Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Obviously they are not going to disclose if there is a margin for a small leeway discretion of a few km's. I bet it will be a lot less than what the guards use as the private contractor employees will probably be subject to rigorous enforcement of the policy and have no leeway, unlike the guards who do use common sense most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ytareh wrote: »
    If they have no 'leeway' (at least 10kmh -its only 6mph after all-there was uproar in UK when they started getting people at 35mph in 30 zones AND it was like driving in a funeral procession)we WILL all be off the road in 6 months...or at least the 95% in test above ...the remaining 'supersaints' can post here about how we got our just deserts ...
    I've some sympathy for the driver who gets clocked at 150km/h on a motorway, but you'd want to be a p1ss-poor driver to be doing 35mph in a 30 and not see the van in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

New Gasto sitting outside of Cherrywood industrial estate right past the bridge heading towards the M50 last night. Dual carriageway, full visibility on either side of road, grass median with light hedge, 60kph speed limit. Never once seen or heard of a accident there.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Saw that one in Cherrywood yesterday afternoon as well, was stopped at lights just in front of him. Flash went off at least half a dozen times while I was waiting for a green light, completely shooting fish in a barrel along the safest stretch of road around here, but with the dumbest speed limit.

Half a mile away there are rat-runs through estates with schools, shops and kids about - cars regularly break the sensible speed limit with complete impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

New Gasto sitting outside of Cherrywood industrial estate right past the bridge heading towards the M50 last night. Dual carriageway, full visibility on either side of road, grass median with light hedge, 60kph speed limit. Never once seen or heard of a accident there.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

Fixed camera or a van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

It was a van

Fixed camera or a van?

Placed it onto your site for reference. Absolute joke of a location, pure revenue generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

While I am all for anything that improves road safety without becoming obsessional about it, this business of covert cameras makes me uneasy. I don't like the idea of official bodies filming me with covert cameras at all. Once they get away with that, where do they stop next?

IMHO officials covertly spying on members of the public is a step too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Putting one on a motorway and catching and fining people for doing 122kph in a 120kph is nothing more than a money making exercise.
    Will these lads be allowed to operate in the "Garda Only" perches on motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cookie2010

do the new gasto vans flash ?? couple of people spotted one coming out of drogheda this morning was around 700 am , still dark , couple of drivers were clearly over the max speed of 80km and was not flashing ??

But also read on the garda site that they are not being set out until mid november ?? and that they are for just monitoring ,

Would u see in flash in the dark even if the windows are tinted black?

• Advertisement

cookie2010 wrote: »
    do the new gasto vans flash ?? couple of people spotted one coming out of drogheda this morning was around 700 am , still dark , couple of drivers were clearly over the max speed of 80km and was not flashing ??

But also read on the garda site that they are not being set out until mid november ?? and that they are for just monitoring ,

Would u see in flash in the dark even if the windows are tinted black?

I saw a flash off the one yesterday, I believe it was new as it was a new Iveco. The conditions were dark with high winds and rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Abraham wrote: »
    As matters stand and given our currently fast driving fast inclinations

Please provide evidence for this statement. It's nonsense, pure and simple, parrotted garbage trotted out by the likes of Gay Effing Byrne; people that don't drive.

The inclination out there, if there is one, is one of complete ignorance of the rules of the road, basic awareness, and basic geometry. If you want to fix the already low death rate caused by driving, there's one very simple solution: regular retesting. Take the licences off these idiots, get them off the road. Get the drunks, druggies and in particular the suicidal off the road while you're at it, that'll deal with the mysterious "one-car collisions" that are raising our numbers (to some of the lowest in the world).

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills. Stop reading red tops and educate yourself for god's sake.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I wonder how many single vehicle fatal accidents ARE suicides ...could be more than we think...

dahamsta wrote: »
    Please provide evidence for this statement. It's nonsense, pure and simple, parrotted garbage trotted out by the likes of Gay Effing Byrne; people that don't drive.

The inclination out there, if there is one, is one of complete ignorance on the rules of the road, and basic awareness and geometry. If you want to fix the already low death rate caused by driving, there's one very simple solution: regular retesting. Take the licences off these idiots, get them off the road. Get the drunks, druggies and in particular the suicidal off the road while you're at it, that'll deal with the mysterious "one-car collisions" that are raising our numbers (to some of the lowest in the world).

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills. Stop reading red tops and educate yourself for god's sake.

adam

It wasn't a spurious statement, it's generally accepted by authorities, and in psychological / psychiatric circles, that a large proportion of "one vehicle collisions" are suicides. The remainder are nearly always drink or drug related.

The phrase is generally* an equivalent to "died alone in his/her house" in newspeak. When psychologists / psychiatrists / authorities hear the phrase, they translate it to "suicide", "drunk" or "druggy" in their heads. The Irish media have lots of these little agreed phrases.

So do nurses and doctors. Bikers are "organ donors", for example. :)

adam

* Generally != Always

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Jesus, I dunno how this:
    Abraham wrote: »
    As matters stand and given our currently fast driving fast inclinations

turned into this:

The inclination out there, if there is one, is one of complete ignorance of the rules of the road, basic awareness, and basic geometry. If you want to fix the already low death rate caused by driving, there's one very simple solution: regular retesting. Take the licences off these idiots, get them off the road. Get the drunks, druggies and in particular the suicidal off the road while you're at it, that'll deal with the mysterious "one-car collisions" that are raising our numbers (to some of the lowest in the world).

adam

I don't think anyone can deny that the average Irish driver habitually breaks the speed limit, and I'd agree with Abraham ('s full post) that a lot of drivers are going to be caught in the next few weeks, but I don't think that relates to your "death rate" rant.

Again, please provide evidence. I do deny your assertion, I drive every single day and the vast majority of drivers I see drive at, or more likely under the speed limit (because most older drivers still haven't figured out that the primary speed limit isn't 55mph, and hasn't been for over five years). The ones that do "speed" would generally still actually be within the speed limit, because they don't understand that their cars overestimate their actual speed. 60kph on the clock != 60kph on the road.

But that's my opinion, you seem to be stating a fact. So where does your "average" figure come from please? When I see facts, I'll accept them. Until then I think this notion that the entire country is pissing around the place like Carlos Sainz is just plain complete horsecrap.

Again, we need to take the bad drivers off the road. And we should fix the speed limits while we're at it, because most of them are quite frankly retarded, it's like the signs were put in place by oompa-loompas on an acid trip. Or county councillors trying to earn a few quid for themselves, perhaps...

adam

Again, please provide evidence. I do deny your assertion, I drive every single day and the vast majority of drivers I see drive at, or more likely under the speed limit (because most older drivers still haven't figured out that the primary speed limit isn't 55mph, and hasn't been for over five years). The ones that do "speed" would generally still actually be within the speed limit, because they don't understand that their cars overestimate their actual speed. 60kph on the clock != 60kph on the road.

But that's my opinion, you seem to be stating a fact. So where does your "average" figure come from please? When I see facts, I'll accept them. Until then I think this notion that the entire country is pissing around the place like Carlos Sainz is just plain complete horsecrap.

Again, we need to take the bad drivers off the road. And we should fix the speed limits while we're at it, because most of them are quite frankly retarded, it's like the signs were put in place by oompa-loompas on an acid trip. Or county councillors trying to earn a few quid for themselves, perhaps...

adam

I'm having a bit of trouble negotiating the RSA penalty points statistics at the mo.
    Looking at this page and the penalty points breakdown by type, 555,000 of 822,000 penalty points offences in 2009 were for speeding (i.e. 68% of penalty points offences).

Until I can decipher the RSA website and work out how these speeding offences compare to the number of licensed drivers I'm kind of stuck with saying it's by far the most commonly detected offence committed by drivers.

Bar that, I'll have to go with the fact that *my experience* is that more people are above the speed limit than below (including me) whenever they have the ability.

That's better, that's an opinion and I respect that (although in my experience, I'd refute it utterly, but that could just as easily be location as anything else).

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on penalty points as fact though - penalty points are an enumeration of enforcement, not lawbreaking - and anything the RSA says in general, because they're a bunch of lying muppets, as their advertising proves.

They could start building credibility by employing a spokesperson that does, you know, the thing he's talking about...

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

private speed cameras, is this a new low for a supposed "democacy"?

How so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

-Chris- wrote: »
    How so?

:eek: Mate, they are out to rake in the wonga, make no mistake about it.

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    :eek: Mate, they are out to rake in the wonga, make no mistake about it.

And enforcing traffic law relates to democracy how?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭smellyfinger

There was a red 10ky red transit outside telephone exchange in templeglantine co limerick for about 5 hours today in a 100kph zone and also a white 10kk iveco van outside sheehans shop in templeglantine village at the same time, there is a van in templeglantine almost every day and if they were to go to barna which is only 5 km away,where at least 5 people have died in car wrecks this year it would make more sense. but as usual it has nothing to do with road safety and everything to do with revenue

Ive seen two of these private revenue generating wagons at different unexpected locations in the last 3 days .Make no mistake if they enact a 'no leeway' policy they will be shooting ducks in a barrel and you WILL be caught (perhaps on a weekly or definitely monthly basis ) .Saw one outside Intel ,Leixlip that parked up in the darkness at the very edge of the 50kmh zone (out the country) this evening ,luckily I had noticed him driving along -the rectangular rear window cut out !-before hand ...He was breaking the speed limit !Pulled in and no doubt proceeded to catch dozens of people barely over the limit at 80 euro a head .Seriously this is going to be a MAJOR issue in the coming months .The clampers will be like Santa Claus compared with this shower.

White Transit Vents in roof 08 D 51261

Because if 193 out of 205 people we caught speeding in one of their recent tests you can be fairly sure the vast majority of the population DONT want them on the roadsides...

-Chris- wrote: »
    And enforcing traffic law relates to democracy how?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭SomeDude

Has anyone tried the TomTom live sat nav? Apparently it alerts drivers -"...in conjunction with the Road Safety Authority (RSA) that will alert drivers when they are entering or exiting one of the new Speed Enforcement Zones in Ireland."

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/18548-tomtom-in-deal-with-rsa-to/

Both the 2 vans Ive seen in last 3 days were NOT in the 'designated' zones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

SomeDude wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the TomTom live sat nav? Apparently it alerts drivers -"...in conjunction with the Road Safety Authority (RSA) that will alert drivers when they are entering or exiting one of the new Speed Enforcement Zones in Ireland."

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/new-media/item/18548-tomtom-in-deal-with-rsa-to/

I was over in England at the weekend and hired a car and brought my Sat Nav with me, a 2 year old Garmin Nuvi

it had an interesting feature that I didn't know about, it automatically notified me if I was entering an area with a speed camera (and there are fecking millions of them over there) and would flash red if I was over the limit for the camera in the area

If that works over here then you wont get caught, you might rear end someone from looking at the Sat Nav all the time but that is a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'd say 10 to 20% of Irish motorists losing their licences will be a great boost to the Irish economy.

There'll be a lynch mob outside of Gay Byrne's door if it happens. (Hopefully)

• Advertisement

At least there won't be any cars in their way in the drive.

Advertisement