Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wannabe Freemason is now a CT mod.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

It's not even so much that they did it, if they did, it's that they lied about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 M.H.M

The corruption of evil men has spread like a cancer into the hearts of good men. We are witnessing a time of great turmoil, but also of great change. Lines are being drawn and sides are being chosen. This corruption will soon be removed as a festering apple is plucked from the bushel.

13:8-13

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Sarky wrote: »
    Two cents time:

Knickers have been so thoroughly twisted over this it would make Escher shed a non-Euclidean tear. I think the over-reaction is very stupid. If an admin did change that avatar, I'll be disappointed if they apologise.

You dont think it qualified as 'acting the d!ck'?

I doubt many people have uncomfortable underwear at this stage, the OP had approx. 0% support and was a distatsteful charachter, so im sure few care unduly about his feelings; it is the sense that there is nothing wrong whatsoever in applying double standards to posters & Mods/Admins that grates many of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭xw2lj9uspm1eyh

Ah another Feedback thread another debacle,I'm glad I don't post in the forums that some of the mods that replied in this thread are in charge of.If the digs and snide comments they've used here are anything to go by wouldn't be fun.Sure the OP deserved to be banned but the elitist attitude of some posters to goad him before he got banned was nasty.If you have to resort to digs and to act the dick to get brownie points with your peers it's a sad state of affairs I have more respect for the mods who don't resort to doing this.For the person who changed the avatar "One man's joke is another's insult" This isn't the cuckoo's nest or AH so if this is the new thing in feedback expect a load of lolcats from the users for the lols in the future :).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

tbh wrote: »
    Nah. I'm not qualified to make the judgement but I'm entitled to give my opinion, same as anyone.

If boards.ie gave you or me or anybody else the right to pronounce an opinion on the mental health of another participant, then boards.ie would be wrong.

But I don't think boards.ie gives that right: making such a pronouncement seems to be in breach of the "don't be a dick" guideline.
    I said what i said because I wanted to help the op, not because I wanted to take a pop. I don't really care if you don't believe me, but no way I'd apologise for that

There is little likelihood that making an inexpert public pronouncement on a person's mental health would be helpful to that person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

I have no sympathy for him, if he can't take it he shouldn't give it. He broke the rules in so many ways that the admins should be free to do what they like with his account, especially once he started making threats against boards itself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Dudess wrote: »
    So you're saying (and I'm speaking in general here): someone makes themselves look like an asshole, deal with them by making yourself look like an asshole too rather than being the bigger person and addressing them in a more mature manner? I thought that was confined to the playground.

I made a point of saying in very rare cases when I made my post. I don't think the above should be applied as a general policy. Neither did I try to defend the other actions taken. Whatever was done to Demonspawn's avatar would have been hilarious Feedback-justice three years ago, but is no longer appropriate at all.

He was being addressed in Feedback, the Help Desk and in several threads across various forums for the best part of a month. Some people didn't interact with him maturely and action was taken to rectify that. He was given chance after chance to interact with the Admins in a "professional" manner. The correct Dispute Resolution Procedure was explained to him carefully by at least 4 Admins, various moderators, and in more casual terms by other posters.

And then he came in here railing about how the whole site was wrong, throwing abuse back at the people who'd been trying to help him out with his many complaints. What would you have done in that situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

But I don't think boards.ie gives that right: making such a pronouncement seems to be in breach of the "don't be a dick" guideline.

There is little likelihood that making an inexpert public pronouncement on a person's mental health would be helpful to that person.
    I disagree. There are certain posters who revel in the role of the troll, I was expressing m opinion that the op wasnt one of them. I believed then, as I still believe, that the responsible thing to do was to remove his access to the site. Leaving hin post here wasn't doing him any favours. I believe that he was getting very stressed and I felt the admins should "put him out of his misery" so to speak. Baiting him the way he was baited could not have been helpful to him, and I think it reflects poorly on the site. Normally I think people should take abuse when they give it out, but not this guy. It wasn't a joke to him. I got slated for winding up a poster in another feedback thread, perhaps rightly so. In that case I felt that the user could take it. In this case , I don't. That's why I said what I said, and I'd say it again If a similar situation arose. Sorry.

I disagree. There are certain posters who revel in the role of the troll, I was expressing m opinion that the op wasnt one of them. I believed then, as I still believe, that the responsible thing to do was to remove his access to the site. Leaving hin post here wasn't doing him any favours. I believe that he was getting very stressed and I felt the admins should "put him out of his misery" so to speak. Baiting him the way he was baited could not have been helpful to him, and I think it reflects poorly on the site. Normally I think people should take abuse when they give it out, but not this guy. I qanat a joke to him.

If he had mental health issues, and was in an acute phase of such an illness, do you think that pointing to his mental health issues was 'doing him any favours'? Do you think that provoking him by changing his avator was 'doing him any favours'?

I have no sympathy whatsoever for the guy but the kind of 'defence' being mounted by many here in respect of the actions of one particular Admin is pathetic, by any standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sarky wrote: »
    I think the over-reaction is very stupid. If an admin did change that avatar, I'll be disappointed if they apologise.

May I ask why? There's been a lot of talk lately about how important civility is. Some of the comments were uncivil, not least the OPs.. so why was the thread allowed to develop to a point where someone felt the need to be a dick and change his avatar?

The thread should have been closed before that happened.. An apology or admittance now would make little odds really anyway, what's done is done.. and saying that you'd be disappointed by whoever changed his avatar apologizing, is disappointing in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

drkpower wrote: »
    one Admin (? identity) decided to go completely over the top by abusing his authority unneccessarily provoking the guy by changing his avatar etc and yet still hasnt taken any responsibility for those actions, and his fellow Admins dont seem to think anything untoward has happened at all.
    Do you think this is an unprecedented act? Show up in here on April 1 sometime.

sparksgotpwned.png

The rest of us accept such jibes as best we can, remembering phrases like "with good grace" and "sense of humour" as we do so; demanding that the site be shut down due to an abuse of power by an Admin is at best... nonlinear. It certainly shouldn't be a demand which is entertained, not unless actual malice was involved, which doesn't seem to have been the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I have no sympathy for him, if he can't take it he shouldn't give it. He broke the rules in so many ways that the admins should be free to do what they like with his account, especially once he started making threats against boards itself.

So where does the Avatar changing stop -

*will repulicans have theirs changed to a british flag if they slag off a mod?
    *will a follower of Islam have a Mohammid picture put up if they get out of hand?
    *will a rape victim get a picture of a rape if they troll?

And for the people that want to 'genuinely' help him then why didnt you PM him instead of trolling for 3-4 pages in a thread and yet he was called a troll -

seems double standards for mods and their fanboys to the rest!

I disagree. There are certain posters who revel in the role of the troll, I was expressing m opinion that the op wasnt one of them. I believed then, as I still believe, that the responsible thing to do was to remove his access to the site. Leaving hin post here wasn't doing him any favours. I believe that he was getting very stressed and I felt the admins should "put him out of his misery" so to speak. Baiting him the way he was baited could not have been helpful to him, and I think it reflects poorly on the site. Normally I think people should take abuse when they give it out, but not this guy. It wasn't a joke to him. I got slated for winding up a poster in another feedback thread, perhaps rightly so. In that case I felt that the user could take it. In this case , I don't. That's why I said what I said, and I'd say it again If a similar situation arose. Sorry.

In sum, you think it is acceptable to make a public judgement on another poster's mental health.

Words fail me.

If he had mental health issues, and was in an acute phase of such an illness, do you think that pointing to his mental health issues was 'doing him any favours'?
    Yes, obviously I do. Like I said, I felt that removing him from the site was in his own best interests

Do you think that provoking him by changing his avator was 'doing him any favours'?

No I don't, but I didn't do it, and if the person who did felt the same way about the op as I did, they probably wouldn't have done it either

In sum, you think it is acceptable to make a public judgement on another poster's mental health.

Words fail me.

What's so bad about that?

Sparks wrote: »
    The rest of us accept such jibes as best we can, remembering phrases like "with good grace" and "sense of humour" as we do so; demanding that the site be shut down due to an abuse of power by an Admin is at best... nonlinear. It certainly shouldn't be a demand which is entertained, not unless actual malice was involved, which doesn't seem to have been the case here.

:confused: Do you think changing his avatar was a light hearted April 1 style pulling of the leg? Come on.... And who is talking about 'shutting down the site'? :confused:

We have some people saying here that it was clear the guy had mental health issues - and then we have you saying it was all in good fun? Its the piss-poor attempts at defending what happened here which is the reallly sad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

There's a clear difference between fellow staff members taking the mick on April fools, and changing a soon to be banned member's avatar and signature to something which will cause an angry reaction.

It was needless, unprofessional and only served to hasten the thread's development into a circus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Yes, obviously I do. Like I said, I felt that removing him from the site was in his own best interests

:confused:Excuse me? Publically pointing to the guys mental health issues, while he in an acute phase of mental illness, is doing him a favour now.....???.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So where does the Avatar changing stop -

*will repulicans have theirs changed to a british flag if they slag off a mod?
    *will a follower of Islam have a Mohammid picture put up if they get out of hand?
    *will a rape victim get a picture of a rape if they troll?

And for the people that want to 'genuinely' help him then why didnt you PM him instead of trolling for 3-4 pages in a thread and yet he was called a troll -

seems double standards for mods and their fanboys to the rest!

I dunno, where the admins say it ends maybe. I thought it was funny :)
    Demonspawns posts were worse than trolling, and you know that.

• Advertisement

There's a difference between changing an avatar for the craic as it were, in a situation where it's a shared joke between the "victim" and the person doing it. It's even in the t&cs that b.ie reserves the right to change usernames, although I suspect that's not what they had in mind.

Overstepping the mark, be it pulling the wings of a fly (as in baiting them-pricking around with their account), as someone eloquently said elsewhere, or banning/insulting someone for admitting the use of adblock, is quite another matter, and is quantified by what is deemed acceptable.

There are a couple of different issues here running in tandem, but the over-riding concerns should be the willingness to close down the discussion, the lack of transparency surrounding the matter, and the possibility that one or more people posted untruths or misinformed facts that no one is in a hurry to correct in respect of this case.

I'll make a prediction though, this thread will soon be locked-in terms of site controversies it's barely a ripple, and in a day or two it will be forgotten. It's happened before with far bigger issues than this. The biggest weapon in the arsenal of those who want to maintain the status quo here is the apathy of everyone else.

:confused:Excuse me? Publically pointing to the guys mental health issues, while he in an acute phase of mental illness, is doing him a favour now.....???.:confused:

so you think he was in an acute phase of mental illness?

and let me answer your questions with a question. You see a guy in O'Connell street showing all the signs of having a nervous breakdown of some sort. In your opinion, granted, but nonetheless. You see him getting agressive and shouting etc, and then the guards arrive. Now, in that situation, I would say to the guards, listen, I think this guy might be mentally ill. You might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Can we give public judgements in Longterm illnesses in forum you mod

I have no idea. But I asked a question - 'If he had mental health issues, and was in an acute phase of such an illness, do you think that pointing to his mental health issues was 'doing him any favours'?'- to which you replied 'yes, i do' - so i am assuming you think he did. In addition, if he did have mental illness, as you have suggested, the manner in which he was acting would seem to indicate that his illness was 'active' at the time, dont you think? Or did you consider that possibility when you were pointing to his mental illness in a public forum?

acting would seem to indicate that his illness was 'active' at the time, dont you think?

yeah exactly. That's why I said his access to the site should be removed.

WIZE wrote: »
    Can we give public judgements in Longterm illnesses in forum you mod

public judgements? wtf are you talking about? You think I'm the one who determines if he's mentally ill or not?

But I asked a question - 'If he had mental health issues, and was in an acute phase of such an illness, do you think that pointing to his mental health issues was 'doing him any favours'?'- to which you replied 'yes, i do' - so i am assuming you think he did.

yes because I did. I thought then, as I think now, that the best thing the site could do for him is remove him.

yeah exactly. That's why I said his access to the site should be removed.
    I agree with the access removal.
    It is the bit where you publically refer to his mental illness that some people have a diffciulty with. Do you think that publically referring to his mental illness was doing him any favours?

and let me answer your questions with a question. You see a guy in O'Connell street showing all the signs of having a nervous breakdown of some sort. In your opinion, granted, but nonetheless. You see him getting agressive and shouting etc, and then the guards arrive. Now, in that situation, I would say to the guards, listen, I think this guy might be mentally ill. You might not.

I would, what I wouldn't do is bait him whether intended or not by asking him leading questions to cheers from the crowd.

As I said, I'm not saying that was your intention, but that was the end result. The fact that the cops pulled down his pants and stuck a flower in his butt before they threw him in the paddywagon didn't help either ;)

• Advertisement

I really am surprised that you should need to have such things explained to you. For starters:
    1. You have no competence.
    2. If a person does not have a mental health issue, then a suggestion that he does is disturbing or offensive.
    3. If he does have mental health issues, then saying it to a group of people who have no role in dealing with those issues is an invasion of privacy.
    4. Putting the question out there in a public forum might exacerbate any problems that the person is experiencing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement