Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More Tolls on the M50 coming soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

The Jack Lynch Tunnel and South Link road in Cork have also been suggested - but didn't we discuss this on boards before and say that roads payed for by the EU can't be tolled or something to that effect? There are people on boards who know a lot more about this than me - so I'm sure they'll be in later with definitive answers.

What like the double car tax AKA VRT! Which is ment to be illegal under EU law!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Except Ireland of course as we are special!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

jock101 wrote: »
    The way things are going it will soon be €1.50 a litre for fuel and between 2-€3 to drive 20km's! Time to buy a cheap 10 year old 1 litre car!

im driving a 1.1 Fiat cinq '97 runs like a dream, firhouse to airport and back then to tallaght it 3 nights a week and a run out on saturdays, all in all costs about €25 a week

innovated wrote: »
    im driving a 1.1 Fiat cinq '97 runs like a dream, firhouse to airport and back then to tallaght it 3 nights a week and a run out on saturdays, all in all costs about €25 a week

And were told to use public transport! It costs about 25 quid for a weekly bus ticket!:rolleyes: lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Proposal's my ass... there's already roadworks between sandyford-carrickmines, carrickmines-loughlinstown and loughlinstown-Bray north.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

steve06 wrote: »
    Proposal's my ass... there's already roadworks between sandyford-carrickmines, carrickmines-loughlinstown and loughlinstown-Bray north.

roadside displays apparently like the M1 has, but then again....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would be a lot more concerned about privacy issues than paying the extra few bob on tolls

No doubt all these new tolls that will be rolled out across the country will be electronically enforced using ANPR and RFID technology and will track all your movements.

I would be a lot more concerned about privacy issues than paying the extra few bob on tolls

No doubt all these new tolls that will be rolled out across the country will be electronically enforced using ANPR and RFID technology and will track all your movements.

you should get yourself some Bond-esque revolving reg plates

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

If the re-zoning of M50 tolls go ahead, a lot of the current toll payers may actually end up paying less, unless of course they are going the whole length of the M50. I know that I will pay less (well hope so), travelling from Firhouse to Ballymun exit each day (work at airport and refuse to go up M1)

Bingo, I commute between Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley most days on the M50, and at this stage the tolls are almost the same as the fuel charges, even with a tag. I'd be delighted with zoned payments.

Obviously the toll was originally introduced for the Westlink bridge (you notionally just paid for crossing the bridge rather than the roads each side), but seeing as it's all government owned and maintained now the charges should be spread.

Bingo, I commute between Blanchardstown and Liffey Valley most days on the M50, and at this stage the tolls are almost the same as the fuel charges, even with a tag. I'd be delighted with zoned payments.

Obviously the toll was originally introduced for the Westlink bridge (you notionally just paid for crossing the bridge rather than the roads each side), but seeing as it's all government owned and maintained now the charges should be spread.

Well you can have the M50 all to yourself, but you will have to pay higher toll rates to pay for me not using it! lol:P

If the re-zoning of M50 tolls go ahead, a lot of the current toll payers may actually end up paying less, unless of course they are going the whole length of the M50.

I doubt it. I've heard the new system is a toll to use the road, if you travel the full length or just 1 exit it wont matter, it'll be 1 toll. Then you have the proposed N11 and N7 tolls which will probably be separate because you cross a county border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

And were told to use public transport! It costs about 25 quid for a weekly bus ticket!:rolleyes: lol

apart from the fact that to be in the office at 8, on public transport i would have to leave at like 6am

Why would 5c be a issue with barrier-less tolling?

none with barrier free I suppose but I still think it won't simply be divided by 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I doubt it. I've heard the new system is a toll to use the road, if you travel the full length or just 1 exit it wont matter, it'll be 1 toll. Then you have the proposed N11 and N7 tolls which will probably be separate because you cross a county border.

its not one toll, its zonal

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,141 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

would like to know more about this before I get up in arms about it. Basically, the price and location of tolls on the M50, N7 and N11 (the three roads I would use regularly).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

apart from the fact that to be in the office at 8, on public transport i would have to leave at like 6am

...and potentially get drenched at one of the many bus stops that don't have any shelter, while the car you pay motor tax and insurance on sits in the driveway.

Public transport is not a viable alternative for most, unless it's a short journey involving one route and on a route that has frequent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,141 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PauloMN wrote: »
    ...and potentially get drenched at one of the many bus stops that don't have any shelter, while the car you pay motor tax and insurance on sits in the driveway.

Public transport is not a viable alternative for most, unless it's a short journey involving one route and on a route that has frequent service.

For me it is a 35minute drive to work in the morning.

For public transport it would be a 20minute to the trainstation, 30 minute dart journey, 20 minute wait for the bus, hour long bus trip, 5 minute walk to the office.

Longer on the return trip due to heavier traffic at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

arguing this on politics also at the moment. this is a great idea. divide the toll up into 75c sections, and charge for section usage, this will encourage more users around the peak central area, and make for a much fairer system.

It has nothing to do with forcing people to use public transport, Its all about bringing in more revenue from a shrinking tax base. To pay for ministers 200k to spec S Class Merc's!:rolleyes:

maximoose wrote: »
    its not one toll, its zonal
    What a joke.

damned if they do, and damned if they don't, eh Steve?! A zonal system is a much better idea than the current all or nothing charge. Unless ur a southsider of course ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think it is a good idea from the perspective that I don't find it particularly fair that I have to pay the M50 toll crossing the Liffey whilst many others are using the northern and southern sections freely.

From an implementation cost perspective, it would not add very much to apply as all the underlying infrastructure is already in place - e.g. call center, IT systems etc. It would not be that costly to simply add more gantries.

Of course the fairest method would be to simply tax fuel in place of this and motor tax.

zuroph wrote: »
    damned if they do, and damned if they don't, eh Steve?! A zonal system is a much better idea than the current all or nothing charge. Unless ur a southsider of course ;)

Eh no, not having a tolls on an city orbital motorway ment to take heavy traffic volumes out of built up urban areas is a much better idea!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The toll isn't being increased
    Its being spread more evenly.

It'll still be 3 euros if you go end to end according to reports.
    But now its proposed to have 4 sections @75 cents a go.

From having the highest single toll on the roads network (ignoring the port Tunnel) the M50 will now have the smallest toll!!!

does the road to Galway not have a higher cost?

The toll isn't being increased
    Its being spread more evenly.

It'll still be 3 euros if you go end to end according to reports.
    But now its proposed to have 4 sections @75 cents a go.

From having the highest single toll on the roads network (ignoring the port Tunnel) the M50 will now have the smallest toll!!!

3€ today, 4€ next year and so on!

Why not go the whole way and introduce Road Pricing! Pay 75c per km!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Folks,

Take a careful look at the N4 and you will see that they are installing the gantries at every entry/exit all the way out to beyond Mullingar as we speak. The feckers are doing this by stealth. (The foundations are being concreted in!):mad:

Why not go the whole way and introduce Road Pricing! Pay 75c per km!

Well it would be a fairer system than a fuel charge, as a fuel charge would penalise people stuck in heavy traffic, and going nowhere.... :P

REXER wrote: »
    Folks,

Take a careful look at the N4 and you will see that they are installing the gantries at every entry/exit all the way out to beyond Mullingar as we speak. The feckers are doing this by stealth. (The foundations are being concreted in!):mad:

Oh well, its back to the back roads again! Watch the road deaths rate sore again! lol:eek:

Road safety my foot!

those gantries are for road signs. they allow the signs to be altered without causing obstruction to the road below.

zuroph wrote: »
    those gantries are for road signs. they allow the signs to be altered without causing obstruction to the road below.

What like the one's on the M1 that have camera's and have ANPR with the ability to measure speed and distance covered. But is not used yet due to NRA, CoCo and Dept. of Transport incompetence and bickering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 roboto

this is a joke, there is an insufficent infrastructure in this country and the small amount of motorways available is tolled like there is no tommorow... .another example for "we charge you for no proper service" (just like the non-existent health service)

Advertisement