Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

xzanti wrote: »
    We had our 4D scan on Sunday :D totally worth the money.. baby wouldn't move the little hands away from his/her face for ages so we were sent out with a can of coke to go walking around Blackrock.. When we came back the hands were down and we got loads of shots of his/her beautiful little face :D

I'm the proudest happiest mammy to be in the world.. totally in love, can't wait to hold my little bundle and kiss that little face :D:D I haven't been able to stop looking at the photos.. I've been sneaking loads of peeks of the ones on my phone during work hours :D roll on December !!!
    Our son looks just like his scan, they really are brilliant...they really are the most amazing little people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Xzanti your post is making me excited..... 23 weeks tomorrow and booked in for our 3d/4d scan in Blackrock in two weeks time. Can't wait now!

I still 'forget' sometimes that there's a little person in there, madness :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

sillysocks wrote: »
    Xzanti your post is making me excited..... 23 weeks tomorrow and booked in for our 3d/4d scan in Blackrock in two weeks time. Can't wait now!

I still 'forget' sometimes that there's a little person in there, madness :D

Awe you're gonna love it :D it really is a great way to start bonding early, and it's very reassuring, we got to count all the fingers and toes :D

Also, we know the gender but we're keeping to ourselves.. We didn't want to find out but the girl said that because he/she was positioned in a curved position it would be difficult to hide the genitals...

We didn't see anything when we were in there but on closer inspection of the dvd at home we saw it :D Delighted now that we know, it hasn't 'ruined' it all.. we can start proper shopping now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Cool! We had our 21 week scan at the hospital and they said everything down to fingers and toes was fine but it's so hard to make things out on those scans. The machines in the private places seem to give so much better pics even on 2d scans. We had much better pics from our 9 week private scan than the 12 week hospital one.

We already know it's a little miss we're expecting so it won't matter if the 3d scan shows anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

barbiegirl wrote: »
    I'm back to TCC hopefully I'll be back here soon :-(

Hugs sweetheart and hope you are ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

new_dad wrote: »
    My wife just found out yesterday that she's pregnant. I'm literally bursting to tell everyone but of course I can't yet....except you guys!

I honestly have never been this happy in my life, please god everything will go well between now and March.

/sings/

/waves/ 12 weeks today!!! Can finally tell everyone. just back from NMH, bit disappointed that there was no scan or heartbeat check or anything, but herself assures me she is most definitely pregnant, so what's another four weeks between friends..

tbh wrote: »
    /waves/ 12 weeks today!!! Can finally tell everyone. just back from NMH, bit disappointed that there was no scan or heartbeat check or anything, but herself assures me she is most definitely pregnant, so what's another four weeks between friends..
    Congratulations daddy in training, am thrilled for you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Congrats tbh- thrilled to hear your good news.
    You can get early scans done privately (from 8 weeks onwards) which confirm dating etc- alongside 3D scanning, we got it done in Swords- it kept Aoife happy in the early stages when Holles Street didn't want to do any unnecessary scanning.

We need to start a Daddies thread on progress on decluttering and baby proofing our homes :)

Shane

smccarrick wrote: »
    Congrats tbh- thrilled to hear your good news.
    You can get early scans done privately (from 8 weeks onwards) which confirm dating etc- alongside 3D scanning, we got it done in Swords- it kept Aoife happy in the early stages when Holles Street didn't want to do any unnecessary scanning.

We need to start a Daddies thread on progress on decluttering and baby proofing our homes :)

Shane

thanks Shane :) sent the private scan place in Swords an email today, fingers crossed they can fit us in tonight or tomorrow..

Congratulations! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Congratulations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Congratulations tbh, if the Swords place can't fit you in I recommend the RCSI unit in the Rotunda hospital, I had a scan done there at 12 weeks for reassurance on number 1 and they were fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭May79

Hello All. I've been off the thread for a few weeks trying to get my head around everything. I'm 6+4 weeks now. I found out via hpt i was pregnant at 2 weeks and got it confirmed by doc at 4+6 weeks. Anyway, feeling like i've been hit by a lorry. I have never been so exhausted. It's the most unbelieveable tiredness imaginable. My boobs are extremely tender and really quite big. I have to wear a bra in bed as they hurt when i move! No-one i ever knew pregnant mentioned these things!!!! I feel a little nauseous this morning. Not too bad though thankfully so maybe i'll get away without suffering that symptom? Headaches are appearing now and we're not allowed to take anything for them? I phoned consultants to get app. the first 2 i called were booked out for April (my due 'month') - One of them booked right from Feb - June!!! Anyway, the GP recommended a lady consultant in Craigavon so i'm happy enough. Cavan is 1 1/2 hours from me and Craigavon is 45mins. The crampy feeling in lower abs has subsided i think. I've put on a sight of weight, purely from eating all day everyday to try stay awake. Sorry for the long rant. Just letting all out seeing as i can't tell a soul for another few weeks yet! It feels like time is moving so slowly

hey all :) just an update. We did go for that ultrasound scan on Thursday last, and everything seemed great until we heard the words that'll stay with me forever : "I don't want to alarm you, but...." So it turns out that we had a nuchal thickness of 3.5mm which is obviously high. Anyway, the sonographer gave us the report to bring into NMH, which we duly did last friday. They were excellent, explained what it all meant, took bloods from herself and and booked us in for a scan this coming Thursday - hopefully the bloods will be back by then and we can get a good picture of the risk.

At first we were very shocked and worried, but the worst of the shock has passed now. We know that we have a higher than normal risk of our baby having downs, but that it's not a certainty. To be honest, I don't care - I just want him or her to be happy and healthy. If (s)he has downs, then we'll deal with it. Keep your fingers crossed for us! I'll let you know how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

:D I welcomed my little girl into the world 10 days ago, a week early! Waters broke at 4am, in Holles Street at 5am, walked the corridors and bounced on the ball for a bit and was in active labour by 7am. Went from 2cm to 8 really quickly and had baby at 9am. It was so much quicker than my first, which dragged out over 3 days and I had no stitches this time.

Managed to do it without an epidural and was up and about fairly quickly but even though I am in the catchment area fro early transfer home, I spent 2 nights in the hospital as baby was being monitored for Strep B. While the nurses are great, I have to say I found the stay in the very busy, noisy ward very stressful and was delighted to be leaving.

All going well so far, apart from her prefering to sleep during the day and raise holy hell by night!! Her big brother is still a bit too young to understand what an earth has arrived into his world but likes to spend time looking into her moses basket and trying to grab her feet :D

So delighted all went well and its such a nice feeling not being pregnant anymore. Good luck to all those expectant mums on the thread

tbh - You will get the same team as me then, they are very good there, you get a print out of your overall risk, remember that it is only statistics and they are not deffinitive. Am really wishing the best for you, your wife and little baby. Think of the scan as a chance to see your little baby again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Best of luck tbh to you and your missus.......thinking of ye:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, long term poster but going unreg for now - having all the pregnancy symptoms but a tiny bit too early to test yet, the only thing is that we have a young child already...what will be will be.

Hi, long term poster but going unreg for now - having all the pregnancy symptoms but a tiny bit too early to test yet, the only thing is that we have a young child already...what will be will be.

I have 5 months between my two and although it's tiring I wouldn't change it for the world. Good luck whatever the outcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I have 5 months between my two and although it's tiring I wouldn't change it for the world. Good luck whatever the outcome :)

I hope you mean 15 months Adrieanne ;)

• Advertisement

I hope you mean 15 months Adrieanne ;)

Hahaha I think I do... nah I meant I got pregnant on Saoirse when Addison was five months haha just busy trying to get the girls ready this morning and checking online haha!! There's 14 months between them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My sister has 17 months between her 2 and they are more like twins, they are so close for a boy and a girl it's amazing.

But I remember she was so terrified to tell everyone she was pregnant the second time, especially her doctor!

frightening times TBH. as cathy says, it's not always definitive. Best of luck to you and your wife x.x.x.x

howdy folks, thanks a million for your good wishes, believe me, I do really appreciate them. Anyway, an update on our soap opera!

So we went into Holles St. today, and saw the doc, who again was fantastic. They did another scan, the NT has gone from 3.5mm to 3.3mm, not as much of a reduction as I'd hoped! but at least it's a little better.
    The good news is that the bloods were brilliant, based on the bloods alone our risk is way lower than average. the docs summary was that the bloods were great, but the NT wasn't, so they can't really tell either way. Here's the way I look at it:

for trisomy 21: if you put 564 pregnant women in a room, one of them will have a baby with t21. In our case, 250 women just left the room, so we now have a 1:317 risk.
    (bloods: 1 in 4021, u/s 1 in 45)

for trisomy 13/18, if you put 1088 women in a room, one of them will have a baby with t13/18. In our case, they just brought 109 women into the room!
    (bloods: 1 in 7753, u/s: 1 in 172)

of course, in both cases, there's no reason whatsoever that we shouldn't and couldn't be the one.

So to my untrained way of thinking, it would appear that if it's going to be anything, it will potentially be a problem with the bubs' heart. The bloods suggest there is no chromosomal problem (based purely on statistics), but the NT suggests that there could be *a* problem. At least we were told that at the moment the babys heartbeat was very healthy looking.

But we'll find out soon enough, and to be honest, both of us are feeling pretty good about it, while we could have done with much better news, it was a long way from being devastating.

I'll bring ye up to speed as soon as we know more, but please god nothing will happen now for at least five weeks.

tbh was your beautiful little baby moving much or were they asleep?

CathyMoran wrote: »
    tbh was your beautiful little baby moving much or were they asleep?

spinning like a top! the doc went to take the measurement when the baby was lying on it's back and just as she was about to press the button, it turned to face us and waved :D baby has their daddies sense of humour, and from the looks of it their mammies nose :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

spinning like a top! the doc went to take the measurement when the baby was lying on it's back and just as she was about to press the button, it turned to face us and waved :D baby has their daddies sense of humour, and from the looks of it their mammies nose :)

Lol.....
    They say the more active the baby the more likely it is to be a boy. Not sure how true this is though. Its really nice and reassuring to see baby happily playing games!
    Best wishes,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

smccarrick wrote: »
    Lol.....
    They say the more active the baby the more likely it is to be a boy. Not sure how true this is though. Its really nice and reassuring to see baby happily playing games!
    Best wishes,

Shane

Oh I'd believe that! Had to lay on my left, then my right, then my left, then my right and then stand up and jiggle and then a few good prods later we got a lazy little wave from our laid back little lady!

Does anyone know what i can take for sore throat? I am 7 weeks and waken this morning with a pain in my throat that means i can't swallow. During my first gp visit she told me i can't take panadol. I can't take strepsils and i have been gargling salt water, honey and lemon all day but it feels so much worse. I won't get into gp until monday. help :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That's it just honey and salt water.

I was in agony early on in my pregnancy, couldn't swallow at all, none of the strepsils were suitable as they all had an active ingredient.

In the end I went to the doctor as she presumed I'd have to have an anti-biotic. But in the end I didn't need one. Also the spray I'd usually use was also off limits.

Try Bed (!)

Advertisement