Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

No didn't have alarm, am getting one at the moment though. ;)

Dead right on the courts, sure the cops went looking for them, came back ten minutes later, with "no Joy". Took my name and other general details and said, sure call us if they come back.

I don't think they where being lazy, it's just that they know there's nothing they can realistically do to stop them. If they catch them and charge them they get out pending trial, and will inevitably end up as a misdemeanor anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

this sort of stuff starts happening in the run to December :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Thaedydal wrote: »
    this sort of stuff starts happening in the run to December :(

:( Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

One of these

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Slydice wrote: »
    :( Any advice?

Get a monitored alarm fitted, and use it all the time, even when you're in the house.
    Ensure there are proper locks on your front and rear doors, 2 if you can. Use them.

I heard recently that a large percentage of house robberies occur during mid-afternoon, often while the house is occupied, and that the point of entry is the front door in the majority of cases. Think this is the report in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks for the heads up Mace.

Their manner of break-in was very strange indeed!

Would you mind saying what estate you are in? (Or general area eg. beside village and if you are in new or old estate etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Near Huntstown, 3 houses got done yesterday within about a 2 min walk of each other, I know for a fact the same bloke did at least two of them, he was caught and is on remand.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

Don't want to say the exact estate, but it was at the back of Allendale. Near to the Spar shop and topaz garage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just a kindly reminder folks that there is now a home security systems forum where a lot of info on alarms can be found. There is a regular bunch of members who are installers that give out good advice on what you might need.

• Advertisement

alarms can be great but are only half the battle. for some of the monitored packages, the guards have a three call out policy on false alarms. if your neighbour phones them to report an alarm going off- sometimes they don't even come out to check. i guess they are generally too busy giving out fines at the sided of the road.
    the first line of defense lies in making it as hard as possible for burglars to get past your windows and doors. some are brazen feckers who'll just smash the window to get in. theres not a hell of a lot you can do to prevent this type at a reasonable cost, except hope you have an alarm that is monitored or a concerned neighbour.
    the more experienced will either try to force open the window - 1 minute if hes good- , or remove the glass if its externally glazed - 2 to 5 mins. depending on the alarm and the sensors used, some alarms won't even go off. i have demonstrated this to people.
    the professional burglar is generally coming in for something specific. car keys for one, so good advice is not to take the keys to bed with you, because you don't want them waking you up with boiling water or a smack of a crow bar. they will generally come in through the door by snapping or drilling the cylinder, or popping the locks from their receivers.
    there are things you can apply to slow these guys down so that they'll opt to try someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Gaspode wrote: »
    Get a monitored alarm fitted, and use it all the time, even when you're in the house.
    Ensure there are proper locks on your front and rear doors, 2 if you can. Use them.

I heard recently that a large percentage of house robberies occur during mid-afternoon, often while the house is occupied, and that the point of entry is the front door in the majority of cases. Think this is the report in question.

A friend of a friend lives out in Windy Arbour. One of them popped out for lunch a few months ago without putting the alarm on. Came back and all the goodies were cleared out, widescreen HD tv, laptops etc. Pried open the front door in broad daylight by the Luas stop and no one saw a thing.

people are afraid to confront burglars. couldn't blame them really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well there are many, many estates in D15. Was there once and got lost :D

Around our area, you see vans touring the estates around 4am or 5am and the lads dropping off their bogus clothes donation stickers.
    Our post box is on the wall and they still try to open our door, I've seen the handle move. Got reported to the gardaí and our local councillor

I realy do think a lot of these clothes donation scams are an easy excuse to check out estates and look for easy targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Well there are many, many estates in D15. Was there once and got lost :D

Around our area, you see vans touring the estates around 4am or 5am and the lads dropping off their bogus clothes donation stickers.
    Our post box is on the wall and they still try to open our door, I've seen the handle move. Got reported to the gardaí and our local councillor

I realy do think a lot of these clothes donation scams are an easy excuse to check out estates and look for easy targets.

They are, I've had a Gard tell me as much, they'll also check your car doors as they're walking past but in this day and age if anyone leaves their car doors open they deserve to have it taken.

Nolimits wrote: »
    They are, I've had a Gard tell me as much, they'll also check your car doors as they're walking past but in this day and age if anyone leaves their car doors open they deserve to have it taken.

how the hell does anyone deserve to have their car taken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

kitser wrote: »

I don't think it was meant literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭Rosita

amdublin wrote: »

How could it not have been meant literally? You cannot have your car stolen in the abstract. It was just a silly disproportionate thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Keep your alarms on everyone. There was a few going around last night banging on doors to see if the alarms are going off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,020 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Nolimits wrote: »
    amdublin wrote: »
    Rosita wrote: »
    How could it not have been meant literally? You cannot have your car stolen in the abstract. It was just a silly disproportionate thing to say.

MOD NOTE: Relax folks, dont get drawn off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Where abouts Paddy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

the professional burglar is generally coming in for something specific. car keys for one, so good advice is not to take the keys to bed with you, because you don't want them waking you up with boiling water or a smack of a crow bar.

I leave the car keys in the ignition and car unlocked

Last place they'd look ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭horse7

fed up with the local castleknock college idiots who live in deerpark,they are mid teens and like nothing better than kicking a rugby ball high in the sky and see what window or car it lands on.they leg it when you go out to them.im sure their parents think butter would not melt in their mouths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Monia

I moved into Collegewood about 3 months ago , and I was very happy until my car was clamped on Vistors space, my brothers car window was smashed and finaly RATS vistited into my apartment!!!!I already cought 2 in my kitchen( use rat Trat) and ther are still running above ceiling and behind the walls.Just talked to the neighbours and they have that problem too.Management is useless and will not do anything about that.I am so scared and cant imagine leave here anylonger.If anoyone have the same problem plese contact Management ASAP!!I am on the grand floor but neigbours from the 2nd floor seen them too.I am just afraid as they are very dengarous and spread diseases!!than longer Managemnt leave it behind then more rats will be moving into Collegewood apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭KingMambo26

Great Halloween weekend we had. Saturday night we had a firecracker thrown in through the letterbox while we were out in the evening. It cracked the door panel around it and destroyed a cardboard toy box on the inside of the door. Last night we had our brown bin stolen at around 10pm just a week after our green bin had been stolen.

We've been living on this estate on the Clonsilla Rd for about 6 years and we hadn't really had any problems but in the last year we've had four attempts to break into the garden shed - two of them successful one bike stolen every time. A few months ago my wife rang me terrified while I was on a night out to tell me there were guys with hurleys banging on the door. Apparently they were looking for a lost sliothar but who plays hurling at 11pm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just read the last reeply there

same ting with weelybin last night for my mates house on the estate of the clonsilla road, we were in the house , the dopes didnt notice , we caught them at the window went out , and lets just say they got a reason "to get their brothers" :P

i hate dublin 15 now, its turned into a sh*t whole and its full of scum and the littles ones are getting into their hard man role

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

I live in Castlecurragh. Since the Gardai started patrolling, what seems like every 20 minutes.. Its OK. But its still full of scum, and their kids hanging around the Spar/Offlicense/Bookmakers (What a great combo in that neighbourhood).

But the worst is the little kids, maybe not even 10, who thinks that they can verbally abuse adults. I usually just plug in my earbuds and ignore them, but as scum goes thats a legitimate reason to harass for weeks. This hasnt been the case to me yet, but they hung out outside a neighbours house..

Dublin 15 in general is too full of knackers, theres horse poop everywhere. What the hell is that about. Who holds horses in a city?! Where do the horses live, I only see the poop not the horses?! (talking about my house here).

I actually NEARLY got run down by a horse on snugborough road walking from the industrial estate down to westpoint. Some idiot on a massive horse had decided to gallop at full speed down the pedestrial walkway across waterville. I didnt notice it before it zoomed past me, dangerous that was. I can say alot of things, but I have never, ever, seen nor even heard of such things in other European cities. Atleast the developed ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,947 ✭✭✭✭Stark

noxqs wrote:
    But the worst is the little kids, maybe not even 10, who thinks that they can verbally abuse adults. I usually just plug in my earbuds and ignore them, but as scum goes thats a legitimate reason to harass for weeks. This hasnt been the case to me yet, but they hung out outside a neighbours house..

I had the same problem. Several weeks of being unable to go outside without having abuse hurled at me, urinating in the letter box and the like. Thank god I got out of there.

Edit: Ah I see I already posted the same thing 3 years ago when this thread was last active.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

which estate off the clonsilla road is this happening on? its not coolmine woods or bouelvard or woodview grove so which one is it? i would hazzard a guess and say summerfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

I live just before you in warrenstown and it has been fairly quite until recently. I have too seen the horses around the estate and the kids hurling abuse at you. And the dogs running wild trying to grab onto the tyres. I have to say the place is getting to rough for my liking and im looking into moving out of the area!
    noxqs wrote: »
    I live in Castlecurragh. Since the Gardai started patrolling, what seems like every 20 minutes.. Its OK. But its still full of scum, and their kids hanging around the Spar/Offlicense/Bookmakers (What a great combo in that neighbourhood).

Dublin 15 in general is too full of knackers, theres horse poop everywhere. What the hell is that about. Who holds horses in a city?! Where do the horses live, I only see the poop not the horses?! (talking about my house here).

I actually NEARLY got run down by a horse on snugborough road walking from the industrial estate down to westpoint. Some idiot on a massive horse had decided to gallop at full speed down the pedestrial walkway across waterville. I didnt notice it before it zoomed past me, dangerous that was. I can say alot of things, but I have never, ever, seen nor even heard of such things in other European cities. Atleast the developed ones...

I live just before you in warrenstown and it has been fairly quite until recently. I have too seen the horses around the estate and the kids hurling abuse at you. And the dogs running wild trying to grab onto the tyres. I have to say the place is getting to rough for my liking and im looking into moving out of the area!

Advertisement