Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

As far as i'm aware and in my case anyways you get called for your meetings in your local station before your called for your medical.
    When your BR checks out you will be called for a medical soon after.
    Not sure how long notice you get?
    Can anybody verify how much notice you get before the medical?

I'm waiting same amount of time as you, What are you been told about awaiting your medical date?

Seems like that everyone that did there interview in 2008 is waiting the longest to get through the BR forms check up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 man mountain

Thanks guys (r girls not sure as im a girl) but i'm grateful for the information. I'll just have to wait then as I only done my exam and interview in June this year so I probably will be waiting a while :confused:

I actually was made redundant the week after I got the acceptance letter so I'm back at college studying so maybe 'll get called for my medical next year :P

Good Luck to whoever is going training this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭we3gkfu6qit95s

I'm waiting same amount of time as you, What are you been told about awaiting your medical date?

Seems like that everyone that did there interview in 2008 is waiting the longest to get through the BR forms check up.

Cant help but think theyv forgotten bout us an there moving through the more recent people faster..
    It was all going so well for me had my super interviews within 6 months then after that nothing.
    do youv relatives abroad?
    theyv told me there waiting on a couple of files to come back to them.
    In fairness to them once it reaches them its shipped out to different depts so its nothing to do with them..

Cant help but think theyv forgotten bout us an there moving through the more recent people faster..
    It was all going so well for me had my super interviews within 6 months then after that nothing.
    do youv relatives abroad?
    theyv told me there waiting on a couple of files to come back to them.
    In fairness to them once it reaches them its shipped out to different depts so its nothing to do with them..

No i have no one abroad that i put on the form anyway and my family have no charge all military family like
    I know your pain i thought I would of been in and out by now felt the same way as yourself got my forms signed T's crossed I's dotted and then then the interview with the super after that its like speaking to a wall i've heard nothing from no one exact excuses as yourself i've heard.
    I know its sent of to other department and that but this taking a slowness to another level and the fact that we have to hound people to find out whats what is the annoying thing like haha:D

Have you called the hq recently??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

It's shocking the waiting involved with BR checks,

I spoke with my local Inspector (she was very helpful) and asked about a family member living abroad but unemployed and with no fixed abode. I was told this would take considerable amount of time to check out as it's a foreign country that do the search and then report back.

Appears there is also other work loads (within Garda H.Q.) that take precident over BR checks too. So depending on how busy the department is, the checks can be done quickly or (as we're finding out) very, very slowly.

I've doubled checked this with another Garda I know who told me, the BR Checks do take a long time to be completed.... nobody has a clue who or how we can follow this up

Guess I'm in for a very long wait for the reserves and God only knows if succesful in the full time post (interviews) how long it will take !! icon8.gif

• Advertisement

GRHopefull wrote: »
    It's shocking the waiting involved with BR checks,

I spoke with my local Inspector (she was very helpful) and asked about a family member living abroad but unemployed and with no fixed abode. I was told this would take considerable amount of time to check out as it's a foreign country that do the search and then report back.

Appears there is also other work loads (within Garda H.Q.) that take precident over BR checks too. So depending on how busy the department is, the checks can be done quickly or (as we're finding out) very, very slowly.

I've doubled checked this with another Garda I know who told me, the BR Checks do take a long time to be completed.... nobody has a clue who or how we can follow this up

Guess I'm in for a very long wait for the reserves and God only knows if succesful in the full time post (interviews) how long it will take !! icon8.gif

I theres still a few seats in this waiting room ha

How long have you waiting?

I theres still a few seats in this waiting room ha

How long have you waiting?

Am not waiting very long compared to others here but this news came as a bit of a surprise when I queried it.

The whole process starts off great and things get moving quickly and you feel like you're getting somewhere when you meet the local sgt. & inspector and they're saying, you'll be highly recommended and hope to work with you very soon.............. then the BR checks, talk about a slow process !!

Could/should have just kept any names of family living abroad off the form...

Am not waiting very long compared to others here but this news came as a bit of a surprise when I queried it.

The whole process starts off great and things get moving quickly and you feel like you're getting somewhere when you meet the local sgt. & inspector and they're saying, you'll be highly recommended and hope to work with you very soon.............. then the BR checks, talk about a slow process !!

Could/should have just kept any names of family living abroad off the form...

I know yeah i wonder how many people are waiting since 2008 for the call up.

I was told the exact same as what you were can't belive the shock of the wait tho.

I know yeah i wonder how many people are waiting since 2009 for the call up.

I was told the exact same as what you were can't belive the shock of the wait tho.

Exactly, the wait seems to go on and on......... I was aware there would be a wait but still,

And the crazy thing (for me anyway), as much as I try not to think about it, the more it's getting to me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Hi guys. I havnt been on since January!! Since then feck all has happened, no word at all, apart from filling in an educational exemption form last month, my background checks came through (only waited 2years that's all!!) lol... So my file has been sent to the commissioner... Hopefully I'll be in Decembers intake. I'm sick waiting. I applied in 2008!! Br checks took 18months!! Fingers crossed for December. The reason I havnt been on since last January is because it's hard seeing people around you get in while your still waiting... So people please don't get yeer hopes up.. It takes time, I regret telling my family because they always ask me 'when' and 'why' I'm just as frustrated as they are lol anyway hope all is well and is anyone going to the reserve Xmas party?? All is welcome... Members and hopefuls x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

is anyone going to the reserve Xmas party?? All is welcome... Members and hopefuls x

When and where?

stiofanD wrote: »
    When and where?

Hey stiofan..
    It's in fitsimons hotel in templebar Dublin on the 13th of this month. Next Saturday!!! If you add gardareserve as a friend on facebook you'll see they're inviting everyone to it. It would be great to talk to existing members and see how they get on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 popejohnpaws

hi I would like to join the Garda reserve.the only problem is I'm in 6th year could I still apply now as the wait is long enough and by the time I get anywhere I would have my leaving cert done.so is it possible to apply? any info would be great thanks!

hi I would like to join the Garda reserve.the only problem is I'm in 6th year could I still apply now as the wait is long enough and by the time I get anywhere I would have my leaving cert done.so is it possible to apply? any info would be great thanks!

I don't think so because you have to have your leaving cert done. Look on the Garda website in careers-reserve-educational requirements. See the first written, interviews and checks go through within the first 6months after applying, it's just the waiting for br checks to come back that takes time. I don't think you can :-(

Actually just ring Hq and ask them. They might consider an educational exemption, considering the wait???!!!! 016662571 niall is the guys name, he's very helpful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 popejohnpaws

Actually just ring Hq and ask them. They might consider an educational exemption, considering the wait???!!!! 016662571 niall is the guys name, he's very helpful!
    thanks! I'll give them a ring first thing tomorrow hopefully they will make an exception.

Hi guys. I havnt been on since January!! Since then feck all has happened, no word at all, apart from filling in an educational exemption form last month, my background checks came through (only waited 2years that's all!!) lol... So my file has been sent to the commissioner... Hopefully I'll be in Decembers intake. I'm sick waiting. I applied in 2008!! Br checks took 18months!! Fingers crossed for December. The reason I havnt been on since last January is because it's hard seeing people around you get in while your still waiting... So people please don't get yeer hopes up.. It takes time, I regret telling my family because they always ask me 'when' and 'why' I'm just as frustrated as they are lol anyway hope all is well and is anyone going to the reserve Xmas party?? All is welcome... Members and hopefuls x
    Omg thats exactly the way my family is with me ha.

Everyone is welcome so any Joe soap can stroll in haha i ain't going to that the last thing i need is to get pissed and get nicked by the very same peepz im locked with despite the fact i don't no anybody there ha

Exactly, the wait seems to go on and on......... I was aware there would be a wait but still,

And the crazy thing (for me anyway), as much as I try not to think about it, the more it's getting to me....

Haha thats like me iswell it puts me in a bad mood:mad: ha

are you gonna keep in contact with them or just wait it out?

Omg thats exactly the way my family is with me ha.

Everyone is welcome so any Joe soap can stroll in haha i ain't going to that the last thing i need is to get pissed and get nicked by the very same peepz im locked with despite the fact i don't no anybody there ha

Lol I see!! Yeah they're inviting anyone by the looks of it, I won't know anyone either so I dunno what to do... But I would like a reserves perspective!!!

Lol I see!! Yeah they're inviting anyone by the looks of it, I won't know anyone either so I dunno what to do... But I would like a reserves perspective!!!
    haha Ah sure it is nice that there doing it but i would like to think when my christmas party in here comes up people i know come haha.
    How long have you been waiting for your checks to clear

• Advertisement

haha Ah sure it is nice that there doing it but i would like to think when my christmas party in here comes up people i know come haha.
    How long have you been waiting for your checks to clear

True too... They were sent off on 5th June 09 only came back last month!!!! :-( so just waiting for the comissioners decision and a medical!!

Haha thats like me iswell it puts me in a bad mood:mad: ha

are you gonna keep in contact with them or just wait it out?

Am not really sure what to do, as i've seen other posts were HQ were contacted and informed the caller BR checks still being completed.... Am seriously frustrated as i can't wait to get involved.

Am starting to think it's a test of some sort..... how patient are you???

Am not really sure what to do, as i've seen other posts were HQ were contacted and informed the caller BR checks still being completed.... Am seriously frustrated as i can't wait to get involved.

They told me the reason mine took so long is because iv an uncle in Spain. I feel ur pain :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

when are the background checks done? is it when you've completed your interview? iv sent my application how long do ye reckon il be waiting before i hear anything>?

i thought that is well but you can only test someones patiences until its brakes ha..

I'm patient enough as i have a few options that i'm waiting to come back too and i'm trying not think about it but two of my mates are heading the army there back ground checks, fitness test, and interview were done in three weeks ha really makes you think tho what there up to with the files.

They told me the reason mine took so long is because iv an uncle in Spain. I feel ur pain :-(

Your uncle sounds a wise man leaving this place tho haha
    are you calling them regularly??

when are the background checks done? is it when you've completed your interview? iv sent my application how long do ye reckon il be waiting before i hear anything>?

I'll give u my dates...

Oct 08 I applied
    feb 09 I did the written and interview
    April 09 I did the Sargent interview
    June 09 super interview and checks sent off
    oct 10 they called for me to fill in an exemption form as I don't have maths
    now.... Waiting for the comissioners to say YES!!!

Your uncle sounds a wise man leaving this place tho haha
    are you calling them regularly??

Yea I know haha!! I call them every now and then!
    Look people the waiting for checks isint a conspiracy!! Communication between countries is at an all time low aparantly!!! U have to remember funds are lacking and at the end of the day it's reserves not full time so they're not gonna push them through as quick... It's all about the money!!!

Yea I know haha!! I call them every now and then!
    Look people the waiting for checks isint a conspiracy!! Communication between countries is at an all time low aparantly!!! U have to remember funds are lacking and at the end of the day it's reserves not full time so they're not gonna push them through as quick... It's all about the money!!!
    Those phone bills never any good news on them ha.
    Did you do your interview in june ?

• Advertisement

Those phone bills never any good news on them ha.
    Did you do your interview in june ?

I did my super interview in June 09!! Look above!! What bout you??

Advertisement