Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

How long would it take to get from Naas to Waterford city now that the entire motorway has been opened up? Have to be down there for 8:30 next Wednesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

How long would it take to get from Naas to Waterford city now that the entire motorway has been opened up? Have to be down there for 8:30 next Wednesday morning.

From M7 just over an hour. From town centre... different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Probably just a little over an hour from Naas to the outskirts of Waterford, but you'll need to leave yourself some time to take account of traffic depending on where you're going. That's the worst time of the morning for traffic anywhere in the country.

If you want to post your exact destination, doubtless someone can advise a route and how long it will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

fricatus wrote: »
    Probably just a little over an hour from Naas to the outskirts of Waterford, but you'll need to leave yourself some time to take account of traffic depending on where you're going. That's the worst time of the morning for traffic anywhere in the country.

If you want to post your exact destination, doubtless someone can advise a route and how long it will take.

Heading to the Kilcohan area. Is there any other way apart from going through the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Heading to the Kilcohan area. Is there any other way apart from going through the city?

At the end of the Motorway take the 1st exit off the Roundabout (Quarry Roundabout)signposted Waterford/Cork/Rosslare

at the next Roundabout (Grannagh Junction) take the 3rd exit signposted N25 Cork (Waterford City Bypass - TOLL)

go over the bridge and pay the toll and take the next exit (Off Ramp) keep going straight through all the roundabout's (Approx 8) until you come to one called Couse Bridge.

Take the 1st exit off this roundabout and you will be in the Kilcohan area

• Advertisement

Easy enough - just cross the new bridge (tolled), then take the Outer Ring Road (Waterford South exit). Kilcohan is signed off one of the roundabouts (just after the Tramore one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

For those of you going from Waterford City to Galway city (or north of it), amazingly it's now quicker, safer and easier to go via the M50 in Dublin than to go direct via the N24 and Limerick....both routes at the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

wellbutty wrote: »
    For those of you going from Waterford City to Galway city (or north of it), amazingly it's now quicker, safer and easier to go via the M50 in Dublin than to go direct via the N24 and Limerick....both routes at the speed limit.

Not entirely surprising, but not good either. Another ten years of interurban motorway traffic converging on the M50 means it could well be far over-capacity again. The M18 when finished will even things up for Waterford traffic trying to access the west; but an upgrade of the N24 in certain places (most pressingly, I must reiterate, between Pallasgreen and Cahir), should not be forgotten about.

Furet wrote: »
    Not entirely surprising, but not good either. Another ten years of interurban motorway traffic converging on the M50 means it could well be far over-capacity again. The M18 when finished will even things up for Waterford traffic trying to access the west; but an upgrade of the N24 in certain places (most pressingly, I must reiterate, between Pallasgreen and Cahir), should not be forgotten about.

Exactly, it's critical that some other roads crisscrossing the country are upgraded to some form of 2+2 and that all our roads don't only lead to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Exactly, it's critical that some other roads crisscrossing the country are upgraded to some form of 2+2 and that all our roads don't only lead to Dublin.

A motorway from Rosslare to Derry would be good linking all existing motorways at major towns such as Carlow,Portlaoise, Athlone,Longford etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

It is just me or have other M9 drivers found the M9/M7 junction difficult in darkness?

Driving down to Waterford from Dublin last night the M9/M7 junction (J1/J11) was noticeably unlit and hard to navigate in the dark. This is not the first time I have found it tricky and I feel that it is high time for this junction to be fully lit like nearly all the M9 junctions. There used to be a light on the sign at the actual junction but this is now gone.

The long winter nights are now coming upon us and there will be an increased use in the M9 now that the whole route is open. In the interests of road safety full lighting at this junction is badly needed. I'm not sure if this is the business of Kildare Co. Council or the NRA but it needs to be lobbied for. Especially, when many of the lit junctions on either the M9 or M7 haven't anything like the same use.

I noticed that the M9/M7 junction is quite well sign posted but it doesn't alter the fact that M9 could easily be missed in poor visibility and darkness. Imagine what happens when you barely see it in time and have to make a dangerous left turn across of speeding traffic. It happened me once and I hadn’t the guts to make the sudden left turn-in and …..

If you miss that junction its quite a job to get back to the M9 and involves going on to J12 (Curragh) and then going down to Kilcullen to rejoin the M9 at J2 on poor roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Silverado wrote: »
    It is just me or have other M9 drivers found the M9/M7 junction difficult in darkness?

Driving down to Waterford from Dublin last night the M9/M7 junction (J1/J11) was noticeably unlit and hard to navigate in the dark. This is not the first time I have found it tricky and I feel that it is high time for this junction to be fully lit like nearly all the M9 junctions. There used to be a light on the sign at the actual junction but this is now gone.

The long winter nights are now coming upon us and there will be an increased use in the M9 now that the whole route is open. In the interests of road safety full lighting at this junction is badly needed. I'm not sure if this is the business of Kildare Co. Council or the NRA but it needs to be lobbied for. Especially, when many of the lit junctions on either the M9 or M7 haven't anything like the same use.

I noticed that the M9/M7 junction is quite well sign posted but it doesn't alter the fact that M9 could easily be missed in poor visibility and darkness. Imagine what happens when you barely see it in time and have to make a dangerous left turn across of speeding traffic. It happened me once and I hadn’t the guts to make the sudden left turn-in and …..

If you miss that junction its quite a job to get back to the M9 and involves going on to J12 (Curragh) and then going down to Kilcullen to rejoin the M9 at J2 on poor roads.

Lighting would indeed be a good idea and can help improve safety however, tbh, I'm quite surprised you nearly missed the junction if you were paying adequate attention. The gantry signage clearly states how far the junction is away (at 1km and 600m if I remember correctly) and did you not notice the reflective 300m, 200m and 100m markers along the hard shoulder; they're fitted approaching all motorway junctions.

I've highlighted one sentence in bold because I believe there little or no reasons why anyone should 'have' to swerve across traffic to make an exit. If you can't exit in a safe manouvre then you're already too late and you must not attempt a dangerous one. The next exit may be inconvenient but a lot less inconvenient than being cut out from a barrier. Unfortunately I've often had to avoid such idiots who either ignore the signage or leave it the very last.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a 2KM sign, either a gantry or standard advanced junction warning, also.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

That's very interesting, what would the travel time be going to Galway via m50 compared to n24 ?

hi5 wrote: »
    A motorway from Rosslare to Derry would be good linking all existing motorways at major towns such as Carlow,Portlaoise, Athlone,Longford etc.

If you were going to build such a route, it would make a lot more sense to run it via Waterford, Limerick, Galway and Sligo. Larger centres of population and parts are already built to motorway or DC standard, or else in planning (e.g. N25 Waterford bypass, N7 Limerick bypass/tunnel, M18 and M17).

hi5 wrote: »

If you were going to build such a route, it would make a lot more sense to run it via Waterford, Limerick, Galway and Sligo. Larger centres of population and parts are already built to motorway or DC standard, or else in planning (e.g. N25 Waterford bypass, N7 Limerick bypass/tunnel, M18 and M17).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Exactly. Especially Waterford to Cork N25. That road is not very appealing since the newer motorways around the country have opened. Theres plenty of sections of it just waiting to be upgraded to 2+2. A steel divide, resurface and a few road markings! Sorted! Seriously though, it wouldnt require mega money to at lease make the N25 safe ie. Coming into Youghal bypass, Castledermot, et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

Exactly. Especially Waterford to Cork N25. That road is not very appealing since the newer motorways around the country have opened. Theres plenty of sections of it just waiting to be upgraded to 2+2. A steel divide, resurface and a few road markings! Sorted! Seriously though, it wouldnt require mega money to at lease make the N25 safe ie. Coming into Youghal bypass, Castledermot, et al.

err. Castledermot is in Co. Kildare and has been bypassed by the M9

Castlemartyr perhaps?

Seriously though, I would give the N24 higher priority than the N25 in terms of upgrading as the N24 is way inferior with very few safe overtaking spots vis a vis the N25

That's very interesting, what would the travel time be going to Galway via m50 compared to n24 ?

The beauty of this route is that youve only got one unknown and thats the M50. But if the traffic was bad and you knew what you were doing Id say you could cut across earlier somewhere around J7 on the M9 to J3 on the M4. Ive done it twice by the M50 in 3 hours 20 minutes, roughly:

1) Waterford to the end of the M7 near Naas......70 minutes
    2) Naas to the Red Cow, around the M50 and out to Leixlip.....40 minutes
    3) Leixlip to Galway........90 minutes

By the N24, which is 130km shorter, youre looking at anywhere from 3 hours 40 to 4 hours 40, depending on tractors and all the towns along the way. The N24 must get priority over the N25

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

The beauty of this route is that youve only got one unknown and thats the M50. But if the traffic was bad and you knew what you were doing Id say you could cut across earlier somewhere around J7 on the M9 to J3 on the M4. Ive done it twice by the M50 in 3 hours 20 minutes, roughly:

1) Waterford to the end of the M7 near Naas......70 minutes
    2) Naas to the Red Cow, around the M50 and out to Leixlip.....40 minutes
    3) Leixlip to Galway........90 minutes

By the N24, which is 130km shorter, youre looking at anywhere from 3 hours 40 to 4 hours 40, depending on tractors and all the towns along the way. The N24 must get priority over the N25

I'm wondering if you'd even both going to the M50. If you left the M4 at Maynooth (Junction 7) and then went as far as Straffan on the R406 you could take the L2007 to join the N7 at Kill (Junction 7).

Now I don't the quality of the L2007 but the R406 is a fair enough road. Google maps suggests that this would take around 20 minutes whereas going the whole way to the M50 and back out at around 30 minutes. Not much of a saving I'll grant but a lot would depend on the time you were planning to do the route. If it was in and around rush hour at the M50 then you'd have long delays at Newlands X.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

L2007 is twisty enough but is two full lanes, decent surface, lined and studded all the way - thank you, Ryder Cup! There are a number of overtaking points once you're used to the road and low traffic except at rush hour.

Anyone remember this post from back around the start of the year? I was absolutely gobsmacked reading that someone was doing this commute!
    kieranb07 wrote:
    I currently commute from sallins to west side of waterford city,
    I exit at Junction 10 Naas south,
    I do 3 different shifts 8, 10 AND 11:30

8 -> 1.5hrs [I leave at 6am in work for 7:30 (if i leave at 6:15 im not in till 8:30ish)]

10-> 2hrs I leave at 8

11:30 1.5hrs I leave at 10

once the kilkullen - carlow bit is open it will reduce it by 15min
    once the knocktopher section is open it will be another 10min (15-25min between 7:30 and 9 with all the trucks and tractors)

kieranb07, how are you finding things these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kieranb07

Anyone remember this post from back around the start of the year? I was absolutely gobsmacked reading that someone was doing this commute!

kieranb07, how are you finding things these days?

Not to bad to tell you the thruth... its down to about 1 - 1.10 now and 1.20-30 at peak time, and im nearly garunteed to get home alive everyday....
    All in all from before the kilkullen -carlow section opening to after full completion, I am saving about 2 hours a day which means it have given me back 20 days a year of my life!!!
    Not to mention the fact im a gazillion times safer on the Mway, than on the previous peice of *Keeping it civalised* road, and also amount of money im saving on diesel and tyres... biggrin.gif

Also, just had to drive from J14 on the M1 (Ardee) to waterford monday morning.....
    It took about 2hrs and 5min so that means about 2hrs and 20 from waterford to the border.... never though id see the day
    smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Hi,
    how to get to M9 from New Ross?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeal

Howdy all,

I have to travel from Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow to Cork this Friday.

Bearing in mind that it's the Bank Holiday, and the Jazz festival in Cork, what would be the best route?

I used to always do such treks by going across the Wicklow gap, on to Kilcullen and joining the M7 to head straight to Cork.

With the new M9, am I better of going...
    1. Across the gap, joining the M9 at Kilcullen and going Waterford -> Cork or maybe
    2. Across country to Carlow, joining the M9 and going Waterford -> Cork
    3. Sticking to the M7 as I used to
    ???

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

4motion wrote: »
    Hi,
    how to get to M9 from New Ross?
    Thanks

Take the R704 west.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭NedNew2

Take the R704 west.

... to get from the M9 to New Ross.

Correct, its exit 11, signposted for New Ross and Mullinivat. It takes about 15 minutes and can be narrow but its quite scenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

NedNew2 wrote: »
    ... to get from the M9 to New Ross.

Correct, its exit 11, signposted for New Ross and Mullinivat. It takes about 15 minutes and can be narrow but its quite scenic.

Can you tell me all M9 from Waterford to Dublin (M7) is finished?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's all open now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Star Spangler

ForestFire wrote: »
    Should I also report everytime I see someone Jay walking in Dublin:confused:. Its against the law and can be quite dangerous too. I noticed a few times at busy pedestian crossings people go before green man, when there is a break in traffic, and others just follow not knowing its red and more cars are coming.

If something happens often enough I should not have to report it, the cops should be fully aware of it

Actually there are no jay-walking laws in Ireland.

Advertisement