Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Koran burning - arrestable offence yay or nay ?

Options
  • 23-09-2010 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

Yay arrest the koran burners
    Nay do not arrest the koran burners
    'trolley mc pratt' option

Just reading this story here about 6 men arrested for burning a koran (which is being described as'incitement to hatred').

http://breakingnews.ie/world/police-arrest-six-over-burning-korans-474799.html
    23/09/2010 - 12:50:06
    Police arrested six people on suspicion of inciting racial hatred after a recording of what appeared to be Korans being burned appeared on the internet, a force spokesman said today.

Officers detained two men on September 15 and four more yesterday and all six were bailed pending further inquiries, Northumbria Police said.

“The arrests followed the burning of what are believed to have been two Korans in Gateshead on September 11,” the spokesman said.

“The incident was recorded and a video placed on the internet.”

In a video still accessible on Youtube, six young men in hooded tops or wearing scarves over their faces can be seen pouring petrol on a book and setting it alight, before burning another.

On the video, which appeared to have been filmed behind a pub, they cheer as the first book bursts into flames.

Northumbria Police said the men were not arrested for watching or distributing the video, but on suspicion of burning the Koran.

Gateshead Council and the force issued a joint statement to stress that community relations in the area were good.

It said: “The kind of behaviour displayed in this video is not at all representative of our community as a whole.

“Our community is one of mutual respect and we continue to work together with community leaders, residents and people of all faiths and beliefs to maintain good community relations.”

The men may have been copying Florida-based Pastor Terry Jones, who caused an international outcry by threatening to burn the holy book on September 11, although he did not go ahead with the plan.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/world/police-arrest-six-over-burning-korans-474799.html#ixzz10MHS9m9N

Soooo . . . .. What do you think - is this correct that it should be an arrestable offence for burning a koran and putting the video on youtube ?

If you do think it should be an arrestable offence does this also apply to any book deemed to be holy ?

Koran burning - arrestable offence yay or nay ? 92 votes

Yay arrest the koran burners !!
    0%
    Nay do not arrest the koran burners !!
    14%
    CorkManGreyfoxbaldbearPace2008TheKellshappyfridaykarlogXxMCRxBabyxXstorm2811Millicentgoat247estadio 13 votes
    'trolley mc pratt' option ?#/?
    85%
    D-GenerateSpearKilOitDementoRViper_JB[Deleted User]meditraitorgizmoDegsycondraphilologosdeisedevilstrobeDavei141Sam VimesbikoyoyoNotoriousMRPRO03smash 79 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Its as pointless as people who burn flags thinking of making a point, how is it hateful burning a fúcking book?

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Burning a book is an absolutely idiotic way to make a 'point.' But it should no more be illegal to burn a Koran than any copy of Cecilia Aherne's shit-lits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Publicly doing it is insightment of racial hatred, so yes.

Privately doing it, as in just burning loads of rubbish in your back garden (maybe you have a load of old religious books lying about the house that you never use), no - providing you have a permit for a domestic fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Morlar wrote: »

Yay arrest the koran burners
    Nay do not arrest the koran burners
    'trolley mc pratt' option

Just reading this story here about 6 men arrested for burning a koran (which is being described as'incitement to hatred').

http://breakingnews.ie/world/police-arrest-six-over-burning-korans-474799.html

Soooo . . . .. What do you think - is this correct that it should be an arrestable offence for burning a koran and putting the video on youtube ?

If you do think it should be an arrestable offence does this also apply to any book deemed to be holy ?

If they weren't trying to incite racial hatred then they have odd ways of keeping warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It depends on the reason.

I don't think hatred is an adequate reason to prohibit this right, but if there is a public ordinance against burning outside for public safety reasons then yes it should be prohibited irrespective of the paper that is burned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Trashbat wrote: »
    Publicly doing it is insightment of racial hatred, so yes.

And if the muslim 'race' fears being hated because someone burns that book on youtube - does that irrational fear/worry/concern outweigh your liberties or mine ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

I'd burn it... and I'd use a burning bible to do so... then warm my hands around the two of them buring in a heap!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Inciting racial hatred is illegal, burning the Qur'an is not.

Noffles wrote: »
    I'd burn it... and I'd use a burning bible to do so... then warm my hands around the two of them buring in a heap!

Consecutive sentences there buddy, not concurrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

This old thread..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

When they stop eating dogs I'll say they shouldn't be burned any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It's a book. It's paper and some glue. You are not burning the ideals of the book you're just burning a book.

Actually this might be a great idea. Burn bibles too! Rabble rabble rabble rabble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

And if the muslim 'race' fears being hated because someone burns that book on youtube - does that irrational fear/worry/concern outweigh your liberties or mine ?

UK law takes into account religious hatred, hatred based on sexual orientation, hatred based on gender and a lot of other categories.

I'm not sure if hating the Qur'an is quite the same thing as hating the people who believe in the Qur'an though.
    chin_grin wrote: »
    It's a book. It's paper and some glue. You are not burning the ideals of the book you're just burning a book.

In agreement with this sentiment. Without the ideas on the page, it is just a book. The ideas that are inscribed on those pages, will not be any less true or false if someone burns the book that they are contained in.

One need only look on youtube to see how many people have burned the Bible or Qur'an in the past.

amacachi wrote: »
    When they stop eating dogs I'll say they shouldn't be burned any more.

They've pretty much stopped, you'll be happy to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Walking to the front of a mosque and burning it - yay

Burning it so you can cook the pilot from your downed aeroplane in the Andes - nay.

All depends on the circumstances. Its like cutting up a teddy bear. In itself not a big thing, but if you do it in front of it's two year old owner you become a bastard.

Jakkass wrote: »
    I'm not sure if hating the Qur'an is quite the same thing as hating the people who believe in the Qur'an though.

I'd broadly agree with that. I would call it an expression of disapproval not an incitement to hatred (of either the book or the religion).

Ironically the rushdie book and effigy burnings of several years ago were an incitement to hatred - literally a 'call for murder' in a way that the above morons on youtube were simply not.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    They've pretty much stopped, you'll be happy to hear.

Thought it still happens a lot in the North, must be fairly in demand since the government fixed its price not long ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yea or nay - and publically doing it is probably incitement, so yea.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I burned my Harry Potter book. Does that make me a bad man too?

You must've done it in private though, if it were in public there would've been someone who put a hex on you and you wouldn't be posting about it.

• Advertisement

Not sure but if you burn a copy of 'twilight' it means that you hate transexuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Not sure but if you burn a copy of 'twilight' it means that you hate transexuals.

Didn't know there were transexuals in Twish!te, thought they were asexual or necrophiliac.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

It was obviously meant in a provocative manner when you watch the video referred to in the article:

Not sure but if you burn a copy of 'twilight' it means that you hate Mormons.

That's more like it.

It was obviously meant in a provocative manner when you watch the video referred to in the article:

Typical thick as pig-shit cowards. Covering their faces so they don't get recognised and babbling like morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

'Muslim' isn't any race I've heard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Nay do not arrest the koran burners !!
    Yes, publicly burning it is pig-headed and churlish at best, and can easily be construed as an incitement to hatred.

Saying "It's just a book" is ignoring the all-important context. It may be a load of nonsense but it's very dear to a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Typical thick as pig-shit cowards. Covering their faces so they don't get recognised and babbling like morons.

Its called a hijab you insensitive curr. :pac:

Its called a hijab you insensitive curr. :pac:
    Damn it. Am I gonna be arrested now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

I recently downloaded the Koran to my hard drive, does any one want me to burn a copy for them...

Advertisement