Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M9 motorway (general thread)

• 17-09-2010 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Pick up all M9 chat here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ForestFire

WooHoo first person on the newly open M9.........thread......:D

Now can we get keep the tractors off please..........And half in the hard shoulder is actually worse than just driving on the inside lane:mad:.......is he off..is he on...can I pass...probably...oh no he's out a bit...can I change lane....oh no Audi TT coming at pace:rolleyes:...will just have to squeeze:eek:...phew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭tramor

ForestFire wrote: »
    WooHoo first person on the newly open M9.........thread......:D

Now can we get keep the tractors off please..........And half in the hard shoulder is actually worse than just driving on the inside lane:mad:.......is he off..is he on...can I pass...probably...oh no he's out a bit...can I change lane....oh no Audi TT coming at pace:rolleyes:...will just have to squeeze:eek:...phew

I think you really should report those tractors to the cops. They will deal with it. I know it does take some effort on your part. I think this is another fine example of the wide spread Irish low level disregard for the law (except this is not that low level) that does not exist in Germany. Society runs better when citizens have a strong desire to obey the law as against have to have the law rammed down their throats. It's there for the common good. This law breaking is the "me feinism" (not sure of spelling) that is a blight on our country and effects us negatively in all sorts of ways. You can knock the Germans for their law abiding, but I for one would advocate more of it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

This may have been said, but I couldn't find a thread. I drove from Tramore to Kilkenny city (and back) by the new motorway yesterday, and it took me 47 minutes door to door on a trip that used take an hour and twenty minutes. That's some improvement! Its also a quite scenic drive and a good deal easier than the old road, which was a chore to drive, especially at night. I turned off at Danesfort going up, but went on the new road coming back and it took exactly the same amount of time. The saving is negotiating Waterford and eliminating the tour of some of the less interesting south Kilkenny villages ;)

Edit: oops, I couldn't find a thread because I was looking in the wrong place.

Now I have found the thread, like the tractor story above, coming back in the dark last night I saw three cars parked with no lights on the motorway hard shoulder, and one guy walking at a lighted junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tramor wrote: »
    I think you really should report those tractors to the cops. They will deal with it. I know it does take some effort on your part. I think this is another fine example of the wide spread Irish low level disregard for the law (except this is not that low level) that does not exist in Germany. Society runs better when citizens have a strong desire to obey the law as against have to have the law rammed down their throats. It's there for the common good. This law breaking is the "me feinism" (not sure of spelling) that is a blight on our country and effects us negatively in all sorts of ways. You can knock the Germans for their law abiding, but I for one would advocate more of it here.
    Unfortunately Tramor, it's currently not illegal for a tractor to be on a motorway if it is normally capable of driving at 50kph of higher, which many do quite easily. The only thing the Gardaí can nail them for is driving on the hard shoulder which is an offence no matter what you drive. By the time you've reported it and a car sent out (if one is available) to drive 10k to the nearest junction to even get on the motorway, the tractor has probably pulled off at the next junction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Unfortunately Tramor, it's currently not illegal for a tractor to be on a motorway if it is normally capable of driving at 50kph of higher, which many do quite easily. The only thing the Gardaí can nail them for is driving on the hard shoulder which is an offence no matter what you drive. By the time you've reported it and a car sent out (if one is available) to drive 10k to the nearest junction to even get on the motorway, the tractor has probably pulled off at the next junction.

Could of course just take a picture of them and note their reg. *

The passenger of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I love the M9 :D. Best thing to happen the South East ever! Dublin to Kilkenny used to be such a torturous trip a few short years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mistermister

A bit twisty and bendy. It was raining and had to slow down to 90 or 100. Didn't feel safe driving at 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Drove from Dublin to Waterford this morning. Not only is it so much quicker and safer, but its a far more comfortable drive. It's now I wonder how we managed to drive the old N9 without going totally insane!

I would echo some of the things others have said about the rules of the road and motorways. I passed two learner drivers (judging by their age, the 'L' plate was obviously for them) who obviously shouldn't be on the motorway.

Also, the trip would be easier if some people didn't regard the overtaking lane as their own personal fiefdom! I'd say my maximum speed was probably 125kph at any stage but was held up a few times by drivers in the overtaking lane who weren't overtaking, but just dawdling along at 80-90kph with nobody on the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

A bit twisty and bendy. It was raining and had to slow down to 90 or 100. Didn't feel safe driving at 120.

Of course if it was raining the logical thing is/was to slow down like you did. The M9 has some superb straight sections to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Bards

Got a response to my mail from Kilkenny Co Co on Friday with the opening Brochure as the link was broken and they were looking into it.

it now works :D

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Roads_Projects/N9-N10_Kilcullen_to_Waterford_Road_Scheme/M9_M10_Phase_4_Motorway_Scheme_Brochure_FINAL.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Anyone that thinks the M9 is twisty needs to drive in Germany or France...the alignment and gradients of our new motorways are absolutely top class.

Well yes, drive at the speed you feel safe! I thought the slight bends were good though, they were just enough to keep you concentrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Taken yesterday between heavy showers!

1. Start of the new section, south of Carlow.
    IMG_6007.JPG

2. Just after J6.
    IMG_6011.JPG

3. Overbridge.
    IMG_6016.JPG

4. 2km ADS for J7.
    IMG_6018.JPG

5. Fuel, dinner, and a round of golf. What more could you want?
    IMG_6021.JPG

6. Gantry for J7.
    IMG_6024.JPG

7. RCS after J7. Hard to believe that Waterford is less than half an hour from here now.
    IMG_6026.JPG

8. Another bridge.
    IMG_6030.JPG

9. 2km ADS for the new Kilkenny link road (N10).
    IMG_6032.JPG

10. 500m ADS. Northbound, the exit is also signed for Durrow.
    IMG_6037.JPG

11. Small sign, extra-long gantry arm. The N10 interchange is via a trumpet which goes below the M9 mainline.
    IMG_6038.JPG

12. 25 mins to Waterford from Kilkenny.
    IMG_6042.JPG

13. High bridge over a cutting south of Kilkenny.
    IMG_6046.JPG

14. Approaching the end of the newly-opened section. Apologies for the blur, but it was raining heavily and the light was poor.
    IMG_6051.JPG

15. J9 marks the end of the section opened two weeks ago.
    IMG_6056.JPG

Great pics

Cant help but think that of all the 7 dwarfs to do the signage, Dopey drew the black egg.

All Kilkenny/Carlow signs dont have the "North" or "South" entry signs to indicate what part of town you would be approaching. Even the Tullamore bypass didnt make this mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Why are you so surprised? Ireland doesn't do signage very well. 'Ah sure it'll be grand, it'll do rightly.'

This the country that last produced a road sign manual in 1996 and can't even get the signs to fit poles or brackets half the time.

NFD100 wrote: »
    Why are you so surprised? Ireland doesn't do signage very well. 'Ah sure it'll be grand, it'll do rightly.'

This the country that last produced a road sign manual in 1996 and can't even get the signs to fit poles or brackets half the time.

Im sure we do better than most countries of similar size overall, but yes the itll do attitude isnt good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Great pics

Cant help but think that of all the 7 dwarfs to do the signage, Dopey drew the black egg.

All Kilkenny/Carlow signs dont have the "North" or "South" entry signs to indicate what part of town you would be approaching. Even the Tullamore bypass didnt make this mistake

J4 is definitely marked "Carlow North" and I'm fairly sure J5 is marked "Carlow South", but as you can see J6 isn't marked as any side. Imo J5 should be Carlow East and J6 Carlow South, but you just gotta love the inconsistency. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

N10 not in brackets on numerous signs there too.

Makes my blood boil to see our money so easily wasted on incorrect signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bronstein

can't find decent map of new m9. does if end at waterford? wondering where best to leave it to get to dunmore east - coming from north-. can I bypass waterford city?

• Advertisement

bronstein wrote: »
    can't find decent map of new m9. does if end at waterford? wondering where best to leave it to get to dunmore east - coming from north-. can I bypass waterford city?

At the end of the Motorway take the 1st exit off the Roundabout (Quarry Roundabout)signposted Waterford/Cork/Rosslare

at the next Roundabout (Grannagh Junction) take the 3rd exit signposted N25 Cork (Waterford City Bypass - TOLL)

go over the bridge and pay the toll and take the next exit (Off Ramp) keep going straight through all the roundabout's (Approx 10) and follow the signs for Dunmore

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Hey Bards,

Imagine trying to give them same directions a year ago!!! :D

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Hey Bards,

Imagine trying to give them same directions a year ago!!! :D

would be a bit more difficult - but manageable

But I know what you mean. For someone not familiar with the City, the Bypass & Western Link makes it really easy to get around, and now coupled with the Motorway Waterford is very accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bronstein

thanks for directions. but will probably go thru the city as I resent paying tolls. should be quiet enough on weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

thanks for directions. but will probably go thru the city as I resent paying tolls. should be quiet enough on weekend.

Waterford is pretty busy along the quays during the weekend!

I agree bar rush hour I would never use the toll when I am going home to Tramore.

tramor wrote: »

Should I also report everytime I see someone Jay walking in Dublin:confused:. Its against the law and can be quite dangerous too. I noticed a few times at busy pedestian crossings people go before green man, when there is a break in traffic, and others just follow not knowing its red and more cars are coming.

If something happens often enough I should not have to report it, the cops should be fully aware of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

1hr 45 minutes from Waterford to DCU today. To make that same trip with Bus Eireann and then Dublin Bus can be as much as 4 hours long!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I have only just seen this; not sure if it has been posted before but TV3 reporting from the emergency lane on the day that the final section of M9 opened :pac:

• Advertisement

much better coverage than what RTÉ (our National Broadcaster) showed

Advertisement