Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheists worse than the religious types they despise.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Erm no I am not denying anything.

So you're a Catholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

TheZohan wrote: »
    So you're a Catholic?

Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Mods, please lock this thread. It adds nothing to a massive thread that's probably not even 3 pages back. Please don't let this crap start again.

TOTALLY DISAGREE. We should rile people up even more, here goes: athesists and religious people are all arrogant, deluded idiots!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

liah wrote: »
    Don't bother responding, he's just baiting you, it is AH after all.

I know. I'm wondering why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Forget atheism being the new religion, it seems that debate about religious debate is now the new religious debate.

Either way it is utterly yawn inducing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't despise anyone based on their religious beliefs...

...I despise people who are gobshítes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Take the bait and then vomit it up all over him. Tell him your muslim and then proceed to call him racist, he'll love that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Well, AH is generally the place to take the piss out of each other, he knows he can push the boundaries without breaking charter and he probably sees you as someone easy to rile up.

If you want an honest discussion it's best to just ignore blatantly leading comments like that catholic bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

seamus wrote: »
    a big bearded sky-dwelling prick who has no respect for human life and who sets sets unreasonable, unreachable and downright sadistic goals for people in order to be "saved".

Perhaps if mankind started respecting human life it would be a start. Hearsay is dangerous -"Hey, I was up in the mountain and I met this God guy..." All hearsay, try a game of Chinese whispers and what you get at the end relates in know way to what was said at the start. So I wouldn't blame any God for mankind's use of artistic license.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

For my part, i am an out and out atheist, i actually despise religion of all types, i don't differentiate between, catholic, muslim, jew, pagan, rastafarian, i tar you all with the one brush and make no apology whatsover for doing so! However, i have never once felt the need to point that out to anybody without them FIRST having brought up the subject of religion to begin with.
    Nobody has ever tried to shove atheism down my throat or to convince me there is no god, but i couldn't possibly count the number of times someone has tried to convince me of the opposite! There are no atheist missions around the world (that i know of anyway) There aren't too many atheist suicide bombers, or honour killings.
    Only god/religion provokes and inspires such cruelty and evil in people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Well, AH is generally the place to take the piss out of each other, he knows he can push the boundaries without breaking charter and he probably sees you as someone easy to rile up.

If you want an honest discussion it's best to just ignore blatantly leading comments like that catholic bit.

Lol, says the "internetz gurl". You're giving the rest of us a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

. So I wouldn't blame any God for mankind's use of artistic license.

If he created both mankind and their artistic licence, why wouldn't he be to blame?
    Isn't that kind of like saying i only made the bomb, i didn't actually kill anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

If he created both mankind and their artistic licence, why wouldn't he be to blame?
    Isn't that kind of like saying i only made the bomb, i didn't actually kill anybody?

You're revealing a hard edge to your thinking that frankly your cartoon gave no indication of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Patricide wrote: »
    Ok its very seldom I start a thread on AH but there is something that really has been pissing me off as of late.

Atheists!

Now dont get me wrong, im far from a right wing religious nut. Its just that recently with all these retarded threads, and with a lot of my friends its the exact same **** over and over. Even if we would so much as mention the church here or every time i would in real life pass a a church with my friends the following would ensues:

"you believe in something, o your retarded, your wrong, science is the only constant in this world, there is no proof for anything you believe in, rabble rabble"

"but i dont really believe..."

"rabble rabble rabble, church is wrong, everyone is an idiot except atheists rabble rabble"

90% of the time I feel like im dealing with born again christians trying to convert me rather than "scientific minds". And the thing is these are the same people who usually freak out if they see some religious guy so much as handing out flyers on the street.

Tl;dr : Atheists, we get it, you believe in nothing, you find it illogical that people do. However there is no need to shout it from the rooftops every 5 minutes, I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts).

All atheists are not the same - it's extremists in all beliefs/disbeliefs that try to ram their opinions down peoples throats. On boards, to be fair, it is usually a discussion so of course they are going to put their argument forward. It wouldn't be much of a discussion site if everyone just sat back in respect of others beliefs. I agree that some atheists can be overbearing however if I am involved in a discussion about religion I'm going to be honest about what I feel. It seems that many people are offended by the very declaration of atheism by atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭mikerowsopht

But do you believe in GOD ?
    or
    Are you an Atheist ?

If you believe in GOD, why, where is the proof

etc
    etc

lol

Yes, I find a lot of the more vocal ones are as bad as the fundamentalists of the religions they so despise..

Are they any more vocal than a priest or religious person? Why should atheists keep quiet in the debate of religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

But do you believe in GOD ?
    or
    Are you an Atheist ?
    If you believe in GOD, why, where is the proof
    etc
    etc
    lol

Didn't get the answers you were looking for in your own thread, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Ok its very seldom I start a thread on AH but there is something that really has been pissing me off as of late.

Atheists!

Now dont get me wrong, im far from a right wing religious nut. Its just that recently with all these retarded threads, and with a lot of my friends its the exact same **** over and over. Even if we would so much as mention the church here or every time i would in real life pass a a church with my friends the following would ensues:

"you believe in something, o your retarded, your wrong, science is the only constant in this world, there is no proof for anything you believe in, rabble rabble"

"but i dont really believe..."

"rabble rabble rabble, church is wrong, everyone is an idiot except atheists rabble rabble"

90% of the time I feel like im dealing with born again christians trying to convert me rather than "scientific minds". And the thing is these are the same people who usually freak out if they see some religious guy so much as handing out flyers on the street.

Tl;dr : Atheists, we get it, you believe in nothing, you find it illogical that people do. However there is no need to shout it from the rooftops every 5 minutes, I dont see any catholic people taking such an aggressive stance(except the right wing nuts).

As an atheist, this kinda sh!t really gets my back up. I have NEVER shouted my lack of belief from any roof top, but if and when my lack of belief gets brought up in conversation, I do get attacked by catholics & christians. I regular have to defend myself from people like you.

If I don't want to baptise my kids, or get married in a church then its got SFA to do with you. I'll not believe whatever the hell I don't want to believe - its none of your business.

And anyway, this was already battled out in a recent thread. No need to drag it all back up again.

Agreed. Atheism is the new religious fundamentalism. Funny that.

Nope. Not funny or true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

i dont believe in god or rabbling about same at every given opportunity

• Advertisement

I wonder how many theists who agree with the OP are talking about what they've noticed on boards or about what they've noticed in real life.

I find that I see more atheists being vocal (not necessarily negatively, mind) on various niche places on the internet and on discussion forums. But in real life, the theists seem much more obvious (again, not necessarily negatively).

Could just be me though.

I wonder how many theists who agree with the OP are talking about what they've noticed on boards or about what they've noticed in real life.

I find that I see more atheists being vocal (not necessarily negatively, mind) on various niche places on the internet and on discussion forums. But in real life, the theists seem much more obvious (again, not necessarily negatively).

Could just be me though.

Nah, you see theism most places.
    Men with dogcollars, women with wimples:
    People crossing themselves when passing a church.
    Dudes wearing large crosses
    Dudes turning up at my door and bothering me about going to church when I'm trying to feed my baby.
    People running local schools
    People mouthing off in news about religious affairs
    -Probably religious

Men and women wearing 'normal' clothes.
    -Maybe religious? Who knows.

Men wearing '**** God' tshirt
    Richard Dawkins
    -Probably not religious. Inclined to say not religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

The point of this thread wasn't particularly to rag on atheists or to say that all atheists are right wing nuts, it was just to point out that there are a large group of them just as bad as the religious types they despise so much. I posted this in relation to these people, not atheists in general.

I think people got my intentions a bit wrong here, maybe its the way I wrote the OP(it was early here in germany on my day off).

Of course every religion will have there nut jobs, its just the internet being the internet I seem to find a lot more right wing atheists are on it bible mad catholics.

Another thing i see humor in is all the atheists who take the bible word for word, I mean I understand catholics who do it as its the word of god for them. But for people who dont believe in god, shouldn't you not just take it as a book of morals and stories to be observed from no?

The point of this thread wasn't particularly to rag on atheists or to say that all atheists are right wing nuts, it was just to point out that there are a large group of them just as bad as the religious types they despise so much. I posted this in relation to these people, not atheists in general.

I think people got my intentions a bit wrong here, maybe its the way I wrote the OP(it was early here in germany on my day off).

Of course every religion will have there nut jobs, its just the internet being the internet I seem to find a lot more right wing atheists are on it bible bashing catholics.

Another thing i see humor in is all the atheists who take the bible word for word, I mean I understand catholics who do it as its the word of god for them. But for people who dont believe in god, shouldn't you not just take it as a book of morals and stories to be observed from no?

The way you wrote the op was completely onesided.

Right wing atheists? Where? I'm a left wing atheist. Most atheists I know are left wing. In the states, the right wing is practically throttled by religion. I'd like some more detail on what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

OMG have you ever read the bible. Its quite horrific. Incest, rape, murder, genocide. Hardly a good place for people to learn morals

Of course every religion will have there nut jobs, its just the internet being the internet I seem to find a lot more right wing atheists are on it bible bashing catholics.

But you just turned it into a totally divisive issue (aka theists vs atheists) when it didn't have to be one. Why do that if you know there's dicks in ALL walks of life? Why not just title your thread "I hate assholes?" Then we could all agree?

There was a thread exactly like this last week. Why it was necessary to start it up again is well beyond me. Just makes people pissed off and talk each other in circles.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

But for people who dont believe in god, shouldn't you not just take it as a book of morals and stories to be observed from no?

You mean, just totally ignore the text and make things up to suit yourself as you go along? :)

The point of this thread wasn't particularly to rag on atheists

Perhaps you shouldn't have led with this then

Atheists!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I have never attacked anyone for a lack of beliefs. I have never called to anyone's door. I have never distributed magazines or other literature. I don't wear any crosses. Never been a street preacher. Religion rarely comes up in conversation with my friends, has never been an issue between us. Have been insulted in public by an atheist once. It's not that big a bloody issue.

Why the constant requirement for me to explain myself on AH is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Of course every religion will have there nut jobs, its just the internet being the internet I seem to find a lot more right wing atheists are on it bible mad catholics.

The most important thing is that you can look down on both groups.

Advertisement