Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Tolls on the M50 coming soon

Options
  • 06-10-2010 1:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I see the Irish Independent has on todays front page, news of more tolls to be imposed on the M50 and on Wicklow and Kildare roads! Just waiting for it to go up on the its webpage!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

jock101 wrote: »
    I see the Irish Independent has on todays front page, news of more tolls to be imposed on the M50 and on Wicklow and Kildare roads! Just waiting for it to go up on the its webpage!

FFS i'm glad i'm getting the flock out of here in five weeks, sh!t sick of paying for others f**k ups!!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

FFS i'm glad i'm getting the flock out of here in five weeks, sh!t sick of paying for others f**k ups!!

Second that, a few months for me!:):):)

Second that, a few months for me!:):):)

Where are you heading?

Where are you heading?

Madchester! and you!

Australia, good luck with your move.

• Advertisement

Australia, good luck with your move.

Ive heard the Green Party is making great progress in the voting public down under! So I bet it wont be to long until they have anti car policies down there too!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

• Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Tolls on the n11 will cause chaos with loads of people taking the tiny backroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Tolls on the n11 will cause chaos with loads of people taking the tiny backroads.

not just the N11, but a lot of them.

What's the point of tolling the M50, its supposed to take traffic out of the city and the general Dublin road network. Tolling all of it will just create traffic problems elsewhere again.

Another ridiculous budget suggestion for raping the populace to support the bailout and public service pay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Tolling the N11... are you ****ing kidding me... it's a ****ing joke... it's a useless road that isn't even complete... oh come on this is getting ridiculous... This place is an utter joke!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

not just the N11, but a lot of them.

What's the point of tolling the M50, its supposed to take traffic out of the city and the general Dublin road network. Tolling all of it will just create traffic problems elsewhere again.

Another ridiculous budget suggestion for raping the populace to support the bailout and public service pay
    The toll isn't being increased
    Its being spread more evenly.

It'll still be 3 euros if you go end to end according to reports.
    But now its proposed to have 4 sections @75 cents a go.

From having the highest single toll on the roads network (ignoring the port Tunnel) the M50 will now have the smallest toll!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People won't see it that way. They will see it as 4 tolls. We spend millions building, then upgrading the M50 so that as soon as it's finally finished they decide to force drivers onto the very roads it was supposed to take traffic off. I can imagine the fun they'll have with 4 tolls on the road when they can't even get 1 right

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the point is if its all tolled less people will use it though as the local roads are just as handy if a lot of cases, I know for me around M11 - Cherrywood - Sandyford I can just use local roads and avoid the toll

they also won't have a toll with an odd 5c at the end, it'll be 80c or €1 per section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I just wish these tolls were all barrier free on other roads too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because of the cost to implement vs. actual toll revenue on some of the schemes mentioned, methinks this is the first thing FG/Labour would throw out after they're elected in, oh, probably March at this stage. Quick way to get a quick popularity boost and probably hide another, more revenue generating, change at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mc Love wrote: »
    From that article, some AA spokesman says
    "Putting the tax on fuel gives you far more money without byzantine payment systems."
    Which means that if you don't use the M50, you'll get taxed anyway for using it.
    Yeah... about that... I can see that being rounded it up to a euro.

=-=

Personally, I don't mind the tolls too much, but I rarely use them. But I'd avoid them if lots of them popped up. So I'd say lots of others will just not use the roads with the tolls on them, and congest the small little towns that the tolled roads bypassed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the_syco wrote: »
    From that article, some AA spokesman says

Which means that if you don't use the M50, you'll get taxed anyway for using it.

Thats the way taxation works. I've never used the public hospital system or free college fees but I get taxed for them. Greater good and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The M50 extended tolling was always coming once the road was widened and the new gantrys were fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Given how ridiculously incompetent E-Flow are at dealing with the current level of toll passages, its only gonna get a looooooooooot worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

they also won't have a toll with an odd 5c at the end, it'll be 80c or €1 per section

Why would 5c be a issue with barrier-less tolling?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Firstly this is only a budget proposal so if you feel strongly against it then contact your local TDs as I would imagine that currently they are worried for their seats and may actually do something about it.
    However, despite it currently being a proposal, the country badly needs money and it is likely to happen!
    Ireland - taxing its way out of a recession!

TDs Emails: http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=12684&&CatID=138
    FWIW Senators Emails: http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/members_emails/23_Seanad_20091022.doc

The M50 extended tolling was always coming once the road was widened and the new gantrys were fitted.

Simple answer is to vote with your wheels, and dont use it anymore! With all the other tolls outside Dublin, and now on pothole ridden N roads I wont be touring around Ireland anymore! One step forward, three steps back! Only in this Paddyland!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Unless they scrap motor tax, they can go f**k themselves.

kbannon wrote: »
    Firstly this is only a budget proposal so if you feel strongly against it then contact your local TDs as I would imagine that currently they are worried for their seats and may actually do something about it.
    However, despite it currently being a proposal, the country badly needs money and it is likely to happen!
    Ireland - taxing its way out of a recession!

Oh come on, you know in this hole a proposal means its a dead cert! They have been planning this for the last year or so, as another poster said just look at all the new gantry's just before every junction on the M50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

How much are these extra tolls expected to generate? And then how much does a litre of fuel need to increase by to raise the same amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

in all fairness its the price we pay for having a crappy governmenet.

I dont mind paying tolls as the only ones i use are on motorways, and seeing as you use less fuel on a motorway they have to recoup the money lost on tax somehow.

If the re-zoning of M50 tolls go ahead, a lot of the current toll payers may actually end up paying less, unless of course they are going the whole length of the M50. I know that I will pay less (well hope so), travelling from Firhouse to Ballymun exit each day (work at airport and refuse to go up M1)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Putting a toll on the southern end of the M50 would be crazy (pretty much from the Dundrum exit south) -- it runs almost parallel to the N11 by then, so all that'd happen is that anybody going on short runs would switch to the N11, causing that road to block up.

How much are these extra tolls expected to generate? And then how much does a litre of fuel need to increase by to raise the same amount?

The way things are going it will soon be €1.50 a litre for fuel and between 2-€3 to drive 20km's! Time to buy a cheap 10 year old 1 litre car!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Jack Lynch Tunnel and South Link road in Cork have also been suggested - but didn't we discuss this on boards before and say that roads payed for by the EU can't be tolled or something to that effect? There are people on boards who know a lot more about this than me - so I'm sure they'll be in later with definitive answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

The way things are going it will soon be €1.50 a litre for fuel and between 2-€3 to drive 20km's! Time to buy a cheap 10 year old 1 litre car!

More like time to get the **** out of this hole.. it's getting worse and isn't getting any better... tolling the N11 really is the bottom of the barrel, it's useless, hit the ****ing beehive and your ****ed!!!

Advertisement