Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Predators - Eh twas ok I suppose. You could see the idea was a real throwback to the silly action movies of the 80's.

Prince of Persia - rubbish. Not nearly enough shots of Gemma Artertons' cleavage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Grizzly Man. A documentary by Herzog. Not sure what to make of it really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Voltwad wrote: »
    Grizzly Man. A documentary by Herzog. Not sure what to make of it really.
    Should have called it ''Idiot Man''.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Adventureland: Good fun film. Nothing special but it's quite charming. Nice set of actors (although Kristen Stewart seems very emotionless), nice visuals and a kick-ass soundtrack.

Defiance: I liked this. Again nothing brilliant but it's a decent effort about a relatively unknown storyline. I like films that bring out these stories and make you think about humans, life and war in a wider context. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Should have called it ''Idiot Man''.
    He should've lived with the foxes instead :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Four Lions - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Funny, bizarre and even sombre in places. Gem of a movie.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

30 Days of Night : Dark Days
    I quite enjoyed the first film, but this felt extremely straight-to-DVD. Speaks volumes when the main actress doesn't come back for the sequel...'scheduling conflicts' me arse. The plot is pretty standard, the logic is pretty poor
    (vampires are killed in 15 seconds by this very bright light, ever consider using it as a weapon instead on going into the darkness with just 2 guns each??)
    Effects and dialogue are pretty 2nd rate. Forgettable characters and scenes. Oh, and if you're
    harvesting blood, do it 'Ice Truck Killer' style
    ..... Cheap scares like
    a friend saying hello by silently grabbing your shoulder, seeing if someone's alive by slowly gently touching their face;
    You really got the feeling that they shot the exterior scenes in 2 days, and the rest is on some studio backlot. A cheap studio backlot....BTW, you're in civilisation now, but it's cool that you and your "Left 4 Dead" buddies run around in blood-soaked clothes and guns, yeah? Get out!

AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last night I watched Legally Blonde II: Red, White & Blonde on TV. The role Reese Witherspoon was born to play, and she does a bang-up job. A nice bit of fluff for a Monday evening ... and the movie wasn't too bad, either! :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Pontypool: The best horror film i have seen in a long time, kept me glued to the screen from start to finish. Set in a radio room broadcasting out of the basement of a church, the tension slowly builds throughout the movie as the radio station gets reports of strange things transpiring from within the quiet town of Pontypool.

You must watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

watched 'Bombón El Perro' last night

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420548/

thouroughly enjoted it.

set in Pategonia bout a man who loses his (menial) job after 20 years.At a loss to what the future holds,he begins to lose both faith and his place in society.
    Gets a dog,finds out its the son of a champion and thus begins his self discovery, and his sense of place in the world.
    the lead actors are amateurs,the film was shot as the narrative is told{rather unusual technique} and the cinematography is fantastic.

also watched Deathrace

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452608/

GARBAGE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

watched 'The Dark Hour (2006)' (Subtitled)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0484273/

great movie, surprising ending

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

watched mission impossible 3 and was great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

watched "blood done sign my name"
    very good movie if you like issues about the Black civil rights movement in the U.S, Well, a very good movie even if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A V A wrote: »
    watched mission impossible 3 and was great :)

One of the most underrated action movies of the past few years, decent story, great villain, fantastic action sequeces, the bridge scene is brilliant, and the chase through Shanghai is class

krudler wrote: »
    One of the most underrated action movies of the past few years, decent story, great villain, fantastic action sequeces, the bridge scene is brilliant, and the chase through Shanghai is class
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Frankenstein (1931). It is on a disc with Bride of Frankenstein and others, haven't seen those yet.

I also have Be Kind Rewind for tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Ruu wrote: »
    Frankenstein (1931). It is on a disc with Bride of Frankenstein and others, haven't seen those yet.

I also have Be Kind Rewind for tonight. :)

Saw Frankenstein myself recently. Haven't seen Bride of Frankenstein yet since I was very young. Its the true masterpiece. Even better than Frankenstein. Amazingly parts of Frankenstein were banned in the USA for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

just finished watching "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)" extended edition on bluray, didnt realise there was 12 minutes missing from the original, it really opened up the storyline and gives a better insight into other characters, there several more comedy scenes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Just home from "The Other Guys", reluctantly went to it not expecting much, left with pretty much the same opinion.

Watch the trailer, you get all the funny pieces from it and save yourself a few bob too.

Just watched Predators. I enjoyed it tbh, it really took a while to get used to seeing Adrian Brody in that type of role, still not sure if he was the right man for it.

And that music! So glad they kept it! Greatest score to a movie ever!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Watched Garage last night, some poster here recommended it, anyways really really liked it, i thought pat short was amazing in it the part was made for him, didn't even know he could act,
    it's pretty slow moving but it's beautifully done i really felt for his character,
    same director as Adam and Paul which i also loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭billiejosie

Mean Machine: watched this again last night, I had forgotton how much I liked it to be honest. Not a comedy film but still had me laughing at Vinnie Jones's one liners and of the course, the "big finale". :) A grittier version of The Longest Yard but really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was pretty good, I still say Kick Ass was better...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

nix wrote: »
    Pontypool: The best horror film i have seen in a long time, kept me glued to the screen from start to finish. Set in a radio room broadcasting out of the basement of a church, the tension slowly builds throughout the movie as the radio station gets reports of strange things transpiring from within the quiet town of Pontypool.

You must watch!

That is one gem of a movie!

I watched Inception...for the third time in the cinema....I can't get enough of the sound in that film. And the score is probably one of the best I have ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭8mv

Saw Frankenstein myself recently. Haven't seen Bride of Frankenstein yet since I was very young. Its the true masterpiece. Even better than Frankenstein. Amazingly parts of Frankenstein were banned in the USA for years.

I watch a movie with the kids most weekends. While we don't watch anything inappropriate, we do watch some films that wouldn't be regarded as family fare. The original Frankenstein is the only one so far that they have refused to watch because it frightened them.
    (The scene with the little girl on the riverbank)

We watched Memento last week. Great movie to keep you interested. C Nolan always makes films you can talk about afterwards. They are not instantly forgetable. The Prestige was another one we spoke about for days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Feel good movie.A true story worth a watch.Sandra bullock is great in this and she looks great as well.;)
    The story of Michael Oher, a homeless and traumatized boy who became an All American football player and first round NFL draft pick with the help of a caring woman and her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The Notebook

Wasn't actually as bad as I was expecting... Kind of ruined it for my girlfriend by giggling uncontrollably when her mum uttered the immortal line
    "Look at me, I'm a big old bawl bag"
    in her southern drawl
    Gonna have to stick that on youtube now methinks!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Buried - Just back. Was very skeptical going in, it wasn't as bad as i though it might be. Considering the budge, i'd give it 6 out of 10.

An Education - Worth seeing alone for the performance of Carey Mulligan, which is incredible.

Zodiac - Quite good methinks. Very long, more than 2 and and 1/2 hours but it stays away from the dramatic route which pleased me. I don't know if this is even worth putting in spoilers but i particularly thought that the
    Basement
    scene was brilliantly done.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A Serbian Film, just terrible in every way, ludicrous in trying to be violent to the point where its funny rather than shocking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Monsters, a low budget Cloverfield meets War of the Worlds type thing set in Mexico, it's kinda like Moon in the way that it's not all flashy CGI but more character driven, decent sci-fi film.

And The Town, great crime film, Heat in Boston. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement