Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do i stop my dog barking at night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

sral1 wrote: »
    So you have 11 dogs but you have to resort to slapping to keep control. Who is the true leader of your pack ???????? certainly not you.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    another ceaser millan wanna be :eek: i said slapping a dog would stop it barking, i have no need to hit my dogs as they already know there place, and i'm sure i'm more in control of my dogs than anyone else on this site, but you could be right, maybe my dogs are realy in control :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh FFS you're more in control of your dogs than anyone else on this site? You realise that all credability you may have had went out the window with that arrogant and ignorant statement. (not that you care i'm sure as you have said already :rolleyes:) How could you possibly think that? You don't know half of the posters in this forum. What a ridiculous statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

but you could be right, maybe my dogs are realy in control :D

Will you let me in on their secret to controlling you?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

OP...u said the dogs were in separate kennels. Have u tried letting them sleek together? It must be confusing for the new guy to have a playmate all day and then be separated at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

sorry 11 dogs?

Are you like a rescue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Who wants to be Ceaser Milan, control dogs by bully boy physo-tactics, I certainly would not. When It comes to controlling out of control dogs you either have IT or you Don't...........Do you:eek:
    another ceaser millan wanna be :eek: i said slapping a dog would stop it barking, i have no need to hit my dogs as they already know there place, and i'm sure i'm more in control of my dogs than anyone else on this site, but you could be right, maybe my dogs are realy in control :D

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

kildareash wrote: »
    OP...u said the dogs were in separate kennels. Have u tried letting them sleek together? It must be confusing for the new guy to have a playmate all day and then be separated at night.

They roam around outside at night and can sleep in the same Kennel if they want but they usually chose to sleep in seperate kennels.

Last night she was very good but about 2 AM she saw a cat i think and started barking and i couldnt stop her after that.

I ended up letting the two of them in to sleep on the dog beds inside.

I live in a rented house so it is not ideal to have them sleeping inside but they seem ok.

I think i might try add a door to her kennel to stop other things annoying her and at night close the door and let her out in the morning early. I might do this even for a few weeks and she might learn to not bark.

What do peolple think of this idea???

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

hi op
    had a fairly similar problem to you in that our rescue (have him 2 years now) used to bark during the night when we first got him. basically i think it was a type of separation anxiety...solution? move his bed from down stairs to the landing! that way he could still see us and it was a comfort to him (may not an option for you though) if you only have him a week or so, he will still be settling in and could be very anxious and unsettled at the moment
    maybe if you try to teach him the 'speak' command for barking, that way you can also teach him 'stop or quiet'
    i would absolutly not slap him for barking, he is barking for a reson even if it is just because hes a bit nervous. he is in new surroundings and has been through a bit. I also wouldnt lock him in his kennel. even if its a big enough kennel it is still a dark, locked confined place and may make him worse in the long run, esp if he is hearing noises outside the kennel and cant go investigate! our rescue, possibly for similar reasons in the past, does not like confined spaces (even the en-suite loo is too enclosed for him)
    just saw your previous post. were both dog quiet when you let them sleep inside? if so, if they are both clean and house trained im sure no-one would be the wiser if they slept inside in teh night :)

ste2006 wrote: »
    What do peolple think of this idea???
    Good idea I think, but don't just expect her to be happy being locked in straight away. Take your time and have her get used to it before you lock her in.

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh FFS you're more in control of your dogs than anyone else on this site? You realise that all credability you may have had went out the window with that arrogant and ignorant statement. (not that you care i'm sure as you have said already :rolleyes:) How could you possibly think that? You don't know half of the posters in this forum. What a ridiculous statement.

thats fair enough mate but it was meant as a joke to the moron i was replying to, and i realy do care :( i broke into tears when i seen your nasty reply

• Advertisement

sligopark wrote: »
    sorry 11 dogs?

Are you like a rescue?

no need to apologise , no not a rescue, i'm a puppy farmer

sral1 wrote: »
    Who wants to be Ceaser Milan, control dogs by bully boy physo-tactics, I certainly would not. When It comes to controlling out of control dogs you either have IT or you Don't...........Do you:eek:

well i don't have any out of control dogs so i must :p

Will you let me in on their secret to controlling you?.

we both know thats impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Buy a bark collar in Argos, they are around €40 but well worth the money. When the dog barks it squirts out a puff of lemon scent, does the dog no harm whatsoever. The idea is that it distracts the dog and he will soon learn not to bark. I used one with a rescue dog I got from the DSPCA and have not had a problem.

Buy a bark collar in Argos, they are around €40 but well worth the money. When the dog barks it squirts out a puff of lemon scent, does the dog no harm whatsoever. The idea is that it distracts the dog and he will soon learn not to bark. I used one with a rescue dog I got from the DSPCA and have not had a problem.

that sounds very cruel to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

no need to apologise , no not a rescue, i'm a puppy farmer

Hope this is a joke?:confused:

thats fair enough mate but it was meant as a joke to the moron i was replying to, and i realy do care :( i broke into tears when i seen your nasty reply
    As I'm sure the person you just called a moron will when they see how little you think of them :rolleyes:. You really seem to want people to know you don't care. People likely got that from your first post.

I think it's pretty clear the OP is not going to slap their dog to get it to do what they want (and fair play to the OP for just ignoring it too instead of responding! not that you care of course) so any other tips to stop the dog barking at night?

I've always thought of my dad as an old school owner. His dogs are dogs and thats it. Treated as such, outdoor animals with a job. He can control his dogs with a nod of his head, in an open field, and doesn't have to resort to slapping. His dogs "know their place" to the point that he doesn't need to physically punish them and assert himself like that.

Whispered wrote: »

I've always thought of my dad as an old school owner. His dogs are dogs and thats it. Treated as such, outdoor animals with a job. He can control his dogs with a nod of his head

No need to lay the Glasgow kiss on the poor creatures.

One thing, if I'd a dog barking at night I wouldn't mind giving it a slap if I thought it would shut it up.

I'd recently a neighbour who had a barking dog, and I swear to good God if it was legal I'd have shot it, and the owner for not slapping it to shut it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

i know this is going to go down like a lead balloon but give the dog a slap when it cries and then ignore it, don't rub it or give it any afection, it will soon learn it does'nt get anything positive from crying, your company is what its looking for
    i have 11 dogs and none of them bark at nite, once a dog is feed exercised and has water and somewere warm to sleep theres no reason to cry

Ridiculous advice. The best way to overcome bad behaviour is to ignore it, and reward good behaviour, same as with kids.

After 5 years of listening to 3 of our neighbours dogs (2 on 1 side and 1 on the other) we have started throwing buckets of water over them each time they bark. We have a few buckets lined up, and it seems to be working.

The neighbour with the 1 dog did put a anti-bark collar on it, but that never worked.

Whats wrong with this statement....oh yeah I know - why the heck didnt you confront the neighbour like a grownup instead of sitting listening to the barking for five years and then throwing water? So sillly!

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »

if it was in pain it would be making the same noise during the day
    frightened is no reason to bark
    eh? dogs DO bark out of fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

andreac wrote: »
    You dont have to put manners on a dog by slapping it.

Times ya have to put manners on people by slapping them ... works both ways :D

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

snip

No need to lay the Glasgow kiss on the poor creatures.

One thing, if I'd a dog barking at night I wouldn't mind giving it a slap if I thought it would shut it up.

I'd recently a neighbour who had a barking dog, and I swear to good God if it was legal I'd have shot it, and the owner for not slapping it to shut it up.
    You'd want to see it, it's great. They're amazing to watch. I disagree with a lot of his sentiments about dogs and hunting etc but have nothing but respect for how he handles his dogs.

I don't agree with physically reprimanding a dog at all. But I don't think a tap on the nose is the end of the world, not to be recommended and would not do your relationship with the dog any good, but not like you're beating the dog up. However in this case, the OP's dog is a rescue & only with him a week, physically punishing it could have a bad effect on how the new dog settles in.

As for you not minding giving it a slap, well firstly I don't believe you :pac: and even if you did, I'm sure it would be a last resort after you tried other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

could you not put a muzzle on him at night?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    could you not put a muzzle on him at night?

how would this help????

how would this help????
    +1 muzzles dont (or at least shouldn't) stop the dog barking.

I'll tell you one thing about his advice, and I'm a long time user of this forum.

I'd take his advice on dogs before just about anyone else I know, esp. anyone on this forum.

Before getting my two lads, his was the advice I took on what type of dogs I should get for a family home, he was right then and he's never put me wrong since.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Roaster infracted and all references to his personal abuse removed.

• Advertisement

I'd take his advice on dogs before just about anyone else I know, esp. anyone on this forum.
    And thats fair enough, you know him and can make that judgement based on personal knowledge of him. But considering his first port of call in stopping the dog barking was slapping it, I'm sure you can understand why some people wouldn't agree there.

If he advised you to slap your dogs, before trying other methods of control, I'm sure you wouldn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement