Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Force - (See Moderator note in first post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I did my super interview in June 09!! Look above!! What bout you??
    Sorry i didnt read your posts chill out haha its funky friday
    I did mine in march 2008 :D im only smiling because its friday ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Sorry i didnt read your posts chill out haha its funky friday
    I did mine in march 2008 :D im only smiling because its friday ha

Aaaaah did you just witness my stern side.... My bad!! I know thank crunchie it's Friday!!! Pay day!!! Jesus I complain that I'm waiting long!! Have you relatives abroad??

Aaaaah did you just witness my stern side.... My bad!! I know thank crunchie it's Friday!!! Pay day!!! Jesus I complain that I'm waiting long!! Have you relatives abroad??
    haha yeah i did and it wasn't nice im in work away thinking i've to apologise something haha
    I know im waiting ages i have an uncle in the US i never even put him on the form so i don't know what the hold up is i was speaking to someone the HQ and they said my files only came known to them on the 2nd of septmeber 2010 i was like :eek: ha you get the picture.

haha yeah i did and it wasn't nice im in work away thinking i've to apologise something haha
    I know im waiting ages i have an uncle in the US i never even put him on the form so i don't know what the hold up is i was speaking to someone the HQ and they said my files only came known to them on the 2nd of septmeber 2010 i was like :eek: ha you get the picture.

Lol I'd make some serious cop on traffic
    corps!! Lol Grr
    hmm should u have left him off the form though? And u do realise it's ur local stations fault that they didn't receive ur file? That's a pain in d ass!! U could be waiting another year like all because of that!!

Lol I'd make some serious cop on traffic
    corps!! Lol Grr
    hmm should u have left him off the form though? And u do realise it's ur local stations fault that they didn't receive ur file? That's a pain in d ass!! U could be waiting another year like all because of that!!
    i didnt put him on the form like i don't know what the hold up is all about ah if my local station i understand if there busy its not the quitest area in the world.
    Another year thanks for the support really appreciate that haha not even a ah you might get it in december.
    Ye i can only imagine you shouting stop then hammer time in the middle of a dual carraigeway or something ha

• Advertisement

i didnt put him on the form like i don't know what the hold up is all about ah if my local station i understand if there busy its not the quitest area in the world.
    Another year thanks for the support really appreciate that haha not even a ah you might get it in december.
    Ye i can only imagine you shouting stop then hammer time in the middle of a dual carraigeway or something ha

Hammer time??? Hahahhaha!!!
    Oh way to make me feel bad!!!!!
    Ah maybe u might get in for December hahahha!!
    No on a serious note they might push yours through as they took so long to get to them!! And eh busy or not how hard is it to put something into an envelope and send it!!!!
    Mine took 18months from when they received them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 popejohnpaws

hi I rang hq today and the guy said I would be able to apply! my question how do I apply do I print off and send the interview application form? and If so what do I write down for the leaving cert part do I just fill in the exemption part as im still in leaving cert? an info would be great thanks!

Hammer time??? Hahahhaha!!!
    Oh way to make me feel bad!!!!!
    Ah maybe u might get in for December hahahha!!
    No on a serious note they might push yours through as they took so long to get to them!! And eh busy or not how hard is it to put something into an envelope and send it!!!!
    Mine took 18months from when they received them!!!
    Well you made me think i'm gonna be waiting until im old and rusty to get in. so yeah feel bad now haha.
    I wont get in December stop tryna fill in for your mistake:( hahaha
    Ah yeah they get it through hopefully it does like i'm waiting probably the longest here ha.
    Why 18 months that so long compared to others no me im better haha either that or they just don't want me ha and i knwon i fully agree like i completed everything nearly two years ago now coming to three years soon its like an anniversary ha

hi I rang hq today and the guy said I would be able to apply! my question how do I apply do I print off and send the interview application form? and If so what do I write down for the leaving cert part do I just fill in the exemption part as im still in leaving cert? an info would be great thanks!

You fill in the forms on publicjobs.ie all the information there is then sent to public appointments service you might wanna call them and see what they say about the leaving certifacte as there the ones that will process it just tell them what you were told.call 8587400

You fill in the forms on publicjobs.ie all the information there is then sent to public appointments service you might wanna call them and see what they say about the leaving certifacte as there the ones that will process it just tell them what you were told.call 8587400

Yeah iv done this, just on the form it asks about education and it asks if u need an exemption, you say yes and explain your case!! Alls good in the hood so fire ahead and fill in the form :-)

• Advertisement

Yeah iv done this, just on the form it asks about education and it asks if u need an exemption, you say yes and explain your case!! Alls good in the hood so fire ahead and fill in the form :-)
    i know you did i seen it above!! :eek: hahaha gotcha

i just rang there and was advised to wait till after xmas.i was told that my case for an exemption wasn't exceptional.i do work wit the community doh so woud that count? even doh i was told wait i still would like to apply now to get the ball rolling,dont know that to do now any advice?

i know you did i seen it above!! :eek: hahaha gotcha

Sgt bilko don't make me open up a can of whop ass....

Paws I take their advice and just wait!! If that's the case when you send it off they'll just decline ur application

Paws I take their advice and just wait!! If that's the case when you send it off they'll just decline ur application

yah the guy on the phone said i can apply now but he said he would wait till after xmas so looks like il have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

With the flow of conversation by people it can be very easy to slip into text-speak as if having conversation over a mobile. I would just like to remind people on here about text-speak and our full forum charter. I don't want anyone to fall foul of warnings or infractions on their profiles over something that could very easily be avoided by being more observant of what they post.

Thanks everyone.
    kerry4sam

yah the guy on the phone said i can apply now but he said he would wait till after xmas so looks like il have to.

Well at home be getting your application ready, even print out the background check form and get that ready!! That form is alot of work. I can send you a copy if you need it. Christmas is only 7weeks away!! Practice your written and interview too.... You need 3 scenarios for your interview, mine were Teamwork, Solving A Difficult Problem and Being Involved In Your Local Area. You need to think of at least two different stories for each scenario. And practice saying them out loud!!! These change, this is just an example of what I got!! Also for the written <Mod Edit> They go through a quick one first just to show you how it's done! There's loads you can be doing in the mean time!!

<Mod Edit: # You may not describe or request, in any way, details of any role plays, video clips, examinations, questionnaires, spoken word or physical task that may be used in the recruitment process of any employer. Helping someone prepare for an interview is fine, but telling someone what the questions are before the exam is cheating.

Well at home be getting your application ready, even print out the background check form and get that ready!! That form is alot of work. I can send you a copy if you need it. Christmas is only 7weeks away!! Practice your written and interview too.... You need 3 scenarios for your interview, mine were Teamwork, Solving A Difficult Problem and Being Involved In Your Local Area. You need to think of at least two different stories for each scenario. And practice saying them out loud!!! These change, this is just an example of what I got!! Also for the written <Mod Edit> they go through a quick one first just to show you how it's done! There's loads you can be doing in the mean time!!

yeah your right! doing that will surely pass some time.would you be able to send me the background check form? would like to sort that and work on the written exam.thanks again for the all the info its much appreciated!

Sgt bilko don't make me open up a can of whop ass....

Haha that can would do sweet F all to try scare me haha
    How long do reckon you will be waiting to get in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

Hay all,

Does anyone who is waiting 1yr + have any family members living abroad ?

Am curious to know if this may be one of the main reasons for delays with BR checks........... I'm also aware of family members who may not have been put on the BR form but I'm just curious. I've a family member abroad and am now very much aware this will be a long waiting process because of the country at which my family member lives.

Am not going to bother ringing HQ consistantly as, I've read in previous posts they will only say the "BR checks are still being completed".

Finally, any applicants on here from 2008, I really feel for you guys, still waiting to hear !!! Clearly this is a test of patient's, you guys must have passed.

Unfortunately, this might well be the case for me too (the long wait).....

Hey grhopefull,
    I am waiting since 2008 :-(
    My br checks took 18months. Ive an aunt in England and an uncle in Spain!!
    The GR office said that it's possibly my uncle in Spain which held up the checks as there is a lack of communication between the two countries.. or at least that's what she said... I suppose language etc plus I guess if your a police officer in Spain and your a busy man are you really going to bother chasing up my uncle for the Irish Government lol they told me that if they hear nothing back they send reminders every six months so your really at the mercy of the people in whatever country your relative is from!! Although I really wouldn't recommend leaving anyone off the form, if you get caught you'll never get into the guards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Hey grhopefull,
    I am waiting since 2008 :-(
    My br checks took 18months. Ive an aunt in England and an uncle in Spain!!
    The GR office said that it's possibly my uncle in Spain which held up the checks as there is a lack of communication between the two countries.. or at least that's what she said... I suppose language etc plus I guess if your a police officer in Spain and your a busy man are you really going to bother chasing up my uncle for the Irish Government lol they told me that if they hear nothing back they send reminders every six months so your really at the mercy of the people in whatever country your relative is from!! Although I really wouldn't recommend leaving anyone off the form, if you get caught you'll never get into the guards!!

Well if i were you i would have left the spanish connection out...
    being too honest can be a mistake ..
    and as far as getting into the guards is concerned all openings that will come up in future will be snapped up by people who are connected already to the force.. for example your dad is a sarge and so on...
    Honesty ... yeah right....:cool:...

trail man wrote: »
    Well if i were you i would have left the spanish connection out...
    being too honest can be a mistake ..
    and as far as getting into the guards is concerned all openings that will come up in future will be snapped up by people who are connected already to the force.. for example your dad is a sarge and so on...
    Honesty ... yeah right....:cool:...

Well because I want to be a guard and that's all ive ever wanted to do I'm not going to take the risk of leaving someone off the form, and as far as people getting in because of who they know... Your wrong! Everyone has to do an aptitude... Everyone has to pass all the steps... I have a friend who's father is the local inspector and he failed his interview for the guards two years ago.... Every applicant goes through the comissioner, I can't see how there would be any favouritism!! And if there is... They are far and few between with sun shining out of their.... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trail man

Well because I want to be a guard and that's all ive ever wanted to do I'm not going to take the risk of leaving someone off the form, and as far as people getting in because of who they know... Your wrong! Everyone has to do an aptitude... Everyone has to pass all the steps... I have a friend who's father is the local inspector and he failed his interview for the guards two years ago.... Every applicant goes through the comissioner, I can't see how there would be any favouritism!! And if there is... They are far and few between with sun shining out of their.... :-)

Well dental nurse you are to be commended for your enthuaism and gumption and most of all your belief in the integrity of the system..
    perhaps in a years time you could revisit my reply and in the benefit of mature reflection ASK THE SAME QUESTION AGAIN ..
    Best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 collig2

Im still waiting on the BR forms to be completed and hoping for the medical soon. Just wondering whether the majority of people had 1 or 2 interviews with Sgt. and/or Super? Ive only had one, about 5 months ago. Dont even know wether he was a Sgt. or Super...:o Starting to regret putting a relative from america down on the form...(handed the BR form in early March 2010 and applied this time last year) naively thought it would be a fast process...waiting sucks majorly..

collig2 wrote: »
    Im still waiting on the BR forms to be completed and hoping for the medical soon. Just wondering whether the majority of people had 1 or 2 interviews with Sgt. and/or Super? Ive only had one, about 5 months ago. Dont even know wether he was a Sgt. or Super...:o Starting to regret putting a relative from america down on the form...(handed the BR form in early March 2010 and applied this time last year) naively thought it would be a fast process...waiting sucks majorly..

I had two interviews one with the station seargant and another with the superintendant but usually its one i don't know why i had to do two.
    The waiting list is extremely long but some people that have recently applied are getting in fast enough so you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Destiny

I first applied for the reserves a year last October, had my interview in November 2009, which went fine. After that I got the BR Form filled and brought it to my local station. I only got a call this September for an interview with the Sergeant. What was confusing is that I was called for an interview at a Station that wasn't in Sligo, where I live, but in Galway, Clifden to be precise. Anyways, I went for the interview which went fine, sergeant told me that all my background check was done and there was no problems with it. It was basically a character check. I have to go for an interview with the Super at the station, but still havn't heard anything, though they told me I was going to be called a few weeks ago. I just hate all the waiting, just wanna join, with the hope of joining the force full time when and if they recruit. Not looking good at the moment, I guess we're just gonna have to be patient. :(

Destiny wrote: »
    I first applied for the reserves a year last October, had my interview in November 2009, which went fine. After that I got the BR Form filled and brought it to my local station. I only got a call this September for an interview with the Sergeant. What was confusing is that I was called for an interview at a Station that wasn't in Sligo, where I live, but in Galway, Clifden to be precise. Anyways, I went for the interview which went fine, sergeant told me that all my background check was done and there was no problems with it. It was basically a character check. I have to go for an interview with the Super at the station, but still havn't heard anything, though they told me I was going to be called a few weeks ago. I just hate all the waiting, just wanna join, with the hope of joining the force full time when and if they recruit. Not looking good at the moment, I guess we're just gonna have to be patient. :(

Are you waiting on medical now or waiting to go down to templemore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Destiny

Are you waiting on medical now or waiting to go down to templemore?

Both...:rolleyes:

I actually rang the Garda Reserve Unit today to see was there a reason for my delay. They told me to get back onto the Garda Station where I had my interview, and to tell them to organise a date for an interview with the Super there. So, it's the Garda Station who are delaying things for me. As soon as they send in the final report to the Reserve Unit, then I'll be able to do my medical and start the training.

Here's hoping...:)

I actually rang the Garda Reserve Unit today to see was there a reason for my delay. They told me to get back onto the Garda Station where I had my interview, and to tell them to organise a date for an interview with the Super there. So, it's the Garda Station who are delaying things for me. As soon as they send in the final report to the Reserve Unit, then I'll be able to my medical and start the training.

Oh noway I'd say your fuming get on to them pronto ha tell them you've been to tell them to senmd the details as the guy asked they should do it fairly fast.
    That happened to me all my documents were sent of in september 2009 I did my interviews in the station in march 2008 and i'm still waiting so learn from my example ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 GRHopefull

I actually rang the Garda Reserve Unit today to see was there a reason for my delay. They told me to get back onto the Garda Station where I had my interview, and to tell them to organise a date for an interview with the Super there. So, it's the Garda Station who are delaying things for me. As soon as they send in the final report to the Reserve Unit, then I'll be able to do my medical and start the training.

Best of luck, hope you get the call soon.......

Advertisement