Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists worse than the religious types they despise.

Options
  • 20-10-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Ok its very seldom I start a thread on AH but there is something that really has been pissing me off as of late.

Militant Atheists!

You know the type of guys-gals who will immediately protest about religion at the slightest chance. Now dont get me wrong, im far from a right wing religious nut. Its just that recently with all these retarded threads, and with a lot of my friends its the exact same **** over and over. Even if we would so much as mention the church here or every time i would in real life pass a a church with my friends the following would ensues:

"you believe in something, o your retarded, your wrong, science is the only constant in this world, there is no proof for anything you believe in, rabble rabble"

"but i dont really believe..."

"rabble rabble rabble, church is wrong, everyone is an idiot except atheists rabble rabble"

The thing is im not talking about preachers or whatever here, these are just average everyday joe soaps like you and me. They dont work for any church they dont go to prayer meetings or whatever else the religious nutjobs seem to do.

90% of the time I feel like im dealing with born again christians trying to convert me rather than "scientific minds". And the thing is these are the same people who usually freak out if they see some religious guy so much as handing out flyers on the street. I mean at least hes doing it as part of his church (an sometimes even for a good cause). However these people just seem to love to argue about how religion is only a pack of ****.

Tl;dr : Militant Atheist types, we get it, you believe in nothing, you find it illogical that people do. However there is no need to shout it from the rooftops every 5 minutes, I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts).

EDITED to get my message a bit better across.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Tl;dr - I see a small section of Group A acting in an unreasonable manner, therefore Group A is unreasonable. I don't see Group B acting in an unreasonable manner (except for the small section that do)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yes, I find a lot of the more vocal ones are as bad as the fundamentalists of the religions they so despise..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Patricide wrote: »

Tl;dr : Atheists, we get it, you believe in nothing, you find it illogical that people do. However there is no need to shout it from the rooftops every 5 minutes, I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts).

We have our equivalent right/left (yes the left does have nutters) wing nuts.

Evangelicals are a pain in the arse would be a better thread title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Tl;dr : Atheists, we get it, you believe in nothing, you find it illogical that people do. However there is no need to shout it from the rooftops every 5 minutes, I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts).

Religious people we get it, no need to make another fùcking thread about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Agreed. Atheism is the new religious fundamentalism. Funny that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have been exploring boards a bit lately & there are Atheists & some LGBT folks as well who are really militant.

Don't take it too seriously.

Bertrand Russell observed early in the 20th century that 'The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the foolish are cocksure, whilst the intelligent are full of doubt'.

- FoxT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Cue 1000 thanks for simply launching a polemic against atheists.

Where's that "Help! We're being oppressed" image when you need it.

Ah, here it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I agree that there is a certain section of the athiest fraternity that spend their time looking down their noses at those with faith, being condscending, belittling and downright rude.

I have yet to see a thread on, until this, bemoaning athiests and being condescending towards them, yet I have lost count of the amount of anti religion threads doing exactly that.

However I know that there some fanatical believers who are just as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Look. Arrogance and obnoxiousness are human traits. They're not bound to any religion, group, race, gender, belief.

Hate the individuals but don't brand the entire group with one brush. I'm not like that and I know way more atheists who aren't than are. The dicks just happen to speak the loudest and most often.

I'm sure you wouldn't want everyone to think Fred Phelps is your representative, would you? Sure, you both believe in the same god and holy book, ye must all be as awful as he is! Right? Or does that sound ridiculous to you? Because this is pretty much what you're saying to us.

Can we not all just be reasonable with each other and stop trying to be so divisive? This is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Fundamentalists/extremists are bad in any faith.

Or lack there of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I for one am delighted that you're no longer treated like a leper in Ireland for saying that you don't believe in a big bearded sky-dwelling prick who has no respect for human life and who sets sets unreasonable, unreachable and downright sadistic goals for people in order to be "saved".

God loves you unconditionally. But if you eat meat on a Friday, you're going to hell. Fickle much?

Here's a better solution to your problem - stop talking to people about religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Was there not another sizable thread or 2 on this subject recently?

I agree that there is a certain section of the athiest fraternity that spend their time looking down their noses at those with faith, being condscending, belittling and downright rude.

I have yet to see a thread on, until this, bemoaning athiests and being condescending towards them, yet I have lost count of the amount of anti religion threads doing exactly that.

However I know that there some fanatical believers who are just as bad.

You're joking, surely? You were posting in that thread last week about this very subject along with me. If you didn't read either of those OPs as condescending then just replace the word "atheists" with "christians" in them and you should understand.

There was one about a week ago. You had about 100 posts on it.

Selective memory, perhaps?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts)..

I don't see any atheists taking such an aggressive stance (except for the more fundamentalists among us)

Pace2008 wrote: »

Must be, she/he/it even thanked the post

Pace2008 wrote: »

Nope not selective, just a mistake ;)

Ok let me rephrase apart from that thread and this one I've never seen a thread set up for the purpose of decrying athiesm, although some threads have degenerated into that.

Nope not selective, just a mistake ;)

Ok let me rephrase apart from that thread and this one I've never seen a thread set up for the purpose of decrying athiesm, although some threads have degenerated into that.

Perhaps not in AH. I've seen quite a few attempts from Christians in the A&A forum over the last while.

It happens just as much both ways, and it's not ATHEISTS (or the religious) who are the dicks. It's the individuals. When you read their posts, just think "you're a dick," not "atheists are dicks," otherwise I'm going to have to look at the Westboro Church and think "people who believe in god are dicks." And that just plain wouldn't be fair to the millions of religious people who are the polar opposite of that and in far greater numbers.

liah wrote: »
    Perhaps not in AH. I've seen quite a few attempts from Christians in the A&A forum over the last while.

It happens just as much both ways, and it's not ATHEISTS (or the religious) who are the dicks. It's the individuals. When you read their posts, just think "you're a dick," not "atheists are dicks," otherwise I'm going to have to look at the Westboro Church and think "people who believe in god are dicks." And that just plain wouldn't be fair.

I KNOW it isn't ALL athiests, I did say that in my first post. But there are some who can be pompus and condscending. I've had them call me deluded, naive, weak-minded etc.

Equally there are some people with faith who can be just as pompus.

I KNOW it isn't ALL athiests, I did say that in my first post. But there are some who can be pompus and condscending. I've had them call me deluded, naive, weak-minded etc.

Er...isn't that her point? Dickheadedness transcends creed. Some people are just dickheads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Everybody believes that they are right and those who disagree are wrong.

It's inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

FoxT wrote: »
    I have been exploring boards a bit lately & there are Atheists & some LGBT folks as well who are really militant.

what the hell are you talking about?

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u273/clogiron2_bucket/Tank_14.jpg

Are you Catholic?

Exactly. Which means threads like this are redundant as it's not a trait specific to atheists. He should just change the word "atheists" to "condescending and/or arrogant pricks." I'm sure everyone would agree with it.

Unfortunately, he didn't do that, and this has just led to useless bickering that will never end because both sides are right-- people of each side (and every other side imaginable) can be dicks, because it's not the belief they hold, it's their personality. So what the feck is the point starting this thread at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

FoxT wrote: »

Don't take it too seriously.

Bertrand Russell observed early in the 20th century that 'The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the foolish are cocksure, whilst the intelligent are full of doubt'.

- FoxT

Thanks, how else would we know your username.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Are you Catholic?

What has that got to do with anything?

In any case I am not starting that again. I got into that on A&A and caused a bit of trouble I think so not going there.

What has that got to do with anything?

In any case I am not starting that again. I got into that on A&A and caused a bit of trouble I think so not going there.

Lol, denying your faith now. It's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Mods, please lock this thread. It adds nothing to a massive thread that's probably not even 3 pages back. Please don't let this crap start again.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Lol, denying your faith now. It's a start.

Erm no I am not denying anything. I just don't want to start an argument like the last time.

Again what has this got to do with the thread?

• Advertisement

Erm no I am not denying anything. I just don't want to start an argument like the last time.

Again what has this got to do with the thread?

Don't bother responding, he's just baiting you, it is AH after all.

Advertisement