labs, who is a self confessed "Fianna Fail supporter".

These speed cameras represent nothing more than typcal Fianna Fail corruption and are out to screw every single motorist in the pocket.

You are wrong there you are allowed a 8km/h space regarding this why dont they do people for going to slow when there is clear road ahead they are more likely to cause crashes because people are taking chances overtaking on bends on traffic islands and on continouns white lines. I work as a medic and I believe me I have seen crashes were the car has come around a bend for example doing 50km/h and then there is this other car ahead doing 30km/h what happens the the car runs up the back of the other car and you have a crash. I do agree with you regarding Spectra labs tough :) Drive safe people and were possible depending on whether conditions try and keep a safe distance from the car infront of you and even during the day put your lights on and please if you see a Ambulance ,fire engine , garda car coming with lights and sirens pull in were safe and leave it pass . Sorry for any miss spelling ;)

i agree with you there, people driving too slow and holding up traffic or who go out to overtake a car or lorry and then stay beside it in the fast lane and hold everyone behind them are just as much if not more of a danger than speeders, i always say people driving along at 30 and 40 mph on a 60 mph road should be done for obstruction as people done for speeding for going over 60mph... its absolutly rediciulous how slow some drivers go especially old people, i was behind a lad on the waterford road last night, he pulledout in front of me just past the rhu glenn and i had to brake hard then he decides to do 35mph the whole way in and i couldnt overtake him safely until the 2 lanes under the flyover near ross :mad: and its not the first time this has happened me its a frequent thing when ever i go to waterford or wexford on the main roads...

Not that I condone what happened the cop speed van in cork last year but I can't help feeling that these lads operating the vans are in a very dangerous situation. I wouldn't like to be operating one of them vans cos when people get to know which ones are speed vans I'm fairly sure they will become targets for vandalism especially by disgruntled motorists. There has been a good few speed vans in the uk attacked over the years.

I must admit though where I saw the van this morning that I was clearly there for revenue making purposes only!!
    People have already been warned about this - next time it'll be a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Wait, hang on, I seen a van that matches that exact description parked up in Slane, white 10 reg with air vent on the roof and some strange looking box hanging out over the rear doors.

But it also didn't have any back windows on it, so how would the camera get the pictures?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Hey people I have just being told that these vans ye all have being seeing are not speed cameras but van checking what traffic is certain areas is like now the vans the they are using are mostly fords and they are not new they range from 06 to 09 and also they are using cars mostly not vans and this came from a good source :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

germanator wrote: »
    i agree with you there, people driving too slow and holding up traffic or who go out to overtake a car or lorry and then stay beside it in the fast lane and hold everyone behind them are just as much if not more of a danger than speeders, i always say people driving along at 30 and 40 mph on a 60 mph road should be done for obstruction as people done for speeding for going over 60mph... its absolutly rediciulous how slow some drivers go especially old people, i was behind a lad on the waterford road last night, he pulledout in front of me just past the rhu glenn and i had to brake hard then he decides to do 35mph the whole way in and i couldnt overtake him safely until the 2 lanes under the flyover near ross :mad: and its not the first time this has happened me its a frequent thing when ever i go to waterford or wexford on the main roads...

Completely agree with you there. Fools driving way below the speed limit cause big tail-backs as well as huge frustration thus leading to reckless acts from peeved off motorists. I've seen fellahs attempting to overtake 3-8 cars at times then having to veer back into the left lane to avoid colliding with an oncoming car. While I don't condone these acts of reckless driving I believe 'slow-coaches' are just as dangerous on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

rescue16 wrote: »
    Hey people I have just being told that these vans ye all have being seeing are not speed cameras but van checking what traffic is certain areas is like now the vans the they are using are mostly fords and they are not new they range from 06 to 09 and also they are using cars mostly not vans and this came from a good source :)

Well my extremely reliable source has told me they are live since the 1st... in County Louth anyways....

Advertisement