Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

dahamsta wrote: »
    At least there won't be any cars in their way in the drive.

Hmm. If the great Gaybo did hit 12 points, would he be finally forced to sit the driving test to get his licence back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I was over in England at the weekend and hired a car and brought my Sat Nav with me, a 2 year old Garmin Nuvi

it had an interesting feature that I didn't know about, it automatically notified me if I was entering an area with a speed camera (and there are fecking millions of them over there)
    The UK are removing hundreds of cameras by the week at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,248 ✭✭✭✭Victor

brocdubh wrote: »
    1,construction and use regulations state that"a speedometer/odometer must be accurate within 10%"so if your clock says 48kmh and theirs says 52kmh,legal argument ?
    That isn't how the regulations are stated. The general requirement is that actual vehicle speed is less than displayed speed on the speedometer and ther eis a specific formula for that..
    R.O.R wrote: »
    There was one of these positioned southbound on the R132 (old N1) out of Drogheda this morning. Passed it about 06.50.

It's a nice wide piece of road, with wide hard shoulders, very few houses and was formally a 100kph stretch. I've been travelling that piece of road more or less daily for the last 13 years and haven't seen anything even remotely resembling an incident in that area.

I also wouldn't think it's a know area for speeding as most people tend to keep to the 80kph limit.

Hopefully, whoever is operating the camera will have a very dull few hours before giving up.
    Part of the contract is for surveys and I ssupect that what a lot of the work is at the moment.
    There was a red 10ky red transit outside telephone exchange in templeglantine co limerick for about 5 hours today in a 100kph zone and also a white 10kk iveco van outside sheehans shop in templeglantine village at the same time, there is a van in templeglantine almost every day and if they were to go to barna which is only 5 km away,where at least 5 people have died in car wrecks this year it would make more sense. but as usual it has nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with revenue
    Were those speed related deaths?

Is there somewhere safe to put the detection van?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Whatever about blatant revenue generation etc. etc., once these things have been in for a year, if the road death rate takes another major drop, will anyone then think they are a good idea?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Great, now we'll have the majority of terrible drivers paying more attention to their speedometers than the road.
    I dont mind when the speed limit is 100kph as thats a handy speed to travel along imo but when they have 80kph roads that can be 100kph safely is where they will try and bag you.
    Whatever about blatant revenue generation etc. etc., once these things have been in for a year, if the road death rate takes another major drop, will anyone then think they are a good idea?
    Of course, anything that can reduce pointless road deaths is great.
    But not all come down to speeding, if you crash at 80/100kph your still going to need alot of luck not to be killed at those speeds.
    What we need is concentration on these terrible roads (where Im from) not a distraction like speed cameras, people cant drive as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Just been anounced unfortunately that road deaths took a massive increase in October .Not much of an endorsement of the previous raft of 'anti speeding' measures.Personally I think most would have to agree speeding as a whole has dramatically decreased in last 10 years (particularly at the 'top end' where the sort of 100+mph speeds one could have driven at daily in the past would now have you as headline news ahead of Paedophiles ,murderers and politicians .).Id say the October figure probably is a glitch .However there will ALWAYS be road fatalities what with heart attacks and suicides for starters.Of course I realise all too well the devastation caused by road deaths .Speeding is NOT the major cause of accidents .The minor roads where most accidents occur are often criminally maintained.The ones I drive ,one often finds boulders the size of footballs from the local quarries competing with huge potholes for the greatest hazard prize.Orwellian /Big Brother enforcement of speeding is on the way out in the UK and what do we do as usual ?Adopt their failing policies...

ytareh wrote: »
    Just been anounced unfortunately that road deaths took a massive increase in October .Not much of an endorsement of the previous raft of 'anti speeding' measures.Personally I think most would have to agree speeding as a whole has dramatically decreased in last 10 years (particularly at the 'top end' where the sort of 100+mph speeds one could have driven at daily in the past would now have you as headline news ahead of Paedophiles ,murderers and politicians .).Id say the October figure probably is a glitch .However there will ALWAYS be road fatalities what with heart attacks and suicides for starters.Of course I realise all too well the devastation caused by road deaths .Speeding is NOT the major cause of accidents .The minor roads where most accidents occur are often criminally maintained.The ones I drive ,one often finds boulders the size of footballs from the local quarries competing with huge potholes for the greatest hazard prize.Orwellian /Big Brother enforcement of speeding is on the way out in the UK and what do we do as usual ?Adopt their failing policies...

The amount of driving over the speed limit I'd imagine has increased significantly in the last 10 years. This however is due to new motorways etc opening which allows us to drive safely over the limit.

On the other hand, I'd imagine reckless speeding on back roads has decreased.

I seriously doubt that the fall in road deaths has anything to do with the RSA's anti speeding campaign. New roads opening and increased drink driving testing by the Gardai have surely helped though.

The downturn in the Irish economy which meant lower traffic levels probably lead to the big fall last year in the road traffic accidents and fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

time to invest http://www.photoblockeruk.com/special/ probably a load of carp I will need something like this as I travel 75k a year

pm. wrote: »
    time to invest http://www.photoblockeruk.com/special/ probably a load of carp I will need something like this as I travel 75k a year

Absolutely useless as far as I've heard.

You're best bet is to have a sat nav loaded with known locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Saw one of those vans parked on old Ballinteer road in Dundrum, Dublin this afternoon about 3pm. For those of you unfamiliar with this road,its a small road past a housing estate.

Anyway,as I approached it, I could see flashes of light-(first I thought it was lightning as its a windy/rainy day!) as cars ahead of me drove past this white van, but it was only as I got nearer I realised it was coming from this van.
    Sure enough it was a speed camera van with only the words "Garda" written on back door and black windows on back doors of van. No reflectors at all on van so its only an ordinary looking white van and from the distance no way at all to tell what it is,so looks like these vans are going to catch everyone all the time.

No,I didn't get flashed myself luckily enough as I was going easy.

I couldn't believe it was parked on such a road, suppose the fish shooters in the back were counting their haul!

Is it illegal to flash warning lights to oncoming cars if you see a speeding van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭smellyfinger

Victor wrote: »
    That isn't how the regulations are stated. The general requirement is that actual vehicle speed is less than displayed speed on the speedometer and ther eis a specific formula for that..

Part of the contract is for surveys and I ssupect that what a lot of the work is at the moment.

Were those speed related deaths?

Is there somewhere safe to put the detection van?
    Yes there is plenty safe places to put the van and at least 2 deaths this year were speed related. i found a simple solution to the speed camera vans,i reversed my van tight up to their van and he had to move,not a happy chappie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I was telling the GF to be careful regarding speeding last night, as she was due to travel from Dublin to Tipp this morning. She's quite a slow careful driver, to the extent that it sometimes drives me mad if I'm in the passenger seat. Her attitude last night was it would be no bother she doesn't speed, if people speed they deserve to get caught blah blah.

I got a text off her this morning when she arrived that she thinks she got caught on the way.

I'm glad I'm out of the country at the moment, hopefully some common sense will have been restored by the time I return around christmas. I wouldn't count on it, but you can only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

I'm working on a flip down plate that covers the number plate when i see one of these vans ,it'll say "F**k you" on it....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There used to be a UK company who made flip up numberplates. They were called Bike2Track, it was for Motorbikes, but they made a car version too. You pushed a button, and it folded in half. Every 10 seconds it would try to close again in case potholes/wind tried to open it. Pushing the button again would open it. They were designed for 'track day use only'. Company's gone now, but they make savage money on eBay when they turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

Would'nt fancy sitting in one of these vans, all alone, in the dark, at the mercy of some drunken scumbags or whoever driving past with say, tins of paint, or other flammable liquid in containers...now THATS shooting fish in a barrel..;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

They must be putting the signs up though.

Noticed a new big speed camera sign on the Airton Road in Dublin (Jacobs side just as you come on to the Airton road).

No sign of any vans/cameras yet!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

if the road death rate takes another major drop, will anyone then think they are a good idea?

Do any of the "anti-speeding" / "pro safety"* posters on this forum understand the word "research", or "facts"? Do any of you even open a damned newspaper?

* I assume that the intelligent posters in here will pick up on the sarcasm. For the Skoda drivers though: I'm being sarcastic. There's nothing wrong with being "anti-speeding", as long as the "anti" is informed and not just plain reactionary because of wot i red in de sun. And there's nothing wrong with being pro-safety either. Unfortunately, you're not pro-safety, you're just an idiot without a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Bumpstop

Well my practice, for these new vans paid off on Friday morning. Coming off the M50 on my way home from work, I slowed to the ridiculous 50 Kmh limit on the off ramp.
    As I merged slooooowly with the N2, the rozzers had trapped and pulled a van, he had just been pulled. Normally I would heve pissed by this van and sped off the ramp, and they would have got me.
    I know it's not one of the new vans, but still my practice has paid off and driving within the limit should be second nature when, revenue gene...... I mean safety cameras arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

motorway limit is too slow should be 130 at least with more 120 zones and then rural roads should be decreased to 80 where they are sometimes 100. I may be wrong but it seems most lethal accidents occur on backroads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

dahamsta wrote: »
    Again, please provide evidence. I do deny your assertion, I drive every single day and the vast majority of drivers I see drive at, or more likely under the speed limit (because most older drivers still haven't figured out that the primary speed limit isn't 55mph, and hasn't been for over five years). The ones that do "speed" would generally still actually be within the speed limit, because they don't understand that their cars overestimate their actual speed. 60kph on the clock != 60kph on the road.

[QUOTE=dahamsta;

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills. Stop reading red tops and educate yourself for god's sake.

adam

Speed kills just the same as playing with fire contributes to the fire statistics.......but then maybe you'll need stats for that, will you ?
    Like if people were better swimmers the tsunami would have had a better survival rate ?? And I concede that's true in an extreme consideration but it goes nowhere as a solution.

Also if you aren't so convinced of largescale disregard for the speeding laws, then I suggest that you spend a half hour on the M50 and try to drive under the speed limits there and don't up your speed regardless of what's happening behind you. Please do that and then tell us your honest experience.

Finally......you postulate somewhat about your 'opinion'.
    Well, I expressed a view about 'inclination' which has as much validity as your opinion and many would agree with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Wasn't there some high moral announcement when they came out that they weren't to be used as cash cows, and would only be put on black spot known accident areas and high risk areas?

Well, that lasted long. 2 cameras on the 120kph Ballincollig Bypass today in Cork, one facing east, one west on a lovely wide open Dual Carriageway. Fish in a barrel!

Typical :rolleyes:.

What part of the bypass was this on though? I would be very interested in knowing as I drive on it regularly. Thanks in advance :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Why is it not a surprise to find that the speed cameras(and they are NOT safety cameras as the adverts by AGS and the RSA propagate) are being loacted on the only roads where it is possible to travel at a decent speed and where it is safe to travel at a decent speed?

What we need is an Irish equivalent of the UK lobby group Safe Speed, where they argue that the emphasis on speed is that people should drive at a speed appropriate for the conditions?

Speed limits should be set on what is considered a safe speed to travel at given the quality of the road, conditions, traffice volume etc , not unnecessarily low for the safe of keeping the slow coaches and the "slowing down saves lives" brigade happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

tinyjiney wrote: »
    Would'nt fancy sitting in one of these vans, all alone, in the dark, at the mercy of some drunken scumbags or whoever driving past with say, tins of paint, or other flammable liquid in containers...now THATS shooting fish in a barrel..;);)
    ?? Take that nastiness elsewhere thanks. Banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

I spotted one of the overt Garda ones outside Newbridge yesterday on the 80 km/h dual carraigeway to Naas, parked up at quite an angle straddling part of the hard shoulder and a grass bank on a curve in the road.

Whatever about what was getting served out to speeding motorists doing 100km/h on this stretch of dual carraigeway who presumably are to recieve very slanted photographs, I really wonder how it dealt with the motorbike that was coming around the bend using that hard shoulder and going the wrong way on the dual carraigeway...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

tinyjiney wrote: »
    I'm working on a flip down plate that covers the number plate when i see one of these vans ,it'll say "F**k you" on it....;)

Like this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Why is it not a surprise to find that the speed cameras(and they are NOT safety cameras as the adverts by AGS and the RSA propagate) are being loacted on the only roads where it is possible to travel at a decent speed and where it is safe to travel at a decent speed?

What we need is an Irish equivalent of the UK lobby group Safe Speed, where they argue that the emphasis on speed is that people should drive at a speed appropriate for the conditions?

Speed limits should be set on what is considered a safe speed to travel at given the quality of the road, conditions, traffice volume etc , not unnecessarily low for the safe of keeping the slow coaches and the "slowing down saves lives" brigade happy.

I'm afraid that's type of self regulation only works where the road users as a whole drive in a sensible manner.

My experience is that Irish road users don't display the required sense or intelligence to warrant any say in shaping strategy.

In fact its a total horror show on our roads. It's embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I was driving into Maynooth on the Rathcoffey Road last Saturday afternoon when I came across a new Garda Van with the cut out in the back glass for the camera. This is a stretch of road that goes from 80kph to 50 kph as you enter a residential area so no complaints there about shooting fish in a barrel. This is the sort of place that they should be enforcing the speed limits as there are lots of kids around. Of course my attitude might change if I get the little brown letter in the door enclosing two penalty points. :D I was slowing down and was under 60kph at the time but not too sure if I was under 50kph as I should have been.:o

I was driving into Maynooth on the Rathcoffey Road last Saturday afternoon when I came across a new Garda Van with the cut out in the back glass for the camera. This is a stretch of road that goes from 80kph to 50 kph as you enter a residential area so no complaints there about shooting fish in a barrel. This is the sort of place that they should be enforcing the speed limits as there are lots of kids around. Of course my attitude might change if I get the little brown letter in the door enclosing two penalty points. :D I was slowing down and was under 60kph at the time but not too sure if I was under 50kph as I should have been.:o

Limit goes 80 --> 60 (at the pitch) --> 50 (at the first estate) afaik

This in Kilcock Saturday.

kilcock20101106_1110.jpg

an 08 plate with the Garda lettering thrown on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I reckon they may all start using the Garda lettering ...I wouldnt hesitate to park up behind one of these private enterprise profit makers with hazards on and block his view but Id not try it behind a Garda one !

Advertisement