Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i stop my dog barking at night

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

that sounds very cruel to me

This is in no way cruel, does not harm the dog in any way, its simply a citrus scent which distracts the dog and takes his mind off the act of barking. This type of bark collar is recommended by the DSPCA of which I am a volunteer worker and have everyday contact with dogs of all types and temperaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

Buy a bark collar in Argos, they are around €40 but well worth the money. When the dog barks it squirts out a puff of lemon scent, does the dog no harm whatsoever. The idea is that it distracts the dog and he will soon learn not to bark. I used one with a rescue dog I got from the DSPCA and have not had a problem.

Hi,

I had a look at these, I am looking at €55 now, Do you think it is actually worth it or will i end up spending a fortune on refils etc for it.

Also will it trigger if another dog barks and not her???

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There's one very simple solution (and it has been mentioned here before)

Let the dog(s) sleep inside.*

*Yes, it's THAT simple

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

This is in no way cruel, does not harm the dog in any way, its simply a citrus scent which distracts the dog and takes his mind off the act of barking. This type of bark collar is recommended by the DSPCA of which I am a volunteer worker and have everyday contact with dogs of all types and temperaments.
    I've heard mixed reviews of this type of collar. Firstly because the scent clings to the dog's fur for ages, so it's 'punished' long after the initial barking. I've also heard of some dogs getting used to it and just not caring about being sprayed.
    ste2006 wrote: »

Thanks,
    I too have a dog that barks at night (blooming roaming cats) and I was considering getting one of the ultra sonic things that gives a high-pitched tone when the dog barks, but the fact that some can be set off by planes, cars or other dogs has put me off those.

These days I'm using a super soaker to try drench the cat, it also interrupts the dog and sends her back into her kennel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 20questions

Hi,

I had a look at these, I am looking at €55 now, Do you think it is actually worth it or will i end up spending a fortune on refils etc for it.

Thanks,

I paid €85 for one of these, the refills were €10 each and I bought 5 of them, it never worked for me. Thats not to say it wont for you.
    My dog is outside in the day while I'm at work, 1 neighbour said she was barking so I bought the spray collar, then also tried the collar that beeps every time she barks, neither worked at all, in fact with the spray collar she would start barking as soon as I put it on her and keep barking till the spray ran out (clever)
    I was at the end of my tether thinking all the neighbours would hate me but it turns out its the original neighbour that has been causing the dog to bark, banging on fence, hanging over fence taunting her,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Hi,

Thanks,

As peasant said, let them sleep inside, its the cheapest, easiest and most practical solution to the problem.

andreac wrote: »
    As peasant said, let them sleep inside, its the cheapest, easiest and most practical solution to the problem.

Yes this may be the case but the big dog gets bored inside and roams around and around, You might get up at three in the morning and if he hears you he would head out to visit you,

Yes this may be the case but the big dog gets bored inside and roams around and around, You might get up at three in the morning and if he hears you he would head out to visit you,

Crate train him and he wont wander.

If the dog stays outside there will always be distractions for him and he will continue to bark so you need to change something.
    Can you not leave him in the kitchen, living room or utility room or something?

Surely you can restrict his access to the whole house and close the door etc.
    It really isnt rocket science to solve this problem. All this talk of bark collars etc is unnecessary if you just bring the dog in at night time.

andreac wrote: »
    Not always, unfortunately. One of mine has no housetraining at all* and even if I had the room to crate her she would have no problem fouling her bedding. While I don't think crating a dog is cruel, I think that it's somewhat unfair. Who here has never woken at 3am desperate for the loo? How fair would it be if you were locked into your bedroom?

* it took 2 years to get her to differentiate between indoors and outdoors, and even now we have to keep the door open at all times because she won't ask to go out, she'll just go on the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi,

Thanks,

You will get a small refill canister with the collar, will last for ages, only the dog thats wearing it can activate it, it works, do it !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Folks, do not quote troll posts. Last warning.

Report the post, do not quote it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

kylith wrote: »
    Not always, unfortunately. One of mine has no housetraining at all* and even if I had the room to crate her she would have no problem fouling her bedding. While I don't think crating a dog is cruel, I think that it's somewhat unfair. Who here has never woken at 3am desperate for the loo? How fair would it be if you were locked into your bedroom?

* it took 2 years to get her to differentiate between indoors and outdoors, and even now we have to keep the door open at all times because she won't ask to go out, she'll just go on the carpet.

Crate training is a lot more than teaching the dog to go to sleep in the crate. You have to build to it. Unless your dog has bladder/bowel problems, I actually think CT could go a long way to solve your problems with your bitch. I wont go into it now as it would be a long post, but let us know if you're interested. A lot of people here give great advice on crate training.

With regards to your 3am concerns, when a dog is house trained, they don't go in the house anyway. With crate training, you do have to be vigilant that your dog has no stomach discomforts etc. But really, you'd be doing that anyway. If your (healthy) dog goes to the toilet last thing at night, they will not need to go again until the morning, much like people and house trained dogs. There are ways that you can teach them it's acceptable to cry for the toilet too.

Whispered wrote: »
    Crate training is a lot more than teaching the dog to go to sleep in the crate. You have to build to it. Unless your dog has bladder/bowel problems, I actually think CT could go a long way to solve your problems with your bitch. I wont go into it now as it would be a long post, but let us know if you're interested. A lot of people here give great advice on crate training.
    Oh, I know, I've talked it over with some people in the know several times. Unfortunately, aside from everything else, I don't have any space to put a crate.
    With regards to your 3am concerns, when a dog is house trained, they don't go in the house anyway. With crate training, you do have to be vigilant that your dog has no stomach discomforts etc. But really, you'd be doing that anyway. If your (healthy) dog goes to the toilet last thing at night, they will not need to go again until the morning, much like people and house trained dogs. There are ways that you can teach them it's acceptable to cry for the toilet too.
    It's not just about upset stomachs or anything that you can keep watch for. I bet that you have on occasion, for no reason, woken up in the middle of the night dying for the loo, I know I have, I've also been in situations where I've had to hold it for a long time and it's agonising. I simply don't think it's fair to put a dog in a situation like that. You can't guarantee that you'll be woken by their cries.

kylith wrote: »
    Oh, I know, I've talked it over with some people in the know several times. Unfortunately, aside from everything else, I don't have any space to put a crate.

It's not just about upset stomachs or anything that you can keep watch for. I bet that you have on occasion, for no reason, woken up in the middle of the night dying for the loo, I know I have, I've also been in situations where I've had to hold it for a long time and it's agonising. I simply don't think it's fair to put a dog in a situation like that. You can't guarantee that you'll be woken by their cries.

Animals are very different to humans in that sense, so you cannot really compare them in those type of situations.

The only time ive heard my dog cry in the night (since hes been toilet trained) to go to the toilet, was when he was on steroids recently and he was drinking excessive amounts of water so he really needed to go.

Other than that, he never asks to go out in the night and hes 4 next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 becca86

Hi,

Just came on to this to look for a bit of help... My 1 year old King Charles barks at the strangest things and it is getting really annoying. She barks in the car constantly if she is in it. She barks at any animal she sees on the TV, as well as babies and anything that doesn't look like a human!! When my partner is leaving for work she goes crazy barking and won't stop for a few minutes after he is gone. We also have a 4 month old puppy and when they are playing together she always has to be barking with excitement.

Would anyone be able to offer me any help, apart from saying don't bring her in the car and don't let her near a TV. I also don't think I'd like to use a barking control collar.

Any tips greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

becca86 wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to offer me any help, apart from saying don't bring her in the car and don't let her near a TV. I also don't think I'd like to use a barking control collar.

It sounds like your dog is very much queen of the castle :D I think it would be impossible to tell with out seeing how you both interact with her generally. Getting a behaviourist into your home I think would be the best way of pinpointing the causes of this, the barking is just a symptom. Do you do much obedience training etc with her?

<ETA> It's very likely that she is put out by the new arrival and is asserting herself so everyone knows who is boss, this shouldn't include you and your OH though!

becca86 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just came on to this to look for a bit of help... My 1 year old King Charles barks at the strangest things and it is getting really annoying. She barks in the car constantly if she is in it. She barks at any animal she sees on the TV, as well as babies and anything that doesn't look like a human!! When my partner is leaving for work she goes crazy barking and won't stop for a few minutes after he is gone. We also have a 4 month old puppy and when they are playing together she always has to be barking with excitement.

I don't know about stopping her barking at the telly, but maybe you could give her a chew just as your partner leaves the house. That might distract her. In the car I'd say put her in a crate and give her something that takes a while to eat like a bull's pizzle or a stuffed kong. That should keep her mouth too busy to bark for the first while anyway, and maybe even tire her out so she has a sleep after she's finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

i have a tone that you can put on your phone that drives dogs up the wall they will stop barking straight away, its class i also have one for teenagers that is silent to adults turn it on your phone and they say what the fcuk is that but us adults cant hear it i also have one for adults but the teens cant hear that and they all work,the only reason im here now is my next door neighbour got two dogs and you cant even open the door and they bark its just reminding me of a situation with my fathers neighbour and i got these tones rather than buy some device for 30 euro to shut things up

Sounds good, whats the tone called or there an App or anything that can be downloaded do you know??

http://www.zedge.net/ringtones/402310/3000hz-ringtone/?pos=5&search=3000
    you can get them all here just pick the one you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Get the neighbour to shoot it...theyd be more than obliging!

i would rather strangle the noisey fcuks

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

cursai wrote: »
    Get the neighbour to shoot it...theyd be more than obliging!

Infracted for this comment.jimmynokia suggest you edit your post caswell.only im on the phone to post this id infract you aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i have a tone that you can put on your phone that drives dogs up the wall they will stop barking straight away, its class i also have one for teenagers that is silent to adults turn it on your phone and they say what the fcuk is that but us adults cant hear it i also have one for adults but the teens cant hear that and they all work,the only reason im here now is my next door neighbour got two dogs and you cant even open the door and they bark its just reminding me of a situation with my fathers neighbour and i got these tones rather than buy some device for 30 euro to shut things up

I went to your link, and yes the dogs could obviously hear it, as they all cocked their heads, but I could also hear it, it would drive me nuts as well, is it not supposed to be inaudible to human ears?

But then, I can also hear the one that only teenagers are supposed to be able to hear, and I'm in my 40s:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TimJordan

I think you can use songs that scare the barking dog to scare it back

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thread closed.Can users stop bumping 13 year old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement