Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

krudler wrote: »
    Rory Culkin was great in it too, always liked him, especially in Signs. him and Kieran got the acting chops in the Culkin family apparently, although Macaulay was good in Saved.

Saved, now theres something I havent watched in ages...do I even own that?

edit: balls I dont ,grrr hate that when you've got it in your head you want to watch something and cant..
    Rory and Kieran definitely got the talent in that film - Kieran was very good in 'Igby Goes Down' actually.

And didn't really liked 'Saved' much to be honest.. but you wanna see a bad Macauley Culkin performance? Watch 'The Good Son' - christ!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sweet Jesus! that fat kid in Mean Creek, what a difference a few years makes:

Then:
    josh+peck+fat.jpg

Now:

Josh%20Peck.jpg

Yep, Josh Peck changed alright. But he's still putting in fantastic performances - give The Wackness a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched The Virgin Suicides earlier on DVD. Not quite as good as I remembered from TV some years ago, which I think has something to do with Kirsten Dunst. ;)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Religilous: Not really sure what to make of this. Bill Maher doesn't come across as particularly likeable or funny. And probably some of the funniest bits of the movie are quotatiosn that appear on the bottom of the screen completely undermining some of the comment being made by those he is interviewing. It starts out ok and some of the opinions in it will make you laugh more out of disbelief than being funny, but then kinda loses it's way.

The best way of summing it up is kinda like a one sided fight, its great to watch at first but as it continues and you realise the losing side can't defend themself you just don't want to watch any more.

After this I went on somewhat of a DC animated spree.

Watched Batman: Under The Red Hood, Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

Each of these are enjoyable but I think Under the Red Hood really stands out and I would recommend it to anyone with even the slightest interest in the Batman character. The other two are ok, with Crisis on two Earths probably slightly better than Superman/Batman. One thing that I really like is the variation in the art styles of the three. None of them are even close in style, with Superman/Batman doing a really good job of transferring Ed McGuiness' art style over (will be interesting to see if the next movie in the series mimics Michael Turner's art style**).

As more of a Marvel fan watching these made me long for some Marvel dvd movies adapting some well known stories and trying to animate the in the style of the books artists.

**Just checked the trailer and Youtube and it does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Watched Conspiracy last night. Chilling performances by Branagh and Tucci. Subject aside, I've never seen such an efficient meeting. Scary in it's matter-of-factness.
    Very surprised that everyone walked out of the room at the end. I was expecting someone to get executed at any moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The best way of summing it up is kinda like a one sided fight, its great to watch at first but as it continues and you realise the losing side can't defend themself you just don't want to watch any more.

Religulous has to be looked at as a comedy opposed to a documentary, I think (it is directed by Larry Charles after all!). The arguments are too one-sided, the editing too clearly manipulated and Bill Maher too obnoxious to make any of the points stand. It's funny on occasion, alright, but Maher isn't Dawkins, that's for sure.

Watched the City of Life and Death last night. Pretty shocking film about the Nanking Massacre. Some moments of truly shocking brutality
    (corpses lining a beach, women's naked bodies being piled into a cart to be disposed of)
    . Also goes to some lengths that some will go to to retain their humanity in the situation. Strongly critical of the Japanese army, obviously, but also featuring one or two Japanese soldiers opposed to the atrocities, which apparently created some controversy in China. If it had one flaw, it was that it went out of the way to vilify one particular Japanese general to have a central 'bad guy'. Overall though a very powerful, very angry film.

Saw Rec 2 the other night. Seemed OK if nowhere near as tense as the first, and a lot more over the top. Kept drifting off during the last 20 minutes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Still not sure what was up with that whole kid story arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Four Lions - Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

basquille wrote: »
    Yep, Josh Peck changed alright. But he's still putting in fantastic performances - give The Wackness a watch!

Woah, is that him. I've seen both those movies and would have never put two and two together...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

'Taken'.

Still awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just watched the most recent rambo and i was blown away by how good it was , i thought it would have been muck because stalone's really old , but fair play to him .really great scenes in this movie.wasnt expecting it to be good so 5 stars from me

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

At the moment

im ReWatching Band of Brothers

as for movies i saw get him to the greek which is suprisingly good since i cant stand russel brand aaaaaand Mr Nobody with jared leto

what an excellent mind **** of a movie

i highly suggest if you like jared and movies that actually make you think go get this out if you can or download it or however you get your movies

A V A wrote: »
    just watched the most recent rambo and i was blown away by how good it was , i thought it would have been muck because stalone's really old , but fair play to him .really great scenes in this movie.wasnt expecting it to be good so 5 stars from me

Isnt the final action scene the most brutal, insansely violent thing ever?it was great alright. with that and Rocky Balboa Stallone really had 2 great swansongs for his most famous characters.

Isnt the final action scene the most brutal, insansely violent thing ever?it was great alright. with that and Rocky Balboa Stallone really had 2 great swansongs for his most famous characters.

ye i couldnt get over how cool it was with all the violent scenes :)

A V A wrote: »
    ye i couldnt get over how cool it was with all the violent scenes :)

I didnt really mean the violence was cool lol, it was in a macho way but its nice to see what actually happens a body when a high caliber bullet hits it, the 50cal scene is crazy, chunks of guys getting torn off. I couldnt believe some of the other stuff in the movie, kids being bayonetted to death, and a baby being thrown into a burning hut, not your average Hollywood violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Oldboy - Immense.

watched American Splendor earlier today, was in the mood for a quiet "nothing much happens" movie. Paul Giamatti is great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I liked this film big time.True story about climbing the eiger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM3e4i2KBD0

In 1937, as the Nazis talked war, two young Aryan climbers attempted the unconquered North Face of the Eiger, a near-vertical deathtrap. The Hitler-bent press were chasing glorification, but fate intervened, and what begins as a feel-the-scale climbing epic evolves into a disaster movie, shot with frostbitten verisimilitude by former ad-director Stölzl. While his film’s strengths are principally visceral, Stölzl, like many of the Oliver Hirschbiegel-led generation of new German directors, is also keen to emphasise the cruel ironies of his country’s dark history — that, beneath a philosophy prizing human endeavour over human life, the climbers’ choices were a victory for compassion.

I didnt really mean the violence was cool lol, it was in a macho way but its nice to see what actually happens a body when a high caliber bullet hits it, the 50cal scene is crazy, chunks of guys getting torn off. I couldnt believe some of the other stuff in the movie, kids being bayonetted to death, and a baby being thrown into a burning hut, not your average Hollywood violence.

well it made me open my eyes to the cruel c*nts in this world and what went on in the past years
    it wasnt very nice to watch at some part , i kind of looked away cause one scene got to me a bit hahah dont how any notion why either feck sake

still iked the movie :)

• Advertisement

Constantine- havent watched it in ages, its better than I remember it being, some really cool scenes and Tilda Swinton is brilliant as Gabriel in it, Peter Stormare's cameo as Lucifer is a genius bit of casting as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

He spends the first 50% of the movie saying that he can't go, then he goes and kills everyone. The "bad guy" gets just what he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I've been watching loads of films of recently.

Alien - Class film. 10/10

Aliens - Brilliant follow up, lots of action etc. 10/10

Alien 3 - Not as awesome as the first two, but still worth watching. 6.8/10

Alien Resurrection
    - Way way better than Alien 3. 8.8/10

Jaws 2 - Very good sequel, and I personally enjoyed it. 8/10

An Amercian Haunting -
    I never seen this movie before, but I thought it was brilliant. 8.5/10

Batman -
    Class film. Jack Nicholson does a fantastic and twisted Joker. 10/10

Batman Returns
    - Awesome sequel. 10/10

Breakdown -
    I'm a real sucker for revenge movies, and this was no exception. 10/10

Payback -
    Pretty much same as above. 9/10

Escape From Alcatraz -
    I also love Jail Break movies, and this is almost as great as Shawshank, Papillion etc.

Police Academy Movies -
    I watched one to four, and had a great laugh. 8.5/10

The Naked Gun -
    Same as above. Leslie Nielson and George Kennedy are sheer class. 9.8/10

Austin Powers Movies -
    I enjoyed all three. 8/10

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein -
    Excellent adaption. Although there are some parts that are not in the book. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭budgemook

You're easy enough to please anyways

budgemook wrote: »
    You're easy enough to please anyways

I'm not easy to please at all, especially when it comes to movies and music. I can be very very selective at times. I just enjoyed these movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hybridmouse

I've been on an old movie buzz recently so I've been mostly watching:

All about Eve - Love Bette Davis, GREAT movie!

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte - Another Bette Davis, also quite good, 7/10 I'd say as it takes a while to really get going

Black Narcissus - Great craic, so melodramatic, mental nun in the Himalayas, what else do you want?!!

Peeping Tom - Watched this after watching above (same director) and was really disappointed, I know it was shocking at the time but it's really oddly paced and stilted

Rope - Have seen this about 15 times and it never gets old

Gaslight - The 1940 one they showed on Film 4 the other day, not the one with Angela Lansbury. It's deadly, really engaging.

The Fly - The version with Vincent Price, great craic altogether!

Alien 3 - Not as awesome as the first two, but still worth watching. 6.8/10

Alien Resurrection
    - Way way better than Alien 3. 8.8/10
    Whoa whoa whoa.. 'Alien Resurrection' better than 'Alien 3'? :eek:

basquille wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa.. 'Alien Resurrection' better than 'Alien 3'? :eek:

I thought it was quite a dissapointment in comparison to the previous two films. It did have some very very good scenes though, and unlike Terminator 3 which was woeful, it is well and truly worth watching, but falls flat in parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Living Daylights (1987) James Bond redux with Timothy Dalton in the first of two 007 outings. Too long and with one conclusion too many but after the excesses of the later Roger Moore flicks a refreshingly low key entry. That said a few jarringly 80s moments like Ms Moneypennys hair/glasses and the shocking Ghetto-Blaster joke. Maryam d'Abo is yet another leading Bond girl who's career never took off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mike65 wrote: »
    The Living Daylights (1987) James Bond redux with Timothy Dalton in the first of two 007 outings. Too long and with one conclusion too many but after the excesses of the later Roger Moore flicks a refreshingly low key entry. That said a few jarringly 80s moments like Ms Moneypennys hair/glasses and the shocking Ghetto-Blaster joke. Maryam d'Abo is yet another leading Bond girl who's career never took off.

I once read somewhere that Timothy Dalton was pretty close to what Ian Flemming imagined/intended James Bond to be?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement