Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbourhood Watch Merged Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Stark wrote: »
    I had the same problem. Several weeks of being unable to go outside without having abuse hurled at me, urinating in the letter box and the like. Thank god I got out of there.

Edit: Ah I see I already posted the same thing 3 years ago when this thread was last active.

Does this really happen, that's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mick1166

I agree with you Blondie, I used to live in Warrenstown as well. The place is going down to hell, there are scum bags everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The horses are coming from either down around Porterstown or Ballycoolin and out towards the airport - the corporate parks up there are forever having trouble with some of the umm, residents, out that way. Blanch corporate park had to go and inspect their entire fence after some broke a hole in it to bypass the gate security and were robbing industrial units during the daytime.

They do it on CCTV too, the Gardai catch them, and hey presto, a few weeks later they're back.

There's also a lot of horses, you often see them riding on their trap coming from the direction of the scrap dump / finglas down, and the horse crap is all over the footpaths.

As for down south in the estates themselves, it is getting rougher in my observation. You can't walk to the shops in some parts without taking abuse or risking some form of altercation.

One Thursday I popped into Hartstown spar for their weekly deals (it's a good trick, don't miss it) and there were some brave youngfellas kicking their football - with force - into the wall by the garage as people, including lone women, were walking past.

Brave men.

The Gardai could pop in there for a coffee once a day and end up bringing someone home to the station for a cool down.

Same around plenty of places.

Nasty neighbours can be the worst though, when you live next to some real abusive people. From stolen bin tags to broken windows, and you need to wire your house up with your own CCTV aimed at your property if you want any chance of catching them.

Crazy stuff. Why can't folks just get along?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Merged threads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

noxqs wrote: »
    I live in Castlecurragh. Since the Gardai started patrolling, what seems like every 20 minutes.. Its OK. But its still full of scum, and their kids hanging around the Spar/Offlicense/Bookmakers (What a great combo in that neighbourhood).

But the worst is the little kids, maybe not even 10, who thinks that they can verbally abuse adults. I usually just plug in my earbuds and ignore them, but as scum goes thats a legitimate reason to harass for weeks. This hasnt been the case to me yet, but they hung out outside a neighbours house..

Dublin 15 in general is too full of knackers, theres horse poop everywhere. What the hell is that about. Who holds horses in a city?! Where do the horses live, I only see the poop not the horses?! (talking about my house here).

I actually NEARLY got run down by a horse on snugborough road walking from the industrial estate down to westpoint. Some idiot on a massive horse had decided to gallop at full speed down the pedestrial walkway across waterville. I didnt notice it before it zoomed past me, dangerous that was. I can say alot of things, but I have never, ever, seen nor even heard of such things in other European cities. Atleast the developed ones...

How many other European cities have you lived in let alone lived in what would be considered a bad area of the city? Obviously you're not going to hear or see of it happening.

I'm not in anyway supporting or condoning what is going on, I hate these scumbags who are ruining reasonable areas but I just hate this mentality that Dublin is so dangerous and bad compared to other European cities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

RMD wrote: »
    How many other European cities have you lived in let alone lived in what would be considered a bad area of the city? Obviously you're not going to hear or see of it happening.

I'm not in anyway supporting or condoning what is going on, I hate these scumbags who are ruining reasonable areas but I just hate this mentality that Dublin is so dangerous and bad compared to other European cities.

Aside from Dublin, where in Europe have you seen horses in the capital cities?
    Or did I miss them in Paris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 EdwardHopper

I've lived in D15 my entire life, 40 years now, and I've never seen a horse within the area apart from the Phoenix Park which is not actually in D15 now that I think of it. Remember D15 is a now very big area, with a varied demographic breakdown and like other suburbs and areas of Dublin, Ireland and Europe can't be tarred with the one brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Aside from Dublin, where in Europe have you seen horses in the capital cities?
    Or did I miss them in Paris?

Were you in all of Paris? Including the suburbs? Because they're the only places I see lone wandering horses around here... I've never seen a lone wandering horse in the city centre.

Were you in all of Paris? Including the suburbs? Because they're the only places I see lone wandering horses around here... I've never seen a lone wandering horse in the city centre.

I saw an unattended horse in Sherrif Street, Dublin City.

Are you saying that you have seen a lone wandering horse in Paris?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I've lived in D15 my entire life, 40 years now, and I've never seen a horse within the area apart from the Phoenix Park which is not actually in D15 now that I think of it. Remember D15 is a now very big area, with a varied demographic breakdown and like other suburbs and areas of Dublin, Ireland and Europe can't be tarred with the one brush

I have in and arround corduff, tyrellstown and whitestown, the horses were never there for long but they were there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Wheelhaus wrote: »
    It was on my way to tesco, genius.

That's a long way to go for some grub and you pass three or four chippers on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I have in and arround corduff, tyrellstown and whitestown, the horses were never there for long but they were there.

I have seen them there too grazing out on the green and they ride them through warrenstown and out into castlecurragh. Its the poor horses i feel sorry for

• Registered Users Posts: 20,932 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Used to see them being ridden(thrashed) up and down every day on the Damastown and Cruiserath roads when I used to commute that way. Often hoped the scrote on top would get thrown off the horse and injured but sadly that never came to pass.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Used to see them being ridden(thrashed) up and down every day on the Damastown and Cruiserath roads when I used to commute that way. Often hoped the scrote on top would get thrown off the horse and injured but sadly that never came to pass.

What is more likely to happen is for the horse to run out on to the road, cause an accident and leave the drivers paying for the damage.

Or even worse cause an injury to an innocent pedestrian as they gallop along the Ongar Road (where I have seen them).

It is really unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I've lived all over Dublin, and in all honesty, D15 (Roselawn area) is the quietest and safest area I've experienced.

The only negative is that there is absolutely no sense of community. Neighbours live beside each other for 20 years and don't even know each others names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

PaulDonnellySF
    Spike in burglaries in #dubw. Please watch out for your neigbours and take precautions and up your security measures.

Any evidence or idea of neighbourhoods affected? It's sickening to read that, especially at this time of year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Always peaks this time of the year unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

A neighbour of mine was broken into two days ago. Straight in the front door at midday on a Friday, so brazen. Stole a laptop, but little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭RTT

Last week a neighbour of mine saw an Eastern European woman in my porch going through my post and was walking away with my umbrella while I was in work. She came out to her and the woman dropped it and ran. No doubt she was just havin a good look around and had my neighbour not approached her who knows what could have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

There have been a lot of sellers of 'Tat' going around the door during the day, usually at about 10am and again at 2pm. It's a way of checking which houses are occupied.
    I've come out to find them peering in next doors letter box and also having my mail in hand and have seen them trying to peer in my sitting room windows.

Being brusque with them and saying your going to ring the Garda sends them scattering, or even keep stepping to watch them try and case other nieghbours houses puts them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

House robberies are steady in allot of areas in d15. They never really went away and the same robbers who get out of prison for doing those crimes simply re-offend.

In Corduff their is about three guaranteed house robbers and the house crimes go up once they are out of prison.

St Patricks national Corduff had 22 laptops stolen ten days ago.

Yeah..we tend to have car break ins when certain individuals from a nearby area are released too, it's always easy to tell when they've be re-arrested.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My Parents' Neighbour was broken into on Thursday.. broke in through the back window and took nothing but gold jewelry..

These 'cash for gold' places have a lot to answer for imho.

Edit: Mulhuddart area.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Quite a few around Ongar in recent weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Last week there were 2 guys going around my estate selling jewellry - it was 'tat' tho, u wouldn't buy it in a pound shop. I told the guy at the door i was 'not interested, no money', and he kept it up, asking did i have a mobile phone and he would do an exchange! Meanwhile i was trying to stop the cat escaping, and was really glad my teenage son was home at the time as i felt quite intimidated by them, they were scoping out the estate i'd say. This in Mulhuddart too.

Don't know why, but even before this I was more nervous about home security. I'm one of life's scaredy cats.

There was what looked like a stolen car crashed into a lamp post just inside the Snugborough Road entrance to Waterville this morning, knocked down a young tree too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There has been a number of burglaries and attempted break-ins around the Castleknock area in recent weeks also.

I'm based in Castleknock and I had my car stolen right out from my driveway a couple of months ago.:(

Be vigilant people!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Robbery in Unit 10-2 inside the Blanch Corporate Park recently. During lunch time, they just walked in while everyone was in the canteen eating. Walked away with laptops & LCD displays.

They really don't care and have no fear.

There's a guy who parks his motorbike outside a nearby house every day with no locks on it and no alarm. I'm amazed that nobody has just wheeled it off. He must have one hell of a good insurance policy.

So good people...don't forget to be locking up your windows/doors, enabling alarms if you have them and keeping an eye out in your neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There's a guy who parks his motorbike outside a nearby house every day with no locks on it and no alarm. I'm amazed that nobody has just wheeled it off. He must have one hell of a good insurance policy.

One of the rare nights I left my motorbike unlocked outside the house it was robbed. Granted they only took it around the corner and made ****e of it trying to get it started, but still cost a bomb to repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Advice I got from the Gardai:

Install motion detection lights and if you can put some cameras up.

If you have an alarm system put it on, ask your neighbours if they'll check on your house should they hear the alarm and offer to do the same for them.

Be wary of callers to your house - if you don't like the look of them then don't open the door. If they persist call the Gardai.

Don't leave items out that can be seen from external windows: wallets, purses, handbags, laptops, mobile phones, jewellery. Anything that can be quickly snatched and easily sold on.

Advertisement