Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Koran burning - arrestable offence yay or nay ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

No, it shouldn't be.

However, I am pretty sure you can't publicy burn anything in the street without getting some sort of permit? If its the case where you can't generally burn stuff in public, then that is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

Nay do not arrest the koran burners !!
    you could be done for disturbing the peace

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Nay do not arrest the koran burners !!
    Burning ANY religious book should be a crime because it:
    a)wastes paper
    b) bad for the environment
    c) i don't get the "We shall respect freedom of speech by demonstration i.e burn books sacred to some people" brigade.
    Also i don't agree with burning anything publicly except coal or gas or France Jerseys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

'trolley mc pratt' option ?#/?
    I'm thinking of installing a koran-burning stove in my house..apparantly it heats the radiators far better than other religous tracts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It was obviously meant in a provocative manner when you watch the video referred to in the article:

Whata bunch of fcuckin idiots..they nearly immoliated themselves as well as teh Koran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The Muslim society in UCD had a sign up at their stand in the... ugh... frehsers tent (I only went in for the free crap) that said 'Free Koran, Learn - Not Burn.'

Nice to see a bit of humour about the situation tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

emmm... so its alright for muslim protesters to set fire to the british and american flags.. but people arnt allowed to burn the koran...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

If you burn a book, ANY BOOK, you should in turn be burned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The Muslim society in UCD had a sign up at their stand in the... ugh... frehsers tent (I only went in for the free crap) that said 'Free Koran, Learn - Not Burn.'

Nice to see a bit of humour about the situation tbh.

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

squod wrote: »
    Cool story bro.

Glad you enjoyed it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Incitement to hatred should not be a crime.

Starting bonfires in public laneways perhaps.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

Morlar wrote: »
    And if the muslim 'race' fears being hated because someone burns that book on youtube - does that irrational fear/worry/concern outweigh your liberties or mine ?

The fear is not really the point. The point is someone is doing something withthe sole intention of causing controversy.

The existence of the book doesn't bother or effect me in any way, but it does mean something to a Muslim. So if someone burns something they don't care about for the sole purpose of annoying one religious group and creating controversy (and publicity) at their expense, then it is insightment of hatred.

Picking on the race thing is splitting hairs.

Basically, we should adopt the general rule of boards "don't be a dick" about these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Trashbat wrote: »
    The fear is not really the point. The point is someone is doing something with the sole intention of causing controversy.

Had to stop here.

People do things with the sole intention of causing controversy on a daily basis. Heck, even here in AH I'm sure :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nah, leave the bloody book alone ffs.

Why in the name of fvck do people want to go out of their way to cause offence to other's - its idiocy tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Personally I think they are idiots, and I haven't actually even watched the video and don't intend to. The principle is the important part of the story & the thoughts of somone getting arrested in Europe for a public book burning in the year 2010 are insane in my view. This undermines civil liberties & the right to express disatisfaction. The right to publicly burn a book as a form of protest/expression should be given priority over the rights of others not to be offended.

Nah, leave the bloody book alone ffs.

Why in the name of fvck do people want to go out of their way to cause offence to other's - its idiocy tbh.

Some people go out of their way to be offended.

Burning a book that person a) considers precious in no way affects person a) anymore than it affects person b) (who does not consider it precious).

If you subsribe to that notion of assigning of a 'preciousness aspect' to any given book you are already on the backfoot and surrendering civil liberties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Morlar wrote: »
    If you subsribe to that notion of assigning of a 'preciousness aspect' to any given book you are already on the backfoot and surrendering civil liberties.

Nothing to do with civil liberties, its just a little common decency and respect. It won't kill you NOT to burn a Koran, so why do it?.

Respect goes both ways.

Example, I coach two Palestinian children. One day I totally forgot myself and took an IDF paratroopers t-shirt to training with me to wear under my judo jacket.

The father was offender, I removed the t-shirt and apologized. I didn't feel like I'd given up any civil liberties.

I also train with an Iranian lad, I do the same with him.

I'm not put out by it, but if I WANTED to cause offence it would be the easiest thing in the world just to wear the damned shirt and take the attitude of 'fook em!.

Its decency, doesn't matter a damned to me if its the Koran or a copy of The Beano. Leave the damned thing alone and cop-on ta' fvck.

Nothing to do with civil liberties, its just a little common decency and respect. It won't kill you NOT to burn a Koran, so why do it?

Name a single civil liberty where it would 'kill you' to give it up ?

Advertisement